PDA

View Full Version : Any similarities between travellers and Palestinians?

Hondo
24th January 2009, 16:45
I read, in one of the English papers last week that a group of what are called "travellers" are at last going to be evicted from the land they are on after a 4-5 year court fight. I'll try to find a link. Anyway, the article indicated that the travellers had in fact, bought the land. They were quite upset about their elderly's healthcare and their children being uprooted from their schools.

Is this similar to the Palestinian situation? Thoughts? Opinions?

Hondo
24th January 2009, 16:53
One link from the Timesonline:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5569832.ece

Daniel
24th January 2009, 17:01
Errrr no. I've never seen a movie with Brad Pitt in it pretending to be a Palestinian with a dodgey accent :) Plus travellers are not to my knowledge subject to war crimes and people in the UK wouldn't deny that it happened if it had happened.

BDunnell
24th January 2009, 17:08
You might as well say that any land dispute is similar to the Palestinian situation. I see no great parallels.

Hondo
24th January 2009, 17:11
A more informative link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/jan/23/greenbelt-gypsies-evicted

24th January 2009, 18:36
Anyway, the article indicated that the travellers had in fact, bought the land. They were quite upset about their elderly's healthcare and their children being uprooted from their schools.

Is this similar to the Palestinian situation? Thoughts? Opinions?

I wasn't aware that the Palestinians had bought the land of Palestine then not got planning permission to use it as a site for their mobile-homes & caravans.

But if that is the case, then it is quite similar.

BDunnell
25th January 2009, 01:56
I wasn't aware that the Palestinians had bought the land of Palestine then not got planning permission to use it as a site for their mobile-homes & caravans.

But if that is the case, then it is quite similar.

:laugh:

Hopefully the boundary dispute will be sorted out via the local magistrate's court.

Hondo
25th January 2009, 02:19
What's the problem with them putting their homes on land they bought?

25th January 2009, 09:35
What's the problem with them putting their homes on land they bought?

Nothing, so long as they've got the correct planning permission.

BDunnell
25th January 2009, 13:02
Nothing, so long as they've got the correct planning permission.

And do not behave anti-socially, of course. Sadly, there are plenty of examples of traveller groups making use of their rights without following their responsibilities to the community — although they are hardly unique in this respect.

Hondo
25th January 2009, 13:43
I have to admit I don't see too much difference between the traveller's settlement and the government funded "housing estates" that have been allowed to be trashed into slums by the occupants. Except for the fact that at the very least the travellers bought their land and homes, whether you approve of them or not.

25th January 2009, 19:59
I have to admit I don't see too much difference between the traveller's settlement and the government funded "housing estates" that have been allowed to be trashed into slums by the occupants. Except for the fact that at the very least the travellers bought their land and homes, whether you approve of them or not.

It's not a case of approving of travellers sites or not, it's a case of them having to abide to the same rules as the rest of us.

And you are quite right about the government funded housing estates. Now, where are the Waffen SS when you really need them?