PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Championship revives the $2M bonus

Placid
2nd February 2009, 00:56
After a meeting with Atlantic Team owners, Atlantic Series officials have provided with $3.5 million award for the 2009.

Then the 2009 Atlantic Champ will be awarded the $2M bonus to fund his 2010 campaign. In the past since the award was for the defunct Champ Car Series, this time the Champ will choose the series he pleases to compete worldwide.

It can be Indy Car, ALMS, and Grand-Am if the driver chooses to stay Stateside. If it's Europe, it can only go as far as GP2 or F2.

I was hoping for the Atlantic Series to work with a GP2 team that upon winning the Atlantic Championship, the driver should not only get the purse for 2010, but have the champ to test-ride a choice of an Indy Car or GP2 car.

Report:
http://www.eformulacarnews.com/news_info.php?n=4880&sid=d730046340e8f74d2c23579bb945a3cb

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd February 2009, 07:40
Great news. I hope the Atlantic Championship will stay afloat and flourish. Just like Indy Lights. And Star Mazda. And Formula BMW. And every single open-wheel development series there is in the US. The grassroots of the sport right now is very week compared to NASCAR's. And no, USAC does not count as the grassroots of Indycar.

Claus Hansen
2nd February 2009, 11:20
I dont think it will go down well, if the champ choose IRL, did IRL not state last year, that they only see one feeder series to IRL, and that were their own Indy Lights !

MDS
2nd February 2009, 13:04
I dont think it will go down well, if the champ choose IRL, did IRL not state last year, that they only see one feeder series to IRL, and that were their own Indy Lights !

How many drivers are Indy Lights graduates?

Chamoo
2nd February 2009, 14:23
IPS/FIL Graduates
Mutoh
Camara
Carpenter
Foyt IV
Lloyd

Indy Lights Pre-IRL
Castroneves
Wheldon

garyshell
2nd February 2009, 15:09
IPS/FIL Graduates
Mutoh
Camara
Carpenter
Foyt IV
Lloyd

Indy Lights Pre-IRL
Castroneves
Wheldon

Wow, that speaks volumes doesn't it.

Gary

ykiki
2nd February 2009, 18:22
IPS/FIL Graduates
Mutoh
Camara
Carpenter
Foyt IV
Lloyd

Indy Lights Pre-IRL
Castroneves
Wheldon

Well, Mutoh has a job for 2009...

Have Camara, Carpenter, Foyt & Lloyd been confirmed yet (seriously, I don't know)?

As far as Pre-IRL Indy Lights, that's a completely different series that is ressurected in name only, so I don't really think it's fair to compare to the current version of Indy Lights.

El Libertador
2nd February 2009, 20:24
I don't have any problems with Tony George, but making Long Beach and Edmonton Indy Lights races and eliminating any possibility of team owners catching a glimpse of some of the most talented open wheel prospects really bothers me, so I'm glad that this will help put these guys back on the map, even if it's only in a small way. It's disappointing, to say the least, that the feeder series situation was completely (and in all likelihood intentionally) overlooked in the unification.

MDS
2nd February 2009, 22:24
IPS/FIL Graduates
Mutoh
Camara
Carpenter
Foyt IV
Lloyd

I can't give you Castroneves and Wheldon cause it was a whole different series, but out of that list one one of them is confirmed for 2009 and he's a ride buyer. The only one on that list to get his ride by talent is Alex Lloyd, and he does have a full-time ride in Grand AM.

You did leave out Rapheal Matos, and Marco Andretti made a handful of starts, but I can't give you Castroneves and Wheldon, because it was an entirely different series.

The Atlantics meanwhile have graduated Graham Rahal, Danica Patrick and Rapheal Matos, Franck Pererra.

There are a number of drivers who got their start in various fomula series across the globe, so its not fair to consider the IPS the "Official feeder series" of the ICS, its more of a companion junior series. I think the IRL is somewhat crazy for not working better with the Atlantic and Mazda Star series, but that's the least of their problems at the moment.

vintage
3rd February 2009, 03:33
Why no mention of prize money in the Atlantic press release?

Chamoo
3rd February 2009, 16:13
I can't give you Castroneves and Wheldon cause it was a whole different series, but out of that list one one of them is confirmed for 2009 and he's a ride buyer. The only one on that list to get his ride by talent is Alex Lloyd, and he does have a full-time ride in Grand AM.

You did leave out Rapheal Matos, and Marco Andretti made a handful of starts, but I can't give you Castroneves and Wheldon, because it was an entirely different series.

The Atlantics meanwhile have graduated Graham Rahal, Danica Patrick and Rapheal Matos, Franck Pererra.

There are a number of drivers who got their start in various fomula series across the globe, so its not fair to consider the IPS the "Official feeder series" of the ICS, its more of a companion junior series. I think the IRL is somewhat crazy for not working better with the Atlantic and Mazda Star series, but that's the least of their problems at the moment.

