PDA

View Full Version : Nascar to add 4 more cars to Bud Shootout

jslone
17th January 2009, 00:12
Nascar has said it well add 4 more entries to the field.If I am right it already has the top 6 finishers from each make plus the 4 wild card teams.Tried to get the page from scene daily but had trouble with the link,Its on there as well as Nascar.com.

RaceFanStan
17th January 2009, 23:08
2009 Budweiser Shootout Line-up :

CHEVROLET
Jimmie Johnson #48
Kevin Harvick #29
Casey Mears #07
Jeff Burton #31
Jeff Gordon #24
Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88
Tony Stewart #14

DODGE
Kasey Kahne #9
David Stremme #12
Kurt Busch #2
Reed Sorenson #43
Elliott Sadler #19
TBA #10 (A. J. Allmendinger rumored)
Sam Hornish Jr. #77

FORD
Carl Edwards #99
Greg Biffle #16
Matt Kenseth #17
David Ragan #6
Jamie McMurray #26
Travis Kvapil #28
Bobby Labonte #96

TOYOTA
Denny Hamlin #11
Joey Logano #20
Kyle Busch #18
Brian Vickers #83
David Reutimann #00
Michael Waltrip #55
Robby Gordon #7

With 28 cars racing, it should be a good event ...
also I think that there are a couple of drivers who could create a caution or 2 ... :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
18th January 2009, 01:45
Too many drivers. Tell me why Robby Gordon is going to race a "Dodge" until the second the race ends and then he will be back in a Toyota. Apparently this was the scenario being floated on Dave Moody's Sirius Speedway on Thursday. I just think there are too many people in this race who haven't really earned that privledge.

28 cars in...the top 35 is just 7 more and one could argue about 3 or 4 of these guys may be outside of that top 35.

If the Bud Shootout is to be an allstar type event, why not have a tight field of 20?

carracing
21st January 2009, 16:39
I have to agree with Mark - and I think many others - on this. Too many cars, no longer an all-star type event that drivers work so hard to get into. I get why they did the Wild Card scenario - with so many drivers changing teams/manufacturers (Tony for one), they wanted to make sure they had a chance to be there. But, IMO, that doesn't mean they SHOULD have. Sure it's nice to include Tony but he made a lot of changes this year and in interviews has stated that he understands it's a "building year," meaning he knows he doesn't have carry-over "rights" for events like this...

I think this is another case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. IMO there's a lot that is "broke" that NASCAR should be focusing on this year - especially for the sake of the fan. This is courting the manufacturers and trying to get more bodies watching to see their favorite drivers pure and simple.

djhany
22nd January 2009, 22:41
yep, good opinion Mark of course, 20-car-field feels more like all-star ... there were b´shootouts with (i think) 12 cars only - way back in the past

i think also that the 70lapper isnt the best solution (even though this format is in use for many years, more or less) and again look in the past, 10lap shootout is more about the shootout itself than then 5Olapper, fifty laps at daytona u know it sounds to me like a regular race of (any) lower divison series

djarumdudley
23rd January 2009, 03:38
This is way to many starters for an 'all-star' event. this might as well be a qualifier for the 500. let the winner gain a guaranteed bert into the 500 then there might be significance to the race. wait a sec, for that to work the top 35 rule would need to be dropped.

the pole winner entry was an excellent basis as it meant something throughout the season and importance of being in this event.

under the current format & with such a large field here's my suggestions:

move the race to the first week of january. it would relieve the mid-winter raceless doldrums & inject needed excitement into this stale event. all the while providing testing oppurtunities under the veil of competition.