PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Mile's future in doubt

MDS
21st January 2009, 17:23
We haven't talked about this much, but the Milwaukee Fairgrounds is looking for an operator to take over running the Milwaukee Mile in 2010. So far negotations aren't going that well and there is concern that the Fair Commission, which ownes the track, isn't willing write a contract where people could actually make enough money to make the event worthwhile.

Sadly I think there is a real chance racing in Milwaukee will end in 2010.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

At least three separate groups or individuals have expressed interest in taking over racing at the Milwaukee Mile, a Wisconsin State Fair official says.
The best known group is one led by Frank Giuffre and Dominic Giuffre, brothers who ran the Mile under the name GO Racing. Their group is joined by the Decker family of Eagle River, who run snowmobile races and derbies in northern Wisconsin.
But Frank Giuffre has said in recent days that he's not sure his group can make any money under the current agreement with Milwaukee Mile Holdings. That plus the sour state of the economy makes for a bad deal, Frank Giuffre said.
Both sides say they want to continue discussions.
Meanwhile, Craig Barkelar, the fair's chief financial officer, said he had been in communication with another group, as well as a separate individual, about the track. Both of those groups signed confidentiality agreements and have not been identified.
At the moment, Milwaukee Mile Holdings, the current ownership group, is running the track. But that group has exercised its option to get out of the business by December 2010. The group, which negotiated a new leasing agreement in February 2008, had wanted yet another new agreement, but the State Fair Park board said no.
Evan Zeppos, a Milwaukee Mile spokesman, said the group had contracts with Indy Racing League and NASCAR for race events this summer at the historic Mile.
Nevertheless, the uncertainty about the track continues. Asked if there was any chance Milwaukee Mile Holdings and State Fair could renegotiate and come up with a new deal, Barkelar said, "Anything is possible."
"Two years is a long time. Situations may change. But that has not been one of the discussions," Barkelar said.
Sue Crane, chairman of the State Fair Board, said board members understood how important racing is at State Fair.
"They understand the long history and the value of the track," she said. "But these are difficult times and we must be mindful of that."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/autoracing/37943249.html

Pat Wiatrowski
21st January 2009, 17:43
Old News!!

FIAT1
21st January 2009, 19:17
Good. Road America is much better.

EagleEye
21st January 2009, 19:41
Good. Road America is much better.

I love RA, but the MM is a legend, and it would be a shame to lose this venue. Years of tradition, and the racing there remains great.

Dr. Krogshöj
21st January 2009, 20:29
Old news, but terrible news. For me, it is the best track in IndyCar, including every road course and oval.

Spiderman
27th January 2009, 09:14
Old news, but terrible news. For me, it is the best track in IndyCar, including every road course and oval.

Losing the last traditional one-mile-oval would be a shame!

nigelred5
28th January 2009, 00:59
It's older than Indy, and generally a better race IMHO, which likely means it's sure to go.

Mark in Oshawa
30th January 2009, 15:08
Tony George should personally go up there and lay it on the line for these doofuses that want to make all the money off the track. This is what happens when political decisions are being made without concern for what is best for the history and economy of Milwaukee. Either the State Fair board is being greedy and making sure THEY make the profits first, or they are actually trying to drive racing out so they can use that land for something else they deem more fitting. They of course wont come out and say so, that wouldn't be the way of your average politician but from afar that would be my best guess why they are making life so miserable for any promotor trying not to lose money running the IRL and NASCAR events at the oval.

The Milwaukee oval is likely the oldest racing facility in the world for auto racing and has a unique place in the sport. It is a great place to watch oval racing and it is races at this track that really did a lot to educate me why oval racing is special in its own way to the growth of open wheeled racing. To lose the tradition of going to Milwaukee would hurt the fans, the people of Milwaukee, the sport, and its history. The fair board apparently cares little for any of this despite saying to the contrary.

TG should find a way to get the rights to the racing there and make it go. His group has the infrastructure and Milwaukee following Indy is as natural to the sport of Indy Car racing as the flowers in May following the rain of April. It is part of the sport's natural rhythm and these political hacks on the Fair Board must be dealt with on some level. Tony at least has the incentive of protecting a part of the racing history of his sport (he broke it, he bought it) and by going up there and saving the event, he would be able to look all of us in the eye and say he did something to protect and save Indy Car's traditions at some place besides Indy. Needless to say.....I am not holding my breath.

Pat Wiatrowski
30th January 2009, 17:47
Tony George should personally go up there and lay it on the line for these doofuses that want to make all the money off the track. This is what happens when political decisions are being made without concern for what is best for the history and economy of Milwaukee. Either the State Fair board is being greedy and making sure THEY make the profits first, or they are actually trying to drive racing out so they can use that land for something else they deem more fitting. They of course wont come out and say so, that wouldn't be the way of your average politician but from afar that would be my best guess why they are making life so miserable for any promotor trying not to lose money running the IRL and NASCAR events at the oval.

The Milwaukee oval is likely the oldest racing facility in the world for auto racing and has a unique place in the sport. It is a great place to watch oval racing and it is races at this track that really did a lot to educate me why oval racing is special in its own way to the growth of open wheeled racing. To lose the tradition of going to Milwaukee would hurt the fans, the people of Milwaukee, the sport, and its history. The fair board apparently cares little for any of this despite saying to the contrary.

TG should find a way to get the rights to the racing there and make it go. His group has the infrastructure and Milwaukee following Indy is as natural to the sport of Indy Car racing as the flowers in May following the rain of April. It is part of the sport's natural rhythm and these political hacks on the Fair Board must be dealt with on some level. Tony at least has the incentive of protecting a part of the racing history of his sport (he broke it, he bought it) and by going up there and saving the event, he would be able to look all of us in the eye and say he did something to protect and save Indy Car's traditions at some place besides Indy. Needless to say.....I am not holding my breath.

Sorry Mark, but you have no idea of what is involved.

Wilf
31st January 2009, 00:34
Sorry Mark, but you have no idea of what is involved.

So help us understand.

Mark in Oshawa
31st January 2009, 05:40
Pat...let me guess? The politicians want this thing to make money for THEM as opposed to the promotor? They hate racing? Should everyone in racing just have a nap and hope they go away?

Do explain....