PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Ramsey and Kitchen Nightmare's.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd January 2009, 18:43
Whether you guys are getting the UK version of the show or the somewhat overproduced FOX version over here in North America, are any of you as addicted to watching this train wreck as I am?

I love watching successful businessmen try to impart their knowledge while complete screw ups try to tell him how wrong he is. Sometimes the restaurant owners get the message and figure out they cannot keep doing things the way they were (obviously or they wouldn't have needed Ramsey in the first place) or they fight to the end...and you know how things are likely to turn out.

A great little time waster and with all the episodes back to back on Food Network Canada this last week I just overdosed on it. Ramsey may swear like a Truck driver but man is the guy clever.....

steve_spackman
2nd January 2009, 21:17
Whether you guys are getting the UK version of the show or the somewhat overproduced FOX version over here in North America, are any of you as addicted to watching this train wreck as I am?

I love watching successful businessmen try to impart their knowledge while complete screw ups try to tell him how wrong he is. Sometimes the restaurant owners get the message and figure out they cannot keep doing things the way they were (obviously or they wouldn't have needed Ramsey in the first place) or they fight to the end...and you know how things are likely to turn out.

A great little time waster and with all the episodes back to back on Food Network Canada this last week I just overdosed on it. Ramsey may swear like a Truck driver but man is the guy clever.....

do you get the UK version?

Easy Drifter
2nd January 2009, 21:43
Truck drivers swear? Why Mark you surpise me. Yeah right! :D
I have been watching mostly Discovery Channel or Court TV when not arguing with the anti west types.
Speed has been c-rap.
Also watched the Juniors in Ottawa.
Go Canada GO! :s mokin:

Tomi
3rd January 2009, 10:33
The first year when he was working in different places in uk was ok, the new ones is just repeating, and quite crap.

ShiftingGears
3rd January 2009, 13:34
We had an oversaturation of Gordon Ramsey shows earlier this year, with about 3 shows running on a weekly basis. I got pretty sick of it fairly quickly.

Fred Basset
3rd January 2009, 15:17
We have GR and his nightmares on BBC America and he's doing a US version now which is hysterical. :laugh:

As a PSA "the 1st 48" on A&E about the 1st 48hours hunting for murder suspects and the interviews with them etc is addictive

Mark in Oshawa
3rd January 2009, 17:31
I get the UK version and the American version on Food Network here in Canada, plus FOX airs the American version as well. I am probably overdosing on Ramsay while I am home but when I am on the road, I am TV deprived.

steve_spackman
3rd January 2009, 19:41
I get the UK version and the American version on Food Network here in Canada, plus FOX airs the American version as well. I am probably overdosing on Ramsay while I am home but when I am on the road, I am TV deprived.

Which do you prefer..the brit or US version...

steve_spackman
3rd January 2009, 19:43
We have GR and his nightmares on BBC America and he's doing a US version now which is hysterical. :laugh:

As a PSA "the 1st 48" on A&E about the 1st 48hours hunting for murder suspects and the interviews with them etc is addictive

i enjoy the first 48..the only show i watch on A&E.

steve_spackman
3rd January 2009, 19:44

you a expat?

veeten
3rd January 2009, 23:06
no, 'Kitchen Nightmares' is when he's on holiday...

It's 'Hell's Kitchen' when Ramsey's at his most BRUTAL. :eek: :uhoh:

A.F.F.
4th January 2009, 06:29
no, 'Kitchen Nightmares' is when he's on holiday...

I couldn't agree more. Hell's Kitchen rules. :up:

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2009, 03:07
The British version is the best. The Yanks bleep out all the good swearing and the British show goes back a few weeks later and you get some sort of idea of how clueless the people are later on....

schmenke
6th January 2009, 22:31
Like Tomi said, the first couple of seasons of KN was entertaining, but the formula is now getting to be a bit tiresome.

HK is worth watching though :D

Brown, Jon Brow
6th January 2009, 22:38
The only reason I watch Gordon Ramsey now is for the 'Gordon Ramsey drinking game'.

You have to take a sip of your chosen alcoholic beverage if he swears or slaps his palm with the back of his hand.