I understand that Castroneves and Wheldon were from the original Indy Lights, the real Indy Lights. Thats why I put them in a different list.

Marco only made 2 IPS starts, but I could be wrong?

Atlantics have graduated many more drivers to good series then Indy Lights.

Atlantics also graduated Tagliani, Buddy Rice, Matos (give him credit for both FIL and Atlantics), as well as Wheldon competing in Atlantics.

underpowered
3rd February 2009, 20:44
I understand that Castroneves and Wheldon were from the original Indy Lights, the real Indy Lights. Thats why I put them in a different list.

You have to count Scott Dixon and Tony Kannan in the real Indy Lights, Neither Castroneves or Weldon won a Championship Tony and Scott did.

Mark in Oshawa
4th February 2009, 01:07
I do know that the IRL can ignore the Atlantics officially, but it wont change the opinion of team owners. If a quick kid comes out of Atlantics, they will take notice.

Atlantics have been traditionally an excellent run on the ladder but in the end, there is no reason the current Indy Lights format couldn't unearth great talent for the IRL. I personally like the Atlantics but that is just me wanting to see that connection to the tradition of guys like Rosberg, the Villeneuves (father and son), Rahal, and the like.

Chamoo
4th February 2009, 05:24
I do know that the IRL can ignore the Atlantics officially, but it wont change the opinion of team owners. If a quick kid comes out of Atlantics, they will take notice.

Atlantics have been traditionally an excellent run on the ladder but in the end, there is no reason the current Indy Lights format couldn't unearth great talent for the IRL. I personally like the Atlantics but that is just me wanting to see that connection to the tradition of guys like Rosberg, the Villeneuves (father and son), Rahal, and the like.

I think the FIL has trouble because all the good oval racers are in USAC trying to get noticed, and all the good road course drivers are in Atlantics trying to get noticed. That leaves the FIL with the rest.

Now with this purse and prize money for the champion, they will have a bit of an issue keeping talent out of the Atlantics and in the FIL.

garyshell
5th February 2009, 04:51
Starter,

I was wondering the same thing.

Gary

vintage
9th February 2009, 20:00
Hey Shamoo - "I think the FIL has trouble because all the good oval racers are in USAC trying to get noticed, and all the good road course drivers are in Atlantics trying to get noticed. That leaves the FIL with the rest."

How do you explain Matos, Pererra, and Hildebrand running in FIL? All prior competitive Atlantic drivers.

And how about Hildebrand qualifying sixth at Road Atlanta with no practice? He ran as high as fourth and ran the fastest lap of the race before an error trying to pass Summerton?

Chamoo
10th February 2009, 17:26
Hey Shamoo - "I think the FIL has trouble because all the good oval racers are in USAC trying to get noticed, and all the good road course drivers are in Atlantics trying to get noticed. That leaves the FIL with the rest."

How do you explain Matos, Pererra, and Hildebrand running in FIL? All prior competitive Atlantic drivers.

And how about Hildebrand qualifying sixth at Road Atlanta with no practice? He ran as high as fourth and ran the fastest lap of the race before an error trying to pass Summerton?

Just a personal opinion. I think that prior to the '08 season, any driver wanting to run road courses wanted to run Atlantics because that led them to CCWS. Any driver that wanted to run ovals would run USAC because they either wanted to go Nascabbin' or run IRL due to the ovals. I'm not totally sure what that left the FIL with. You saw some guys move over to FIL this season after the merger. But by the time of the merger, many of the Atlantics drivers had already signed contracts.

And you'll notice that all these guys, Matos, Perera and Hildebrand chose Atlantics before the FIL because they wanted to run road courses and they probably felt CCWS was a better car and schedule formula.

I still feel that Atlantics is a better option then the FIL. There is no real reason to choose FIL over Atlantics or USAC because there has been no recent history of FIL drivers graduating more often then Atlantics drivers.

Also, Atlantics grooms drivers for a career in other series better then the FIL. You'll see Atlantic drivers driving in ALMS and Grand-Am and going over to Europe and running sub-formulae there as well. You don't see a whole lot of FIL drivers running ALMS or Grand-Am because it doesn't train you to run high powered cars.

Atlantics is still the better formula for up and coming drivers, it is still the best learning tool for young AOWR racers, and is still well suited for europeans to come over to hone their skills. And with this infusion of cash from Ben Johnson, I think you'll see more drivers choose the Atlantics since it will pay out very well.

