PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500 race thread

Jonesi
22nd January 2009, 20:49
Jayski has an unofficial entry list posted. Two Top 35 cars are up in the air. #41 EGR has said it will be there, no driver named yet. #22 from Bill Davis is gone but a couple of teams bought his cars. I'm sure one of them is trying to buy his owner points too.
http://www.jayski.com/stats/2009/entries/1dis2009-entry.htm

colinspooky
22nd January 2009, 22:01
ooh, is it soon?

Fred Basset
23rd January 2009, 02:15
must be this weekend by the promptness of the race thread :laugh:

Jonesi
23rd January 2009, 02:46
must be this weekend by the promptness of the race thread :laugh:

Of course not, Nascar doesn't start anymore until AFTER the Superbowl.

Hoss Ghoul
26th January 2009, 15:17
That entry list is longer than I expected. I was thinking 50, maybe 52 entries. We'll see what it is when things are official.

I think after Daytona we'll start seeing low car counts, wouldn't surprise me if we had less than 43 cars at some races this year.

muggle not
27th January 2009, 00:00
That entry list is longer than I expected. I was thinking 50, maybe 52 entries. We'll see what it is when things are official.

I think after Daytona we'll start seeing low car counts, wouldn't surprise me if we had less than 43 cars at some races this year.
The further into the season, the less cars we will see. The impact of the economy still hasn't quite hit bottom. Every day, more and more Companies are laying off people. I am afraid that we will see things get tougher in Nascar sponsorship.

willracefan
5th February 2009, 17:45
that would be great news if thats the case,if nascar doesnt tweak the points you earn for finishing spots.

Jonesi
5th February 2009, 22:58
Entry list at 56 cars now up at Motorsportsone, Jayski still has a tentative one at 57 cars (+Kirk Shelmerdine), and nothing at Nascar.com as usual. At 56 13 cars will DNQ.

"TOP 35"
48 JIMMIE JOHNSON
99 CARL EDWARDS
16 GREG BIFFLE
29 KEVIN HARVICK
07 CASEY MEARS
31 JEFF BURTON
24 JEFF GORDON
11 DENNY HAMLIN
20 JOEY L0GANO
18 KYLE BUSCH
--
17 MATT KENSETH
88 DALE EARNHARDT JR
6 DAVID RAGAN
8 ARIC ALMIROLA
9 KASEY KAHNE
1 MARTIN TRUEX JR
26 JAMIE McMURRAY
12 DAVID STREMME
2 KURT BUSCH
83 BRIAN VICKERS
--
5 MARK MARTIN
43 REED SORENSON
98 PAUL MENARD
19 ELLIOTT SADLER
42 JUAN P MONTOYA
00 DAVID REUTIMANN
34 JOHN ANDRETTI
96 BOBBY LABONTE
55 MICHAEL WALTRIP
39 RYAN NEWMAN
--
77 SAM HORNISH JR
33 CLINT BOWYER
7 ROBBY GORDON
82 SCOTT SPEED
47 MARCOS AMBROSE

GOGH who may get in by Champion Provisional
14 TONY STEWART
66 TERRY LABONTE
21 BILL ELLIOTT

GOGH
44 AJ ALLMENDINGER
78 REGAN SMITH
37 TONY RAINES
08 BORIS SAID
09 BRAD KESELOWSKI
23 MIKE SKINNER
28 TRAVIS KVAPIL
36 SCOTT RIGGS
41 JEREMY MAYFIELD
46 CARL LONG
51 KELLY BIRES
57 NORM BENNING
60 JAMES HYLTON
64 GEOFF BODINE
71 MIKE WALLACE
73 MIKE GARVEY
75 DERRIKE COPE
87 JOE NEMECHEK

colinspooky
6th February 2009, 12:38
sorry, horribly basic question this, but just looking at some of the names in the GOGH list - do these people/teams get some dosh just for showing up to qualify, even if they DON'T make the race itself?

I only ask because isn't Hylton something like 108 now, or is that someone else? Some other 'older' gents in there too. Fun way to make a living if they are paid just to arrive at the track. I know many want to be in the race for real, but still..... you know what I am getting at

DanicaFan
6th February 2009, 12:41
Go Sam Hornish Jr !!!!!

Jonesi
6th February 2009, 21:04
sorry, horribly basic question this, but just looking at some of the names in the GOGH list - do these people/teams get some dosh just for showing up to qualify, even if they DON'T make the race itself?

