PDA

View Full Version : Elderly people

A.F.F.
19th January 2009, 17:22
I usually have the highest amount of respect towards the edlerly people. I leave my seat in a bus or in a line and open the door for them whenever it's possible. The only exception is traffic, pedestrians to be more specific.

I don't know if this an international, or even national phenomenon but unfortunately here in capital area of Finland, old people walking the streets... man, they invent their own rules for traffic. They are jaywalking, cross the streets wherever they want and they do it with an attitude. I thought traffic rules are for everybody, despite the age? Apparently not.

steve_spackman
19th January 2009, 18:15
I usually have the highest amount of respect towards the edlerly people. I leave my seat in a bus or in a line and open the door for them whenever it's possible. The only exception is traffic, pedestrians to be more specific.

I don't know if this an international, or even national phenomenon but unfortunately here in capital area of Finland, old people walking the streets... man, they invent their own rules for traffic. They are jaywalking, cross the streets wherever they want and they do it with an attitude. I thought traffic rules are for everybody, despite the age? Apparently not.

we will all become them in time...and yes its a world wide effect ha

Drew
19th January 2009, 20:26
Yes but they're old and will probably get away with it. I have the same plan :D

BDunnell
19th January 2009, 20:28
For all some members of the older generation go on about young people lacking 'respect' and what have you, some of the rudest, most boorish people I have ever encountered have been pensioners. Of course, there are many lovely ones, naturally.

Dave B
20th January 2009, 08:50
It is of course a sweeping generalisation but I do tend to find that every time I get elbowed out of the way in a shop it's because of some old dear; and the guy who nearly sideswiped me on a mini-roundabout yesterday wasn't a young tearaway in a hot hatch but a living skeleton who had presumably given up any notion of indicating, braking, or looking out for other traffic.

What are peoples' thoughts on compusory re-tests (or at least an eyesight and reaction test) after a certain age?

A.F.F.
20th January 2009, 09:05
What are peoples' thoughts on compusory re-tests (or at least an eyesight and reaction test) after a certain age?

Highly recommenned.

Every year we get to read from a newspaper that some old gentlemen had driven the highway in a wrong way. If you can't see the exit sign, it's really easy.

A.F.F.
20th January 2009, 09:06
For all some members of the older generation go on about young people lacking 'respect' and what have you, some of the rudest, most boorish people I have ever encountered have been pensioners. Of course, there are many lovely ones, naturally.

:up:

Quite true.

leopard
20th January 2009, 09:20
How do we define older people? being adult of 18 or older have enough responsibility to take all risk from whatever they have done. They walk past disobeying traffic light, for instance, were not the good example.
However I will give them out of the same respect, obviously... :)

Daniel
20th January 2009, 10:18
It is of course a sweeping generalisation but I do tend to find that every time I get elbowed out of the way in a shop it's because of some old dear; and the guy who nearly sideswiped me on a mini-roundabout yesterday wasn't a young tearaway in a hot hatch but a living skeleton who had presumably given up any notion of indicating, braking, or looking out for other traffic.

Sounds like the male version of one of our next door neighbours. She looks like a skeleton with a little bit of flesh stretched over her. She's rude, nosey and just generally unpleasant.

Dave B
20th January 2009, 10:25
She looks like a skeleton with a little bit of flesh stretched over her. She's rude, nosey and just generally unpleasant.
I always forget: is that Trinny or Susannah?

Daniel
20th January 2009, 10:30
I always forget: is that Trinny or Susannah?

I should try and take a picture of this bag of bones. She looks seriously evil and makes trinny's face look pudgey :mark:

Daniel
20th January 2009, 10:40
Here's kinda what she looks like :mark:

http://www.fab1.net/t-hawks/zelda-1.jpg
Zelda from Terrahawks.

donKey jote
20th January 2009, 21:44
Yep, that looks like your typical cake-gargling neighbourhood-watch British granny :p :

Easy Drifter
20th January 2009, 21:59
Mommy? Is that you Mommy. You are looking better.

BDunnell
21st January 2009, 09:06

I'm all for it, but not just with driving. As you say, a shop manners and spatial awareness test would be a good idea too.

leopard
21st January 2009, 09:46
Here's kinda what she looks like :mark:

http://www.fab1.net/t-hawks/zelda-1.jpg
Zelda from Terrahawks.

aarrghh ..... I am not afraid