PDA

View Full Version : NHL with Doornbos/Bourdais/Rahal?

NickFalzone
21st January 2009, 14:29
Still not signed and delivered, but wow, what a team that would be. From Curt Cavin today:

Question: I read that Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing is close to signing Doornbos and is seeking sponsors to recruit Bourdais. If this were true, and if either case is to carry out, what would be the future of Graham Rahal? Will he go to his father's team? (Marco, Catania, Italy)

Answer: Reports out of Europe have Doornbos all but signed with NHL, and I'm sure the team is working hard to put something together for Bourdais. If the latter happens, it will be a three-car team as Graham is signed for 2009.

slashman
21st January 2009, 14:39
Not going to happen....

SarahFan
21st January 2009, 14:57
seriosly stout.... if it happens

EagleEye
21st January 2009, 16:28
Not going to happen....

RD continues and his peope keep indicating he is in at NHL. He is not, at least in this point and time.

The team would love to have SB back in the fold, and are exploring how they can ($$) make that heppen. You may see SB run sportscars in Europe.

IF the team was able to get the funding to run three cars, you would see one car run out of another shop...RHL for example.

Chamoo
21st January 2009, 16:43
RD continues and his peope keep indicating he is in at NHL. He is not, at least in this point and time.

The team would love to have SB back in the fold, and are exploring how they can ($$) make that heppen. You may see SB run sportscars in Europe.

IF the team was able to get the funding to run three cars, you would see one car run out of another shop...RHL for example.

Why would you say that? NHL has run 3 cars before, I'm not sure if they were in the same shop, but, I am sure they would run 3 NHL cars.

They aren't going to hunt for sponsorship for RLR.

MDS
21st January 2009, 16:50

Weren't you the same guy who swore multiple times that NHL was leaving Champ Car for the IRL in 2008 and already had sponsorship lined up for Justin and Graham and equipment purchased and sitting in their shop?

Phoenixent
21st January 2009, 17:44
Why would you say that? NHL has run 3 cars before,

What year was this? From their first Indycar race to now I ony remember a max of two cars.

Pat Wiatrowski
21st January 2009, 17:45
Why would you say that? NHL has run 3 cars before, I'm not sure if they were in the same shop, but, I am sure they would run 3 NHL cars.

They aren't going to hunt for sponsorship for RLR.

Sorry but NHL has never run 3 cars!

Jimmy Magnusson
21st January 2009, 19:09
I can believe the Doornbos story. He (apparently) brings money to create a car which currently has none (Wilson's from last year). But if they couldn't find sponsorship some time ago, why now? I'm sure they'd love to run a third car if the money was there. Oh, such a small detail.

FIAT1
21st January 2009, 19:19
Not going to happen....

Agree!

EagleEye
21st January 2009, 19:35
Weren't you the same guy who swore multiple times that NHL was leaving Champ Car for the IRL in 2008 and already had sponsorship lined up for Justin and Graham and equipment purchased and sitting in their shop?

I was also the one who:

First wrote about Champcar not making it in 08.
First to wirte about Phonix race not happening.
First to wirte about Las Vegas not happening.
and, the first to report real news based on facts, not fiction.

BTW, NHL raced int the IRL last season...

EagleEye
21st January 2009, 19:38

From the start as a one car team, and later a two car team I do not recall them ever running three cars for the entire year.

When they ran both Champcar and the Indy 500 a few years back, the Indy 500 effort was based in Indianapolis, in an the old PacWest touring car shop on gasoline alley.

MDS
21st January 2009, 20:45
I was also the one who:

First wrote about Champcar not making it in 08.
First to wirte about Phonix race not happening.
First to wirte about Las Vegas not happening.
and, the first to report real news based on facts, not fiction.

BTW, NHL raced int the IRL last season...

Even if that's accurate, it doesn't change the fact that you know about as much the inner workings of NHL as the rest of us do.

Typically speaking adding a third car costs about 25 to 50 percent less than adding a second car. The savings come from maximizing your workforce because all the resources are under one roof. If they were to set up a satelite operation it would be more costly than running Sebass' team out of their main shop.

EagleEye
21st January 2009, 21:03
Even if that's accurate, it doesn't change the fact that you know about as much the inner workings of NHL as the rest of us do.

Typically speaking adding a third car costs about 25 to 50 percent less than adding a second car. The savings come from maximizing your workforce because all the resources are under one roof. If they were to set up a satelite operation it would be more costly than running Sebass' team out of their main shop.

Funny, I've never met you at any of the races. I did not see you at Mike Lanigan's party during the Chicagoland race weekend either. Maybe you were busy bowling, drinking, or hanging outside on the patio. Sorry I missed you! You want some great Paul Newman stories? I can tell you some good ones, but it a seems you were in place to be part of the same inner workings as I.

I have been part of the motorsports industry for over twenty years, and I talk to quite a few people before reporting anyhthing.

