PDA

View Full Version : 'ello what's this?

Tazio
1st February 2009, 14:35
Apparently pigs have begun to fly! :confused:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/02/01/mclaren-and-ferrari-s-united-front/

Seriously this is the type of consortium that will enable the teams to neutralize the wicked Troll. :up:

"McLaren and Ferrari are claiming to be 'working extremely closely together' and to have put their bitter rivalry - which resulted in McLaren being excluded from the constructors' championship in 2007 and fined $100million - behind them.

Ron Dennis says that the collaboration off-track has yielded 'prodound' results and last week Ferrari communications director Luca Colajanni visited McLaren's factory for talks with Dennis.

If you told me a year ago that I would be doing this, I wouldn't have believed you," Colajanni was quoted as saying by the BBC.

Meanwhile Dennis has gone on the record telling the official F1 site, "The result of our co-operation, supported by all the other teams, has already been profound. FOTA has already achieved great things, and it will achieve even greater things in the weeks, months and years to come."

"We're not complacent; we're not reluctant to embrace radical change; we're not hidebound by on-track rivalries," he added. "Working together for the good of the future of F1, we'll continue to devise powerful strategies and innovations intended to improve our sport so as to make it more affordable, more environmentally friendly and more appealing to spectators and TV viewers."

1st February 2009, 15:57
It will never last.

ioan
1st February 2009, 17:00
It will never last.

I agree it's just a PR thing from McLaren who are trying to clear their image now that Ron will leave.

BDunnell
1st February 2009, 17:09
I agree it's just a PR thing from McLaren who are trying to clear their image now that Ron will leave.

In which case, why did Ferrari consent to it? It is clearly a 'PR thing', but I don't agree with your view of the motivation, which I feel is rooted far more in the growth of FOTA as an influence within the sport.

ArrowsFA1
1st February 2009, 17:10
It will never last.

Not particularly surprising responses, but the facts are that 1) Ron Dennis proposed that Luca di Montezemelo became chairman of FOTA and 2) Luca has said "the unity of the teams has been extraordinary".

It's not just about McLaren, or Ferrari, but all the teams. Certainly reaching agreements during the off-season is likely to be easier than during the heat of competition once the season starts, but the formation of FOTA is a significant development for the future of F1.

gloomyDAY
1st February 2009, 17:11
And the bitter old men award goes to....

It will never last.
Why did Ferrari agree to meet? I highly doubt that Luca would have accepted the invitation to the enemy headquarters if he knew they were being used.

Here's your prize fellas!

http://www.ivyhall.com/categories/napkin_rings/images/fullsize/0244_rooster_nr_fs.jpg

Tazio
1st February 2009, 17:20
Not particularly surprising responses, but the facts are that 1) Ron Dennis proposed that Luca di Montezemelo became chairman of FOTA and 2) Luca has said "the unity of the teams has been extraordinary".

It's not just about McLaren, or Ferrari, but all the teams. Certainly reaching agreements during the off-season is likely to be easier than during the heat of competition once the season starts, but the formation of FOTA is a significant development for the future of F1.Spot on :up:
Luca d is fast becomming the obama of the F1 kingdom. :p :
That makes Ron Hillary, and Flav??????? :laugh:
Max=Putin :)
Bernie= take your pick of any corporate elite ready to pull the chord on his golden parrachute ;)

1st February 2009, 19:21
And the bitter old men award goes to....

Well, I don't agree with Ioan that is just a Mclaren 'PR' thing.

I just don't believe that Ferrari, Mclaren-Mercedes, BMW, Renault, Toyota, Williams, Red Bull & Force India will remain a united front.

It's not that I don't trust team 'x' or team 'y'. I don't trust any of them to be benign or respectful when it comes to getting an advantage.

1st February 2009, 19:59
Well, I don't agree with Ioan that is just a Mclaren 'PR' thing.

