PDA

View Full Version : Milka to NHL!

Birdman5700
3rd February 2009, 23:30
Robin Miller just broke this gem.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/indy-car/

Why couldn't she take her money to KV? At least they are already letting Moraes buy a seat. NHL was always known for having the top drivers. Well now they have one of the top backmarkers and if they do get Doornbos do they really need a 3rd car?

mlittle
4th February 2009, 02:54
Either this is, (a)a Robin Miller "April Fool's Day" Indycar story, or (b)the world is coming to an end. Seriously, NHLR..............Milka? You're going to hire WHO? :eek: :eek:

I can't remember who it was over on the SpeedTV boards who said it, but someone was quoted as saying they felt ill at the news of this......I suspect there's a lot of open-wheel fans who will feel ill at the idea of Milka Duno in an NHLR car in 2009. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Here's the link to the story............
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-milka-duno-and-robert-doornbos-to-newman-hass-lanigan/

ChicagocrewIRL
4th February 2009, 03:13
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. This HAS TO BE A JOKE.

Shame on me for falling for Robin Miller's "reports."

Remember he also reported that Helio was OUT at Penske in favor of Will Power but as it turned out, Power was only tabbed to sub for Helio when circumstances prevented him from driving.

However, in the case that this is true, all my faith that any integrity is left in the running of IndyCar teams, that faith is GONE.

I have been pretty much just an observer of these boards during the off season but this news is earth shaking and chills the very foundations of the sport.

God Help Us All and God Deliver us from Milka and Hugo.

Amen

DBell
4th February 2009, 03:29
I'm going to pretend I didn't see this.

nigelred5
4th February 2009, 03:57
If true, this just proves how pathetic Indycar has become, and how important PN was to Newman Haas' sponsorhips if they have to essentially pursue two ride buyers, one a horrible backmarker and Hugo Chavez's money just to put the team on the track.

I agree, I'm suddenly feeling a little ill.

Chamoo
4th February 2009, 05:07
She'll be more competitive in an NHL car then a D&R. She'll still be a backmarker, but atleast she might stay on the lead lap.

Shameless plug, I just threw up a blog posting on my AOWR blog about this possible NHL hiring. The link is in my signature if anyone is interested.

gofastandwynn
4th February 2009, 05:08
If true, this just proves how pathetic Indycar has become, and how important PN was to Newman Haas' sponsorhips if they have to essentially pursue two ride buyers, one a horrible backmarker and Hugo Chavez's money just to put the team on the track.

I agree, I'm suddenly feeling a little ill.

But they shouldn't need to bring her on for the money.

Supposedly the had funding for Graham and Bobby D. is bringing 4 million of ING money. One would think they wouldn't need the Milka's cash

DanicaFan
4th February 2009, 05:15
NHL will be less competitive now. I dont see many if any podiums for them this year. Thier only hope is Graham Rahal. Doornbos will do ok but he is a rookie to the series and we all know Duno ***** so she has no hope.

Just proves money can buy anything, it just cant make you a driver.http://www.ptalkforum.com/images/smilies/icon_rofl.gif

Chamoo
4th February 2009, 05:19
NHL will be less competitive now. I dont see many if any podiums for them this year. Thier only hope is Graham Rahal. Doornbos will do ok but he is a rookie to the series and we all know Duno ***** so she has no hope.

Just proves money can buy anything, it just cant make you a driver.http://www.ptalkforum.com/images/smilies/icon_rofl.gif

Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal were both considered rookies last year when they won their races.

Doornbos and Rahal will both be very competitive, they'll just have Duno riding along behind them a few laps.

DanicaFan
4th February 2009, 05:25
I like Doornbos but Duno is a joke!

garyshell
4th February 2009, 06:18
I like Doornbos but Duno is a joke!

With Danica as the punch line.

Gary

call_me_andrew
4th February 2009, 06:28
Either this is, (a)a Robin Miller "April Fool's Day" Indycar story, or (b)the world is coming to an end.

I vote B and say it's time to get right with the Lord.

Mad_Hatter
4th February 2009, 07:28
There is one looming positive to this and the possibility(I hope) for one more. This keeps one or two crews worth of people their jobs and Justin Wilson might be on for the road courses like D&R did last year.

That said it is still a terrible terrible joke.

millencolin
4th February 2009, 08:00
hahahahahahaha thats just brilliant!

Dr. Krogshöj
4th February 2009, 08:49
One can get a lot of enjoyment out of the fact that Venezela is one of the biggest sponsors of IndyCar, maybe after Philip Morris, Target and Honda. I wonder how much PDVSA pays for EJ Viso's ride. Things like that, and Citgo's heating oil programme for poor Americans make you go hmmm...

