PDA

View Full Version : This I've got to see!

Tazio
4th February 2009, 11:33
Journalist and TV pundit Peter Windsor is to start his own Formula One team, based in the US, it has been reported today. British-born Windsor is to team up with former Ligier technical director Ken Anderson to form a team designed to showcase American technological talent, German website motorsport-total.com reports.

http://www.forumula1.net/2009/f1/f1-news/peter-windsor-to-start-american-f1-dream-team/

"The team plans to use American drivers and personnel wherever possible, operating from a base in Charlotte, North Carolina. Windsor will mastermind the team, which hopes to be on the grid for 2010, using his experience from working with Williams in the 1980s and 1990s. Since then he has been best known for his race reports and editing for F1 Racing magazine, as well as working for various TV channels."

Although I find this man anoying He may be on to something!
I give him two chances the most optomistic one being "slim"

"from a base in Charlotte, North Carolina."

Which happens to be where the Speedtv studios are :dozey:

Bagwan
4th February 2009, 11:44
Hey Peter , there's a team for sale right now .
And , it's worth a buck .

Or , is Fry in the way ?

ShiftingGears
4th February 2009, 11:57
Reported by whom, exactly?

Sounds like bull, tbh.

Knock-on
4th February 2009, 12:41
Is it the 1st of April in some part of the world :confused:

ArrowsFA1
4th February 2009, 12:47
Only 1 new team has joined F1 since 1997 (Toyota). All of the other "newcomers" have been change of ownership of an existing team.

On average, in previous decades, 15 new teams per decade entered F1.

What happened in 1997? The FIA leased the sport's commercial rights to Bernie Ecclestone & his companies.

(*credit to Dieter Rencken (http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/1983) for the stats)

I can't see a brand new team entering F1 for some time to come.

Tazio
4th February 2009, 13:06
Reported by whom, exactly?

Sounds like bull, tbh.http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1233751954/formula_one/F1headlines/US-F1-team-breaks-cover/view.html
The team, whose logo can be previewed at usf1.com, is fronted by F1 stalwart and broadcaster Peter Windsor, and American Ken Anderson, of Indycar and NASCAR fame
but also former Ligier technical director.
Feb.4 (GMM) A new formula one team is under wraps in America and set to be launched officially later this month, it is reported on Wednesday.

Briton Windsor, 56, has worked for Williams and Ferrari, but is best known today as a television pundit and writer.

The German website motorsport-total.com said USF1 intends to make its grand prix debut in 2010, and already has the blessing of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.

The team will have the slogan 'made in america' and be headquartered in the heart of NASCAR-country in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Reportedly, an agreement to use the new Windshear wind tunnel in North Carolina is already in place, while USF1 intends to be a showcase for American technology and US-born drivers

nigelred5
4th February 2009, 13:26
And with the arrival of BE, didn't he demand a $40Million+ fee just to enter F1 and limit the number of teams as well? That was primarily why there were no new teams and no partial season teams as there had always been in the past.

Speed is based in Charlotte for a reason. It may be primarily NASCAR, but Charlotte is home to a huge racing industry in the US. Look at the sheer numbers of people involved in the racing industry in the state of North Cariolina alone. If you are going to have a truly American F1 team, Charlotte's the place to be IMHO. I imagine they will have some sort of satellite operation in Europe, but with the current schedule, most of the season is fly away for the European teams anyway so it's not the advantage it once was. The biggest issue I see is the availability of F1 quality tracks to test on in the US, but testing has been cut back dramatically, and with the new F1 regs, they can't change a whole lot based on testing once the season starts anyway.

Sponsors gravitate to the area simply because of NASCAR, and just about anyone trying to make a living in the industry these days is going to be in the area. Penske's Indycar team has been consolidated in Charlotte for few years now. All of the necessary component manufacturers have operations in the Charlotte area. There is a state of the art wind tunnel in the area that now has a good bit more time available with NASCAR cutbacks, and honestly it would be kinda foolish to base it elsewhere in the US. If you're going to make this work in the US, why fight the Obvious. Where are the dollars in US autoracing? Bank of America HQ is in Charlotte.

Even though the traditional home to American open wheel racing is Indianapolis and there is unquestionably a lot of open wheel experience in Indy, there's not a whole lot of innovation in that area lately and It seems a lot of guys have re-located to North Carolina to stay in the industry.
Personally, I'd base myself in Charlotte over Indy any day on the weather alone.

