PDA

View Full Version : next team to enter f1 or Bernie you silly old Man

CNR
26th January 2009, 11:19
Bernie tempts teams with 'more freedom' (http://www.motorauthority.com/f1/bernie-tempts-teams-with-more-freedom_7135.html)
http://www.motorauthority.com/f1/bernie-tempts-teams-with-more-freedom_7135.html

Jan.26 (GMM) F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone has proposed to give formula one's richest teams more freedom to spend vast sums of money.

The scheme, at odds with the current trend for massive cost-cutting in the wake of the departure of Honda, would be in exchange for the manufacturers promising a long-term commitment to the sport.

"If the manufacturers are prepared to make a long-term commitment, say seven to 10 years, we should let them spend what they want to spend, providing they supply engines and gearboxes at an affordable price," the 78-year-old billionaire told the Daily Telegraph newspaper

i think it would be harder to get a new team

"But if they did it would prevent the kind of thing we have seen with Honda because we could sue the arse off them if they left. They wouldn't like that."

ArrowsFA1
26th January 2009, 11:28
I think the idea that manufacturers will spend want they want, can afford, or can justify is right. If budget restrictions are imposed on one area by the FIA then the available money would simply be redirected elsewhere. If the manufacturers do not have any available money (Honda) then they will not be in F1.

Budget restrictions, or long term contracts will not change that IMHO.

ioan
26th January 2009, 12:21
Bernie's an idiot.
He thinks that a contract would mean anything when a manufacturer has to chose between bankruptcy or leaving F1!
No tribunal would condemn a move that saves tens of thousands of jobs.

Knock-on
26th January 2009, 12:33
I can see why it's attractive for Bernie to sign up the Manufacturers but what is the big pull coming the other way.

So, Bernie is going to "Let" the teams spend more (even he thinks he makes the rules now) but if they don't, he'll sue the ass off them?

Have I got that right?

If I was Mercedes, or Renault, or Ferrari I think I would think long and hard about this "offer" and then pi$$ myself laughing.

snow_zone
26th January 2009, 16:58
I can see why it's attractive for Bernie to sign up the Manufacturers but what is the big pull coming the other way.

So, Bernie is going to "Let" the teams spend more (even he thinks he makes the rules now) but if they don't, he'll sue the ass off them?

Have I got that right?

If I was Mercedes, or Renault, or Ferrari I think I would think long and hard about this "offer" and then pi$$ myself laughing.

Yes, unless I am very much mistaken, Ecclestone and FOM do not create or manage the sporting and technical regulations. That is the job of the FIA and looking at Ecclestone’s comments recently with regard to the new FIA F2 championship (which may well take some customers from his/Briatore's GP2 series), relationships between the two parties are new low!

trumperZ06
26th January 2009, 20:09
:dozey: Here's a bit more info that might explain Bernie's frenzy !!!

Bernie keeps sending "mixed signals" as to which direction he wants to go !!!

Pit Pass provides an in depth look at the financing behind CVC's aquisition of the Formula One "rights"!!!

Bernie's House of Cards is in danger of falling if another team or two follow Honda. With Williams & now Renault's questionable financing going forward, and Honda still looking for a "buyer", Bernie's scrambling to keep the grid full. or at least 10 teams/20 cars.

Today's article is titled: "Could Ecclestone pull the plug on the teams' money ?

ioan
26th January 2009, 20:13
:dozey: Here's a bit more info that might explain Bernie's frenzy !!!

Pit Pass provides an in depth look at the financing behind CVC's aquisition of the Formula One "rights"!!!

Bernie's House of Cards is in danger of falling if another team or two follow Honda. With Williams & now Renault's questionable financing going forward, and Honda still looking for a "buyer", Bernie's scrambling to keep the grid full. or at least 10 teams/20 cars.

Today's article is titled: "Could Ecclestone pull the plug on the teams' money ?

Well, I would like to see the dwarf go bankrupt with the teams trashing him in the courts for the money he owns them.
But sadly your link doesn't work.

trumperZ06
26th January 2009, 20:19
Well, I would like to see the dwarf go bankrupt with the teams trashing him in the courts for the money he owns them.
But sadly your link doesn't work.

;) Try using your computer... go to "Pitpass.com", then search for the article.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the site to always load properly. May be an "International" thing.

52Paddy
26th January 2009, 21:00
I find his comments sickening. A cheeky approach in my opinion. His "sue the arses off them policy" really goes to show you its a dog-eat-dog game. I'd be considering my short term commitment to the sport with an a$$hole like that above me, never mind long term!

ioan
26th January 2009, 22:48
;) Try using your computer... go to "Pitpass.com", then search for the article.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the site to always load properly. May be an "International" thing.

I read the article and even if it conveys lots of info it's stupidly written.
Essentially they say that CVC agrees with Bernie about paying less or no money to the teams because there is no commercial agreement in place, and all this while knowing that because there is no binding agreement the teams can walk away and leave them with a 2.3 billion debt! Add to that that the teams are better off without pumping money into F1!
Is it me or there is no logic to Bernie's and CVC's stance?
And if the teams were to sign a long term agreement than it would be under the team's conditions.

Knock-on
27th January 2009, 16:07
I find his comments sickening. A cheeky approach in my opinion. His "sue the arses off them policy" really goes to show you its a dog-eat-dog game. I'd be considering my short term commitment to the sport with an a$$hole like that above me, never mind long term!

Quite agree.

Bernie is good at shouting his mouth off but the teams have shown recently that they can unite.

His current approach is more likely to end up in a strike situation from the teams rather than getting their co-operation.

K-Pu
27th January 2009, 18:32

Agree. The problem is that F1 is an enormously big business, a money machine, and this is the way business work. What I´m trying to say is that Bernie is doing what any other businessman would do in his place: try to squeeze the maximum amount of money from everywhere and also paying the minimum.

And now we get to the real problem: when a sport is such a great business (the same happens with football), it starts to behave like a business: treacherous, whimsy and money-addicted, no matter what happens with the sport itself unless it collapses.