PDA

View Full Version : We're listening .

Bagwan
30th January 2009, 12:45
Apparently , we'll be listening in on all the yack between driver and pit this year , as all the transmissions will be open to the TV feed .

If true , it'll be cool .

nigelred5
30th January 2009, 14:23
I love listening to the in-car radio at the track. Actually that's a very integral part of attending races to me. I've heard some classic conversations.

One of my favorites was the genesis of Hiro Matsuas' knick name - 'king Hiro! Gotta key that mike up on time there Emo!
Nigel requesting a bathroom break at Indy, then actually hearing it was classic.
Nascar had to implement regs on the language used during in car transmissions.

I imagine most of the F1 teams communicate with the drivers in English?

trumperZ06
30th January 2009, 17:47
;) Open mikes may not be as exciting as we think.

I've heard the sound quality makes it very difficult to comunicate between the driver and pit crew.

christophulus
31st January 2009, 00:12
I know they had to start broadcasting it with a delay when Fisichella(?) commented on how 'flipping-poor' his car was live on TV :)

Would be good if it was in any way relevant but it only ever seems to be random fuel mix codes in my experience

philipbain
31st January 2009, 11:25
You do get the odd gem coming over the radio in F1, Montoya was always one of the more colourful characters in this respect, this clip is a classic example: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4-zEnO_KwDg and another http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=heCsKujaxs4

philipbain
31st January 2009, 11:29
Another thing that I like about F1 team radio is that it works like air traffic - all communication is in english, irrespective of the nationality of the teams, engineers and drivers, so for example, Timo Glock, a german driver, will talk to his engineer in the Toyota team, a japanese backed team based in germany with primarilly german staff in perfect english, great for english speaking viewers!

Nikki Katz
31st January 2009, 12:28
I know they had to start broadcasting it with a delay when Fisichella(?) commented on how 'flipping-poor' his car was live on TV :)

Would be good if it was in any way relevant but it only ever seems to be random fuel mix codes in my experience
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Fisichella, I seem to remember that happening.

The delay really makes the messages meaningless mostly - the broadcast ones often seemed to be "pit this lap" to the driver, but due to the 2 lap delay he'd already pitted the previous lap. Never fails to confuse the commentators either. Most of the other transmissions are just in driver-talk and I can't really understand anyway :)

Powered by Cosworth
31st January 2009, 13:31
Haha, that dear one was great.

leopard
2nd February 2009, 06:43
I am not trying to be an introvert, but to air so that public can listen to conversation between crew and driver could damage privacy of others. I think they can arrange strategy while drivers are racing at the track, to disclose their communication it will make communication ineffective. They may talk only about technical problem then, and make very selective conversation about strategy.

I think investigation against every infringement still have enough space to observe other than copying conversation made by teams.

wedge
2nd February 2009, 14:48
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Fisichella, I seem to remember that happening.

Yep, at Imola 2005.

I am not trying to be an introvert, but to air so that public can listen to conversation between crew and driver could damage privacy of others. I think they can arrange strategy while drivers are racing at the track, to disclose their communication it will make communication ineffective. They may talk only about technical problem then, and make very selective conversation about strategy.

I think investigation against every infringement still have enough space to observe other than copying conversation made by teams.

That's why Ferrari and McLaren conversations are never heard in the race but I disagree. It's like looking at the telemetry, you get a good insight how a team and more importantly how a driver operates his brain.

Most of the excerpts generally state the obvious and provide nothing new for the hardcore fans. Last year I was most impressed by Alonso's conversations. Particularly in Monaco he literally dictated the strategy ironically before he punted someone off at Loews hairpin.

Also it showed showed how hard Pat Symonds/Renault are at showing the whip. It was quite easy to laugh at how Piquet Jr and Fisi frequently got the "C'mon mate, lets push, push, push" treatement and even Alonso got it last year!

Another thing that I like about F1 team radio is that it works like air traffic - all communication is in english, irrespective of the nationality of the teams, engineers and drivers, so for example, Timo Glock, a german driver, will talk to his engineer in the Toyota team, a japanese backed team based in germany with primarilly german staff in perfect english, great for english speaking viewers!

I remember Brundle saying English is the universal language of motorsport. I've been watching some Super GTs recently and they don't hesitate to speak English over the radio to their cosmopolitan line up of drivers.

leopard
3rd February 2009, 06:53
That's why Ferrari and McLaren conversations are never heard in the race but I disagree. It's like looking at the telemetry, you get a good insight how a team and more importantly how a driver operates his brain.

I heard once, The crew told Kimi to pick more rubber,

ChrisS
3rd February 2009, 10:08

I also seem to remember a case where Ferrari informed Kimi they were on live TV, either so he wouldn't use inappropriate language or to avoid saying anything important

wedge
3rd February 2009, 10:40
I heard once, The crew told Kimi to pick more rubber,

You always hear stuff after the chequered flag falls eg. "fantastic, well done', "pick up rubber", never during the race itself.

Dzeidzei
3rd February 2009, 18:09
You do get the odd gem coming over the radio in F1, Montoya was always one of the more colourful characters in this respect, this clip is a classic example: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4-zEnO_KwDg and another http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=heCsKujaxs4

I think thats not Juan Pablo cursing on the radio. It was his subconscious already knowing that eventually this guy would kick his ass out of F1 :)

Spooky, isnt it?

leopard
4th February 2009, 06:34
You always hear stuff after the chequered flag falls eg. "fantastic, well done', "pick up rubber", never during the race itself.