N. Jones
4th February 2009, 15:01
Hey, if it brings back the races in North America then I am all for it!

gloomyDAY
4th February 2009, 15:20
I hope this pans out in 2010 or 2011.

Scott Speed anyone?

Tazio
4th February 2009, 15:27
And with the arrival of BE, didn't he demand a $40Million+ fee just to enter F1 and limit the number of teams as well? That was primarily why there were no new teams and no partial season teams as there had always been in the past.

Speed is based in Charlotte for a reason. It may be primarily NASCAR, but Charlotte is home to a huge racing industry in the US. Look at the sheer numbers of people involved in the racing industry in the state of North Cariolina alone. If you are going to have a truly American F1 team, Charlotte's the place to be IMHO.
A point well taken! :rolleyes:
I want to thank The FIA, and Maxamillian Mosley,
Who have made a conscious effort to lower cost for the better long-term
success of F1! :) A big shout out to RD and LdM. Apparently there is a method to this madness.
And Fred just for beind himself!! :p :

gloomyDAY
4th February 2009, 15:51
And Fred just for beind himself!! :p :Here, let me get my handkerchief and take care of that brown nose.

shazbot
4th February 2009, 17:02
If it's going to happen in 2010 then the car design better be well underway, with a tunnel program already running. Otherwise, no chance for next year.

Tazio
4th February 2009, 17:37
Here, let me get my handkerchief and take care of that brown nose.
Sorry Bro you left me no choice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIyzNISw1Q

whoops I meant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYbEPZVVIA&feature=related

JasonD
4th February 2009, 18:02
Well they have a logo so now all they need is, sponsors, partners, factory/facilities, personell, drivers, chasis, tyres, engine.

Yup good to go for 2010, competitive by 2020.

jens
4th February 2009, 21:01
What is with the recent obsession with state-based team names? Force India, now USF1?!?!

And what I'm puzzled with is that will customer cars be allowed in that new FIA "radical 2010 plan" that has made this grouping interested in joining F1? If not and they are going to construct their own chassis from scratch, then well... sorry, there is no way in hell I can see them being any competitive in 2010. They are still trying to get a team together, while others have already started constructing their 2010 challengers in high-tech facilites... Or maybe they plan to buy Honda RA109 cars, which should be "almost" ready for racing. :p :

Tazio
4th February 2009, 21:34
What is with the recent obsession with state-based team names? Force India, now USF1?!?!

And what I'm puzzled with is that will customer cars be allowed in that new FIA "radical 2010 plan" that has made this grouping interested in joining F1? If not and they are going to construct their own chassis from scratch, then well... sorry, there is no way in hell I can see them being any competitive in 2010. They are still trying to get a team together, while others have already started constructing their 2010 challengers in high-tech facilites... Or maybe they plan to buy Honda RA109 cars, which should be "almost" ready for racing. :p :I can tell you the motivation of this US team "Made in America" They are reaching out to the typical Redneck NASCRAP constituency! I find it appalling that they have a stated goal to only use "American" drivers. That just happens to be the one commodity that would give them a fighting chance, say if they picked up Mike, Fred, or Lewis. Hell Montoya doesn't fit the criteria. Stupid! Typical Bible-Belt jingoistic transparent foolishness (that sells alot of advertising). That is the part that makes me think this is not a viable proposition
But if it gets us in the door so be it. If they are going exclusively with American pilots, don’t expect them to win anything for about ten freaking years!
What a gullible breed :down: :down: :down: :down:

BDunnell
4th February 2009, 21:58

And what I'm puzzled with is that will customer cars be allowed in that new FIA "radical 2010 plan" that has made this grouping interested in joining F1? If not and they are going to construct their own chassis from scratch, then well... sorry, there is no way in hell I can see them being any competitive in 2010. They are still trying to get a team together, while others have already started constructing their 2010 challengers in high-tech facilites... Or maybe they plan to buy Honda RA109 cars, which should be "almost" ready for racing. :p :

Or maybe they have a fantastic sponsorship deal lined up with Mastercard? ;)

K-Pu
4th February 2009, 23:32
Well... how many F1 teams were going to enter F1 this decade and how many of them had actually made it to the grid?

I see it difficult to happen.

Jag_Warrior
4th February 2009, 23:39

Is it true that his partners are named Slim and None?

There are reports that Slim was seen taking the last bus out of town right after this story broke.

I like Windsor as a pitlane reporter on Speed. But I don't see how he'd be able to secure the financing and infrastructure to make this happen by 2010 or even 2011.