BobGarage
4th February 2009, 09:40
NHL was always known for having the top drivers.

and now they have the top female driver in the league ;)

DanicaFan
4th February 2009, 11:59
Milka is the top female in the league by asking " How do I finish on a lead lap? and "Which one is the gas? "

Horrible. NHL is going to do nothing but waste money, equipment, and time on a proven backmarker and danger to the IRL.

jwhite9185
4th February 2009, 12:07
this has to be a joke!

ShiftingGears
4th February 2009, 12:42
This is a joke, right?

nigelred5
4th February 2009, 12:53
Sadly, I have to say there are likely $5million reasons that it probably isn't. That's a lot of coin to be turning down in this climate. Unfortunately I see little other contribution to the team.

anthonyvop
4th February 2009, 13:00
Another domino.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/119406-indy-car-series-the-irl-dominos-keep-on-tumbling

Chamoo
4th February 2009, 15:14
Anyone willing to eat crow if she gets a podium? I'd step up but I'm allergic.

SarahFan
4th February 2009, 16:03
racing certainly produces strange bedfellows.....this is certainly a case of being stranger than usual...

Dr. Krogshöj
4th February 2009, 16:15
Why the meltdown? I just don't get it. Milka is slow, but not dangerously slow. At least I don't remember her being parked the way Marty Roth had been a couple of times And her money contributes to the rides of a popular proven winner (Bobby D) and young talented American (Graham). I would understand the outrage if she took someone else's seat but that's not the case.

JasonD
4th February 2009, 16:17
She will have absolutely NO excuse to suck now, she'll have some of the best people working with her. She'll either step up, or exit stage right.

Alexamateo
4th February 2009, 16:20
My $.02:

This is now a 3 car team acording to what I have read. I am sure that they have agreed to prepare a car for her out of their shops and hopefully negotiated some associate deals for the other 2 cars to raise their funding. Also, as some others have speculated, it might be an opportunity to keep Justin Wilson part time on certain road courses and maybe a fourth car for Indy like Townsend Bell did last year with DRR.

SInce I didn't really see NHL expanding to three cars in this economic climate, it's not like she has taken someones seat, they have just added one for her.

SarahFan
4th February 2009, 16:29
Why the meltdown? I just don't get it. Milka is slow, but not dangerously slow. At least I don't remember her being parked the way Marty Roth had been a couple of times And her money contributes to the rides of a popular proven winner (Bobby D) and young talented American (Graham). I would understand the outrage if she took someone else's seat but that's not the case.

I'm more shocked than outraged....

but hey... its another car on the grid... and if we get another doubleD* meltdown all the better

*danica/Duno

ykiki
4th February 2009, 16:51
Due to alternate fuel strategies last year, Danica won a race by leading only one lap all year. Meanwhile, Duno ended up leading several laps at Chicago.

Granted, everyone else was in the pits...

That being said, nothing surprised me anymore.

Chris R
4th February 2009, 16:51
Racing has always been about "ride buyers" - there is a group of professionals who work for a salary - but the bulk have always funded their own rides - either through personal money or business deals. This is not the end of the world.

I, for one, am very curious to see if Milka can take the fight to Danica in more or less "equal" cars.... I think we may be surprised at the result of her driving for a truly top notch team (not saying she is a great driver or anything - just that she might actually surprise us....

mike15
4th February 2009, 17:01
The day NHL can not secure the best drivers is more signs that AOWR is dieing a slow death.

shazbot
4th February 2009, 17:06
I was hoping it was a typo - Mika not Milka......

garyshell
4th February 2009, 17:13
Things like that, and Citgo's heating oil programme for poor Americans make you go hmmm...

I think uncle Hugo terminated that program.

Gary

garyshell
4th February 2009, 17:24
Another domino.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/119406-indy-car-series-the-irl-dominos-keep-on-tumbling

Do you even understand the meaning of the "domino effect"???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino_effect

The domino effect is a chain reaction that occurs when a small change causes a similar change nearby, which then will cause another similar change, and so on in a linear sequence.

Please note the underlined word in the above definition and then explain the linear causal relationship of these events that you are calling a domino effect.

I don't see any of them as good news (the Milka announcement is merely neutral), but I sure as hell don't see how one caused another.

Gary

coogmaster
4th February 2009, 18:26
I just threw up all over my keyboard.

Wow. A top team cannot get a halfway decent driver and has to settle for one of the least wanted/talentless drivers who carries around a fat check from the King of Venezuela. With all due respect I think that Paul Newman rolled over in his grave today.

Just goes to show that any average Joe can plop his butt in an IndyCar and say, "Look at me, I'm a big, brave, race driver" if he has the checkbook to do it. It's sad that racing has come to this.

WHAT was NHL thinking? Why not just run 2 cars? Are they planning on using some of her money to fund the other 2 teams? Is this whole thing basically a shenanigan for Rahal and Doornbos?