I only ask because isn't Hylton something like 108 now, or is that someone else? Some other 'older' gents in there too. Fun way to make a living if they are paid just to arrive at the track. I know many want to be in the race for real, but still..... you know what I am getting at

Hylton was born in 1935, so he's ONLY 73.
I think the payout on the qualifing races is about $10-12k, but if they make the race, minimum is over $250k. It's the biggest, richest (unless F1 wants to open its books ;-) race in the world, entry is only about $5k, which gets you in the garage (with a net waiting for that proverbial sponsor to fall out of the sky;-).

colinspooky
7th February 2009, 10:27
well worth a punt then - and if doesn't work out, you've had some fun and can watch the race soaking up the atmosphere.
Mind you, if it was me, I would still be pretty pigged off at not doing well in the race itself.

colinspooky
7th February 2009, 10:29
Go Sam Hornish Jr !!!!!

Go Hornish? Danica fan? Are you in the right forum? :bounce:

Mark in Oshawa
7th February 2009, 12:36
Colin....never knock a convert now....

Of course Danicafan would love it it if Danica showed up at NASCARland but I suspect Danica knows she would have her @ss whupped in anything more than an ARCA car....

DanicaFan
7th February 2009, 22:25
Go Hornish? Danica fan? Are you in the right forum? :bounce:
Im pulling for Hornish this year in NASCAR.

Now if Danica would move to NASCAR, obviously I would follow her. I am loyal to her. And she could give those boys a run for their money. I would never count her out on anything she drives. :)

Alexamateo
7th February 2009, 22:52
Just wanted to note that Bill Elliot was fastest in both practices so far. I think it would be great if he puts the Wood Bros. #21 on the pole!

call_me_andrew
7th February 2009, 23:18
Go Sam Hornish Jr !!!!!

I call that the world's second finest example of wreckless optimism.

The finest example being a Toyota Prius in the passing lane.

harvick#1
8th February 2009, 03:32
Im pulling for Hornish this year in NASCAR.

Now if Danica would move to NASCAR, obviously I would follow her. I am loyal to her. And she could give those boys a run for their money. I would never count her out on anything she drives. :)

please don't she was already crying Nascars schedule was too long

slorydn1
8th February 2009, 04:04

Yes, They do. They get owners points based on where they were in the qualifying order. The 1st car that can't make it in (so by default "finishes 44th) gets 31 points, 45th gets 28 points (etc), all the way down to 1 point (theoreticly there could be several cars that would get 1 point, but there is almost never enough cars trying to enter for that to happen.

It was easier to undedrstand before the top 35 got locked in, the 44th speed may have been from a top 35 car (etc) .

I hope I was able to clear that up for you (I almost confused myself while I was 'splaining it)

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2009, 06:20
Ok..is it just me or is my head going to hurt trying to figure out who is in and out on Thursday? I would love for the 500 to have an easier to follow qualifying procedure. Would THAT be too much to ask for?

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2009, 07:13
This is the WORST race to be a GOGH candidate....

tstran17_88
8th February 2009, 17:52
http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#news60

The hauler of #60-James Hylton was leaving Daytona International Speedway on Saturday as Hylton never got out on the track to practice. The Carter Simo Racing driver won’t attempt to qualify for the Daytona 500 on Sunday because he never was able to get a complete lap in practice, and NASCAR typically requires a driver to complete a lap at a reasonable speed to qualify the car. The team had been working on the car for the 74-year-old driver throughout the weekend but apparently never got it to race specifications. So there will be 56 drivers attempting to qualify for the Daytona 500.

RaceFanStan
8th February 2009, 18:21
Here is what recent Daytona 500 qualifying has shown us ...
the drivers inside the top 35 in owners points concentrate on race set-up ...
& the drivers outside the top 35 in owners points concentrate on qualifying set-up ...
I expect an unexpected driver will get the pole. :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2009, 18:42
That is all true Stan, but with the races Thursday we see the field set. This is the only race on the sched where a top 35 team can make a run at the pole because they have all week to set the car up to race. There is no downside to putting in a qualifying setup on the car since you can put everything back for the race on Thursday. Qualfying runs at Daytona are only really putting two people in the show really. 3 hours to put two guys in.

Jonesi
8th February 2009, 22:46
At this point (baring wrecked cars in the duels) M Truex Jr & M Martin will start on the front row.
B Elliott, T Kvapil, T Stewart & T Labonte will make the race in some fashion (combinations of duel results, qualifing time, or Champ Provisional)
R Smith, J Nemechek & B Said, next most likely to make the race, could get in into race on either duel results or time.)