Valve Bounce
5th February 2009, 00:29
Journalist and TV pundit Peter Windsor is to start his own Formula One team, based in the US, it has been reported today. British-born Windsor is to team up with former Ligier technical director Ken Anderson to form a team designed to showcase American technological talent, German website motorsport-total.com reports.

http://www.forumula1.net/2009/f1/f1-news/peter-windsor-to-start-american-f1-dream-team/

"The team plans to use American drivers and personnel wherever possible, operating from a base in Charlotte, North Carolina. Windsor will mastermind the team, which hopes to be on the grid for 2010, using his experience from working with Williams in the 1980s and 1990s. Since then he has been best known for his race reports and editing for F1 Racing magazine, as well as working for various TV channels."

Although I find this man anoying He may be on to something!

"from a base in Charlotte, North Carolina."

Which happens to be where the Speedtv studios are :dozey:

And they will use de-stroked Corvette engines. :D

Placid
5th February 2009, 00:59
With the success of the Bobsleders after the Women Struck Gold at Salt Lake and other world championship medals, I like to see Geoff Bodine to be part of the US F1 project. And get Bobby Rahal on board as well. If they can Rahal, hopefully they can supply them with BMW engines.

And for an All-American engine - get either Pontiac, Cadillac, of Ford.

Do not bother with Scott or AJA. There is plenty of US talent.

cy bais
5th February 2009, 01:52
Borat would call the team US-and-A F1 :)

Tazio
5th February 2009, 02:05
And they will use de-stroked Corvette engines. :D I understand they offered a seat to Schumacher!

:crazy: Tony :rolleyes: :laugh: :p :

ioan
5th February 2009, 09:05
Or maybe they have a fantastic sponsorship deal lined up with Mastercard? ;) :D

nigelred5
5th February 2009, 13:52
Or maybe they have a fantastic sponsorship deal lined up with Mastercard? ;)

Bank of America = VISA ;)

nigelred5
5th February 2009, 13:55
Well... how many F1 teams were going to enter F1 this decade and how many of them had actually made it to the grid?

I see it difficult to happen.

Starting off $40m+ in the hole before you hire a janitor just for permission to play in Bernie's yard isn't real inviting. The little Troll ought to start there.

nigelred5
5th February 2009, 13:57
And they will use de-stroked Corvette engines. :D

How about already designed Cosworths that are part of a previous engine proposal with Ford badges? Cosworth is American owned.

5th February 2009, 16:43
It might not happen....probably won't happen...but at least somebody is looking to enter F1. Which is what we all want, isn't it?

Seems like Max's cost-cutting measures are attractive.

Tazio
5th February 2009, 17:58
Seems like Max's cost-cutting measures are attractive.
Brought to you by a card carrying, charter member of "The Sensible Seven" :)
Thank you Tamb' :up:

ShiftingGears
6th February 2009, 06:12
http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1233751954/formula_one/F1headlines/US-F1-team-breaks-cover/view.html
The team, whose logo can be previewed at usf1.com, is fronted by F1 stalwart and broadcaster Peter Windsor, and American Ken Anderson, of Indycar and NASCAR fame
but also former Ligier technical director.
Feb.4 (GMM) A new formula one team is under wraps in America and set to be launched officially later this month, it is reported on Wednesday.

Briton Windsor, 56, has worked for Williams and Ferrari, but is best known today as a television pundit and writer.

The German website motorsport-total.com said USF1 intends to make its grand prix debut in 2010, and already has the blessing of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.

The team will have the slogan 'made in america' and be headquartered in the heart of NASCAR-country in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Reportedly, an agreement to use the new Windshear wind tunnel in North Carolina is already in place, while USF1 intends to be a showcase for American technology and US-born drivers

Interesting! Having read that, I'll be amazed if they end up on the F1 grid.

Dave B
6th February 2009, 08:36
This whole project sounds suspiciously like an exercise in stroking Peter Windsor's already quite large ego. I'll be amazed if it comes to anything.

harsha
6th February 2009, 10:44
is the name of the team gonna be windbag

wedge
6th February 2009, 11:49
This whole project sounds suspiciously like an exercise in stroking Peter Windsor's already quite large ego. I'll be amazed if it comes to anything.

I can't help feeling the same.

Tazio
6th February 2009, 14:33
I can't help feeling the same.
I tend to agree! I hope were wrong. I don't care for Windsor though!