My analogy for this: In 1994, when Mansell left NH and went to F1 and Mario retired, NH decides to hire Hiro Matsua because he has a ton of money from Pantasonic. Sorry, PT, we know you can win us races, but this guy is rich and we can't turn him down. Good luck and happy ride hunting!

I'm tired of our series being the laughing stock of the motorsports community... and this certainly isn't helping... and I need to clean all of this up...

Nikki Katz
4th February 2009, 18:30
Is this serious?

Personally I think that Rahal's a bit overrated and there are a number of drivers that should really be getting a seat before him (Wilson?), but Duno????

On the plus side, if that does mean that Doornbos would get a full time seat then that would be good, so as long as nobody runs into Duno too frequently then maybe it's for the best.

Still, I'll believe it when it's official.

downtowndeco
4th February 2009, 18:38
What series now or ever has not been like this? Drivers show up with money and get a ride. That goes for F1 as well as the local short track. There has never been a "magical" time when only deserving, most talented drivers had rides. There are always a handful of ride buyers. No way around that.

I'm tired of our series being the laughing stock of the motorsports community... and this certainly isn't helping... and I need to clean all of this up...

Jag_Warrior
4th February 2009, 18:54
I was hoping it was a typo - Mika not Milka......

That's exactly what my eyes saw when I first clicked in: "Mika."

I thought, "Wow, the IRL has a World Driving Champion! A former McLaren man! Maybe the worm has turned afterall! This is big!"

Didn't take long to clear that up. :D

Personally, I'm happy for her. Unlike a certain other female IRL driver (of questionable talent), Milka is not at all pretentious. She knows she's not going to set the world on fire. Her only desire is to improve. And NHL should help her do that before she leaves to pursue something else.

garyshell
4th February 2009, 19:40
That's exactly what my eyes saw when I first clicked in: "Mika."

I thought, "Wow, the IRL has a World Driving Champion! A former McLaren man! Maybe the worm has turned afterall! This is big!"

Didn't take long to clear that up. :D

Personally, I'm happy for her. Unlike a certain other female IRL driver (of questionable talent), Milka is not at all pretentious. She knows she's not going to set the world on fire. Her only desire is to improve. And NHL should help her do that before she leaves to pursue something else.

I thought it said Mika to, but I assumes "Salo".

I do agree with your assessment of this "announcement".

Gary

Easy Drifter
4th February 2009, 19:42
As some of you know I have a rather demented sense of humour (even if Eki doesn't think I have one at all).
Now I can't help but wonder when 'Stompin Danica' comes thundering down to the NHLR pits to scream at Milka just where Carl Haas might place his infamous cigar. :eek:

anthonyvop
4th February 2009, 20:23
Do you even understand the meaning of the "domino effect"???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino_effect

Please note the underlined word in the above definition and then explain the linear causal relationship of these events that you are calling a domino effect.

I don't see any of them as good news (the Milka announcement is merely neutral), but I sure as hell don't see how one caused another.

Gary
Are they unrelated?
Has the Versus TV contract not affected the search for sponsors?
The cost of running an IRL team has stayed the same(Or gone up). The Cost for a company to sponsor a team has remained the same.
The cost for a manufacturer to develop a race engine has gone up.
The exposure of the IRL will go down in 2009!

So explain to me how they are unrelated.

garyshell
4th February 2009, 20:48
Are they unrelated?
Has the Versus TV contract not affected the search for sponsors?
The cost of running an IRL team has stayed the same(Or gone up). The Cost for a company to sponsor a team has remained the same.
The cost for a manufacturer to develop a race engine has gone up.
The exposure of the IRL will go down in 2009!

I still see no explanation of a chain reaction required for the original items to be considered a "domino effect".

Gary

Jag_Warrior
4th February 2009, 20:54
As some of you know I have a rather demented sense of humour (even if Eki doesn't think I have one at all).
Now I can't help but wonder when 'Stompin Danica' comes thundering down to the NHLR pits to scream at Milka just where Carl Haas might place his infamous cigar. :eek:

If Danica later beomes BFF with Monica Lewinsky, I think we'll have our answer. :devil:

Easy Drifter
4th February 2009, 21:06
Tony Tony, instead of being on the dark side :vader: all the time why don't you at least make some positive suggestions?
Who knows, someone in the TG camp might read them and at least consider them.
I am no TG fan but IRL is what we have, so we have to live with it and hope and try to make it better.
Always running it down is counter productive.
So CART/CC lost but that is the way it goes.
Negativity does not work and is useless.

garyshell
4th February 2009, 21:08
Tony Tony, instead of being on the dark side :vader: all the time why don't you at least make some positive suggestions?
I am no TG fan but IRL is what we have, so we have to live with it and hope and try to make it better.

Me thinks thou art beating thy head against the proverbial brick wall.

