PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV bails.....Another Domino?

anthonyvop
30th January 2009, 03:18
http://thescore.ibj.com/content/?p=772

Now Direct TV.

MDS
30th January 2009, 03:44
humm... 22 cars

Right now confirmed we have

Andretti Green: Danica "I have talent somewhere" Patrick, Tony "Paycheck" Kanaan, Marco "Won the genetic lottery" Andretti, Hedki Mutoh
Team Penske: Will "Not that I want Helio to go to jail" Power, Ryan Brisco
Target Ganassi: Scott Dixon, Dario "I thought I didn't feel safe in these cars" Franchitti
Dayle Coyne: Two drivers announced two weeks before St. Pete
Panther: Dan "I totally didn't take a step down" Wheldon
NHL: Graham Rahal
HVM: E.J. Viso
KVRT: Mario Moraes
Vision: Ed "In Law" Carpenter
Conquest: Alex Tagliani
Foyt: Vitor Meira
Luczo Dragon: Rapheal "I've won like five training championships" Matos
D&RR: "Midpack" Mike Conway
3G: Stanton "Dude I'm an Indcar Driver now" Barrett

So that's 20 confirmed cars as far as I'm concerned, although I still consider 3G a bit shakey as to making it a full season. You add to that realistic shots of second cars at KVRT, D&RR, NHL, PCM/Rubicon and Vision you could have 25 full time cars. Of course six drivers are ride buyers and that number could rise above 10 pretty quickly

Personally I only think two or three of the potential second cars will get done and we'll start with 23 full time teams and be down to 21 or so, with 18-20 drivers starting the whole season.

For all the bad news there should be decent bumping at Indy, and a couple of races could swell to 26 cars. You can say the dominos start falling when most of the second cars never get to the track, 3G folds and Rubicon evaporates.

garyshell
30th January 2009, 04:36
http://thescore.ibj.com/content/?p=772

Now Direct TV.

Hardly a domiono:

Griffin confirmed that the IRL also lost DirecTV as a presenting sponsor. Griffin said the series’ deal with DirecTV broke down when IRL signed a deal to air races on Comcast-owned Versus cable TV channel.
“One of DirecTV’s biggest competitors is Comcast,” Griffin said. “They felt it didn’t make sense to have their logo and support in a position where it supported a Comcast initiative in any way.”

A competitive business decision, pure and simple.

Gary

DanicaFan
30th January 2009, 05:21
I dont blame DirecTV. I never liked the move to Versus and this just confirms it even more. What a joke to go to that network.

drewdawg727
30th January 2009, 12:54
uh...didn't HVM confirm Doornbos (or almost) and not Viso? I have not heard any official announcement that Viso is racing with HVM.

I am praying that Hunter-Reay gets a ride....he has so much more to show.

anthonyvop
30th January 2009, 13:31
Hardly a domiono:

Gary
How do you keep from getting busy with all that spin.

Lets see in 24 hours the IRL has:
Lost a team owned by one of it's most famous names.
Lost a major sponsor
Announced that they have 18 cars ready to run.

Now if you were a potential sponsor would you want to jump on board after all that

BobGarage
30th January 2009, 13:56
uh...didn't HVM confirm Doornbos (or almost) and not Viso? I have not heard any official announcement that Viso is racing with HVM.

nope. Viso was confirmed at HVM back in December!

http://www.indycar.com/news/index.php?story_id=12909

E.J. Viso is signed with HVM Racing for the 2009 IndyCar Series season, and likely will have a teammate.

Mark in Oshawa
30th January 2009, 15:25

Lost a major sponsor

Now if you were a potential sponsor would you want to jump on board after all that

Ummm...this just in : THERE IS A RECESSION ON!!!

You think any sponsor is going to "jump in" and then get cold feet over losing Direct TV, and saw one team fold? Heck....this is happening everywhere. If a sponsor was looking at the IRL last week, I think they are optimistic enough that this week isn't going to change their mind. If they were going to jump in this week and this scared them off, they likely were not serious or going to be a good partner anyhow. Realistic sponsors to something like the IRL are going to look big picture at where the series would go and what would be required to get it there, and nothing this week would alter their plans if they were serious.

Any good sponsor with a long term plan that will help the IRL understands much of what we are seeing right now is short term belt tightening and reactionary. If the economy picks up by 2010, wouldn't getting in NOW be a good thing?

downtowndeco
30th January 2009, 16:16
I know that there are some here that would, out of spite, like to see the IRL fold. It's not going to happen.

I know that there are some here that think the IRL is as poorly managed as CART or CCWS were. It is not.

I know that there are some here that think one or two teams not being able to find sponsorship means that the IRL is a failure and is on the verge of collapse. It is not. The country is in the worst recession in 30 years. That 90% of the field will be back is a credit to the series for keeping costs under control.

Here's looking forward to a great 09 season.

SarahFan
30th January 2009, 16:45
I know that there are some here that would, out of spite, like to see the IRL fold. It's not going to happen.