Knock-on
6th February 2009, 15:10
I tend to agree! I hope were wrong. I don't care for Windsor though!

I just want to see the Flav Vs Windsor ego clash :laugh:

Tazio
6th February 2009, 15:53
I just want to see the Flav Vs Windsor ego clash :laugh:
Notwithstanding the facts that I am an Italian-American, and a bit of a Francophile
Flav being the principal of a well established team. And Windsor although well known in the industry,
will have no choice but to choose his words wisely until they are somewhat competitive!
Then we will have to deal with P(ee) W(ee)'s ADHD :dozey: :laugh:

markabilly
7th February 2009, 17:18
It is very serious, peter just sent me a contract, and number two will be scottie not speedie, and Rosie Obrawn is gonna be my chief mechanic.

Sould I tell him that it was really only for 50 million per year, and they got an extra zero on the contract that peter signed or should I be a good boy, not rock the boat and just sign it and return it back???

The name of the new team will be "Speed Fing One"

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2009, 08:54
Boy oh boy...there has to be good drugs out there and I think Peter Windsor found them.

I find him mildly entertaining and somewhat useful on the Speed broadcasts but I would have never in a million years envision this guy getting an f1 effort off the ground. To do it from Charlotte is interesting, but the best fabricators for handling stuff like Carbon fiber would be in Indy where most of the rest of the racing industry in the US is. Mind you, the rolling wind tunnels are in NC and ....well this is all just a bit hard to believe this will come off in the next two years.

Windsor has a wee bit of a problem. He doesn't have the money and with the credit crunch on, I can imagine starting an f1 team is a long shot even if he had some of the other parts and pieces ready to go.

If this EVER comes off the ground, then I hope like hell they do use a North American driver if not a US driver aka one of my fellow Canucks. The whole thing is I would LOVE to see an American effort go to Europe and succeed. The whole F1 scene treats North American racing culture as something they scraped off their shoes. It would be nice to see someone kick their @sses at some point....

truefan72
8th February 2009, 10:57
I can tell you the motivation of this US team "Made in America" They are reaching out to the typical Redneck NASCRAP constituency! I find it appalling that they have a stated goal to only use "American" drivers. That just happens to be the one commodity that would give them a fighting chance, say if they picked up Mike, Fred, or Lewis. Hell Montoya doesn't fit the criteria. Stupid! Typical Bible-Belt jingoistic transparent foolishness (that sells alot of advertising). That is the part that makes me think this is not a viable proposition
But if it gets us in the door so be it. If they are going exclusively with American pilots, don’t expect them to win anything for about ten freaking years!
What a gullible breed :down: :down: :down: :down:

any team that comes into F1 with a nationalistic frame of mind is doomed to fail.

You can have a us owned team, but the folks will support it if it is winning rather than to see 2 us based drivers toiling around in the back. Spyker learned that lesson, Force India didn't bother to go there, Red bull/STR don't have an austrian driver (even though they unfairly dismissed klien, perhaps in an overzealous attempt to not look nationalistic) Ferrari have not had italian drivers for years (even though they could have stuck one as 2nd fiddle to MS for years) ditto with Williams, Toyota and Honda.

The first priority for a team is to secure the best possible driver they can get, unless desperate for sponsorship, and even then, not just simply anyone.

so to me this position by USF1 is already proving that they are starting off with the wrong attitude and are ensuring their mediocrity before their launch.

jens
8th February 2009, 11:57
any team that comes into F1 with a nationalistic frame of mind is doomed to fail.

This immediately reminds me Prost's attempts in F1 with French engine, at least one French driver, French sponsors, lubricants, colours and whatever. For 2001 they lost French engine, but at least got French tyres as an exchange. :p :

Tazio
8th February 2009, 12:14

You can have a us owned team, but the folks will support it if it is winning rather than to see 2 us based drivers toiling around in the back. Spyker learned that lesson, Force India didn't bother to go there, Red bull/STR don't have an austrian driver (even though they unfairly dismissed klien, perhaps in an overzealous attempt to not look nationalistic) Ferrari have not had italian drivers for years (even though they could have stuck one as 2nd fiddle to MS for years) ditto with Williams, Toyota and Honda.