Gary

Easy Drifter
4th February 2009, 21:12
I can always hope and dream. :D

Lemmy-Boy
4th February 2009, 21:25
Oh, how the might have fallen!!!! Those hearty days of sponsorship from the 90's and early 2000's is a distant memory for NHL.

Apart from that dreaded split between CART/IRL, the influx of foreign drivers and their sponsorship dollars has brought more problems than their worth for AOWR.

It was television pioneer Roon Arledge (ABC SPORTS) who once said in regard to “Monday Night Football,” “ F*CK the (HARDCORE) fan, they’ll watch anyway. Let’s go after the casual viewer.” And look where the NFL is today - a very profitable sporting phenomenon.

It's too bad the IRL will never learn this lesson and will continue to walk the path with foreign pay drivers.

Mainstream Viewers (The people who really pay the bills. And not the hardcore fans or gearheads who post in these forums) want to cheer and support drivers they can relate with.

Why do you think NASCAR is so successful? NASCAR has mainly WHITE AMERICAN DRIVERS who represent a big proportion of their MAINSTREAM and viewership audience in AMERICA (White Middle Class Demographic). Indycar and Cart are miserable failures because they've failed to attract this important DEMOGRAPHIC. Whether we like it or not, most mainstream fans would love to have Carl Edwards marry their daughters or even drink a beer with Tony Stewart. This is an image NASCAR has projected so well with their fans.

Sure, the IRL.CART split was a big contribution. But even before the split, CART was opening spots for foreign pay drivers. As a result, their ratings were already falling even before the IRL became a reality. The statistics don't lie.

BTW, you can call me a racist (I could give a rats ass). In the end, the only color that counts in business is GREEN dollars. It's all about smart business, knowing your main viewership DEMOGRAPHIC and, ultimately, making the racing series profitable for the teams and promotions. Too bad the IRL and AOWR has been more about short term planning than long term goals.

MDS
4th February 2009, 21:27
I wish you guys would stop whining about this. NHL had to make a tough decsion in a down economy in a damaged sport.

You can argue all day about how Milka Duno in third car at NHL, and she probably doesn't deserve it. Maybe Paul Newman wouldn't have gone for it, but check the weather outside guys, its rough out there, and I'm just glad it means more money going to a good team.

Milka only has a couple of years left racing. She's going to turn 37 before Indy, and at most has three, maybe four years of prime driving time, probably less. The best case, long range scenario is that NHL can build a relationship with her sponsor so when she steps down, maybe as soon as next season, NHL could get a better, younger Venezulan driver like Johnny Cecotto Jr, who just turned 19 a couple of months ago.

Sometimes you have too look at these things long term, rather than short term. Does it suck that Milka Duno bought a ride some think she doesn't deserve? Yeah. Could there be a longer term plan in place at NHL? Yes. Will this allow them to hire 10 to 20 out of work wrench turners? Yes.

Personally I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

DanicaFan
4th February 2009, 22:53
Sorry MDS, with Milka at NHL, there are no positives. The team will only waste money, resources, equipment, and time on such a horrible driver.

MDS
4th February 2009, 23:32
Sorry MDS, with Milka at NHL, there are no positives. The team will only waste money, resources, equipment, and time on such a horrible driver.

There are a number of people out there who feel the same way about another female driver who supposedly got her ride by take her clothes off for cameras.

SarahFan
4th February 2009, 23:46
had the mario moreas $$$$ covered all team infrastructure and allowed kv racing to run PT with just partial sponsorship we would all be jump for joy

Some might even calling it genius!!!!

Jag_Warrior
4th February 2009, 23:58

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/swiftian/irony/irony6.jpg

Easy Drifter
5th February 2009, 00:35
I am no fan of Milka but she probably will be no worse than 'Stompin' Danica' was in Aust.

anthonyvop
5th February 2009, 00:46
You have Robin Miller for that.

Jag_Warrior
5th February 2009, 01:10
I am no fan of Milka but she probably will be no worse than 'Stompin' Danica' was in Aust.

Let's be honest, if Milka ever gets upset enough to throw a Danica style hissy fit, and stomps while she's walking (:eek :) ... the IRL will be able to put that on pay-per-view (rated Mature) and double the prize fund. Hell, I'll even sign up for that. :s mokin:

MDS
5th February 2009, 01:23
I love how everyone is ignoring Robert Doornbos. He's probably the best new driver to come into the series, he's supposedly bringing a major sponsor, and I expect him to win a couple of races this year.

Cart750hp
5th February 2009, 03:48
Recession is a very bad news.......now this would be a nightmare.

NHL? Robin Miller better be freaking wrong about this. This has got to be a typo.

philipbain
5th February 2009, 13:10
Remember he also reported that Helio was OUT at Penske in favor of Will Power but as it turned out, Power was only tabbed to sub for Helio when circumstances prevented him from driving.

