PDA

View Full Version : Polar Bear 150

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
5th January 2009, 14:17
Anyone make it to this event?. From the pictures ive seen it looks like a really cool event. Looks like NASCAR from the early 80's.

call_me_andrew
6th January 2009, 04:44
NASCAR was never dumb enough to put 100 cars on the track at the same time and call it a race. The only reason it looks like NASCAR from the early 80's is because the only cars allowed to compete are from the early 80's.

Even the series rule book isn't that well thought out.

These are all the engine rules:
20. Engines must be all cast iron (block, heads, intake, & exhaust manifolds) No
angle plug heads allowed. No headers. 363 to 410 cubic inch, must add 100 lbs. No engines
larger than 410. Flat top pistons only, 2 valve relief’s ok. Rocker arms must be stock
configuration stamped steel. Stud mounted roller rocker arms will be allowed, 50lb penalty. 450
max. lift hydraulic cam may compete at no penalty. Any cam other than that must add 50 lbs.
No roller cams. Wet sumps only. An accusump or oil accumulator may be used. Exhaust must
be 2 pipes (max 2 ½ diameter) that must exit in front of the right rear tire. Pipes may not
be connected in anyway. An HEI style distributor must be used. Coil and module must
remain in distributor. A special RPM limiting module must be used. Availability and
manufacture will be announced soon.
21. Water only, no antifreeze
22. Engine in stock location or most forward spark plug, no further back than the center line of
the upper ball joints.
23. No electric fuel pumps.
24. One out of the box stock 4412 Holley two barrel only. Choke horn must remain,
choke mechanism may be removed. One carburetor spacer maximum thickness
with gaskets of 1 ¼". Carburetor must be unaltered.

I see no rules against forced induction and nitrous oxide injection.

Mark in Oshawa
6th January 2009, 05:56
The heck with the rules...who won? Half of the NASCAR garage had this race as a backyard project in their spare time. Jimmy Elledge said quite a few bevvies were consumed with the boys putting his car together.

tstran17_88
6th January 2009, 18:26
NASCAR was never dumb enough to put 100 cars on the track at the same time and call it a race.I bet in the early days of Nascar if 100 cars would have shown up...there would have been 100 cars racing. Some of the fields at Darlington and the Daytona beach course back in the early 50's had anywhere from 60 to 80 cars in them.

RaceFanStan
7th January 2009, 03:48
I have to agree with T, if 100 cars would have showed-up, NASCAR would have let them race. :D

For the record, the largest NASCAR "Cup" fields were :
Darlington - 75 cars started the 1950 "Cup" race (Southern 500) won by Johnny Mantz
1 year later, 82 cars started the 1951 "Cup" race (Southern 500) won by Herb Thomas

Daytona - 59 cars started the 1950 "Cup" race (Daytona 500) won by Lee Petty
10 years later, 68 cars started the 1960 "Cup" race (Daytona 500) won by Junior Johnson

Charlotte - 60 cars started the 1960 "Cup" race (World 600) won by Joe Lee Johnson

Talladega - 60 cars started the 1973 "Cup" race (Winston 500) won by David Pearson