PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Time Again!

Hazell B
21st January 2009, 17:38
The Accademy Award nominations are revealed tomorrow (1.30pm UK time) then it's exactly a month to the big day itself.

Who'll be on the short list and who will win?

And don't all say Heath Ledger :p :

F1boat
21st January 2009, 21:02
I hope that Heath wins. I don't care about the rest, as I am rarely interested in the sort of movies, which usually win the Academy Awards.

A.F.F.
21st January 2009, 21:46
Mickey will win. Danny Boyle will win. Probably Kate will win too.

And yes, of course the Academy will honor Heath :dozey:

Roamy
21st January 2009, 21:49
clint eastwood will win most of it for Grand Torino.

the rest is a why bother

Simmi
21st January 2009, 21:56
clint eastwood will win most of it for Grand Torino.

the rest is a why bother

I really enjoyed Gran Torino but I dont think Clint will pick up anything for that.

Slumdog is an amazing film I hope that gets something. Revolutionary Road was possibly the most depressing film I've ever seen but the acting/direction was top notch. Mickey should get his reward for playing Randy The Ram he was brilliant.

An outside shout is Milk with Sean Penn. That is well worth watching when it comes out. Even if he does spend half the movie making out with dudes.

The other two I still need to watch are Frost/Nixon and Benjamin Button.

Roamy
21st January 2009, 23:01
may favorite movie recently has been "Body of Lies"

anthonyvop
22nd January 2009, 01:14
Mickey rourke can kiss any Oscar hopes goodbye after he defended President Bush in an interview after the Golden Globes.

Ranger
22nd January 2009, 05:21
Mickey will win. Danny Boyle will win. Probably Kate will win too.

And yes, of course the Academy will honor Heath :dozey:

Well, they didn't gift an Oscar to James Dean for his two nominations after his death, did they? From the Golden Globe nominee list Heath was by far the best in the supporting actor category.

Mickey rourke can kiss any Oscar hopes goodbye after he defended President Bush in an interview after the Golden Globes.

If the academy was so full of politically motivated left-wing liberals as you are insinuating, then why didn't a universally appraised film about two gay cowboys win an Oscar for best picture in 2006?

Answer: It doesn't matter. They're both baseless suppositions/conspiracies.

F1boat
22nd January 2009, 06:44
Mallen, this conspiracies can give the right-wing extremist that they are battling a holy war against the Enemy ;)
Sorry for the off topic.

A.F.F.
22nd January 2009, 09:00
From the Golden Globe nominee list Heath was by far the best in the supporting actor category.

In your opinion.

F1boat
22nd January 2009, 12:19
That's the trouble with awards in general. They show an opinion, nothing more.

veeten
22nd January 2009, 14:09
Okay, here we go...

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

Read 'em and discuss... :)

F1boat
22nd January 2009, 14:27
As I said, I hope that Heath wins. I hope also that TDK gets as many awards as possible. I don't care about the rest, but even about the awards I do care, it is not terribly important to me. Oscars are about, er, critics. I am just a fan :)

jim mcglinchey
22nd January 2009, 15:00
After seeing Mickey Rourkes uncredited cameo in The Pledge, I always thought he was worthy.

Rani
22nd January 2009, 18:18
I highly recommend 'Waltz with Bashir'. Probably the best film I've seen this year. Great story and stunning animation.
http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=IhjCjrYRhH8

anthonyvop
22nd January 2009, 22:15
Well, they didn't gift an Oscar to James Dean for his two nominations after his death, did they? From the Golden Globe nominee list Heath was by far the best in the supporting actor category.

If the academy was so full of politically motivated left-wing liberals as you are insinuating, then why didn't a universally appraised film about two gay cowboys win an Oscar for best picture in 2006?

Answer: It doesn't matter. They're both baseless suppositions/conspiracies.
Baseless?
Explain Michael Moore's Oscar for best documentary when his movie wasn't a documentary?
Explain movies like Milk and Doubt and Brokeback mountain getting nominations when nobody bothers to see them?

Ranger
23rd January 2009, 01:06
Baseless?
Explain Michael Moore's Oscar for best documentary when his movie wasn't a documentary?
Any social documentary is going to be biased and not as apolitical as a documentary about, say, penguins.
Bowling for Columbine is primarily a good social documentary and secondarily ripping into the right-wing.

Fahrenheit 9/11 avoids that first step and pretty much rips into the right-wing straight off. There's a reason that quite rightly wasn't even nominated for best documentary.

