PDA

View Full Version : Ireland's most wanted..

Drew
19th February 2009, 21:14
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7899171.stm?lss

:rotflmao: I spent probably a good half an hour laughing my arse of to that :rotflmao:

donKey jote
19th February 2009, 21:20
me too, classic :laugh:

I guess a certain Miguel Ratón is still being looked for in the UK too :erm:

Tazio
19th February 2009, 22:52
Ben Dover is running roughshod all over the states :laugh:

BDunnell
19th February 2009, 23:35
Reminds me of the story of the restaurant in China that wanted an English translation of its name in readiness for Western visitors during the Olympics, went online to get one, and ended up with a sign reading 'Translate Server Error'.

Cooper_S
19th February 2009, 23:38
I understand Kangaroo was a mistranslation.... or is that a myth

Tazio
20th February 2009, 00:44
Reminds me of the story of the restaurant in China that wanted an English translation of its name in readiness for Western visitors during the Olympics, went online to get one, and ended up with a sign reading 'Translate Server Error'.A Vietnamese Buffet opened up close to my home (San Diego) many years ago with a big Banner advertising
"You Can Eat All" :laugh:

Easy Drifter
20th February 2009, 02:33
Anybody who has tried to assemble a product made in China (or most oriental countries) where the instructions have not been vetted by a westener can tell of some very interesting instuctions.
Such as 'wall into plug insert.' or 'Product meets all eletrocution standards.'

leopard
20th February 2009, 02:49
Terrorists usually use lots of alias...

leopard
20th February 2009, 03:03
They might use that improper use of words by intention. I found a word of musification instead of the right one specification to advertise a non music-related-product as their attempt to make strong linkage between their product and music. It's a strategy. :)

Donney
20th February 2009, 08:17
Check this for translation mistakes:

http://www.engrish.com/

Eki
20th February 2009, 13:18
I wonder if they have caught the Finn named Ajokortti Körkort yet.

Eki
20th February 2009, 13:28
I understand Kangaroo was a mistranslation.... or is that a myth
Canada got its name when an immigrant pointed at a native village and asked a native what do they call the place and the native answered they call it "canada" (meant village in the native language).

Cooper_S
20th February 2009, 13:31
Great name for a country... but that make Canadians the Village People...?

I also heard that the Kola bear should be just the Kola as Kola mean bear...

donKey jote
20th February 2009, 21:24
Reminds me of the story of the restaurant in China that wanted an English translation of its name in readiness for Western visitors during the Olympics, went online to get one, and ended up with a sign reading 'Translate Server Error'.

Wasn't there an embarassing story in Wales recently, where a traffic sign actually meant "I am currently out of office" or something ? :laugh:

edit: ha! found it :D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7702913.stm

which also mentions another classic:
• In the same year, a sign for pedestrians in Cardiff reading 'Look Right' in English read 'Look Left' in Welsh.

Easy Drifter
20th February 2009, 22:09
Names can also be interesting.
As some of you know our store was in the town of Waubaushene on Georgian Bay. Some of the pronunciations, especially by those whose first tongue was not English were pretty funny. That is not a knock. Some Cdns. couldn't pronounce it either.
It is the English spelling of an Ojibway word meaning 'rocky marsh'. Anybody who has tried to navigate the local waters without staying in the marked channel or having local knowledge understands why!
Good for the local marina repair shops though.
Didn't hurt our fishing tackle sales either with a lot of lost lures and the odd broken rod when they got the line hung up on a rock.

Mark in Oshawa
21st February 2009, 21:22
Great name for a country... but that make Canadians the Village People...?

I don't know about you guys but I am scared if I meet Easy Drifter he might be wearing a hard hat and tool belt.....

Captain VXR
21st February 2009, 21:43
Check this for translation mistakes:

http://www.engrish.com/

http://engrishfunny.com/
This one is better :)

Easy Drifter
21st February 2009, 23:40
Nah. More likely wearing mocassins, buckskin and with a scalping knife.

leopard
23rd February 2009, 03:09
I am very tolerant against mistakes such as mistype unless it bears wrong different definition. The biggest error we may consider unacceptable english if It failed to distinguish verb and adv/adj, relating to the use in the sentence with or without 'to be' as the use of it may indicate an active and passive form.

Look at these:
I am eaten
I am slept

However we can't judge someone english because of influence of their culture or mother language. I don't have problem with an old friend from Afghanistan used to write me in capital.

Atop of above, we can't decide someone English is understandable if in fact ourselves who can't understand the words, idiomatic phrase, or any form of English we are not familiar with. :)

Tazio
23rd February 2009, 03:48
When did this thread turn serious :confused: ;)

Drew
23rd February 2009, 11:29
I am very tolerant against mistakes such as mistype unless it bears wrong different definition. The biggest error we may consider unacceptable english if It failed to distinguish verb and adv/adj, relating to the use in the sentence with or without 'to be' as the use of it may indicate an active and passive form.

Look at these:
I am eaten
I am slept

However we can't judge someone english because of influence of their culture or mother language. I don't have problem with an old friend from Afghanistan used to write me in capital.

Atop of above, we can't decide someone English is understandable if in fact ourselves who can't understand the words, idiomatic phrase, or any form of English we are not familiar with. :)

You've just made a huge ironic post, whether you realise it or not :confused:

leopard
24th February 2009, 02:41
You've just made a huge ironic post, whether you realise it or not :confused:

:confused:

SOD
24th February 2009, 12:44
those crafty Poles. :erm:

:laugh: