donKey jote
20th January 2009, 21:47
Err, no.

Anyone shooting blanks ? :p :

(uncle fousto doesn't count ;) )

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Easy Drifter
20th January 2009, 22:02
Eki and Steve shoot blanks most of the time.

Hondo
20th January 2009, 22:04
Most of the fast draw competitions use blanks. They fast draw single-action revolvers similar to the old Colt Peacemakers and fire at a target balloon a few feet away. The object of the game is to draw, fire, and break the target in the shortest period of time. At that range the powder particles are enough to break the balloon, with no need for a larger projectile.

donKey jote
20th January 2009, 22:04
Eki and Steve shoot blanks most of the time.
maybe they're simply aiming at the wrong target :p

Jag_Warrior
20th January 2009, 22:22
No, can't say I'm familiar with the .204 Ruger. But a friend of mine sold his .44 Mag so he could buy a .480 Ruger Super Redhawk. I've never shot it but he seems to like it.

For varmints I'm still hanging with the .22-250 in a 700 BDL.

Tomi
20th January 2009, 22:26
The object of the game is to draw, fire, and break the target in the shortest period of time.

Is this before, or after you rape the cow?

Jag_Warrior
20th January 2009, 22:32
Good grief, how many times do we have to say it?! We rape sheep, not cows!

Hondo
20th January 2009, 22:34
I never had a dedicated varmint rifle. I have a CZ 550 in .243 Winchester. About every other year a buddy that runs around 120 head of cattle will get some help at his place when the coyotes start playing hell with his calfs. I have a BSA 12x mil-dot on it and it does a good job. I just have a hard time not laughing at that rabbit predator call he uses.

Hondo
20th January 2009, 22:46
Baffled by Ballistics?

Here's a new app for your iPod.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/apple/4297205/Sniper-rifle-software-launched-for-iPod-touch.html

If you reload and use Sierra it might be handy if it's not raining.

Jag_Warrior
20th January 2009, 23:01
For all around shooting (target, varmints, deer, groundhogs, etc.), I usually just grab the cheapest gun I own: a .270 Savage 110. Good rifle with a solid Leupold scope that's never let me down.

I've had it for so long and shot it so much, I don't have to refamiliarize myself with it. I don't have the time to shoot or hunt that much anymore, so I don't pick up the funny stuff that tends to make my shoulder and back hurt for several days.

Hondo
20th January 2009, 23:21
I know the feeling. The main two that will start going back into the field are a Ruger in .257 Roberts and a Winchester 70 in .25-06, both with Leupolds.

Savage accuracy has always been tough to beat out of the box and their fairly new Accutrigger (adjustable) made them better. They now make a couple of dedicated long range rifles for guys that are shooting .308s at 800 yards. The long range shooting is becoming very popular.

I have a Savage .17 HMR in a factory thumbhole stock that I can bust Oreos with at 120 yards. Oreos are great targets, plus the birds and critters will clean up the mess for you.

Rani
20th January 2009, 23:23
While I got to shoot rifles and machine guns, It never really held any appeal to me as a hobby. Just the thought of having a gun stolen from my house and used to kill someone else used to make me worry when I had one.

Hondo
20th January 2009, 23:26
While I got to shoot rifles and machine guns, It never really held any appeal to me as a hobby. Just the thought of having a gun stolen from my house and used to kill someone else used to make me worry when I had one.

Well I've got good news for you. If it doesn't have any appeal to you, we're not going to insist you get one. Fair enough?

Rani
20th January 2009, 23:30
Well I've got good news for you. If it doesn't have any appeal to you, we're not going to insist you get one. Fair enough?
Why don't you just shoot me? :D
Just stating my opinion.
BTW are you hunting the Oreos to keep the population down or for food?

Hondo
20th January 2009, 23:35
Sensing that you're not from around here, Oreos are cookies. Two thin outer cookies with a white sugar based icing on the inside. To my knowledge they don't reproduce and it's not necessary to shoot them to eat them. You can eat them right out of the package.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreo

Rani
20th January 2009, 23:40
Sensing that you're not from around here, Oreos are cookies. Two thin outer cookies with a white sugar based icing on the inside. To my knowledge they don't reproduce and it's not necessary to shoot them to eat them. You can eat them right out of the package.
I know what Oreos are. Believe it or not I've even eaten a few! (shock)
I've even engaged in that game where two people seperate the cookie with each one trying to go for the icing! (gasp)

It was a joke.
Tough crowd, I guess...

