PDA

View Full Version : Where's me bin?

Mark
23rd February 2009, 09:26
Can you believe my wheelie bin got stolen? I've only had it for 2 weeks :s

jim mcglinchey
23rd February 2009, 10:12
Around these parts the kids like to steal them and burn them, if you leave them out too early or dont get them back in quickly enough.

yodasarmpit
23rd February 2009, 17:00
Lost ours last month, the bin lorry ate it apparently :)
Local council arranged for a replacement, free of charge, however took 3 weeks to deliver it.

schmenke
23rd February 2009, 17:01
Our city is still in the dark ages with no wheelie-bins :s

GridGirl
23rd February 2009, 18:07
I read that as Black Country sland for 'Where have I been? and I was going to say you should know where you've been. As for you bin, I have no idea. :p

J4MIE
23rd February 2009, 22:37
I've heard the problem is worse in dodgy neighbourhoods :p :

BDunnell
23rd February 2009, 23:04
Some years ago I recall a story that Lewisham Council was starting to charge residents £20 for replacement wheelie bins after a spate of thefts and, said the report, a sighting of one Lewisham wheelie bin 'floating in the Sea of Galilee'.

leopard
24th February 2009, 02:48
I believe ...

24th February 2009, 08:23
We recently received our 3 wheelie bins. Food/garden waste, recyclables, rubbish. The recyclable being the biggest. Is that what you all have too?

millencolin
24th February 2009, 12:45
Wow, someone has stolen your wheelie bin?

Probably for the same reason I 'borrowed' wheelie bins.. To ride them down hills like a surfboard :p : In hindsight, its a really stupid idea.... but damn it was fun!

Mark
24th February 2009, 12:53
I read that as Black Country sland for 'Where have I been? and I was going to say you should know where you've been. As for you bin, I have no idea. :p

It works in geordie too ;)
Where's you bin? I've been to the town!
No, where's you wheelie bin? I've wheelie been to the town! :crazy:

Anyway, we're getting a new bin for free. And this one will be mined :evil:

gadjo_dilo
24th February 2009, 13:58
Can you believe my wheelie bin got stolen?
Yes I do as it's a current practice in my hometown.
Can you believe that some people steal it to make pickled cabbage in it?

I keep mine locked in the garage and take it out only on wednesday morning when they come to take the garbage.

Dave B
24th February 2009, 14:07
Our local council are pretty good with their rubbish collection, but do have a habit of leaving the empty bins out on the pavement - and woe betide anybody who doesn't reclaim their bins before the schools kick out.

Daniel
24th February 2009, 15:54
We recently received our 3 wheelie bins. Food/garden waste, recyclables, rubbish. The recyclable being the biggest. Is that what you all have too?

Dream on. Here in the UK recycling is soooo far behind what they do in Australia it's not funny.

We still have to seperate our stuff and we can't recycle cardboard but back in Australia we can recycle carboard and you just put it all in the one bin.

Hazell B
24th February 2009, 16:11
Our recycling bin was stolen, which didn't bother me too much as it contained nothing they could clone our lives from, and the council were brilliant about sending a new one pronto.

However, in some areas they charge twenty or thirty quid for replacements.
Mainly student areas, I've noticed ;)

Drew
25th February 2009, 20:09
Dream on. Here in the UK recycling is soooo far behind what they do in Australia it's not funny.

We still have to seperate our stuff and we can't recycle cardboard but back in Australia we can recycle carboard and you just put it all in the one bin.

You're council is sh*t, down here in Devon we recycle cardboard. When I say recycle, I mean it probably just ends up in a landfill somewhere in China anyway :p :

Ranger
26th February 2009, 03:28

Here in Oz we have 4 bins...Rubbish, vegetation, bottles and cans, paper and cardboard...pretty good!

Easy Drifter
26th February 2009, 06:17
In my (broken) gated complex I have to take my stuff to a central collection area. Then huge steel bins for garbage and several large bins, some for glass, plastics and cans and others for paper and cardboard, including waxed (juice) containers. It is collected by a private contractor.
The rest of the town has municipal garbage and recycling curbside collection.
Better than a friend of mine who lives in the Town of Haliburton. 20k round trip to the dump! No collection period.
Beer and liquor bottles are returnable and you pay a deposit when purchasing them. Return them and you get it back. We have beer stores and separate liquor stores but the returns all go to the 'Beer Store'. In my town we do not have a beer store so the liquor store handles most common brands of beer. The returns go to the local supermarket!

Daniel
26th February 2009, 12:05
You're council is sh*t, down here in Devon we recycle cardboard. When I say recycle, I mean it probably just ends up in a landfill somewhere in China anyway :p :

Yes our county is poop :p But we're not the only county who is crap at recycling.

yodasarmpit
26th February 2009, 22:11

We still have to seperate our stuff and we can't recycle cardboard but back in Australia we can recycle carboard and you just put it all in the one bin.Really?

We get 3 wheelie bins up here, Black one for regular garbage, Brown for garden and vegetable waste, and a Blue one for recyclable goods (paper, cardboard, and plastic).

Mark
27th February 2009, 09:14
Yep, it depends which council you have. In Gateshead, it's bottles and paper and that's it. But now I'm in County Durham (only about 5 miles away) we can recycle plastic and cardboard too.

Daniel
27th February 2009, 09:43
Yep, it depends which council you have. In Gateshead, it's bottles and paper and that's it. But now I'm in County Durham (only about 5 miles away) we can recycle plastic and cardboard too.
It's silly really. I'm sure there are a few counties who recycle most stuff but there are all to many who don't. In Perth all the councils recycle glass, cardboard, paper, plastic and so on and at least where my parents live you just put it all in the one bin and they sort it for you.

Mark
27th February 2009, 10:16
And the reality is that in Chester-le-Street and Gateshead it probably all goes to the same place in the end too!

Brown, Jon Brow
27th February 2009, 12:27
Can you believe my wheelie bin got stolen? I've only had it for 2 weeks :s

People stealing wheelie bins. There really is nothing to do around there!! :p

Mark
27th February 2009, 13:40
A horse for one bin.

yodasarmpit
27th February 2009, 16:43
A horse for one bin.
Looks like we listen to the same radio show on the way home from work :)

emporer_k
27th February 2009, 19:38
We had our recycling box stolen about 3 years ago and no sooner had the council agreed to send a new one out that the doorbell rang and there was the box just sitting in the middle of the drive with no obvious sign of how it got there .