Explain movies like Milk and Doubt and Brokeback mountain getting nominations when nobody bothers to see them?
Because the award is for best picture, not most popular picture. :\

anthonyvop
23rd January 2009, 03:45
Any social documentary is going to be biased and not as apolitical as a documentary about, say, penguins.
Bowling for Columbine is primarily a good social documentary and secondarily ripping into the right-wing.

Fahrenheit 9/11 avoids that first step and pretty much rips into the right-wing straight off. There's a reason that quite rightly wasn't even nominated for best documentary.

Because the award is for best picture, not most popular picture. :\
You realize that many of the scenes in Bowling for Columbine were staged don't you?

Ranger
23rd January 2009, 12:11
You realize that many of the scenes in Bowling for Columbine were staged don't you?

A few scenes were staged. And no I'm not a fan of that.

Nonetheless it isn't being untruthful if you spin the truth. It doesn't disqualify it from being a documentary if it is slightly biased, which any good social documentary is going to be anyway.

Otherwise we'll have to agree to disagree.

A.F.F.
23rd January 2009, 14:10
This is what I think it's going to happen ( it's not what I hope):

Best Motion Picture of the Year: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Mickey Rourke

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Kate Winslet

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Heath Ledger

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Taraji P. Henson

Best Achievement in Directing: Danny Boyle

Rest of them will be a duel between Benjamin Button and The Dark Knight.

And I wouldn't be surprised if WALL-E goes home with three Oscars.

A.F.F.
22nd February 2009, 19:36
Who's gonna stay up and watch it tonight?

markabilly
22nd February 2009, 20:00
This is what I think it's going to happen ( it's not what I hope):

And I wouldn't be surprised if WALL-E goes home with three Oscars.

i would not either since of the movies listed, it is better than the other best pic nominees......

But big deal....it don't take much to beat thaat sorry list...

They ought to have this about ten years after the movie been out, and base it upon total reciepts and DVD sales....that would predict its greatness far more than a bunch of snobbish psuedo intellectuals, engaging in self congratulation and mutual masturbation for the delight of a few. :dozey:

My prediction is that this year's audience will be the smallest yet in the history of the oscars as would benefit the lack of merit in their selections (and Hedge should get it cause he overdosed himself, not because of anything else....well that explains that....)

jim mcglinchey
22nd February 2009, 22:07
[quote=markabilly; i , engaging in self congratulation and mutual masturbation for the delight of a few. :dozey:

that doesnt even begin to describe the Brits

markabilly
22nd February 2009, 23:03
[quote="jim mcglinchey"][quote="markabilly"]

Now you have done it....the Brits will all be tuning in to watch

anthonyvop
24th February 2009, 05:45

Once again I am right.

Roamy
24th February 2009, 06:02
Who's gonna stay up and watch it tonight?

What - The gathering of the Fags - Who could possibly waste the time on this crap!!

harsha
24th February 2009, 06:12
pleased as punch for A.R Rahman finally getting his due

Slumdog is way too hyped up,didn't like the movie,but then again,it never was for an Indian audience...

leopard
24th February 2009, 06:25
Knowing her in the list of nominee somewhat exceeds my expectation. Whether or not she wins a category, I vote for Kate Winslet.

harsha
24th February 2009, 06:26
Kate Winslet has already won....

go read a paper :p :

leopard
24th February 2009, 06:36
I read paper, but it wasn't about she won an oscar. It was about her shoe-size. :)

ShiftingGears
24th February 2009, 07:33
I bet Sean Penn will win the Oscar for best actor.

A.F.F.
24th February 2009, 08:48
What's the time difference to New Zealand again :confused: In this part of the world Oscars were couple of days ago.

Hazell B
24th February 2009, 16:23
What's the time difference to New Zealand again :confused: In this part of the world Oscars were couple of days ago.

Perhaps, but I only saw the dresses from it today, in somebody's newspaper.

Kate Beckinsale looked fabulous :up:

As for the results - happy with them.

ShiftingGears
25th February 2009, 02:23

In this part of the world we use sarcasm.

leopard
25th February 2009, 03:35
It was calculated insult. :D

A.F.F.
25th February 2009, 04:24
In this part of the world we use sarcasm.

Duh...

anthonyvop
25th February 2009, 13:32
I bet Sean Penn will win the Oscar for best actor.
I will go even farther.

In his acceptance speech he will show how he is pro-democracy except when he disagrees with the outcome.

Roamy
25th February 2009, 13:46
yea I'll go one farther

Penn's next movie will be "The Life and Actions of Rock Hudson"