What about Twinkies, do you hunt those as well?

gloomyDAY
21st January 2009, 06:04
I've been thinking of picking up a Mauser. Love that rifle!
That or a Mini-30, but it's quite expensive. SKS would do just fine.

Growing up in Mexico and hunting game always left a nice impression when it came to rifles.
Never think I'll own a handgun, though.

anthonyvop
21st January 2009, 13:09
Except for my AR-15 and a FAL I have sold all of my rifles. I now only hunt with a Handgun or Hunt Quail with a Shotgun.

Roamy
21st January 2009, 15:59
Well this is now really on my radar. I need one of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhstuvzMiB0

Then I am thinking of selling my colt python and replacing it with a 10mm with a 10 shot capacity. A 10mm actually tears up more sh!t on its way through plus an extra 4 rounds before you have to reload is good also.

anthonyvop
21st January 2009, 17:28
Well this is now really on my radar. I need one of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhstuvzMiB0

Then I am thinking of selling my colt python and replacing it with a 10mm with a 10 shot capacity. A 10mm actually tears up more sh!t on its way through plus an extra 4 rounds before you have to reload is good also.
I am a 1911A1 guy. .45ACP

The Python is a beautiful piece of design but not a very good carry weapon. I hate the cylinder release.

I hunt mainly with a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for .45LC and I use some hot loads provided by a friend. I have a super blackhawk but I find it has too much muzzle flash for my tastes when in the scrub.

Roamy
21st January 2009, 17:43

The Python is a beautiful piece of design but not a very good carry weapon. I hate the cylinder release.

I hunt mainly with a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for .45LC and I use some hot loads provided by a friend. I have a super blackhawk but I find it has too much muzzle flash for my tastes when in the scrub.

It was quite interesting - I did a little survey one time and the question was posed as follows:

If you had no other choice but a handgun and knew you would meet up with a mad grizzly - which handgun would you choose? This was in relation to fly fishing on a river.

The interesting answers where actually between a 44 mag and a 10mm glock. 50 cal was not practical to carry. The claim about the 45 was that it couldn't pierce good enough. the 44 was done after 6 rounds. The glock configured at 11 rounds offers a very formidable penetration while saving one round for yourself in case all fails - true story !!

Powered by Cosworth
21st January 2009, 18:06
BSA Cadet :p :

Hazell B
21st January 2009, 18:24
Good grief, how many times do we have to say it?! We rape sheep, not cows!

Lightweight :p :

Seriously, I had no idea we had so many knowledgeable gun-toting loonatics in this place. I'm not allowed anything more deadly than sponge cake ..... :(

Easy Drifter
21st January 2009, 19:04
Alright has anyone fired a light machine gun that walked away from you?
It can (could) be used as a sub machine gun but was very heavy for that use.
Interesting.
If nobody has or knows and you want an answer I will tell you. But I need some interest to give an answer. Say Fri. sometime.
I have used them.

jim mcglinchey
21st January 2009, 19:30

Seriously, I had no idea we had so many knowledgeable gun-toting loonatics in this place. I'm not allowed anything more deadly than sponge cake ..... :(

I'd no idea we had so many shi+ kicking, red-neck, Okie- from- Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA, types. Just kiddin', Im just jealous because all I have is a lousy BSA Superten. If I lived in America Id probably have quad 50s in an anti aircraft mount.

Hondo
21st January 2009, 19:35
It was quite interesting - I did a little survey one time and the question was posed as follows:

If you had no other choice but a handgun and knew you would meet up with a mad grizzly - which handgun would you choose? This was in relation to fly fishing on a river.

The interesting answers where actually between a 44 mag and a 10mm glock. 50 cal was not practical to carry. The claim about the 45 was that it couldn't pierce good enough. the 44 was done after 6 rounds. The glock configured at 11 rounds offers a very formidable penetration while saving one round for yourself in case all fails - true story !!

