PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Phillippe?

Birdman5700
7th January 2009, 16:36
In the Indy Star IRL Q&A someone asked Curt Cavin about where Tomas Scheckter will be next year and if he would buy Roth's equiptment and start his own team

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/

His responce was...

Word on the street is that Nelson Phillippe will purchase Roth's equipment, but that hasn't been confirmed.

I don't know anything about Nelson, but is he loaded? and how much would he need to spend to buy Roth's equiptment/start a team and wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a ride in a good ride like KV, NHL, or RLR?

ykiki
7th January 2009, 17:53
I would welcome Nelson Philippe into IndyCars - hopefully this deal comes to fruition. Like many, I was apprehensive when he first entered CART/CCWS as an inexperienced teenager with the usual results (quick, but impatience leading to DNFs). However once the lightbulb of maturation turned on, in his 3rd season he became a steady competitor with a win. Heck, he's only 22.

Then there's his younger brother Richard, the 2006 Formula BMW Champion.

Both are young, but they'd definitely be an upgrade to the field over Roth.

SarahFan
7th January 2009, 18:26
I would welcome Nelson Philippe into IndyCars - hopefully this deal comes to fruition. Like many, I was apprehensive when he first entered CART/CCWS as an inexperienced teenager with the usual results (quick, but impatience leading to DNFs). However once the lightbulb of maturation turned on, in his 3rd season he became a steady competitor with a win. Heck, he's only 22.

Then there's his younger brother Richard, the 2006 Formula BMW Champion.

Both are young, but they'd definitely be an upgrade to the field over Roth.

^nice post

i agree 100%.... and 110% with the last line

garyshell
7th January 2009, 20:13
Maybe they will both drive as a two car team. Anyone else remember the Rodriguez brothers?

Gary

EagleEye
7th January 2009, 20:40
When wee Nelson hit the scene, I could not stand his arrogance, his ride buying ways and his cocky/Hollywood persona. Then, he dorve a tremendous race in Milwaukee (one tough oval) and finished 3rd behind Wilson and Bourdais. I gave him a big thumbs up then and atta boy at the Milwaukee airport that day, and he went on to win before the season ended.

I give him a lot of credit for not buying a ride, as I believe he has earned one based on merit. While there are not many rides available, it would be great to see him in a good car this coming season, and I would expect him to do quite well.

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 23:45
If no team will hire this guy....then it is their loss. Buying Roth's stuff and trying to race isn't really much of an option....

millencolin
8th January 2009, 00:24
Anyone that wins at surfers has my respect, so i think nelson would be a valuable asset for the series, especially over roth

Birdman5700
8th January 2009, 00:41
I don't see why Roth doesn't just become an owner like Ganassi did and Nelson could be the driver/part owner. So Marty wouldn't have to put all his money into the team.

Mark in Oshawa
8th January 2009, 03:07
Roth should be an owner but in today's economic climate, he may not have the dough to do it right.

Easy Drifter
8th January 2009, 04:41
Marty Roth got so pi--ed off at the way IRL was treating him he put everything up for sale. There was talk he was going Grand Am but it doesn't look like it now.
His money is in Real Estate, mostly in Toronto and that is not so good now.
Gary : Yes. Pedro and Ricardo. Ricardo was a little faster but Pedro was smarter and better. I saw them both. Pedro more often as he lived a lot longer.

Chamoo
8th January 2009, 06:24
Just to clarify, Richard is committed to Formula 3 Euro Series with Carlin for 2009.

As for Roth's equipment not being up-to-snuff, I would expect Marty to have all the updates for the chassis available on the cars already. Maybe the Philippes are only interested in the shop equipment and such and will purchase new main cars and use the Roth cars as backups? I don't know but a Roth car is better then no car.

Dr. Krogshöj
8th January 2009, 09:23
Marty Roth got so pi--ed off at the way IRL was treating him he put everything up for sale. There was talk he was going Grand Am but it doesn't look like it now.
His money is in Real Estate, mostly in Toronto and that is not so good now.
Gary : Yes. Pedro and Ricardo. Ricardo was a little faster but Pedro was smarter and better. I saw them both. Pedro more often as he lived a lot longer.

I don't think Marty should be in the series but he is right about how the IRL treated him. It was extremely unprofessional that they randomly told a driver "please don't runt cause you *****." Revoke his licence or leave him alone. Alternatively, create a rule similar to F1's old 107% rule. If you can't qualify inside the 107% of the pole position time, you can't run.

Chamoo
8th January 2009, 13:15
I don't think Marty should be in the series but he is right about how the IRL treated him. It was extremely unprofessional that they randomly told a driver "please don't runt cause you *****." Revoke his licence or leave him alone. Alternatively, create a rule similar to F1's old 107% rule. If you can't qualify inside the 107% of the pole position time, you can't run.

His problem wasn't qualifying, it was racing. He regularily qualified quite highly, then he would drop to the bottome five in the first 2 or 3 laps.

seppefan
8th January 2009, 13:15
Remember the early Porsche 917's with Pedro and Jo " Seppe " Siffert. Child hood memories like the BOAC 500 at Brands Hatch. Fantastic. And the BRM F1 team with the two of them. Pedro was the faster but after his fatal accident Seppe sped up as well. Anyway...

Nelson is a popular character with good reason. He is a nice guy with a sense of humour and does not carry an inflated opinion of himself. He is a winner but perhaps not the fastest out there. Look at his GP2 races at the end of last year. The Roth equipment is first class with a number of Lights teams casting an eye over it. It would be a good move for them and I for one would welcome Nelson as a major positive asset to the Series. He was probably the most loyal ChampCar driver as well so having him on board is the final nail in the coffin for anybody still harbouring unsavoury thoughts.

Lets hope it happens.

dataman1
8th January 2009, 19:14
He is also martetable to the younger crowd. He has looks, an accent, kind of shy, longer styled hair, etc.. He might be the male answer to Danica if ICS wants that type of image.

huxleypiguk
11th January 2009, 10:14
Nelson has been driving in Superleaguge (as has Doornbos) and the GP2 Aisa series.

I had a feeling he was involved in Le Mans as well.

It would be good to see him back in top level racing.

Dr. Krogshöj
11th January 2009, 10:18
Nelson has been driving in Superleaguge (as has Doornbos) and the GP2 Aisa series.

I had a feeling he was involved in Le Mans as well.

It would be good to see him back in top level racing.

His website says that Nelson and Shaun Juniper became friends and plan to race together at Le Mans. Juniper Group sponsored Nelson at Surfers Paradise and Mexico City in 2007.