Yeah, I think it referred to that term too...

They may use such transmitting message as that during the race to tell the drivers about something emergency, such when they told Massa to get back into the pit being black-flagged for ignoring traffic...

nigelred5
4th February 2009, 13:40

Damage Privacy? What privacy? It's racing for cripes sake. Listening to the teams obviously sending false information back and forth on setups and pit strategies is part of the game. It's better than bluffing in high stakes Poker.
Open communication has been the standard in the US for years. It's part of the experience for the fan. Attend a race with a scanner and open frequencies once, you'll wonder how you ever attended a race without it. You get to hear the personalities, the strategy, the problems, even their vacation plans.

F1 likes to keep everything so secret so the "fans" don't realize what they are missing. The mystery of F1 is that it really isn't all that special.

Roamy
6th February 2009, 16:15
I love listening to the in-car radio at the track. Actually that's a very integral part of attending races to me. I've heard some classic conversations.

One of my favorites was the genesis of Hiro Matsuas' knick name - 'king Hiro! Gotta key that mike up on time there Emo!
Nigel requesting a bathroom break at Indy, then actually hearing it was classic.
Nascar had to implement regs on the language used during in car transmissions.

I imagine most of the F1 teams communicate with the drivers in English?

mucho despachio pendayho

K-Pu
6th February 2009, 16:22
mucho despachio pendayho

Or "Aijabajaus in te countrisai" in Spain XD

gloomyDAY
6th February 2009, 16:25
Why is it that old concepts, such as listening to radio transmissions or night racing, seem new in F1?
Just let us eavesdrop. More people want to know what's going on inside those cars.

mucho despachio pendayho

Or "Aijabajaus in te countrisai" in Spain XD
:laugh:

Tazio
6th February 2009, 20:54
It should be up to the team! If the organizers want to sweeten the pot to do it that's cool too. Unless it's written into your contract. I think any driver should should have the option of kicking the mass media out of his freaking cockpit!

Tazio
6th February 2009, 23:30
You get to hear the personalities, the strategy, the problems, even their vacation plans.

F1 likes to keep everything so secret so the "fans" don't realize what they are missing. The mystery of F1 is that it really isn't all that special.
Sounds like voyeurism to me.

And fans complain about Max's personal life :dozey: Pathetic

I think they should allow fans to IM drivers :confused: Make it an interactive experience :laugh:

While were at it we can do away with those pesky commercials! SV can pitch RED Bull while going through the parabolica :laugh:

wedge
7th February 2009, 01:22
Sounds like voyeurism to me.

And fans complain about Max's personal life :dozey: Pathetic

I think they should allow fans to IM drivers :confused: Make it an interactive experience :laugh:

While were at it we can do away with those pesky commercials! SV can pitch RED Bull while going through the parabolica :laugh:

Fair enough, I respect your opinion. Yes its voyeurism and I do get a kick from standing in a garage at a minor level race meeting and try not to make nuisance of myself.

Pit reports show good insight but with the radio stuff its straight from the horses' mouth.

Far more enjoyable in the enduro races whether it be ALMS or even Indycars or NASCAR - plenty of fans with scanners - when the teams need to make adjustments and sudden change in strategy.

I suppose its like the audio of the plane that went down into the Hudson. The pilot was as cool as Kimi!

Tazio
7th February 2009, 01:50
Fair enough, I respect your opinion. Yes its voyeurism and I do get a kick from standing in a garage at a minor level race meeting and try not to make nuisance of myself.

Pit reports show good insight but with the radio stuff its straight from the horses' mouth.

Far more enjoyable in the enduro races whether it be ALMS or even Indycars or NASCAR - plenty of fans with scanners - when the teams need to make adjustments and sudden change in strategy.

I suppose its like the audio of the plane that went down into the Hudson. The pilot was as cool as Kimi!Perhaps I was a little over the top.
It has to be on a per team basis. Let’s show a little respect for the autonomy of each team, and what they may perceive as an advantage gained by proprietary innovation! Perhaps some drivers would find it a distraction to even have to think about what to say and not to say. It may be different at other disciplines, and with apologies to N'reds none of those others are at this sharp of the pointy end of the spectrum! Here is a correlation! It has become fashionable to mike. Baseball coaches during the World Series, and speak to them on camera during the game. Call me an old fart, but I find that self serving by the network. As a ballplayer I find it insulting to the guy going out and leaving his last drop of blood on the field. And as a spectator I find it retarded! JMHO
Peace bro's :)

millencolin
7th February 2009, 05:42
My fav car-to-pit radio is when Webber in Fuji in that rain soaked race...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZpnWhM7JSE

Classic

Tazio
7th February 2009, 06:33
My fav car-to-pit radio is when Webber in Fuji in that rain soaked race...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZpnWhM7JSE

ClassicThat proves my point Mark couldn't even admit he was out with Kimi the night before the race and KR drank his @ss under the table! :p :

wedge
7th February 2009, 13:05
It has become fashionable to mike. Baseball coaches during the World Series, and speak to them on camera during the game. Call me an old fart, but I find that self serving by the network. As a ballplayer I find it insulting to the guy going out and leaving his last drop of blood on the field. And as a spectator I find it retarded! JMHO
Peace bro's :)

I think its different sporting cultures and the level of media scrutiny achievable today.

I think most motorsport fans will never tire of getting closer to the sport whether it be in-car cams, drivers being miked up to the commentary booth and now radio which are now edited to take out the expletives.