Top-tip- line up your drinks first

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 04:18
Schmenke....I could not watch a full episode of HK really. It is too artificial, and as big a hard @ss as Ramsey is, it is obvious from his other shows that isn't really his true personality. I think he is over the top on HK because they are paying to be the jerk almost and it isn't really him at all.

harsha
7th January 2009, 05:39
i've seen only HK

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 06:18
Harsha....find a way to watch his Kitchen Nightmares series, either the US version with their cheesy narration and over done drama or the real gritting British version. Ramsey is a foul mouthed genius who gets everyone onside who has half a brain in turning around some pretty dreadful restaurants. Most of them turn the corner and if they don't, it is because they don't listen to what he has taught them. He does the same thing to most of them but his main lesson is to keep things simple and do a few good dishes really well, and find something unique that isnt' being offered nearby.

Mark
7th January 2009, 08:14
Harsha....find a way to watch his Kitchen Nightmares series, either the US version with their cheesy narration and over done drama or the real gritting British version

If you have a choice, choose the British version. Unfortuantely while Ramsay is as good as ever on the American version it is way over produced and formulaic, so much as to make it almost unwatchable. So much that once you've seen a couple of episodes you know exactly what is coming next, oh now is when they redecorate the place.. Also in the USA version they seem to pay a makeover of the resaurant, which I think is cheating somewhat, in the UK version, Ramsay offers his advice for free, other than that the owners have to get on with it, no payments from the TV company.

I find that the production does get in the way of American programmes like that, Supernanny is another I can think of where the UK version is more watchable, but that may just be because I'm British and so am used to our way of doing things.

. Ramsey is a foul mouthed genius who gets everyone onside who has half a brain in turning around some pretty dreadful restaurants. Most of them turn the corner and if they don't, it is because they don't listen to what he has taught them. He does the same thing to most of them but his main lesson is to keep things simple and do a few good dishes really well, and find something unique that isnt' being offered nearby.

Yep, most of it is common sense. Some of the kitchens he encounters are truely disgusting. The thing that surprises me the most is that these crappy little resuarants have one of the best chefs in the world giving them advice, and most of the time they choose to argue with him about it. I for one would be doing everything he says!

Mark
7th January 2009, 08:20

Is he doing Hell's Kitchen in the USA now? He's stopped doing the UK version. That's not to my taste really, too much of a 'Big Brother' type thing, with arguments just for the sake of it.

If you want a cooking competition programme then Masterchef is quite good, although they could do with updating the forumla, it's the same every single episode.

Ramsay has just finished a run of his 'cookalong' series in the UK, where you supposedly cook a dish at the same time as they do in the studio, unfortunately it's done at hypersonic chef speed, so it's impossible to keep up unless you make use of the pause buttons!

BDunnell
7th January 2009, 13:19
I find him an exceptionally boorish man who makes up for a lack of personality by swearing in a manner that devalues the undoubted power of swearing, because it is so incessant and unnecessary.

Fred Basset
7th January 2009, 13:28
Is he doing Hell's Kitchen in the USA now? He's stopped doing the UK version. That's not to my taste really, too much of a 'Big Brother' type thing, with arguments just for the sake of it.

He's been here 2 years doing it in LA

Fred Basset
7th January 2009, 13:29
lack of personality :laugh:

Mark
7th January 2009, 13:36
He's been here 2 years doing it in LA

More money in America; no doubt. That'll also be the reason why Supernanny seems to be a USA only show now.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th January 2009, 13:43
Why did supernanny become Mary Poppins for the US show? That sort of thing really annoys me. It's just not aSSeptable

BDunnell
7th January 2009, 13:44
:laugh:

Is he especially articulate or amusing? No. As far as I can tell, he just swears a lot, which does not constitute much of a personality. If he didn't talk with a relatively neutral accident, people would think that Ramsay was just extremely vulgar.

Mark
7th January 2009, 13:57
Is he especially articulate or amusing? No. As far as I can tell, he just swears a lot, which does not constitute much of a personality. If he didn't talk with a relatively neutral accident, people would think that Ramsay was just extremely vulgar.

