PDA

View Full Version : Football fans finally get a taste what F1 fans had to deal with from ITV

Somebody
5th February 2009, 01:28
Apparently, last night (now), ITV managed to go to an ad break just in time to miss the only goal of an FA Cup game (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/05/everton-liverpool-itv1-goal-adverts).

After all the times ITV managed to pick the worst possible moment to stick an ad break in F1 races, I feel a certain sense of schadenfraude coming on...

callum122
5th February 2009, 03:30
If my memory is correct, ITV would have been covering the 2005 Suzuka GP?

Mark
5th February 2009, 07:22
This incident is particular embarassing as unlike with F1; ITV don't show adverts during football matches. So it was doubly unfortunate that not only did they show an advert by mistake, but it was at the exact moment a goal was scored.

I'd imagine because it was extra time there had been an advert break scheduled in for then as part of the post match coverage, but someone forgot to turn off the automatic system, oops.

Storm
5th February 2009, 07:28
Hilarious really...for non football fans that is...

christophulus
5th February 2009, 08:21
I was watching the match and didn't notice it wasn't live, still saw the goal.

Did have to laugh though, football fans can finally see what the F1 fans complain about :)

MrJan
5th February 2009, 09:25
Have a heart for those of us that like both sports, I had to put up with the Imola incident and last nights balls up.

I went f***king mental when they went to an ad and then returned for us to see the Everton players celebrating a goal. ITV are an embarassment of a TV station and should be put down as soon as possible because they do absolutely nothing of any value. 120 minutes of football and they manage to miss the most important part :angryfire

harsha
5th February 2009, 09:28
rofl...

we get to see that in cricket a lot too...they take the break a ball before the over is completed and return after the next delivery and poof...a wicket goes :( :( :(

Storm
5th February 2009, 10:21
Have a heart for those of us that like both sports

...120 minutes of football and they manage to miss the most important part

I know....I am one of those too hence my earlier comment.

Imagine if ITV had been showing Turkey games during the Euros last year....would have missed all their goals LOL.

555-04Q2
5th February 2009, 10:27
You guys need to get a decent satellite account. DSTV in South Africa provides me with uninterupted coverage of every European soccer match, cricket matches, motorsport races etc etc.

Andrewmcm
5th February 2009, 10:41
The man on the ad break button must have been a Liverpool fan!

Bobby_Hamlin
5th February 2009, 11:25
Yes this is hardly unprecedented for ITV F1 viewers. I still recall Magny-Cours 2003 when they 'accidentally' went to a break on the last lap and had to quickly haul it back in a mis-sized screen just after Ralf Schumacher crossed the line to win.

philipbain
5th February 2009, 12:42
ITV's sports coverage has a long lineage of being decidedly rubbish, though I thought thier F1 coverage would have been decent if it wasnt for all those bloody adverts!! As for thier football coverage, ads or no ads thier coverage is just plain pants, which is always highlighted during the World Cup or the European Championships when BBC & ITV share the coverage, usually alternating matches between the two, though when it comes to the biggest games (usually if england get through to the quarter or semi finals) both networks will cover the same match live, which is pointless as the vast majority of the viewers will choose to watch the BBC as thier coverage is always a class act and crucially without advert breaks.

As for putting an advert break in during a match, that is not considered to be "on", not many people realise this but ITV did actually experiment with putting ad breaks in during play when they covered Intertoto Cup matches pre-season a few years ago, playing any action that happened during the break as an instant replay when they came back (sound familiar F1 fans?), but this experiment was dismissed as a dismal failure as it left the game feeling dis-jointed as well as often missing crucial action and incidents (yet somehow when advert breaks in F1 had the same result they declared it an unequivical success!).

This year, I and many others will miss the FA Cup final being on the beeb, but having F1 on the beeb more than makes up for it!!

Dave B
5th February 2009, 13:11
I don't care for football but I can well understand why viewers are outraged about this. It's all down to money: ITV used a automated playout system and didn't bother having anybody competent in a position to over-ride it.

They really are utterly hopeless for such a major channel.

PS: a thousand complaints (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/05/fa-cup-itv-boss-sorry-for-missing-goal)at the last count.

Knock-on
5th February 2009, 13:20
That's another one for the dole office then :D

GridGirl
5th February 2009, 13:46
Don't forget that its the adverts that enable ITV to be able to show the football in the first place. :) Although I think only £250k per match gets given to the teams for FA cup matches shown on tv. It's practically pocket change to both teams concerned anyway. Hell you only get £1m in prize money for winning the entire thing. :p

Bezza
5th February 2009, 15:20
The lack of adverts and keeping sport away from ITV is enough for me to be happy paying my TV license.

