PDA

View Full Version : how cheap to replace head gasket?

steve_spackman
13th February 2009, 21:42
head gasket gone on car..can it be done without taking it to car shop?

MrJan
13th February 2009, 22:37
My old man did it with an old Austin 7, but then you are talking about the entry level for cars and it's fairly good stuff to cut your teeth on. I'd suggest taking it somewhere, although if the thing has run with water in it for any length of time then you may be better looking at THIS (http :\ \www.autotrader.co.uk) website. If you can get it fixed then just phone around a few mechanics in your area, or try visting a forum that is specific for your car which can give advice as to standard costs.

Easy Drifter
13th February 2009, 22:57
Depends on the car and how much stuff also has to be removed for the backyard mechanic to do it. Have you got the right tools?
It used to be easy and I have dealt with a lot more than head gaskets on race cars. Like re built race engines.
Today I wouldn't touch a modern car with all the pollution stuff and other junk.
I still have about $20,000.00 worth of tools but the modern street car is too complex without a shop.
If you still do want to try, get a shop manual and a couple of the after market manuals.
Once had a problem with a Honda Civic distributor and only one of 3 books had the correct way to do it!
Sorry to be a pessimist Steve.
An old time race car wrench speaking.
I even learned a bit working beside some young mechanic called Ron Dennis.

Azumanga Davo
14th February 2009, 03:18
Spooky, I just popped one last whilst racing. A gasket for an L26, a not-too-common engine these days, will set me back around AUS$15 for the part. Labour costs can vary dpending on whether you can do the work yourself, or like me, know a very handy mechanic. That last part can take a while through trial and error.

Jag_Warrior
14th February 2009, 04:54
I even learned a bit working beside some young mechanic called Ron Dennis.

No s###! You actually worked with Ron Dennis back in the day?

Easy Drifter
14th February 2009, 05:20
It was called gopher but I did learn from sort of helping.

Hazell B
14th February 2009, 09:44
We've done loads on Land Rovers (I'm hard on them :p : ) and it's cheap but hard work with heavy lifting. Takes about five hours in all. If I could lift the heads off, I'd be able to do the job alone - so you know it's damned easy :D

jim mcglinchey
14th February 2009, 09:54
head gasket gone on car..can it be done without taking it to car shop?

If you need to ask, then the answer is no.

Valve Bounce
14th February 2009, 10:49
If you need to ask, then the answer is no.

Quite true. The problem here is, and nobody has told you yet, is whether you have the necessary tools, especially a tension wrench and the correct tension to apply to the head bolts.

Of course, the difficulty these days doesn't come just with the head, but all the fuel management ancillaries. Not know what sort of car you own, it is difficult to determine. If you had a Peugeot 403, just for argument sake, you'd need to reset the rockers and probably give the valves a grind. If you have something these days with overhead cams, Variable valve timing, computer controlled fuel injection, and a computer to re-tune the engine, then you'd better let a reliable mechanic do it (in my opinion).

Maybe if you told us what sort of car you have and the amount of cash you don't have....................................

Glen 320
14th February 2009, 14:58
Its not a Rover with a k series engine is it?
If it is you'll be doing it about once a month!

vauxhall corsa
14th February 2009, 14:59
for a gasket not that much

Easy Drifter
14th February 2009, 16:59
I did mention the right tools. :p :
One thing I didn't say is that head gasket failure on most cars today is a bit of a rarity. That said there are a few prone to it.
The big question is why did it fail. Did the engine overheat? If so why?
No point in replacing a head gasket if the cause is not determined.
Next question is did the head warp? It is quite possible especially with aluminum heads or is it porous? It happens.
Even a block can warp again especialy aluminum.
All that should be checked.
If either are warped then they may be able to be shaved. Maybe not depending on how bad the warpage is.
That requires an automotive machine shop.
If shaved things get more complicated on reassmbly with clearances and adjustments. Sometimes you can obtain a thicker head gasket or use two to offset the material lost in trueing up the surfaces but either are more prone to future failure.
On the majority of modern cars it is best to let a pro do it, especially if the services of an automotive machine shop are required.
Even to do race engines without all the pollution junk and other stuff I had all sorts of micrometers, expensive calipers, dial gauges, feeler gauges and calibrated levels.
For road cars today you pretty well need an electronic diagnostic gauge to set things properly. A good timing light is also probably required.
I wouldn't tackle a road car today myself.