They do not have room at the shop for a third car, and they would have to use a fourth hauler. They currently use three, but then I'm sure you knew that. Engineering takes up one, and they are full as well.

They have limited space, and that is why they rented the shop for their IRL effort. That and the fact the shop was so close to the speedway.

MDS
21st January 2009, 22:08
First of all its interesting how you claim not to have seen someone you only know by a couple of initials on a bulliton board.

I'm sure you "Checked with multiple sources," but I wonder if these were the same sources that steered you wrong on NHL's intentions last year. Here's what you wrote last fall.

They have two new sponsors for their IRL effort, and are loosing one (Medizone) from CCWS. Mr. Newman, has decided against putting his own money into keeping the team in CCWS, and has relented to Mr. Haas's wish to return to Indy to compete against Team Penske, AGR and Ganassi in the IRL. Despite what their personal preferences are, it comes down to money.

They have purchased four/five Dallara's. They have signed JW in SB's seat. They are NOT signing Marco, as he is staying at AGR. They are looking to sell their DP01’s.

So what happened to the five Dallara's you said they had purchased and the two sponsors they had signed for their IRL effort? I think it would be interesting to hear how they had two sponsors lined up, turned them down, after buying five Dallara's only to turn around and sell them, only to end up with two they got from from the league.

Also, if their shop can hold four Panzos and five Dallara's wouldn't that mean they'd have enough space to run a third car out of their existing facilities?

Andrewmcm
22nd January 2009, 09:52
EagleEye is probably the most reliable person for information that I've ever seen on these forums in the past 6 or 7 years. I'm more than happy to believe what he is telling us.

MDS it's worth remembering that plans do sometimes change at the last minute, particularly in the fickle world of motor racing. People build up a reputation of producing reliable news (even if one or two predictions do go awry) over the years and EagleEye, in my view, certainly has done that.

Chamoo
22nd January 2009, 16:06

Sorry, your right, I got my rumors crossed with fact.

A few years ago, there were strong rumors they would run a Canadian kid (forget his last name) in a third car in '04 I believe. I think he was bringing the sponsorship himself, but it never materialized.

EagleEye
23rd January 2009, 16:11
Correct on JW replacing SB.
Correct on Marco not going to NHL.
Correct on the purchase of IRL Chassis.
Correct on having two sponsors for the IRL.

This may come as a bit of a surprise, but things change. Everything presented then was factual. The two sponsors became one AFTER they sent a purchase order over. Once the secdon sponsorship failed to come through, they canceled the order.

EagleEye
23rd January 2009, 16:18
Also, if their shop can hold four Panzos and five Dallara's wouldn't that mean they'd have enough space to run a third car out of their existing facilities?

The team use to have around six-seven cars back the day, for two drivers. They would generally have two primaries, two back ups, and two test cars. The test cars would be rolled out and worked on while the race team and four cars were on the road. They would be loaded or moved around when the race team was in town.

In order to run three entries, they would need additional space, even with just three cars, as each would require a bay, and a set up pad. This in addition to a fourth hauler. They could utilize space now used for their parts business, but the long and short of it is IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Now, having said that two other drivers knock on their door with enough funding ($$) then anything can happen. But as of today...no.

Same for SB. The team was trying to pull out all the stops to bring him back if he did not get an F1 ride. He appears close to that, so things are quite in flux at this time.

EagleEye
23rd January 2009, 16:20
Sorry, your right, I got my rumors crossed with fact.

A few years ago, there were strong rumors they would run a Canadian kid (forget his last name) in a third car in '04 I believe. I think he was bringing the sponsorship himself, but it never materialized.

That was probably Valiante, who's family always promised big bucks, but never delivered.

Similar situation with Robert. He and his people are claiming the ride is his...and it may be, but so far the money has not materialized.

I would really like to see Justin back in the car.

SarahFan
23rd January 2009, 17:16
I would really like to see Justin back in the car.

his 2008 performance warrants it!!!!

MDS
23rd January 2009, 20:06
This may come as a bit of a surprise, but things change. Everything presented then was factual. The two sponsors became one AFTER they sent a purchase order over. Once the secdon sponsorship failed to come through, they canceled the order.

So basically NHL is the poster child for irony and not a single media source picked up on this massive wheel of misfortune they were on, and yet you got all the details, every single turn of the story.... okay.

If you have those kinds of connections you should totally run a blog and become the Jayski of open wheel. Of course its been my experience with that people with that level of inside knowledge rarely post on message boards, friendships and business relations usually suffer as a result.

EagleEye
23rd January 2009, 21:23
If you have those kinds of connections you should totally run a blog and become the Jayski of open wheel.

Or maybe get paid to report.......do the math, ask around.

MDS
23rd January 2009, 23:37
If a reporter were sharing off the record information on an internet forum that would be rather unethical, so that can't be the case.

peasant
24th January 2009, 01:06
If a reporter were sharing off the record information on an internet forum that would be rather unethical, so that can't be the case.

Stop posting and start thinking man. Rolleyes