PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Sevens Tournament

7th February 2009, 08:01
Usually I have no interest in rugby but I'm making an exception for the final between England and New Zealand which has just started. The spectators are having a great time, amazing atmosphere.

Mark in Oshawa
7th February 2009, 10:45
You live in New Zealand but hold little interest in Rugby? Man...that has to be up there with living in Canada and not liking Hockey or Curling!!!

8th February 2009, 04:35
And..........here we are in the middle of summer with a lot of 30degC days and international rugby competition (super 14 or something) is about to start - it will be all over the tv and radio :( I thought rugby was a winter game. How long are the hockey and curling seasons in Canada?

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2009, 05:06
Hockey season is really too long truth be told. Training camp for the juniors starts in September with the Pro's starting about halfway through September. The NHL doesn't finish until well into June (once upon a time the Stanley Cup was done by March)...then in the 50's it was April. In the 70's the season stretched into May...and now June.

Curling? Well there isn't any pro league, just a pro tour and it starts in October mixed in with the various provincial playdowns. The women and men are done their national championships ( The Scott Tournament of Hearts for the women, the Tim Horton's "Brier" for the men ) by March and the Worlds are usually in the first week of April at the latest.

As for Rugby in Canada, here it is a summer sport believe me..lol

stevie_gerrard
10th February 2009, 12:56
Rugby Sevens is a sport that i love to watch :) I remember when England used to make mincemeat out of everyone in this competition, they would always have great players like Varndell or Tait (who is now part of the England Rugby Union Squad, even if that isn't much achievement :p : ).

They used to show Rugby Sevens on ITV here in the UK, but i havent seen it on lately :( I've been following the progress on the IRB Rugby podcast. Any UK watchers of Rugby Sevens got any idea what channel they put it on?

schmenke
10th February 2009, 15:17
Why no thread on the Six Nations tournament? :mark:

pino
10th February 2009, 16:34
Why no thread on the Six Nations tournament? :mark:

I believe this thread is about Six Nations Tournament ;)

Go Italy :p :

schmenke
10th February 2009, 17:43
Odd, I don't see New Zeland on the schedule :p :

11th February 2009, 00:17
I suppose we need to add the tri nations to the mix on this thread. I think it's the oval ball again.