Jonesi
9th February 2009, 00:05
Starting Grids for dual Duels
Race #1
1 MARTIN TRUEX JR
21 BILL ELLIOTT
48 JIMMIE JOHNSON
8 ARIC ALMIROLA
24 JEFF GORDON
14 TONY STEWART
98 PAUL MENARD
16 GREG BIFFLE
87 JOE NEMECHEK
20 JOEY L0GANO
--
17 MATT KENSETH
26 JAMIE McMURRAY
6 DAVID RAGAN
47 MARCOS AMBROSE
36 SCOTT RIGGS
55 MICHAEL WALTRIP
34 JOHN ANDRETTI
09 BRAD KESELOWSKI
9 KASEY KAHNE
7 ROBBY GORDON
--
07 CASEY MEARS
2 KURT BUSCH
77 SAM HORNISH JR
27 KIRK SHELMERDINE
37 TONY RAINES
66 TERRY LABONTE
23 MIKE SKINNER
46 CARL LONG

Race #2
5 MARK MARTIN
39 RYAN NEWMAN
42 JUAN P MONTOYA
28 TRAVIS KVAPIL
96 BOBBY LABONTE
88 DALE EARNHARDT JR
78 REGAN SMITH
18 KYLE BUSCH
82 SCOTT SPEED
00 DAVID REUTIMANN
--
08 BORIS SAID
33 CLINT BOWYER
11 DENNY HAMLIN
99 CARL EDWARDS
43 REED SORENSON
19 ELLIOTT SADLER
31 JEFF BURTON
83 BRIAN VICKERS
44 AJ ALLMENDINGER
12 DAVID STREMME
--
41 JEREMY MAYFIELD
71 MIKE WALLACE
73 MIKE GARVEY
29 KEVIN HARVICK
75 DERRIKE COPE
51 KELLY BIRES
64 GEOFF BODINE
57 NORM BENNING

willracefan
9th February 2009, 03:29
someone said on harvick's chat room that the duels were now based on points finishing for the previous year.?

Jonesi
9th February 2009, 08:09
someone said on harvick's chat room that the duels were now based on points finishing for the previous year.?

Only as far as which of the two races they are in. If their car finished 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc in owner points last year the car will be in the first duel, and even cars in the second, but are grided in the race based on speed.

MDS
15th February 2009, 00:27
Anyone know what them they've scheduled the green flag for. I know it's listed on TV at 1 p.m. but won't it be closer to 4? I want to know so I can plan my day.

MD24
15th February 2009, 00:35
Green flag should be around 3.30 pm

willracefan
15th February 2009, 06:55
it may be even later. rain alert.

slorydn1
15th February 2009, 07:32
Race broadcast on Fox begins at 2pm. Command to start engines is scheduled for 3:15pm, but like will said, it looks rain will be an issue. I'm personaly looking at a start time of around 7-9pm, but I hope I eat my words and am dead wrong and it starts on time.

colinspooky
15th February 2009, 11:51
7.30pm? Looks like I will have to record it then :rolleyes:

colinspooky
15th February 2009, 11:55
Can I make a gentle request - can you all from now on not give away the results of races in the headline thread title - just for us Brits and Euros should we ever be lucky enough to be able to see Nationwide and Truck races on delays.

I can't order anyone to do this, but it would be really sweet of everyone if they stuck with this request.

:eek:

tstran17_88
16th February 2009, 00:57
Way to go! Hopefully Matt will repeat next year and that little baby they are expecting will be in victory lane with the gorgeous mom and daddy!!!

wbcobrar
16th February 2009, 01:13
Last to first !!!!!!!! My rain dance worked !!!!!!! Go Matt !!!!! California here we come!!!!!

harvick#1
16th February 2009, 01:16
hey T, it was cool to see the roles reversed this year as they were in 07. very very cool. nice to see Matt win the 500

tstran17_88
16th February 2009, 01:32
hey T, it was cool to see the roles reversed this year as they were in 07. very very cool. nice to see Matt win the 500
Yup....KH even said he was glad to return the favor!!!!

harvick#1
16th February 2009, 01:49
pretty cool how it played out that way twice in the biggest and most important nascar race

wbcobrar
16th February 2009, 01:51
Thank you so much for the push #29. Matt had no other friends (other than the #6) left in the race . Nice to see Harvick remembers and repays big favors!!!!! Pensoil will go in the work truck when the oil needs changing!!!!

muggle not
16th February 2009, 01:56
Well, today it was better to be lucky than good.