If you look at the facts in the Helio vs. the IRS case it is quite possible that Helio may have "circumstances preventing him from driving" for quite some time, after all, Wesley Snipes got 3 years in a similar case, though I think the length of any sentence, should one be handed down, may depend on the proof of just how implicated Helio was in this whole mess.

As for Milka to NHL, its sad to see a great team (I refuse to call them formerly great - they won 2 races last season in thier first year in a very competitive series) reduced to hiring drivers based on how many sponsorship $ they can bring rather than on out and out ability behind the wheel. As has been pointed out earlier in the thread, it appears that Paul Newman was the key to the team's backing, the sponsorships and endorsments were based on his involvment, which makes perfect sense, Paul Newman was widely acknowledged as a great personality and philanthropist (with the salad dressing and such like), an association with him would reflect well upon the sponsor.

Now we have a situation where Justin Wilson, one of the acknowledged best drivers in the field, who dedicated his first IRL win to Paul Newman, who weeks later died, is being left out in the cold, whilst NHL court drivers with more cash than talent, its just plain upsetting to see but desperate times call for desperate measures.

anthonyvop
5th February 2009, 15:47
I still see no explanation of a chain reaction required for the original items to be considered a "domino effect".

Gary
I know for a fact that 1 sponsor left because of the Versus deal and 2 potential sponsors as well.
There is also another potential sponsor I know of that is taking a harder look because of all the negative issues developing in the IRL.

downtowndeco
5th February 2009, 16:16
Link please, not just your undercover CW innuendo.

I know for a fact that 1 sponsor left because of the Versus deal and 2 potential sponsors as well.
There is also another potential sponsor I know of that is taking a harder look because of all the negative issues developing in the IRL.

Shifter
5th February 2009, 16:35
I'll be firing up a 2009 Milka Duno screwup counter for you all in my siggy.

Good luck to Doornbos anyway.

jimispeed
5th February 2009, 17:05
Milka to NHL?

Hardly worthy of an exclamation point.......... :rolleyes:

SarahFan
5th February 2009, 17:38
Yes Anthony, link please. Either that or definitively state the ones you say are going and/or not coming. Having fun on the boards is one thing, however if you're going to make specific statements like that then you need to cite the details. Otherwise it's just innuendo and rumor mongering. Which would bring your credentials as a "journalist" into question.

are we alowed to ask the same of DD....just the other day he claimed the IRL was run well and finacially viable even though direct links and quotes by TG debunk his statements and devalue all his subsequent posts

garyshell
5th February 2009, 18:22
I'll be firing up a 2009 Milka Duno screwup counter for you all in my siggy.

Good luck to Doornbos anyway.

You gonna have one for Stompica too?

Gary

maxmach
5th February 2009, 18:22
This is a pathatic and feeble way to run an indycar program and a series. It was bad enough trying to "explain" why she was even out there and not runnig backmarker at some scca event where she belongs. NHL was a topnoch classy outfit, this isn't welfare racing. If you can't afford to run someone decent don't run, and of the ride buyers out there, she is the least talented. She makes the series look like a joke.

BobGarage
5th February 2009, 18:32
this isn't welfare racing. If you can't afford to run someone decent don't run

if every team in the IRL accepted those principles we would have less than 10 cars on the grid!

Oli_M
5th February 2009, 19:55
This makes you wonder exactly how viable Indycar really is anymore.

We're not talking about a back or even mid field team desperately after some cash so take whoever can bring the biggest wallet to them.... this is one of the top draw teams who have had to resort to this to keep themselves funded.

Perhaps the phrase "if you can't afford to run someone decent then don't run" really should be considered more carefully - is that really what you want Indycar to turn into? Surely if it got to the point (which is probably closer than anyone really wants to think/admit) when you were looking at only having 10 'proper' drivers, Indycar would SERIOUSLY have to re-evaluate itself and change the way it is perceived, marketed, and the package it offers potential investors.

MDS
5th February 2009, 21:19
Yes Anthony, link please. Either that or definitively state the ones you say are going and/or not coming. Having fun on the boards is one thing, however if you're going to make specific statements like that then you need to cite the details. Otherwise it's just innuendo and rumor mongering. Which would bring your credentials as a "journalist" into question.

I really question the ethics of any reporter commenting on a fan board of a sport that they cover, especially a reporter who slips out off the record information that they couldn't get into print. In this age it is far too easy to start rumors, or shape perception on message boards and blogs. Passing along unprintable information on a message board is just unehtical.

garyshell
6th February 2009, 00:05
I really question the ethics of any reporter commenting on a fan board of a sport that they cover, especially a reporter who slips out off the record information that they couldn't get into print. In this age it is far too easy to start rumors, or shape perception on message boards and blogs. Passing along unprintable information on a message board is just unehtical.

Hear! Hear!