The first priority for a team is to secure the best possible driver they can get, unless desperate for sponsorship, and even then, not just simply anyone.

so to me this position by USF1 is already proving that they are starting off with the wrong attitude and are ensuring their mediocrity before their launch.You and I actually agree on somethig! Amazing :p :

Hondo
8th February 2009, 14:30
You forget how, prior to the split, Tony George and A.J. Foyt blathered on about how the IRL would be an American Series for American drivers....yeah, yeah, yeah.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Tazio
8th February 2009, 17:18
You forget how, prior to the split, Tony George and A.J. Foyt blathered on about how the IRL would be an American Series for American drivers....yeah, yeah, yeah.

I wouldn't worry about it.I'm not worried, it’s just the hypocrisy of the statement. We just got through "going it alone" for eight years :dozey:

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2009, 18:05
Nationalistic f1 teams are a Utopian thing. Nice in theory, but rarely work to any degree.

I still think this story would have been better served by being put in the paper April 1st.

Garry Walker
9th February 2009, 10:44
Peter "second phase turn-in" windsor involved in something?

It is doomed already.

wedge
9th February 2009, 12:11
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73187

Errrr...

they do realise F1 cars are made out of carbon fibre, not sheet metal and steel tubes :D

DanicaFan
9th February 2009, 12:25
The cost factor of running a full F1 season is very expensive. It's will cost a lot of money to ship all that equipment overseas to every Grand Prix event. It would have be a well-funded team. It would be interesting to see if it plays out or not.

Knock-on
9th February 2009, 13:33
The cost factor of running a full F1 season is very expensive. It's will cost a lot of money to ship all that equipment overseas to every Grand Prix event. It would have be a well-funded team. It would be interesting to see if it plays out or not.

Well, it could be argued that F1 is a global sport but it is true that logistic resourses have traditionally been shared.

I think it fair to say that a bigger problem might be having the team so far removed from the F1 knowledge base. No slight intended to the NA engineers but there is a reason most teams are concentrated around the UK.

However, saying that, new inspiration and techniques may well prove fruitfull especially in light of the move to homogonate regulations.

Placid
11th February 2009, 02:25
I wonder if All-American Racers will return to supply their chassis and bring back that luster when the Eagle of the mid-90s screamed into the tracks.

I loved their paint scheme.

http://www.cncmagazine.com/archive01/v3i10/images/v3i10z.jpg

http://www.sandcastlevi.com/images/racing/eagsin99.jpg

Garry Walker
11th February 2009, 09:27

It is likely they would simply rent some place in europe for the duration of the european season, it would logistically be impossible to ship the cars and equipment overseas and back so often.

truefan72
12th February 2009, 01:30
I'm not worried, it’s just the hypocrisy of the statement. We just got through "going it alone" for eight years :dozey:

LOL

Yes I agree. i feel I've just woken up from a nightmare, bu still have all the scars. Let's do away with hpyernationalism once and for all please. it has no place in sport as it does with everyday life. Americans don't need some ploy to watch F1.They just need the proper marketing and a sense of the grandeur of the entire world.

I hope that they would soon see that watching a race from Singapore, Monza, Australia, and Spa, each with its own charm and foreign flavors, is imminently more interesting that watching an oval, or a race on a makeshift track at Portland Airport.

Tazio
12th February 2009, 02:08
Truer words were never spoken!

The fact that it wasn't an American spectacle is what first drew me to F1
Our domestic sports as diverse as they are, get tiresome.
Especially(IMO) the way they are crammed down your throat! :eek:
I really don't care if America ever comes around to F1.
Hell back in his day George Steinbrener, made Bernie look like a choir boy.
He didn't own the Big Leagues. He just acted like he did,
and got every player he wanted!
Maybe he was more like a "S.M.Ferrari F1" :)

call_me_andrew
12th February 2009, 06:03
How about already designed Cosworths that are part of a previous engine proposal with Ford badges? Cosworth is American owned.

I don't see that working since Ford sold Cosworth when they sold Jaguar F1.

nigelred5
13th February 2009, 18:17
I don't see that working since Ford sold Cosworth when they sold Jaguar F1.

They can badge it anything they get a check to badge it obviously. Cosworth builds The Mazdas in Atlantics. Cosworth is still American owned, albeit not by Ford. Cosworth does however have a cost controlled F1 engine package on the table for the current and future engine regulations. People also seem to have the attitude and misconception that the only place on earth anyone kows how to mold carbon fibre is in England.