I just don't believe that Ferrari, Mclaren-Mercedes, BMW, Renault, Toyota, Williams, Red Bull & Force India will remain a united front.

It's not that I don't trust team 'x' or team 'y'. I don't trust any of them to be benign or respectful when it comes to getting an advantage.

EG - BMW vetoeing the proposed KERS delay.

I don't blame them at all. They don't owe any of the other teams any favours. Likewise, no team owes anything performance wise to the others. It was the FIA, was it not, that allowed Renault to change their engine, not the other engine makers?

leopard
2nd February 2009, 09:07
The boss were already in talk, the two drivers have a handshake.

good news...

harsha
2nd February 2009, 09:52
April 1st is a long time yet :/

trumperZ06
2nd February 2009, 15:34
;) Old Addage: The enemy of my enemy is my friend !!!

FOTA is uniting to break the Bernie/Max monopoly...

Time will tell if they are successful.

ioan
2nd February 2009, 18:32
In which case, why did Ferrari consent to it?

Why shouldn't they?!
Maybe for the same reason they decided to drop the legal actions against McLaren and Ron?
Because Ferrari are not the bad guys as some always thought.

ioan
2nd February 2009, 18:37
Let's not forget that at Mclaren's proposal the two teams (Ferrari and McLaren) had an agreement, at the start of the 2007 season, that stated that they will not attack each other outside the track!
Yeah right! :rotflmao:
As soon as the first race of 2007 McLaren started calling Ferrari cheaters and 2 months later were found to be using all of the Ferrari F2007 technical data!

Who believes in Santa Claus?!

BDunnell
2nd February 2009, 18:44
Why shouldn't they?!
Maybe for the same reason they decided to drop the legal actions against McLaren and Ron?
Because Ferrari are not the bad guys as some always thought.

So you seriously believe that Ferrari is just going along with McLaren, and thus the whole FOTA thing, to prove that it isn't the nasty team that some people believed it to be after 'spygate'? If so, I think you are seriously misguided. There is a bit more to it than this. How long the accord lasts is anyone's guess, but it does genuinely exist on some level at this time.

Tazio
2nd February 2009, 19:56
So you seriously believe that Ferrari is just going along with McLaren, and thus the whole FOTA thing, to prove that it isn't the nasty team that some people believed it to be after 'spygate'? If so, I think you are seriously misguided. There is a bit more to it than this. How long the accord lasts is anyone's guess, but it does genuinely exist on some level at this time.Not only is it genuine
IMO It's a big deal. For Ron to step down, yet still champion the cause on a higher level than just his interest for mac
say's something to me! (and no! I havn't joined the Anglo-Mafia)
These are the times when the big fish have to start swimming Metaphorcally speaking of course! JMO

BDunnell
2nd February 2009, 20:27
Not only is it genuine
IMO It's a big deal. For Ron to step down, yet still champion the cause on a higher level than just his interest for mac
say's something to me! (and no! I havn't joined the Anglo-Mafia)
These are the times when the big fish have to start swimming Metaphorcally speaking of course! JMO

I must say I certainly agree with tamburello's view that it won't last, and not just between Ferrari and McLaren, but its significance at this point cannot be doubted. And it may very well be that Dennis' nomination of di Montezemelo as the head of FOTA is more than just a symbolic gesture of 'reconciliation' on Dennis' part. He may well have realised that di Montezemelo has the best chance of anybody of maintaining some degree of common ground amongst the teams for as long as possible.

ioan
2nd February 2009, 22:05
So you seriously believe that Ferrari is just going along with McLaren, and thus the whole FOTA thing, to prove that it isn't the nasty team that some people believed it to be after 'spygate'? If so, I think you are seriously misguided. There is a bit more to it than this. How long the accord lasts is anyone's guess, but it does genuinely exist on some level at this time.

I guess I should have used a smiley to evidentiate sarcasm. :)

callum122
3rd February 2009, 02:52
I guess when Bernie keeps raping you, its nice to know you have a friend :)