I was watching last night, it came on just before they scored. You can't trust ITV with everything - they schedule their adverts first before their programmes

philipbain
5th February 2009, 17:30
It is often said of ITV that they don't make programmes, they provide audiences for thier advertisers!

Tazio
5th February 2009, 17:53
Apparently, last night (now), ITV managed to go to an ad break just in time to miss the only goal of an FA Cup game (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/05/everton-liverpool-itv1-goal-adverts).

After all the times ITV managed to pick the worst possible moment to stick an ad break in F1 races, I feel a certain sense of schadenfraude coming on...I know that you are referring to European Football.
But along the same lines (and this is quite a while befor most of ya' awl-Boys were born). Hell I was only in eighth grade. :)

Have you ever heard of the Heidi Bowl?

In professional American football, the Heidi Game (often referred to, facetiously, as the "Heidi Bowl") refers to a famous American Football League (AFL) game between the New York Jets and the Oakland Raiders, played on November 17, 1968 in Oakland, California. This game is memorable largely as the result of a decision by the NBC television network to terminate the broadcast in the Eastern and Central time zones with 65 seconds left to play in the game in favor of broadcasting a pre-scheduled airing of Heidi, a new made-for-TV version of the classic children's story.

With the Jets leading 32-29 with only 65 seconds left in the game, NBC programmers, eager to maintain their evening schedule, switched off the ostensibly-decided game. However, the Raiders came back and scored 14 points, winning 43-32.
Whoops :dozey:

BDunnell
5th February 2009, 17:53
If ITV were to cease existing tomorrow, now that Inspector Morse is available on DVD no-one ought to miss it.

jonny hurlock
5th February 2009, 19:33
i missed most of the game because i went out, turned onto the 2nd half of extra time, see that accident that itv made ha ha, pure Hilarious, the beeb must be laughing at that, oh well bbc got the f1 this year, and also their bbc iplayer works too on macs compered to itvs, so f1 repeats on the net

Tazio
5th February 2009, 21:08
Have a heart for those of us that like both sports, I had to put up with the Imola incident and last nights balls up.

I went f***king mental when they went to an ad and then returned for us to see the Everton players celebrating a goal. ITV are an embarassment of a TV station and should be put down as soon as possible because they do absolutely nothing of any value. 120 minutes of football and they manage to miss the most important part :angryfire Chill Bro :)
At least you didn't soil yourself! :up:
Or did you? :crazy:

viper_man
5th February 2009, 23:03
This will roll on for ages, it really is a massive screw up by ITV.

The F.A Cup coverage on the whole has been poor, they seem to just trudge through it, whereas you cant have any complaints about their Champions League coverage. You'd think they'd be able to manage one if they can do the other.

But as far as the incident the other night goes, the F.A will probably not be offering ITV the rights for next season. You cant beat BBC for F.A Cup coverage.

jonny hurlock
5th February 2009, 23:11
This will roll on for ages, it really is a massive screw up by ITV.

The F.A Cup coverage on the whole has been poor, they seem to just trudge through it, whereas you cant have any complaints about their Champions League coverage. You'd think they'd be able to manage one if they can do the other.

But as far as the incident the other night goes, the F.A will probably not be offering ITV the rights for next season. You cant beat BBC for F.A Cup coverage.

yeah,

would it be kayos if it happen to hamilton last lap in brazil last year, or with the champions league final with man utd 2 goals in the 2 mins in barcalona 10 years back

Bezza
6th February 2009, 09:51

Sadly, I think the FA will still give ITV and Setanta the rights out of spite against the BBC. This is why they gave them to ITV in the first place - because the BBC pundits heavily critized the England national team for bad performances, which were well worth criticizing! The FA are even more of a joke than ITV - they know that ITV will say "England are great" even when they are awful.

Valve Bounce
6th February 2009, 11:10

After all the times ITV managed to pick the worst possible moment to stick an ad break in F1 races, I feel a certain sense of schadenfraude coming on...

When I was in Hong Kong, TVB Pearl managed to miss a goal during the Soccer World Cup by going to an ad. Soccer, unfortunately, is not a game where advertisement breaks are possible unless you have a delayed telecast.

Mark
6th February 2009, 12:45
When I was in Hong Kong, TVB Pearl managed to miss a goal during the Soccer World Cup by going to an ad. Soccer, unfortunately, is not a game where advertisement breaks are possible unless you have a delayed telecast.

