PDA

View Full Version : Kimi is warned--in danger of LOSING job @ Ferrari

markabilly
3rd January 2009, 14:40
Just saw some recent headlines from msn.com (fox)

For a second, I thought Ferrari, Luca or some such person of authority had laid the law down to sleepie Kimi :o that playtime was over, produce or else.... :eek:

"Buck up" "Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen has been warned to improve his form if he wants to hold on to his F1 seat. Full Story ... (http://msn.foxsports.com/motor/story/9011402/Irvine-warns-Kimi-to-improve) "

then you click on it, and there is none other than the authoritative "EI" putting the notice on kimi, yeah that out to scare him real good, like for almost at least a nano second.... :rolleyes:

3rd January 2009, 14:42
Eddie does have a point though.

markabilly
3rd January 2009, 14:53
Eddie does have a point though.

Without doubt, but then you made the same point quite some time ago, but until ferrari makes it........

F1boat
4th January 2009, 11:33
If they compare Kimi to Irvine, Kimi is quite safe...

Tazio
4th January 2009, 12:53
Kimi's rump in on the roaster :p :

4th January 2009, 18:51
If they compare Kimi to Irvine, Kimi is quite safe...

No he isn't, and there is no comparison.

Eddie was a Number 2 to the team leader and was paid accordingly, whereas Kimi is on the same retainer as was the most succesful driver in Ferrari's history.

Eddie performed exactly the role he was paid for, which cannot be said of Kimi in 08.

ykiki
4th January 2009, 18:56
No he isn't, and there is no comparison.

Eddie was a Number 2 to the team leader and was paid accordingly, whereas Kimi is on the same retainer as was the most succesful driver in Ferrari's history.

Eddie performed exactly the role he was paid for, which cannot be said of Kimi in 08.

So....we should praise Eddie because he was paid to lose and he filled his job requirements? :p

4th January 2009, 19:07
So....we should praise Eddie because he was paid to lose and he filled his job requirements? :p

Just like Ronnie Peterson did two decades earlier, just like Gilles Villeneuve did in 1979.

Would you slag them off too?

Jag_Warrior
4th January 2009, 19:27
Eddie Irvine, Master of the Obvious...

CNR
5th January 2009, 07:17
some body will have to make way for Alonso or will Ferrari be one of the teams that run 3 cars the way it is going. (a way for dwarf to make more money by selling teams the 3rd licence)

Azumanga Davo
5th January 2009, 09:17
Eddie Irvine, Master of the Obvious...

I was going to say it was Jag_Warrior :p :

harsha
5th January 2009, 09:31
i hope Kimi goes back to Mclaren[ :p ]

ioan
5th January 2009, 17:07
i hope Kimi goes back to Mclaren[ :p ]

As far as I'm concerned it wouldn't be a big loss.

ykiki
5th January 2009, 17:41
Just like Ronnie Peterson did two decades earlier, just like Gilles Villeneuve did in 1979.

Would you slag them off too?

Hey, you left a pretty good opening for a joke there and I couldn't help myself.

As for Peterson, GV, and Irvine...

I'm not sure I'd lump them together. Sure, they spent time in their respective careers as clear #2 guys. However, given equal situations I believe Ronnie and Gilles would have what it takes to challenge Andretti and Sheckter. Same can't be said about Eddie (even taking into account that few could match Schumacher anyway). Then at Jaguar where Eddie was the #1 driver (albeit not a reliable machine), he didn't exactly blow away Herbert and De La Rosa.

5th January 2009, 19:40
Same can't be said about Eddie (even taking into account that few could match Schumacher anyway). Then at Jaguar where Eddie was the #1 driver (albeit not a reliable machine), he didn't exactly blow away Herbert and De La Rosa.

Fair point....but Jaguar scored two podiums in its entire lifespan and Eddie was the driver on both occasions. None of his team-mates got near to that.

For me, Eddie was/is under-rated

jens
6th January 2009, 20:14
First let's wait until the start of 2009 season before deciding, who could be in danger. It's quite funny to see, how fickle are reputations. In early 08 there were talks like Massa won't last even until the end of the season with Ferrari! Now whenever there are talks that someone will be sacked at Ferrari, it's for some reason always Kimi, who is expected to lose his seat. If the contract of both drivers (FM & KR) end by the end of 2010, then I would have thought Massa's contract would be cheaper to be bought out. Or what?

52Paddy
6th January 2009, 20:41
If the contract of both drivers (FM & KR) end by the end of 2010, then I would have thought Massa's contract would be cheaper to be bought out. Or what?

But Massa could, if things continue as per 2008, bring Ferrari better results, leading to more money etc

Massa's benefits outweigh his #2 status, so it would be better to get rid of Kimi based on that. But based on that alone. I am definitely not suggesting Ferrari do that, I would rather wait and see how both drivers perform in 2009 too. Just giving you a possible answer as to why Ferrari would prefer Massa over Kimi. Also, maybe unrelated, but Massa is linked to Schumacher.

SGWilko
7th January 2009, 11:13
Perhaps this is just a ploy to help re-negotiate a lower salary with Kimi.....

woody2goody
7th January 2009, 16:10

I think to be honest drivers (at least for McLaren and Ferrari, and maybe Alonso/Button) should take pay cuts given the current economic climate.

For Kimi to be earning 20 million dollars at this time is disgusting. I'd lessen my disgust if they paid Massa that much instead, at least Felipe tried in 2008.

I can understand people like Fisi and Vettel etc not taking a pay cut because they probably don't get much to begin with.

Come to think of it I think Button will have to take a forced pay cut because of the Honda situation.

Anyway back on topic. Kimi doesn't deserve his salary as it is now. It should be halved. Let him count his blessings that he's got that much money. If he has a poor 2009 they should replace him with Alonso for 2010 without hesitation.

Even the Kimi of '07 could almost justify his salary. The only Kimi that is really worth his pay packet is the '05 vintage. I know it sounds like I am bashing Kimi, and the drivers should be paid accordingly for their efforts, but all drivers are paid too much.

However, F1 is not the main problem. Football is.

Garry Walker
8th January 2009, 14:00

Yep.
Because Irvine said something, now Kimi will just go to Ferrari and say, sure, take 10 millions off my salary, actually, irv said it, so I will be racing for free.

I think to be honest drivers (at least for McLaren and Ferrari, and maybe Alonso/Button) should take pay cuts given the current economic climate.

For Kimi to be earning 20 million dollars at this time is disgusting. I'd lessen my disgust if they paid Massa that much instead, at least Felipe tried in 2008.

I can understand people like Fisi and Vettel etc not taking a pay cut because they probably don't get much to begin with.

Come to think of it I think Button will have to take a forced pay cut because of the Honda situation.

Anyway back on topic. Kimi doesn't deserve his salary as it is now. It should be halved. Let him count his blessings that he's got that much money. If he has a poor 2009 they should replace him with Alonso for 2010 without hesitation.

Even the Kimi of '07 could almost justify his salary. The only Kimi that is really worth his pay packet is the '05 vintage. I know it sounds like I am bashing Kimi, and the drivers should be paid accordingly for their efforts, but all drivers are paid too much.

However, F1 is not the main problem. Football is.

I sense a lot of jealousy.

A.F.F.
8th January 2009, 15:56
Eddie.... it takes one to know one. :mark:

speeddurango
10th January 2009, 00:13
Title is massively misleading by the way.

markabilly
10th January 2009, 16:51
Title is massively misleading by the way.

Weell, you think?? Actually that was the way it was was titled at several news sources, and what made me read it, thinking Ferrari was the one doing the warning, but it was not the lion that raored, but a little mouse...