Gary

Mad_Hatter
6th February 2009, 03:22
NHL was a topnoch classy outfit, this isn't welfare racing. If you can't afford to run someone decent don't run, and of the ride buyers out there, she is the least talented. She makes the series look like a joke.

I agree with you that NHL is a top class team excepting these recent rumors. It seems though that to me that the team brass had to make a hard decision between their options.
a) Turn down Duno and cut 20 or so a-grade employees and be faced with having to rehire sometime down the line. OR
b) Take the money, keep those jobs, and maybe hire a few more to take on the additional car.

We all know money is tight right now. Do I wish they would've gone for someone like EJ Viso instead, of course, but he is already signed to HVM. Yep she'd still be miles off the pace of Graham and RobertD, but can you honestly say you'd cut those jobs to "stay classy" ? Personally I'm still holding on to the hope that Justin Wilson also has some kind of job at NHL for the roads/streets too.

anthonyvop
6th February 2009, 15:18

No I don't.
I will not release that info because I was asked not to.
I have every right to withhold information or sources as every journalist has that right.

If you don't like or approve of what I write then may I suggest you don't read my work.

garyshell
6th February 2009, 16:03
No I don't.
I have every right to withhold information or sources as every journalist has that right.

Yet you have no trouble blabbing the information around without naming names.

If you don't like or approve of what I write then may I suggest you don't read my work.

Don't worry.

Gary

MDS
6th February 2009, 18:29
No I don't.

Actually there is no legal right privacy for journalists. That's why journalists go to jail to protect their sources because they don't have a legal right to deny access to their information. News media have some moral authority to protect sources, but sports reporters? Please, you're one step above drunken frat brother on the career ladder.

Also, I would put forward that you're still violating at least the spirit of your agreement by releasing the non-specific information on an internet forum.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you, but here goes. Posting cryptic, unconfirmed rumors on web forum is bad because other reporters read it, and now they have ammunition to go to the IRL management and ask "Is there any truth behind the rumors that three sponsors have left the IRL because feel they will never return their investment while the series is on Verses?"

Suddenly, something someone in confidence told you is now fodder for legit press because "It's an internet rumor." That's amatuer, tacky journalism and you should really stop doing it.

chuck34
6th February 2009, 22:51
OK this is just too disturbing for words. Milka? at NHL? say it ain't so!

I had some limited "hands-on" experience with Milka (get your minds out of the gutter) a few years back in the Rolex series. Let me tell you, unless she has done one h-e-l-l of a lot of driver schools she's not gonna surprise anyone. So those of you that are thinking that, don't put any money on it. The only thing that can be said for her is that she will stay out of people's way. And that can't be said of a lot of drivers of her "caliber". That works out well in Rolex when you can drive a lap or two and hand it over to your more talented co-driver. Why do you think that they now have a time minimum on driver stints?

And I don't often agree with DanicaFan, but she's right about Milka screwing up that team. Milka is gonna suck (again get out of the gutter guys) a lot of resources away from the other teams. There will be more than "average" crash damage. And I'm sure that since all the guys working at NHL are true professionals they will want to have the 3 best cars out there. So they will spend a lot of time coaching Milka and trying to "fix" her car to go faster. That is unless they run her stuff out of a different facility? Any chance of that???

nigelred5
7th February 2009, 00:01

Actually, IIRC, she was parked for a few races and it was suggesed that she get some private track time before she come back on track. What I found suprising was she didn't race the road courses where she at least has experience.

I agree, it appears as if she's helping fund a good deal of the budget that is allowing a three car team insted of a 1 car team. It's just the fact that a seat with NewmanHaas has been one of the most coveted rides in Indycar for over 25 years, and she's far from deserving of that seat on merit. I can only think of Paul Tracy and Graham Rahal as the only two NHL drivers without F1 race experience and Tracy is a former series champion and Graham will be one day, though I think he's far to big physically to be successful in modern F1 machinery.

She truly is an amazing woman, but MD isn't worthy of being in pit lane of an F1 race, let alone a race drive and she certainly hasn't earned that caliber of ride.

Mark in Oshawa
7th February 2009, 09:13
Hmph! It isnt' April 1st and it is Robin Miller, who rarely sticks his @ss this far out on a limb without the goods. I guess you really can buy a ride in a top flight race team in the IRL. It is one thing to be with D&R or own your own one car effort like Marty Roth, but now you have someone who is really not qualified to race at this level buying a ride with N/H/L. Paul Newman must be redlined in his GRAVE at this one.

Here though is the reason why. DOUGH REI MI guys....N/H/L is hurting for cash obviously and Bobby D's ING money isn't enough. This ride buy though must be seen as a gamble. They are gambling that they can get her to wreck or screw up less than 5 Million worth of cars and infrastructure so they can siphon off some of this cash to finance the two real top cars. If the economy is in good shape, Milka aint in this ride.....