They usually only have adverts at half-time. I believe during normal play is actually illegal in the UK.

Dave B
6th February 2009, 14:26
Sadly, I think the FA will still give ITV and Setanta the rights out of spite against the BBC. This is why they gave them to ITV in the first place - because the BBC pundits heavily critized the England national team for bad performances, which were well worth criticizing! The FA are even more of a joke than ITV - they know that ITV will say "England are great" even when they are awful.

If you look up "conflict of interests" in a dictionary, is there a picture of Brian Barwick?

BDunnell
6th February 2009, 18:27
If you look up "conflict of interests" in a dictionary, is there a picture of Brian Barwick?

There could also be pictures of many sports pundits, for that matter...

call_me_andrew
7th February 2009, 23:45
There was another situation like that in the U.S. last April. Fox was showing a baseball game in the afternoon and a NASCAR race at night. When the baseball game was delayed by rain it overlapped with the race. Fox cut away from the game with one out remaining to show the race which had already started. Baseball fans were outraged because they missed the end of the game. Race fans were outraged because they missed the start of the race.

truefan72
8th February 2009, 11:09
way back when I used to live in Austria, the best part of watching F1 and Tv for that matter was that advertising was minimized to pre and post events in small 5 minute blocks or non at all.. This might have to do with tje stations being state owned rather than private, but it was a joy too watch.

Later as I moved around and got to see other coverage, I increasingly grew tired of the "meddling" tv ads in broadcast coverage. Sports like soccer and F1 are the least sutiable ofr in game interruptions.

Speed TV is by far the worst in terms of incesnt TV interruptions in F1 coverage. I wan;t even discuss Fox tv or CBS when they carried it becuase that to me wetre more novelties than real broadcasts. Sometimes their ads run for 6-7 minutes with mini infomercials on.

I wonder why Speed cannot figure out to use a Soccer style advertising scheme with in stream ad logos and mentions , or perhaps a bottom area banner style or side by side view( ala gol TV). We live in modern times they can figure it out. I do not need to watch a 5 minute ad for a weed whacker at 7am.

truefan72
8th February 2009, 11:11
There was another situation like that in the U.S. last April. Fox was showing a baseball game in the afternoon and a NASCAR race at night. When the baseball game was delayed by rain it overlapped with the race. Fox cut away from the game with one out remaining to show the race which had already started. Baseball fans were outraged because they missed the end of the game. Race fans were outraged because they missed the start of the race.

The rule of thumb was to stay with the game to the conclusion.

Especially NASCAR, where the show goes on for 4 hours and the start of the race is more processional than anything else. No matter how good the technology is, etc. one can always count on the stupidity of programming directors everywhere.

stevie_gerrard
10th February 2009, 12:59

I went f***king mental when they went to an ad and then returned for us to see the Everton players celebrating a goal. ITV are an embarassment of a TV station and should be put down as soon as possible because they do absolutely nothing of any value. 120 minutes of football and they manage to miss the most important part :angryfire

I can understand your frustration, i felt exactly the same way. Quite frankly, why the BBC decided not to keep their coverage of cup matches and England matches, i have no idea. ITv always seems to mess it up somehow, and it just isn't the same as Motty, Lineker, Hansen and co in pre and post match analysis.

At least we can thank god that the BBC took F1 back......

call_me_andrew
11th February 2009, 07:19
way back when I used to live in Austria, the best part of watching F1 and Tv for that matter was that advertising was minimized to pre and post events in small 5 minute blocks or non at all.. This might have to do with tje stations being state owned rather than private, but it was a joy too watch.

Later as I moved around and got to see other coverage, I increasingly grew tired of the "meddling" tv ads in broadcast coverage. Sports like soccer and F1 are the least sutiable ofr in game interruptions.

Speed TV is by far the worst in terms of incesnt TV interruptions in F1 coverage. I wan;t even discuss Fox tv or CBS when they carried it becuase that to me wetre more novelties than real broadcasts. Sometimes their ads run for 6-7 minutes with mini infomercials on.

I wonder why Speed cannot figure out to use a Soccer style advertising scheme with in stream ad logos and mentions , or perhaps a bottom area banner style or side by side view( ala gol TV). We live in modern times they can figure it out. I do not need to watch a 5 minute ad for a weed whacker at 7am.

I think a lot of it involves the reliance on network affiliates in North American broadcasting. An affiliate requires that they get a certain amount of advertising time for every certain amount of real time. And the same still applies to cable and satellite tv. SPEED still has to reach deals with the cable and satellite companies carrying it about how much advertising time they can sell in a broadcast.