Your best bet is a .22 pistol. That way you can shoot the guy you're fishing with in the leg and run off, for help of course, while he deals with the bear.

steve_spackman
21st January 2009, 19:36
I'd no idea we had so many shi+ kicking, red-neck, Okie- from- Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA, types. Just kiddin', Im just jealous because all I have is a lousy BSA Superten. If I lived in America Id probably have quad 50s in an anti aircraft mount.

i did hear about some guy in the states having a anti tank gun in his back garden....strange fella

Hondo
21st January 2009, 19:41

I no longer have my FN FAL, or come to think of it, any black guns, But I've been through them. I agree with you on the 1911A1 in theory and in practice. Oddly enough I have a couple of Ruger Vaqueros in .45LC and a couple of lever action rifles, 1866 Uberti and a Marlin in .45LC from the SASS days.

Jag_Warrior
21st January 2009, 19:51

I'm tempted to say that I'd go with with my .45 WinMag on an AMT frame. AMT's have a reputation for spotty quality (Always Making Trouble), but I've loved mine since the day I got it - never a feeding or cycling problem. I made my shot of a lifetime when I took down a 250+ pound wild bore at 40 yards or so with one shot. As best I can recall, I used 230 or 260 grain jacketed hollow points on that hunt.

With a grizzly, mad or not, that would be a time of extreme stress for lil ol' me (needless to say :eek: ). I'd be more concerned with having a pistol that I was extremely accurate and proficient with, more so than being concerned with the knockdown punch or penetration characteristics of the round. I've never had or shot a 10mm Glock 20 but I believe it's on the same basic frame as the .45 Glock 21 - which I have shot and is similar enough to the .40 Glock 22 that I had... I'd be more than comfortable with it.

So with all that said, even though my .45 Win Mag has never had a FUBAR moment, I'd probably go with the Glock 20. Plus it sports a 15 round mag. Snap a +2 on it and you have 17 rounds! My AMT is only 6+1. I don't see that I'd need more than 4 rounds on Yogi inside 20 yards with the .45 mag, but why take a chance?

Jag_Warrior
21st January 2009, 20:00

Yep, and most of us who seem to be the biggest gun nuts aren't even NASCAR fans! Blowin' stereotypes out of the water left & right on here. :D

With my previous company, there were probably 5-7 of us who would get together at least twice a month and target shoot. 3 or 4 of us became pretty good hunting partners. But I don't see those guys anymore. And I don't think it would be such a good idea for me to be around any of the people I work with now if I had a firearm. :laugh: So, I don't get out much anymore.

Hondo
21st January 2009, 20:00
Anybody notice the nice ads we're getting on this thread?

Jag_Warrior
21st January 2009, 20:05
Your best bet is a .22 pistol. That way you can shoot the guy you're fishing with in the leg and run off, for help of course, while he deals with the bear.

Ya know, I feel bad about being mean to Spackman yesterday. To make up, I say I take the lil feller fishing... in Alaska... near a stream with lots of salmon... after I rub him down with honey.

I just want to show that I have a kind, tender, warm and forgiving heart. :devil:

MrJan
21st January 2009, 21:00

The one at the bottom of my page was for 'play seats' and 'Tamara Ecclestone bare' :S

MrJan
21st January 2009, 21:02
I'm not allowed anything more deadly than sponge cake ..... :(

If it's anything like my Mum's sponge cake then it makes AA guns look like toys :D :p :

Roamy
21st January 2009, 21:42
I'm tempted to say that I'd go with with my .45 WinMag on an AMT frame. AMT's have a reputation for spotty quality (Always Making Trouble), but I've loved mine since the day I got it - never a feeding or cycling problem. I made my shot of a lifetime when I took down a 250+ pound wild bore at 40 yards or so with one shot. As best I can recall, I used 230 or 260 grain jacketed hollow points on that hunt.

With a grizzly, mad or not, that would be a time of extreme stress for lil ol' me (needless to say :eek: ). I'd be more concerned with having a pistol that I was extremely accurate and proficient with, more so than being concerned with the knockdown punch or penetration characteristics of the round. I've never had or shot a 10mm Glock 20 but I believe it's on the same basic frame as the .45 Glock 21 - which I have shot and is similar enough to the .40 Glock 22 that I had... I'd be more than comfortable with it.