There are actually several facilities and a labor force very capable of and have been been producing carbon fibre race vehicles in the Charlotte-Atlanta area. Just because the team is based in Charlotte wouldn't mean everything is manufactured there. Hitco brakes that almost all of the F1 teams use at least part of the season are from California. The F1 Spec. ECU is designed by Microsoft though we know how much McLAren was involved with that. Elan/Panoz/VanDemien cars are in Atlanta. Riley has built carbon fibre cars for ALMS, Grand Am is in Moresville. Crawford DP chassis, Denver NC. The rolling road windtunnel in NC is one of the most advanced in the world, and has plenty of time now that NASCAR drastically cut back on testing. My point is, there are far and away enough people and companies to involve in the US and within 3 hours of Charlotte that can manufacture anything an F1 team needs.

There are already reports they are exploring a european facility in Spain to base a European operation. No matter where any of the teams are based, when they test, it's primarily in Spain or Portugal, so that makes sense.

Who gave Ford hell when they declared sportscar war on Ferrari in the 60's? I juess I'm no where near as doubting that it CAN be done with the changes in the regs. They may not even have to design their own chassis by then. Hell, half the teams that ARE based in europe aren't worth a damn year in and year out.

truefan72
13th February 2009, 22:52
yeah, but are cosworths competitive?

I would buy up the Honda team and tryi and work with them on a better engine. Base don the 2009 specs, you really can't stray that much with the aero anymore, so the real competition lies in a decent engine. Honda have a solid history in producing excellent engines. perhaps it is time for them to focus on what they do best. for competition sake they can badge as an Acura.

Better yet, they can hire all the Super Aguri miracle workers and move forward from there. Hell if I had 200m to blow I would buy me an F1 team. and market the hell out of it 21st century style.

call_me_andrew
14th February 2009, 03:39
Cosworth is still American owned, albeit not by Ford. Cosworth does however have a cost controlled F1 engine package on the table for the current and future engine regulations.

Last time I checked, Kevin Kalkhoven owns Cosworth, and he is an Australian, not an American.

I don't know why anyone would want that cost controlled engine from however many years ago it was. Everyone else has had their hands tied from engine development for the last couple of years. It would be advantageous to build from scratch.

nigelred5
14th February 2009, 04:43
Last time I checked, Kevin Kalkhoven owns Cosworth, and he is an Australian, not an American.

I don't know why anyone would want that cost controlled engine from however many years ago it was. Everyone else has had their hands tied from engine development for the last couple of years. It would be advantageous to build from scratch.

He's wasn't the the sole owner of Cosworth and his company and holdings are incorporated in the US, not Australia last time I checked but things do change. Call it what you will, the majority of what's left of the original Cosworth has been an American owned company for a long time. As far as I know VW still owns the engineering company that was split off but that has nothing to do with the race engine company.

As far as competetiveness, If it was from a few years ago, it would probably be capable of MORE power than the current engines and have to be de-tuned to the lower rpm specs now in place.

gloomyDAY
16th February 2009, 15:36
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73312

If USF1 is serious maybe they should take a look at this:

Danica fail... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njvm1K64ZsE)

nigelred5
17th February 2009, 01:25
They need sponsors to function. Who's the biggest name in open wheel racing in the US these days? Who's the ONLY name in Open wheel racing in the US these days for that matter? Nearly every team has a driver and someone that brings the $$ towards the second car. Not that her on-track results would say she even remotely deserves or can actually handle an F1 ride, but neither do more than half of the current drivers on the F1 grid. It's a money thing. Would anyone, DP included honestly even think otherwise? She can barely handle an Indycar on a road course, and they quietly even developed assisted steering for her. How's she going to handle the physical demands of a modern f1 car???

call_me_andrew
17th February 2009, 04:36
They need sponsors to function. Who's the biggest name in open wheel racing in the US these days? Who's the ONLY name in Open wheel racing in the US these days for that matter? Nearly every team has a driver and someone that brings the $$ towards the second car. Not that her on-track results would say she even remotely deserves or can actually handle an F1 ride, but neither do more than half of the current drivers on the F1 grid. It's a money thing. Would anyone, DP included honestly even think otherwise? She can barely handle an Indycar on a road course, and they quietly even developed assisted steering for her. How's she going to handle the physical demands of a modern f1 car???

Variable ratio steering ≠ Power steering

A variable ratio steering rack changes the steering gear ratio at different rates of turn. So if you want a 15: 1 ratio with less than 20° on the steering wheel and a 10:1 ratio with more than 20°, you can have it. So if you want to have Danica was one of several drivers the IRL wanted for testing this. F1 has been using this for years.

Power steering is using the engine's power to suppliment the driver's own strength. Formula One has power steering. IndyCar doesn't.