If he spoke in an accent typcial for his place of birth nobody would be able to understand a word he says :p

BDunnell
7th January 2009, 14:00
If he spoke in an accent typcial for his place of birth nobody would be able to understand a word he says :p

True! :laugh:

schmenke
7th January 2009, 14:31
I find him an exceptionally boorish man who makes up for a lack of personality by swearing in a manner that devalues the undoubted power of swearing, because it is so incessant and unnecessary.

...but provides television ratings

:mark:

savage86
7th January 2009, 15:30
The only reason I watch Gordon Ramsey now is for the 'Gordon Ramsey drinking game'.

You have to take a sip of your chosen alcoholic beverage if he swears or slaps his palm with the back of his hand.

Top-tip- line up your drinks first

lol! i've got to try this

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 19:53
I have to say that Ramsey's use of the F-bomb is a bit much but what I have also noticed is my mother in law who is usually offended by that word is actually very amused and entertained by him.

Women love the guy's passion and his charisma. IF you get beyond the language on KN you realize his language is down the tubes in the heat of battle in the kitchen and he will back and get in the trenches with the poor schmucks and defend them as much as he browbeats them.

He is like a drill instructor at a boot camp in the military. His language is designed to shock because that is his passion coming out and he is very much not going to be ignored by his target.

Another observation. When he has been interviewed whether on his appearence on "top Gear" or on North American TV, he doesn't swear and is actually very charming. The language he almost exclusively seems to be using is used in the Kitchen or around the restaurant when there is a conflict. As someone who grew up with a few restaurant jobs, it is the nature of the beast and it is REAL. I think if you object to his language for the sake of it that is fine, but understand he isnt' unique in that in the restaurant business, just that he is real enough to ignore the camera or at least say what he thinks whether the camera is there or not. Not all reality TV is that "real".....

BDunnell
7th January 2009, 21:25
Another observation. When he has been interviewed whether on his appearence on "top Gear" or on North American TV, he doesn't swear and is actually very charming.

Well, when he presented Have I Got News for You he seemed unable to stop himself from swearing and was pretty witless, but maybe this wasn't a fair reflection.

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 21:28
I didn't see it but I will take your word for it. Ramsay is a polarizing figure...either you see beyond the f-bombs or you don't. In most people, swearing doesn't help them but Ramsay has managed to be a star in spite of it. Like I said, my mother-in-law usually hates poor language but she gets a charge out of Ramsay. I think he swears in a manner that is somewhat creative at times and I do think his natural charisma that makes people follow his lead can overcome any negatives based on his F-bombs....

steve_spackman
7th January 2009, 21:44
I didn't see it but I will take your word for it. Ramsay is a polarizing figure...either you see beyond the f-bombs or you don't. In most people, swearing doesn't help them but Ramsay has managed to be a star in spite of it. Like I said, my mother-in-law usually hates poor language but she gets a charge out of Ramsay. I think he swears in a manner that is somewhat creative at times and I do think his natural charisma that makes people follow his lead can overcome any negatives based on his F-bombs....

have you read his books?? no 'F' bombs in those..and they are a great read too.

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 22:08
I have seen his cookbooks....no swearing of course in print. I would like to read an Autobiography of him. I think he has a great story to tell. A guy who grew up in rather poor circumstances who has never lost that edge of a guy trying to make it every day. He doesn't ever act like anyone but someone who wants to succeed every day....

steve_spackman
7th January 2009, 22:13
I have seen his cookbooks....no swearing of course in print. I would like to read an Autobiography of him. I think he has a great story to tell. A guy who grew up in rather poor circumstances who has never lost that edge of a guy trying to make it every day. He doesn't ever act like anyone but someone who wants to succeed every day....

his autobiography is a very good read

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 22:50
Steve...I haven't found it over here but now that I know there is one...I have to get it! Thank you sir....

steve_spackman
7th January 2009, 23:05
Steve...I haven't found it over here but now that I know there is one...I have to get it! Thank you sir....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humble-Pie-Gordon-Ramsay/dp/0007229674

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2009, 23:19
I think the title in North America of the same book may be "Roasting in Hell's kitchen"....either that or he has two Autobiographical tomes out there...