PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from Vancouver?

A.F.F.
9th January 2009, 14:08
My friend is taking part to 2009 World Police & Fire Games in Vancouver next summer. What he wants to know if there's a good hiking and climbing possibilities? Those locations should be nearby because time is a factor to him. The guy is interested in hunting and nature itself so any activities related to that would also be highly good. Please, recommend something :)

Mark in Oshawa
9th January 2009, 18:36
AFF.. I have visited Vancouver a few times. I do believe in North Vancouver there is some hiking areas and up on Grouse Mountain there is some trails at the top of the tram. The Capilano suspension bridge is part of a large park area I also believe and I think he can do a little hiking in there. If he drives to Squamish, which is about an hour or less up the road from North Vancouver heading towards Whister he will find a big 3000' high cliff overlooking the town. The locals call it the "Chief" and it is climbed all the time by rockclimbers.....

There is lots more I am sure but that is what I know just off the top of my head.

Firstgear
9th January 2009, 18:38
Well, I'm not from Vancouver, but I can list a few things to get you started.

No. 1 on my list would be Wistler/Blackcomb. It's at least a day trip (2-3 hrs by bus to get there) but it's (IMO) the best ski resort on the continent. I've never been in summer, but there is lots to do then as well. From hiking & biking to golf. Lots of good resteraunts & nightlife as well.

If you're really into climbing, halfway to Whistler on the sea-to-sky highway is the town of Squamish. Famous for its Bald (or American) Eagles and a 1000ft. vertical granite wall for climbers. (don't quote my on the 1000ft. as I'm going by memory, it may only be 300 or 500)

Even closer to Vancouver (pretty much visible from the city) are Grouse Mtn. & Cypress Bowl ski areas. I've never been to either - but I assume they'd be a nice place to go hiking & biking in the summer.

Closer still, at the north edge of Vancouver is Capilano Park. Take the pedestrian suspension bridge over the gorge into the park for a quiet walk amongst some nice big old-growth forest.

Firstgear
9th January 2009, 18:40
Geeze Mark - you read my mind, and you're faster on the keyboard than I am.

Mark in Oshawa
9th January 2009, 21:31
lol...sitting at home waiting for the phone to wring and I type about 90w.p.m.....

One more option for our friend. If he just feels like exploring the city a little, get a mountain bike and ride into Stanley Park and ride the along the seawall or trails into the woods. 1000 acres right downtown...

Andrewmcm
9th January 2009, 22:11
Yeah Stanley Park is lovely. I stayed in a hotel on the shore of the Coal Harbour and loved it there. Although I did find the 9 o'clock gun a bit perturbing the first night I was there...!

I didn't get up to Grouse Mountain, but it looks pretty good from where I was.

A.F.F.
9th January 2009, 22:38
Cheers guys, appreciated :up:

I'll forward that info right to him.
If more options pops into your heads, don't hesitate to write it down.

( And no, I'm not going to take the credit 'cause he asked me to ask this forum for help :) )

Easy Drifter
9th January 2009, 22:52
Again I am not from Vancouver but have spent time there.
Stanley Park has many trails plus the walk along the seawall and an Aquarium.
Grouse Mtn. in North Vancouver has trails and a gondola ride to the top. It is a ski area in the winter. We once had a snowball fight at the top in mid June!
I know we have members from Van. They just have to see this thread.

Mark in Oshawa
9th January 2009, 22:56
lol...sitting at home waiting for the phone to wring ..

Man..I cannot proof read everything but that is a lame typo....

AFF...your friend will love Vancouver. Not many people go there and not come back blown away by the setting. If he wants to enjoy a more urban experience, tell him that with places like Gastown and the area in around False Creek, he will find food from all over the world and many cultures on display. Vancouver is a great city but hitting it the summer before the Olympics arrive he will notice one heck of a buzz around town....

A.F.F.
9th January 2009, 23:17
That's going to be good rehearsal for the city because he said that World Police & Fire Games are one of the biggest events right after the olympics :eek:

He participated last time in Australia.

But, back in school, when I read US comics to learn some english, he was chasing p**sy and skipped the classes. Look how it has turned out. He can't speak english.

I feel like a winner :dozey:

:p :

Easy Drifter
10th January 2009, 04:33
Well in Vancouver he could probably get along if he spoke Cantonese or Mandarin. :D
The Winter Olympics are in 2010 so he will be there before them.
Gastown is certainly worthwhile but can be a little rough at night.
Seafood is great but I would expect your's is too.
Next to Toronto, Vancouver is probably our most cosmopolitan city.