Oh ya..I heard Chavez is 8 Billion in the hole to some private creditors and petro chemical partners. I wonder if that cash shortage due to the price of oil cratering might translate down to a bounced check for Duno? We can only hope.....

drewdawg727
7th February 2009, 17:39
Ok i've heard enough whining. I would like to throw some positive light through all of this.
Last year for D&RR, Milka AND Buddy rice were deathly slow. That is because the team had horrible resources and even when former Indy 500 winner Buddy restarted on the front of the queue, he was blown away to 10th place before the end of the restart lap. Milka led about 5 laps.

She is coming to terms with oval racing. I recall her staying in a LOT more races than Roth did, and she was even being somewhat competitive in her D&RR Citgo Machine.

Now that Milka is racing at NHL, she has better resources than ever, a better crew to work with, and perhaps a chance to flourish. Look for her to improve her already growing results.

This reminds me back in 2003 in CC when Rodolfo Lavin bought a ride at Forsythe. I was shocked that he beat out Carpentier for the ride, but he actually put forth a few really great results. I really hope that this is the same situation for Milka.
I do hope that they put Justin into the road course races though.

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2009, 02:02
Ok i've heard enough whining. I would like to throw some positive light through all of this.
Last year for D&RR, Milka AND Buddy rice were deathly slow. That is because the team had horrible resources and even when former Indy 500 winner Buddy restarted on the front of the queue, he was blown away to 10th place before the end of the restart lap. Milka led about 5 laps.

She is coming to terms with oval racing. I recall her staying in a LOT more races than Roth did, and she was even being somewhat competitive in her D&RR Citgo Machine.

Now that Milka is racing at NHL, she has better resources than ever, a better crew to work with, and perhaps a chance to flourish. Look for her to improve her already growing results.

This reminds me back in 2003 in CC when Rodolfo Lavin bought a ride at Forsythe. I was shocked that he beat out Carpentier for the ride, but he actually put forth a few really great results. I really hope that this is the same situation for Milka.

Sorry mate...I wont accept that she is somehow more acceptable because she was able to stay in where Roth didn't. That is damning with faint praise.

Listen, I don't think she was ever ready for this level of racing and she never really accomplished enough in other forms of racing to justify her being in this series if she didn't have the CITGO money. I am all for women in racing, but they have to be more than a pretty face. Danica, for all the abuse I have dished in her direction has at least proven she can run with the boys on the ovals and at least not be a menace on the road courses. Duno NEVER has proven that.

anthonyvop
9th February 2009, 01:40
Actually there is no legal right privacy for journalists. That's why journalists go to jail to protect their sources because they don't have a legal right to deny access to their information. News media have some moral authority to protect sources, but sports reporters? Please, you're one step above drunken frat brother on the career ladder.
Actually a journalist has to reveal a source in a criminal or judicial proceeding.

So if you want to sue me for the info go right ahead!

Also, I would put forward that you're still violating at least the spirit of your agreement by releasing the non-specific information on an internet forum.
You can put forward all you want but you would be wrong.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you, but here goes. Posting cryptic, unconfirmed rumors on web forum is bad because other reporters read it, and now they have ammunition to go to the IRL management and ask "Is there any truth behind the rumors that three sponsors have left the IRL because feel they will never return their investment while the series is on Verses?"
You mean that a "Respected" Journalist like Robin Miller would use as his inside source a cryptic blurb on an Internet message board?
I am Shocked? Shocked I say!

Suddenly, something someone in confidence told you is now fodder for legit press because "It's an internet rumor." That's amatuer, tacky journalism and you should really stop doing it.
Who are you to say how information is to be released?
Maybe the people who gave out the information wanted it released? Ever think of that?
Happens all the time.

garyshell
9th February 2009, 01:58
Maybe the people who gave out the information wanted it released? Ever think of that?
Happens all the time.

Oh, so you are willing to be a mouthpiece for folks who want rumors to be started without naming names? That explains a lot. And goes right to MDS's comment about "amatuer, tacky journalism". You certainly just did a whole lot for your credibility. :rolleyes:

Gary

F1boat
9th February 2009, 07:15
Well, who knows what will happen. IMO if this means that one talented driver will be hired (Doornbos) and NHL will race three cars - it is very cool. I am sorry that the money are not enough for Justin as well.

Lousada
9th February 2009, 12:04
When did Robert Doornbos sign with NHL? And with ING no less? I can't believe it.

downtowndeco
9th February 2009, 13:27
Happens all the time.

Seems to me if they wanted the information to be known to the public they would have issued a press release.

Chamoo
9th February 2009, 15:09
Ugh... We are still waiting for confirmation from NHL. I hate this.

Shifter
9th February 2009, 15:42
You gonna have one for Stompica too?