So with all that said, even though my .45 Win Mag has never had a FUBAR moment, I'd probably go with the Glock 20. Plus it sports a 15 round mag. Snap a +2 on it and you have 17 rounds! My AMT is only 6+1. I don't see that I'd need more than 4 rounds on Yogi inside 20 yards with the .45 mag, but why take a chance?

I think I will opt for the glock 29c - little smaller easier to carry 10 round plus 1 and vented!!

Roamy
21st January 2009, 21:44
Ya know, I feel bad about being mean to Spackman yesterday. To make up, I say I take the lil feller fishing... in Alaska... near a stream with lots of salmon... after I rub him down with honey.

I just want to show that I have a kind, tender, warm and forgiving heart. :devil:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Easy Drifter
21st January 2009, 22:02
I don't care how many rounds, within reason, the handgun has if you come up against a charging Grizzly. If you haven't stopped him with 3 or 4 shots you had better get out the ol' Bowie knife because he will be knawing on you by then! :D

Hondo
21st January 2009, 22:14

4 shotguns, 5 rimfire rifles, 7 centerfire rifles, 2 rimfire pistols, 6 centerfire pistols, 10 assorted traditional percussion muzzleloaders including a set of dueling pistols.

I've really thinned out the collection in the last couple of years.

Easy Drifter
21st January 2009, 22:37
Are the dueling pistols for the next time you see Steve? :angel:

Hondo
21st January 2009, 23:05
Are the dueling pistols for the next time you see Steve? :angel:

Nah, steve is nothing to me. By and large I just ignore him now.

MrJan
21st January 2009, 23:33
including a set of dueling pistols.

In the UK I have to make do with a set of dueling gloves and a pointy stick (purely ceremonial of course)

anthonyvop
22nd January 2009, 01:04
They are scared of us.

Jag_Warrior
22nd January 2009, 18:27
Cool ads. I'm not sure if I want new grips for my Super Blackhawk or some +2 mag extensions for the Glock.

I had no idea that Shopping.com even had such things. So I can meet a nice Jewish girl on the JewishSingles site, buy her some clothes at DivaVillage and then order us a (kosher?) pizza from PizzaHut.com. On our date, we can go shooting with my newly outfitted Ruger .44 mag.

Wow, talk about one stop shopping!

Jag_Warrior
24th January 2009, 00:58
Said to be an ad that showed up on Craigslist.

To the Guy Who Mugged Me Downtown (Downtown, Savannah )

Reply to: pers-982078099@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2009-01-06, 3:43AM EST

I was the white guy with the black Burrberry jacket that you demanded I hand over shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I hope you somehow come across this message. I'd like to apologize.

I didn't expect you to crap your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket. Truth is, I was wearing the jacket for a reason that evening, and it wasn't that cold outside. You see, my girlfriend had just bought me that Kimber 1911 .45 ACP pistol for Christmas, and we had just picked up a shoulder holster for it that evening. Beautiful pistol, eh? It's a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head, isn't it?

I know it probably wasn't a great deal of fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with that brown sludge flopping about in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse since you also ended up leaving your shoes, cellphone, and wallet with me. I couldn't have you calling up any of your buddies to come help you try to mug us again. I took the liberty of calling your mother, or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, and explaining to her your situation. I also bought myself some gas on your card. I gave your shoes to one of the homeless guys over by Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all of the cash in your wallet, then I threw the wallet itself in a dumpster.

I called a bunch of phone sex numbers from your cell. They'll be on your bill in case you'd like to know which ones. Alltel recently shut down the line, and I've only had the phone for a little over a day now, so I don't know what's going on with that. I hope they haven't permanently cut off your service. I was about to make some threatening phone calls to the DA's office with it. Oh well.

So, about your pants. I know that I was a little rough on you when you did this whole attempted mugging thing, so I'd like to make it up to you. I'm sure you've already washed your pants, so I'd like to help you out. I'd like to reimburse you for the detergent you used on the pants. What brand did you use, and was it liquid or powder? I'd also like to apologize for not killing you and instead making you walk back home humiliated. I'm hoping that you'll reconsider your choice of path in life. Next time you might not be so lucky. If you read this message, email me and we'll do lunch and laundry. Peace!
- Alex

Hondo
24th January 2009, 07:04
The governor of New York has appointed a female, gun friendly congresswoman to replace Hillary Clinton in the Senate. Wonder if Reid will start his howling again and refuse to seat her?