harvick#1
16th February 2009, 01:59
I think Kenseth was lucky cause another 5 laps, harvick would've taken the lead though, he was on a wild charge with Bowyer in the final laps, I was watchin then slicin and dicin, AJ seemed to be following also

tstran17_88
16th February 2009, 02:13
Well, today it was better to be lucky than good.
Hendrick drivers have been saying this for years!

call_me_andrew
16th February 2009, 02:54
Well it was noon somewhere.

harvick#1
16th February 2009, 02:57
rain stopped at 7, plenty of time to dry the track and finish the race, Helton is a moron and doesn't realize the track has lights, its the 500 for petes sake

muggle not
16th February 2009, 02:58
I think Kenseth was lucky cause another 5 laps, harvick would've taken the lead though, he was on a wild charge with Bowyer in the final laps, I was watchin then slicin and dicin, AJ seemed to be following also
No question, Harvick would have easily taken Kenseth. Harvick knows how to drive the track. It wouldn't have taken 5 laps.

call_me_andrew
16th February 2009, 03:07
Yeah, it stopped at 7 and started again at 9.

EDIT: That's a 1AM restart if it ends at 9:30

tstran17_88
16th February 2009, 03:10
No question, Harvick would have easily taken Kenseth. Harvick knows how to drive the track. It wouldn't have taken 5 laps.Yes, no question...but where were the Hendrick drivers? Bringing up the back of the pack, I guess?

muggle not
16th February 2009, 03:18
Yes, no question...but where the Hendrick drivers? Bringing the back of the pack, I guess?If it had gone the whole distance they would have been in the top pack. Kenseth will not even make the chase this year and Hendrick will have 4 drivers in it.

btw, Kenseth's avg finish for Daytona is 18th. Someone must have been doing a rain dance for him because he couldn't have come close otherwise.

tstran17_88
16th February 2009, 03:30
Kenseth will not even make the chase this year and Hendrick will have 4 drivers in it.OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Name a driver that has made the Chase every year that doesn't have the last name of Johnson?

harvick#1
16th February 2009, 03:36
Hamlin

muggle not
16th February 2009, 03:51
OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Name a driver that has made the Chase every year that doesn't have the last name of Johnson?

What a moronic statement, but I guess I wouldn't expect anything less from a Muggle Nut!
Hey chithead, next time you call me a name I will take your head out of your azz and pound sand up it.

tstran17_88
16th February 2009, 03:58
Hey chithead, next time you call me a name I will take your head out of your azz and pound sand up it.Oooooo, my goodness, your intelligence just smites me!

You're such a dick head!!! LMAO! (Sorry Stan...please edit at will!)

colinspooky
16th February 2009, 13:28
Easy lads. Such language for games forums, and for children.

Anyway, my thoughts? Bugga, it rained. Boo. Good race up unti then.

Well done winning lot - I feel sure the drivers feel cheated by the weather, even Matt, but that's just the way it is.

Anything think a rain shortened race cheapens and lessens the win somehow?

wbcobrar
17th February 2009, 01:54
I don't think the rain "cheapens" this win , all the teams have radars , and they knew it was coming . That is why everyone (particularly Jr.) was driving like it was the last lap . I am thrilled Matt won , I've been watching him since he was 16 and known as " Matt the brat ". Yes I was doing a rain dance when he had the lead , you need friends to win this race and Harvicks kind jesture would eventualy turn to a knife in the back (and thats how its done.) The #6 was coming , but so was the rest of the RCR cars and , eventually the Hentrik armada . I guess I agree that the rain was the best chance for Wisconsins favorite son to win , but not his only chance . His car was one of the strongest left . p. s. I will muggle my hat if Casey friggin' Mears gets in the chase.

slorydn1
17th February 2009, 09:05
Tstran. with all the fighting back and forth, I almost forgot to give you congrats for your driver finally winning the big one, and I was happy that my guy, Happy, was able to return the favor from two years ago. I laugh when I thinhk about how much they hated each other in 2003-2004 (remember Pocono?) but man when they hook up together at the plate races, they really haul ass, don't they?
They started 38th and 39th this year (Officialy Harvick started 32nd, but had to drop to the rear for the back up, and i think the 17 was actually 35th when they waived the green, but still, a great win for Kenseth. Just, don't make it a habit, OK?

wbcobrar
17th February 2009, 10:57
Matt started 43rd , truly last.

JG Fan
17th February 2009, 12:10
well done Matt for such a good drive the win is well earned. i still think you are boring thou but very talented.