PDA

View Full Version : Allmendinger update

champcarray
29th January 2009, 22:03
Team Petty signed AJ for the season, though they only have sponsorship dollars to run the first 8 events. Here's yesterday's (1/28/09) press release:

A.J. Allmendinger agreed Wednesday to a one-year contract to drive the No. 44 Dodge for Richard Petty Motorsports.

Allmendinger, 27, will start the first eight races of the 2009 NASCAR Sprint Cup season for Richard Petty Motorsports, which is seeking additional sponsorship for the remainder of the campaign.

“This is pretty awesome news to me,” Allmendinger said. “I just want to get behind the wheel of a race car and race. We have a lot of work to do on the track and need to sell some sponsorship.”

After a disappointing 2008 season during which he recorded two top-10 finishes in 27 races, Allmendinger was released by Gillett Evernham Motorsports, which recently merged with Petty Enterprises to form Richard Petty Motorsports.

Team owner Richard Petty, however, feels that Allmendinger can be a successful driver in NASCAR’s premier series.

“A.J. has a ton of potential,” Petty said. “I went testing with him a few weeks ago. When he climbed out of the car, I think he went to everyone working on the car asking them questions and wanting to know what was going on.

“That’s the kind of thing you want out of your driver. He’s a young guy, and I think we can help him and he can help us.”

El Libertador
29th January 2009, 22:07
I don't think anyone really thought he was going to the IRL; it was wishful thinking. He's shown too much in NASCAR to not get some sort of a ride. I hope that some day we see him in an IndyCar, even if it's just for the 500.

EagleEye
30th January 2009, 18:58
I don't think anyone really thought he was going to the IRL; it was wishful thinking. He's shown too much in NASCAR to not get some sort of a ride. I hope that some day we see him in an IndyCar, even if it's just for the 500.

AJM was one of the best and most exciting open wheel guys to hit the scene in recent history. He might just be one of the funniest guys I ever met, and remined many of Eddie Sachs.

He left many in stitches...the good kind. I hope he continues to improve "over there" but I would love to see him come back.

JasonD
30th January 2009, 20:57
AJM was one of the best and most exciting open wheel guys to hit the scene in recent history. He might just be one of the funniest guys I ever met, and remined many of Eddie Sachs.

He left many in stitches...the good kind. I hope he continues to improve "over there" but I would love to see him come back.

Seriously you found him funny? He always came off on TV to me like a putz or a dork, but I never met him so...

EagleEye
30th January 2009, 21:31
Seriously you found him funny? He always came off on TV to me like a putz or a dork, but I never met him so...

He is part putz, two parts dork, with a twist of parnoia and a bit of a spaz to boot. Still the one of the funniest guys I ever met in racing. And he can drive anything.

Mark in Oshawa
31st January 2009, 05:44
I listen to NASCAR radio on Sirius and he was/is a regular on Dave Moody's Speedway program from 3-7. He is a funny guy and talented as hell. He has no thought of coming back to open wheel. The money is in NASCAR right now and what is more, he and his wife Lynne are putting down roots in NC. She is a chiropracter and just got her license to practice and I don't think she is big on picking up and moving any time soon. The NASCAR lifestyle has a lot to offer, espeicially to a young guy who has made a ton of dough already and doesn't really have to work if he invested his money. He can now race where he wants to and he hasn't said once about coming back to open wheeled racing. This is the greatest fallacy that people have to realize on this side of the racing fence. Once they go to NASCAR land and set down roots, they don't come back. They race more, get paid more and the challenge is there. What we have to hope is someone with half a brain gets a hold of Indy Car racing and makes it a place in 5 to 10 years that draws the best and brightest drivers. Right now....it isn't that place.

pits4me
16th February 2009, 21:55
He is part putz, two parts dork, with a twist of parnoia and a bit of a spaz to boot. Still the one of the funniest guys I ever met in racing. And he can drive anything.

He drives Lynne (wife) crazy, that's what's important. He's always been a light-hearted shoe, even in the early days.

Chaparral66
19th February 2009, 20:19
I hope AJA stays in NASCAR. He'd be a real Godsend in the IRL, but I don't think they would appreciate him that much over there, like NASCAR would. He showed real grit and talent coming in 3rd at Daytona, and he's got tons more potential. He can always race open wheel, and maybe he can try sports car racing at some point. As someone said, he can drive anything.

Chaparral66
19th February 2009, 20:20
And he can be a huge help to Petty Enterprises. Kyle has just lost it, unfortunately, and AJA can bring a new energy they haven't seen for years at Petty.

nigelred5
19th February 2009, 23:29
Kyle never really "had" it any more than Jr. has it. IMHO.

A.J. is doing just fine right where he is. IF he has a couple more races like he had at Daytona, I"m sure he'll find a ride for the remainder of the season. I"m sure that 3rd place money will go a long way for RPM as it is.

weeflyonthewall
24th February 2009, 01:01
Lots of talk over the Fontana weekend that Petty has given AJ the OK for USF1 team. Lets see what they say in tomorrows press conference.

bblocker68
24th February 2009, 15:24
That would truly be awesome.

In the mean time, I just like watching AJ finish better than Scott Speed.

nigelred5
24th February 2009, 15:37
I just read that. I hope he is in serious consideration. Young, brash, talented. a proven winner in open wheel cars and someone that I think all American race fans can rally around and support. Hopefully they will bing a true American flavor an access to an F1 team.

nigelred5
24th February 2009, 15:40
That would truly be awesome.

In the mean time, I just like watching AJ finish better than Scott Speed.

SS is just a strange personality. I've never met him, but in his interviews it just seems forced. Maybe he's drinking too much Red Bull, but he just never seems quite "right". I actually think he's a damn good driver, but there's just something "off" about him.

Mark in Oshawa
1st March 2009, 14:35
SS is just a strange personality. I've never met him, but in his interviews it just seems forced. Maybe he's drinking too much Red Bull, but he just never seems quite "right". I actually think he's a damn good driver, but there's just something "off" about him.

I am hoping AJ bury's Speed. I don't think though it will happen. You are right on Speed, he seems to be very coy and always playing a game with the media...