I know that there are some here that think the IRL is as poorly managed as CART or CCWS were. It is not.

of coarse recent direct quotes from Tony George completly debunk those two sentiments

EagleEye
30th January 2009, 18:47
humm... 22 cars

Andretti Green: Danica "I have talent somewhere" Patrick, Tony "Paycheck" Kanaan, Marco "Won the genetic lottery" Andretti, Hedki Mutoh
Team Penske: Will "Not that I want Helio to go to jail" Power, Ryan Brisco
Target Ganassi: Scott Dixon, Dario "I thought I didn't feel safe in these cars" Franchitti
Dayle Coyne: Two drivers announced two weeks before St. Pete
Panther: Dan "I totally didn't take a step down" Wheldon
NHL: Graham Rahal
HVM: E.J. Viso
KVRT: Mario Moraes
Vision: Ed "In Law" Carpenter
Conquest: Alex Tagliani
Foyt: Vitor Meira
Luczo Dragon: Rapheal "I've won like five training championships" Matos
D&RR: "Midpack" Mike Conway
3G: Stanton "Dude I'm an Indcar Driver now" Barrett

To update:

"Hondeki" Mutoh
Mario Morae$$
Vitor "Bridesmaid" Meira

NHL will most likely have a second car, but I would not expect RD to be in the car, despite what his people are saying. If their money comes in, so will he.

Vision will also run a second car again, which will almost certainly be with AJ IV, but there are a few dark horses lurking there. Wilson? RHR?

garyshell
30th January 2009, 23:39
Hardly a domino:

Griffin confirmed that the IRL also lost DirecTV as a presenting sponsor. Griffin said the series’ deal with DirecTV broke down when IRL signed a deal to air races on Comcast-owned Versus cable TV channel.
“One of DirecTV’s biggest competitors is Comcast,” Griffin said. “They felt it didn’t make sense to have their logo and support in a position where it supported a Comcast initiative in any way.”

Gary

Lost a major sponsor

My comment was ONLY about the DirectTV decision, nothing else. Their decision was not a domino, it had nothing to do with any of the other things you mentioned above. All it was about was the fact that a competitor of theirs was now the broadcast partner. You did read the quote I posted, right?

Gary

FormerFF
31st January 2009, 02:38
I have to throw the BS flag on Comcast for this one. Versus is a cable channel, as is ESPN. It just happens to be owned by a cable provider rather than a media company. If Comcast is such an anathema to DirectTV, why do they carry Versus on their service, and in HD no less?

I think a more honest answer would be, "the economy stinks, we don't think we'll get much in return for our promotional spending, so we're going to use the TV deal with Comcast's Versus as an excuse". Alas, we'll never know what their real reasoning was.

However, I don't see any sort of domino effect happening. You may see other sponsors fall by the wayside, but that will be the economy more than anything.

El Libertador
31st January 2009, 23:09
I have to throw the BS flag on Comcast for this one. Versus is a cable channel, as is ESPN. It just happens to be owned by a cable provider rather than a media company. If Comcast is such an anathema to DirectTV, why do they carry Versus on their service, and in HD no less?

Because Comcast makes more money when you switch to Comcast AND watch VERSUS, instead of watching VERSUS on DirecTV.

dataman1
2nd February 2009, 15:26
Regardless, the team guys will be glad they don't have to carry those fake Direct TV dishes and mount them on their stands. What a joke marketing scheme that was.

icehammer97
3rd February 2009, 02:51
To update:

"Hondeki" Mutoh
Mario Morae$$
Vitor "Bridesmaid" Meira

NHL will most likely have a second car, but I would not expect RD to be in the car, despite what his people are saying. If their money comes in, so will he.

Vision will also run a second car again, which will almost certainly be with AJ IV, but there are a few dark horses lurking there. Wilson? RHR?

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1233623405/formula_one/USracing/Doornbos-signs-NHL-contract/view.html

"Robert Doornbos will race for Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing in the 2009 IndyCar Series. The Dutch newspaper 'Het Algemeen Dagblad' reported yesterday the Dutchman has signed a contract at the outfit." Looks like RD will be in the second NHL car.

Also with KV staying at just one car I would throw PT as a second dark horse. If he can get some $$ TG will want him in a car to help the two Canadian races so people don't call them mistakes.

Mark in Oshawa
4th February 2009, 01:12
http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1233623405/formula_one/USracing/Doornbos-signs-NHL-contract/view.html

"Robert Doornbos will race for Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing in the 2009 IndyCar Series. The Dutch newspaper 'Het Algemeen Dagblad' reported yesterday the Dutchman has signed a contract at the outfit." Looks like RD will be in the second NHL car.

Also with KV staying at just one car I would throw PT as a second dark horse. If he can get some $$ TG will want him in a car to help the two Canadian races so people don't call them mistakes.

I will believe Doorbos is here with the same thought I had when Jos Verstappen was coming to CCWS a few years back...I will believe it when I see it while hoping it happens.

As for the Canadian races they will NOT be mistakes. They were successful for CART for years in Toronto's case and Edmonton did draw well with a less appealing product than what will be on display this year. That said, PT or another Canadian is needed in this series to firm up Canadian support for the series.

Mark in Oshawa
4th February 2009, 01:13
of coarse recent direct quotes from Tony George completly debunk those two sentiments

Keep trollling. I don't love TG and have seen him say dumb things but he has for the most part let some pretty good people run this series.