steve_spackman
14th February 2009, 17:56
Quite true. The problem here is, and nobody has told you yet, is whether you have the necessary tools, especially a tension wrench and the correct tension to apply to the head bolts.

Of course, the difficulty these days doesn't come just with the head, but all the fuel management ancillaries. Not know what sort of car you own, it is difficult to determine. If you had a Peugeot 403, just for argument sake, you'd need to reset the rockers and probably give the valves a grind. If you have something these days with overhead cams, Variable valve timing, computer controlled fuel injection, and a computer to re-tune the engine, then you'd better let a reliable mechanic do it (in my opinion).

Maybe if you told us what sort of car you have and the amount of cash you don't have....................................

the car in question is a 2003 chevy cavalier coupe. The car belongs to a friend of mine..she only just found out about the head gasket, when she took it to have oil change etc

Valve Bounce
14th February 2009, 23:52
the car in question is a 2003 chevy cavalier coupe. The car belongs to a friend of mine..she only just found out about the head gasket, when she took it to have oil change etc

Look under the hood :- do you recognise anything there at all? If not, leave it to a mechanic.

I almost forgot : do not use that liquid head gasket stuff that you add to the radiator; it doesn't work, but it will clog up your radiator.

Basically, Easy Drifter has provided you with the best advice here.

Easy Drifter
15th February 2009, 03:10
I keep thinking of things. It has been a while.
You will need a garage or bldg. with very good light.
Valve mentioned a tension wrench or as I call them a torque wrench and a good one. Most pointer types are not all that accurate and often being able to read them is tricky if not directly over them. I had 2 regularily calibrated 'click' foot pound and one inch pound wrenches. Dial or digital are good and today I would get a digital one.
Against the cost of having a garage do the work you also have to take into account how much you might have to spend on tools. What I have is extreme but I am talking race engines revving at the time up to 14,000 rpm. We used many different components rather than stock but measured everything, new or not. We could find say supposedly matched pistons from name racing manufacturers with different weights or even slightly different diameters. Not acceptable in a race engine. I am talking thousands of an inch.
A garage should warranty their work.
Many aftermarket parts (by no means all) are inferior so sometimes a dealer is the best bet. If you use aftermarket use name brands and see if there is a warranty.

Valve Bounce
15th February 2009, 08:03
I remember when I first looked under the hood of my Peugeot 403 - I recognised everything I saw. :)
Now, I lifted the hood of my Cross Country, and all I can find, after much searching, is the cap I have to remove to refill my windscreen washers. Nothing else.
And many years ago, I prided myself as being an innovative Greaser

raybak
15th February 2009, 09:01
Take the car to a garage, you don't know what other problems there may be.

I'm lucky enough to have a fully fitted out workshop and it's still a mongrel of ajob to change a head gasket, it takes at least 1.5 hours to finish the job with all the right tools and good knowledge of the car.

Ray

steve_spackman
15th February 2009, 14:46
thanks for all advice guys...

Easy Drifter
16th February 2009, 01:27
You are welcome Steve.
We may not agree on much but I do not want to see you get in over your head.

Azumanga Davo
16th February 2009, 04:34
Bleedin' 'eck, price has gone up to $50 for the part (which requires a week to get) and $600 to fit the damn thing...

Valve Bounce
16th February 2009, 07:38
Bleedin' 'eck, price has gone up to $50 for the part (which requires a week to get) and $600 to fit the damn thing...

Yeah!! don't get too excited or you will blow a head gasket!! :eek: