PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Red Bull RB5 Launched early! First pictures!!

Giuseppe F1
7th February 2009, 18:08
OFFICIAL: Red Bull RB5 Launched early! First pictures!!

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/photos/imgactu/zoom09/redbull-launch-z-01_070209.jpg

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090207133420.shtml

The Red Bull RB5 unveiled!
Animated clip previews Monday's official launch
07/02/09 13:34

Red Bull shows the KERS system in function
The Red Bull RB5 will officially be presented on Monday February 9th at the Jerez circuit in Spain, but we can already present the car to you thanks to a spectacular 3D animation video showcasing the differences between the RB4 and the new RB5.

The computer-animated clip features Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel racing on track, as they bring to life the biggest rule changes in the history of Formula One.

Last season's car morphs into the current Red Bull Racing car, showing all the bodywork changes from nose to rear wing. Then the bodywork is removed to expose the KERS system, engine and inner parts. Only through computer animation can a car switch from grooved tyres to slicks without even stopping...

Mark Webber recently said the RB5 was the best-looking car of 2009 – here's your chance to make your own opinion!

The clip is available in the F1-Live.com multimedia section. To see the video, please click here

D.B. © CAPSIS International

Giuseppe F1
7th February 2009, 18:10
PLAY VIDEO DEMO OF NEW CAR HERE:

http://www.redbullracing.com/4th-Sector/Webber--Vettel-Rip-Through-The-Rule-Book/

Giuseppe F1
7th February 2009, 18:13
Im sorry, but that video demo is...

...Absolutely ####ing AMAZING!

GO RED BULL F1!

Giuseppe F1
7th February 2009, 18:20
You Tube Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0swe8RYutKY

Giuseppe F1
7th February 2009, 18:27
How close to the ground do them rear wing end-plates look?!!

jens
7th February 2009, 20:18
Slim nose? At least someone is similar to Toyota. :p : Red Bull seems also among one of the few, who has included sidepod-winglets into their design. Won't tell much more than that at the moment. Good video though. :) And nice spin by Seb. :p :

ykiki
7th February 2009, 20:57
How close to the ground do them rear wing end-plates look?!!

In the video (around 00:58), it looks like they connect to the undertray behind the axel.

harvick#1
7th February 2009, 21:15
for once, a F1 car that doesn't look that bad, I like the Ferrari also, but thats about it, the cars are just horrible

christophulus
7th February 2009, 21:26
Fantastic video, I don't really think the new cars are as ugly as they could have been.

ShiftingGears
7th February 2009, 22:40
THe RB5 looks great.

Powered by Cosworth
8th February 2009, 01:00
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1811/redbullvs2.jpg

Christ they are low!

Absolutely great video.

millencolin
8th February 2009, 09:16
amazing video..... bring on the launch

RJL25
8th February 2009, 21:26
Mark Webber had been saying in the press that he thought the new RB5 was a very beautiful car which "given the 2009 regs is no mean feat!"

based on this, i'd have to agree with him that it looks good, but i'll reserve final judgement till the real pics emerge

AJP
9th February 2009, 07:46
Sweeeet !!!!!

ArrowsFA1
9th February 2009, 11:14
Shame about those (supposedly banned) bargeboards :dozey: but other than that it looks pretty good for a 2009 car.

ioan
9th February 2009, 11:44
Looking good, let's see how fast it runs now.

Ranger
9th February 2009, 12:57
A few pics:

Rear suspension:
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/117923.jpg

Very low rear:
http://www.f1-live.com/f1/photos/2009/tests23/diapo_102.jpg

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/photos/2009/tests23/diapo_101.jpg

Fused BMW horns:
http://www.f1today.nl/fotos/ro2dg5la4.jpg

Unless Ferrari make the rear 3rd of their car better looking, this one takes the cake for aesthetic value. :up:

Hope it's fast.

wedge
9th February 2009, 13:14
By far the most interesting car released and not surprisingly a Newey inspired tight package.

The rear wing endplates form part of the diffuser - looks like an 80s Indycar. I'm surprised very few have done this to stretch the limits of the rules considering the diffuser regs.

Nose cone reminds me of Ferrari. Barge-board/deflecters area looks amalgamation of Ferrari and McLaren.

Interesting of all they're using pull rod and not push rod setup at the rears to lower the centre of gravity. What's the pros and cons of pull rod suspension?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73191

RJL25
9th February 2009, 13:29
Adrien Newey attacks the new regs more aggressively then anyone else...

... no surprises there!

nigelred5
9th February 2009, 14:21
Definitely a nice clean tidy looking design, and the Red Bull colors certainly don't hurt mattes. Definitely the nicest looking of the 09 reg cars. The BMW is hideoous.

jens
9th February 2009, 15:59
Fused BMW horns:
http://www.f1today.nl/fotos/ro2dg5la4.jpg

Now that's an interesting solution and I have been wondering for some time, how will the teams start trying get around the "winglet-ban" by the shaping of the car. I think this is only the beginning and I'm starting to wonder, where will FIA put the dividing line: from where does the bodyshape become a winglet?

benjabulle
9th February 2009, 17:26
The photos in high resolution to get all the details :

http://www.gurneyflap.com/formule109.html

9th February 2009, 17:31
Shame about those (supposedly banned) bargeboards :dozey:

They are not banned.

There are areas where the regulations allow them.

philipbain
9th February 2009, 18:18
The rear suspension is an area of interest, a rather back to the future solution of pullrod suspension! The last team in my knowledge to use pullrod suspension were Arrows for the front suspension in 2001 and even then it hadnt been seen in F1 since 1991. the main advantages of pull rod suspension are that the rods themselves can be slimmer as the rod is used in tension rather than compression (carbon fibre is more effective in tension, hence the component can be slimmer and take the same loadings as an equivalent push rod) and it allows different packaging solutions, in this case mounting the spring / damper units to the side of the gearbox to allow a more scupted rear end. Overall a really interesting car and if its a quick as it looks it ought to be competitive, especially in the hands of Vettel. It must be noted, the Ferrari that launched first is looking like a car with 2 or 3 seasons less development on it, being so ludicrously conservative in it's design by comparison.

nigelred5
9th February 2009, 19:10
Either some of the teams have taken the new regs much more literally or they have to be holding their cards close to their chest until the season starts.

I wonder what is with the vertical pillars on the Ferrari and I think the Toyota at the front corners of the side pods?

BoilerIMS
9th February 2009, 20:50
Anyone else notice that the exhaust tips are directly underneath the upper wishbone? Not that the exhaust tips are exceedingly far from the rear suspension for the other cars, but they are very close together in the RB5. It seems like the upper wishbone will become quite warm.

Sleeper
9th February 2009, 21:56
By far the most aggressively designed car we've seen so far, and I doubt the Force India will be more so. Looks fantastic too.

ioan
9th February 2009, 22:05
Anyone else notice that the exhaust tips are directly underneath the upper wishbone? Not that the exhaust tips are exceedingly far from the rear suspension for the other cars, but they are very close together in the RB5. It seems like the upper wishbone will become quite warm.

Overheating cars are the norm with Newey, so no surprise there.
BTW today that had to stop after only 14 laps because they didn't know why the gearbox oil was to hot!
Well, maybe because there is not enough cooling for it?! Chronic disease of Newey designs, fast but highly unreliable cars.

truefan72
9th February 2009, 23:14
BTW today that had to stop after only 14 laps because they didn't know why the gearbox oil was to hot!
Well, maybe because there is not enough cooling for it?! Chronic disease of Newey designs, fast but highly unreliable cars.

you would think he would have learned by now, but as usual with newy he probably had the mechanical engineers take a backseat to his design ideas. So when the car breaks down he can say that it isn' this fault ( when it actually is)

his cars never ever strike the right balance. The only time they performed well was when he had a strong counterpart on the other side able to demand some modifications for reliability sake.

btw it seems darker colors make these cars better, as they disguise the utter retro specs these cars have had to go with. I bet you that if BMW had a dark blue or black livery, it would make the car look 10x better

K-Pu
9th February 2009, 23:34
Good looking car, and also with some interesting features...

But we will see if its design can overcome all the engine trouble they had last year.

wedge
10th February 2009, 00:04

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73191

A striking feature is the small size of the sidepods: these taper down and inwards far more than other cars, and neither are they undercut, instead flaring outwards at their base. Their small size appears to be largely as a result of Red Bull finding different places for cooling outlets, there being two removable panels each side of the engine cover to vent hot air, one being high up near the pointed section of the engine cover and the other being in the unpainted section of bodywork above the exhaust outlet.

These are rendition to the normal exit at the end of the coke bottle shape, which is correspondingly much smaller in order to send more flow over the diffuser and beam wing. The aim seems to be the overriding philosophy for the tail of the RB5, the conventional shape of this area and the mechanical parts it contains has been discarded in favour of far more innovative ideas.

call_me_andrew
10th February 2009, 03:23
A few pics:

Rear suspension:
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/117923.jpg

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a pull-rod rear suspension?

Ranger
10th February 2009, 06:36
Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a pull-rod rear suspension?

Certainly is.

I'm not yet qualified as an engineer but they lower the car's centre of gravity and that's about as much as I understand so far.

Looks a bit fragile though!

ArrowsFA1
10th February 2009, 08:35
They are not banned.

There are areas where the regulations allow them.
Pardon me for thinking that one of the intentions of the 2009 regs was to remove the various small aero appendages from the cars.

By and large that intention has been achieved, with the clean lines of the bodywork being a vast improvement IMHO. However, not having read the regs recently, I don't know whether small aero appendages are specifically allowed in certain areas, or whether the teams are exploiting a loophole in the regs to claw back some of the aero efficiency they have lost.

Either way I suspect this is an area where we'll see further development.

Civic
10th February 2009, 10:22
Haven't really followed the regs but will this year's Toro Rosso car look like the RB5? Both cars last year looked aerodynamically similar in a way that was reminiscent of the 1995-96 Benettons and Ligiers and the 2004 Ferrari and 2005 Sauber.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th February 2009, 11:36
I really like the look of this car. Makes the BMW and Renault look even worse.

Robinho
10th February 2009, 12:37
video is amazing and the car looks great, i hope the hype isn't misplaced

wedge
10th February 2009, 12:53
Pardon me for thinking that one of the intentions of the 2009 regs was to remove the various small aero appendages from the cars.

By and large that intention has been achieved, with the clean lines of the bodywork being a vast improvement IMHO. However, not having read the regs recently, I don't know whether small aero appendages are specifically allowed in certain areas, or whether the teams are exploiting a loophole in the regs to claw back some of the aero efficiency they have lost.

Either way I suspect this is an area where we'll see further development.

There's a rule/loophole (depending on interpretion) where you can add a 'simple' aero device infront of the sidepods and of a certain dimension. Upper body aero bits and pieces on the rest of the car is banned. Even the shark gill louvres though they've been replaced with strategically placed louvres.

ArrowsFA1
10th February 2009, 13:04
There's a rule/loophole (depending on interpretion) where you can add a 'simple' aero device infront of the sidepods and of a certain dimension.
Thanks wedge :up: Can't understand why that rule would be there though :dozey: Why allow something that the rules were intended to get rid of? :crazy:

K-Pu
10th February 2009, 13:16
Thanks wedge :up: Can't understand why that rule would be there though :dozey: Why allow something that the rules were intended to get rid of? :crazy:

It seems that´s the spirit of F1. If you put it politely, it is "some kind of metaphorical contradiction", if you put it simply, it is "WTF?"

wedge
10th February 2009, 13:20

It's only one very small area of the car for freedom for the designers.

You'll notice that the current bargeboards (not the shields) are far more simple than they were in the 90s which had a much more broader profiles.

ioan
10th February 2009, 14:11

I might be wrong but I think it's the part of the chassis where the side impact structure is and because of this the FIA chose to impose no restriction there, so they are all exploiting that area to the max (no pun intended).

ArrowsFA1
10th February 2009, 18:12
I might be wrong but I think it's the part of the chassis where the side impact structure is and because of this the FIA chose to impose no restriction there, so they are all exploiting that area to the max (no pun intended).
No, I think you may be right :up: I seem to remember reading something about the side impact area. Still, it's a shame that some of the aero bits are still there, but I like your pun :s mokin:

ioan
10th February 2009, 20:34
No, I think you may be right :up: I seem to remember reading something about the side impact area. Still, it's a shame that some of the aero bits are still there, but I like your pun :s mokin:

I did read plenty of things about the new cars too, but at a certain moment is difficult to remember everything right and even more difficult to know what is right and what is wrong from all the info available!
I guess I'll try to see if I find some time to read the regs, but I doubt it will happen. :D