Gary

Well, I'm not really a Danica fan, but she's not so terrible I was planning to pick on her. Her performance on pit-lane entry roads has been atrocious though. I'll put one in for comparason's sake!

SarahFan
9th February 2009, 16:24
http://www.newman-haas.com/

looks like Justin and Graham are (still?)looking forward too surfers

????

chuck34
9th February 2009, 19:09

Dude no, sorry, but you are wrong. Milka is not good, never has been, never will be (probably, miracles do happen I guess). Equipment is not a factor. In the Rolex series she had some of the best equipment out there. Andy Wallace was her co-driver. He's one of the best sports car guys ever. He did all the set-up work on that car, and she would still be lucky to get within 3 or 4 seconds of his time, or anyone else's for that matter. She litterally couldn't warm up the tires for when Andy would jump in. She is not good and no amount of wishing or making excuses will change that.

Shifter
9th February 2009, 20:58
Just thought I'd mention...I searched youtube for Milka Duno and got a result of her getting motion sickness in a RB air race 2-seater. A driver getting motion sickness? She claimed 'the up and down' was too much compared to the left and right of a car.

garyshell
9th February 2009, 21:01
Just thought I'd mention...I searched youtube for Milka Duno and got a result of her getting motion sickness in a RB air race 2-seater. A driver getting motion sickness? She claimed 'the up and down' was too much compared to the left and right of a car.

Why do you think that doesn't sound plausible??? Did you ever do the trick of speeding up as you go over a rise in a hill and feel it in your stomach?

Gary

Shifter
9th February 2009, 21:17
Why do you think that doesn't sound plausible??? Did you ever do the trick of speeding up as you go over a rise in a hill and feel it in your stomach?

Gary

Well, I have ridden in a glider with an enthusiastic pilot. If that helps back up my point? I just really think she isn't cut out for it in a number of ways, in my opinion one of the worst drivers I've seen an any pro series...

garyshell
9th February 2009, 21:39
Well, I have ridden in a glider with an enthusiastic pilot. If that helps back up my point? I just really think she isn't cut out for it in a number of ways, in my opinion one of the worst drivers I've seen an any pro series...

It doesn't. My point was that some folks are susceptible to up and down motion sickness but not side to side. I can't ride facing backwards without feeling nausea. You were calling into question the differentiation between the two forms.

I am not arguing her abilities, but will say air sickness has NOTHING to do with it one way or the other.

Gary

ykiki
9th February 2009, 23:39
Interesting thing about Hiro - he actually won in Atlantics (1989 Pacific Division champion), then stunk it up in CART. That always baffled me. Was his competition that bad in Atlantics back then?

anthonyvop
10th February 2009, 03:31
Seems to me if they wanted the information to be known to the public they would have issued a press release.

You would think so huh?

Sometimes they don't want the word "leaked" out through normal channels. It happens all the time. Not just in racing but all sports and even politics.

So what is a reporter to do?
Not release the info because it might benefit somebody? Or write what you know and let the chips fall where they may?

speeddurango
10th February 2009, 08:15

Gary

That would be Mid Ohio then.

Andrewmcm
10th February 2009, 13:07
I think that there's a difference between motion sickness caused when a person is in control of something, and when they're a passenger. As as example I play computer games without any feeling of induced motion sickness at all, but if I watch someone else play a game it does make me feel a bit queasy. Perhaps this is the case here?

Jeremy Clarkson can rattle around a track in supercars without any motion sickness (it would seem) but he threw his guts up in the back of a F-15.

drewdawg727
10th February 2009, 13:25
Dude no, sorry, but you are wrong. Milka is not good, never has been, never will be (probably, miracles do happen I guess). Equipment is not a factor. In the Rolex series she had some of the best equipment out there. Andy Wallace was her co-driver. He's one of the best sports car guys ever. He did all the set-up work on that car, and she would still be lucky to get within 3 or 4 seconds of his time, or anyone else's for that matter. She litterally couldn't warm up the tires for when Andy would jump in. She is not good and no amount of wishing or making excuses will change that.

I understand where you're coming from, but I am a firm believer that everyone has potential to better themselves, so don't count her out just yet. (By the way, I am in no way a severe Milka supporter, just being fair and impartial).

chuck34
10th February 2009, 13:36
I understand where you're coming from, but I am a firm believer that everyone has potential to better themselves, so don't count her out just yet. (By the way, I am in no way a severe Milka supporter, just being fair and impartial).

Ok I'm with you. You're hoping for that miracle. That's fine, more power to you. I guess I'm just not as big an optimist as you are. Just don't go putting any money down on her.

drewdawg727
10th February 2009, 15:29
Ok I'm with you. You're hoping for that miracle. That's fine, more power to you. I guess I'm just not as big an optimist as you are. Just don't go putting any money down on her.

Haha. Don't worry, I am pretty protective over my money, and you'd better believe that I wouldn't put a penny on her.