I also think Ben Johnson is positioning himself and the Atlantics series to grow into something bigger then it is at the moment. I think he might want to be growing the Atlantics series into a competitors of the IRL in the future. I'm not totally sure, it is just my opinion. But at the moment, it is at the top of it's respective ladder and provides a much more cost effective savings for owners and teams. In a couple of years, he is positioned with the ALMS and IMSA and Elan to produce or start production of DP01 racing cars again, and plop the Cosworths back into the cars. If he can produce a cheaper version of the CCWS and get many of the team owners from Atlantics to step up, along with his Marketing company, he could provide a real alternative to the IRL again.

This is just my personal opinion and I'm not saying it is going to happen, but he is well situated to do it.

PS: It's Chamoo, not Shamoo

IMSA
11th February 2009, 22:27
I also think Ben Johnson is positioning himself and the Atlantics series to grow into something bigger then it is at the moment. I think he might want to be growing the Atlantics series into a competitors of the IRL in the future. I'm not totally sure, it is just my opinion. But at the moment, it is at the top of it's respective ladder and provides a much more cost effective savings for owners and teams. In a couple of years, he is positioned with the ALMS and IMSA and Elan to produce or start production of DP01 racing cars again, and plop the Cosworths back into the cars. If he can produce a cheaper version of the CCWS and get many of the team owners from Atlantics to step up, along with his Marketing company, he could provide a real alternative to the IRL again.

This is just my personal opinion and I'm not saying it is going to happen, but he is well situated to do it.

PS: It's Chamoo, not Shamoo

Not to be a smart a$$, but you obviously do not know Ben Johnston. I doubt very seriously that anyone will see the big $$ "promised".

I bet money this will be the last year for the Atlantic series - what a shame -- Trans-Am-- then this deal. BJ has no experience or the "deep pockets" needed to fund a series.

That is my opinion! Let's all visit at the end of the season.

CCWS77
12th February 2009, 02:23
Why do you assume Atlantic needs to be funded out of the pocket of the owner? You are forgetting it actually has sponsors Mazda and Cooper tires and in some cases gets sanctioning fees. i have no idea about the balance sheets but Mazda directly covers the Star Mazda grand prize you think it is impossible they would cover this? Seems more like you are projecting negativity then probing for facts.

pits4me
16th February 2009, 21:51
Why do you assume Atlantic needs to be funded out of the pocket of the owner? You are forgetting it actually has sponsors Mazda and Cooper tires and in some cases gets sanctioning fees. i have no idea about the balance sheets but Mazda directly covers the Star Mazda grand prize you think it is impossible they would cover this? Seems more like you are projecting negativity then probing for facts.

Most people don't understand the heritage of Atlantic's. It will always be the premier open-wheel development series of North America.

Good to see the 2003 series champion bring Petty's #44 home in 3rd at Daytona yesterday.

IMSA
16th February 2009, 22:03

Why would I assume that? Well...for the last few years it was funded out of the owners pockets. Just ask KK or GF or anyone involved in CCWS.

What has changed since last year or the years before??? --NOTHING with the exception of GF and KK are not writing BIG checks to cover the cost of the series.

Same thing for the Trans-Am Series, GF and KK stated NO more $$ and the series went away. Atlantics found a big SUCKER!!

Reality will set in for Johnston soon!!

Just wait and see.

pits4me
16th February 2009, 22:13
Please stop grabbing at straws IMSA. No amount of money was going to save Trans-AM from NASCAR'S quest to eliminate it.

pits4me
17th February 2009, 01:30
SCCA has struggled with many a pro series, but isn't that what most Sports Car Clubs tend to do.

Trans-AM was destined for failure shortly after the NTB/BF Goodrich announcement. There was a lot of arm twisting in Detroit to get Ford and GM out. The same arm twisting that pulled Dodge and Toyota out of the NATCC.

It would be great to see the series return with Mustangs, Camaros, Baracuda's, etc. but TV would rather forcefeed us the Cars of Tomorrow.

gofastandwynn
22nd February 2009, 20:08
If Johnson want to give the Atlantics a real go then he had better get his act together. It is 27 days till the season opener and there have been 2 announced drivers (John Edwards & Max Lefevre), no tv package, and it appears that James Hinchcliffe & Jonathan Summerton will be racing in Indy Lights this season.

IMSA
23rd February 2009, 12:02
If Johnson want to give the Atlantics a real go then he had better get his act together. It is 27 days till the season opener and there have been 2 announced drivers (John Edwards & Max Lefevre), no tv package, and it appears that James Hinchcliffe & Jonathan Summerton will be racing in Indy Lights this season.

Maybe the teams and drivers are seeing through the smoke.

All anyone has to do is a simple background check and they will see.

garyshell
23rd February 2009, 17:16
Maybe the teams and drivers are seeing through the smoke.

All anyone has to do is a simple background check and they will see.

Care to elaborate? Or are you only willing to provide innuendo?

Gary

Chamoo
23rd February 2009, 20:57
I have confidence the Atlantic series will run this year. I'm sure this year will go off as planned, it's next year I'm worried about.