PDA

View Full Version : What will the Solberg Brothers do in 09 ?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Tomi
13th January 2009, 20:30
(Tomi and you other finns, I know you will be protesting this...!).

Off course im not protesting, everything is possible, but now rally in Norway is a 1 man show, the whole rally Norway organisation seem to crawl in front of Petter, from outside it looks amusing.
The main thing is what comes after Petter finishes his carreer, not so many good driving years left for him, the interest for rally might collapse if there is nobody to continiue. Also i dont get carried away too easy when it comes to new talents, from a new talent who can drive to top 6 there it's still a million things that can go wrong before he becomes a works driver.

MJW
13th January 2009, 20:35
Over 500 pages about what Petter will be driving in 2009 - If Malcolm Wilson or Olivier Quensel are reading this they will at least know that the driver they have if their car will have charisma and an generator of interest, "Hollywood" will brighten up the WRC with his celebrations when the wins come,

pettersolberg29
13th January 2009, 20:36
Over 500 pages would be impressive ;)

MJW
13th January 2009, 20:44
Over 500 pages would be impressive ;)

sorry posts

pettersolberg29
13th January 2009, 20:47
But your point is a good one. Just think what it would do for soemone like Citroen if they ran Petter in Norway. The Norwegian market for Citroens would quadruple in 3 days!

Gard
13th January 2009, 21:38
But your point is a good one. Just think what it would do for soemone like Citroen if they ran Petter in Norway. The Norwegian market for Citroens would quadruple in 3 days!

Yeah, and that would be about the number of cars sold in any car dealer in UK or other big nations in europe :(

BDunnell
13th January 2009, 21:44

At the moment, I doubt it would have any effect.

JFL
13th January 2009, 21:48
Before Petter signed a conract with SWRT, Subaru was next to nothing in Norway! Citroen is'nt that big at the moment, and I'm sure they would profit from it! Not only in Norway! Seems like he is a bigger star in other countries!

A.F.F.
13th January 2009, 21:57
I just wanted to say hi to Petter himself in case he is reading this thread :wave:

Sulland
13th January 2009, 22:47
Norway was actually nowhere in rallying when the Solberg brothers came into the sport in 96-97. Finland has always been oceans ahead of us, and our neigbours Sweden was looked upon as big brother. Certainly we have passed the swedes now, and possibly we can gain on Finland (Tomi and you other finns, I know you will be protesting this...!). Anyway we have had what we call the Solberg effect. New talents dare to think that they could have a chance if they try. Of course Mikkelsen and Østberg has been blessed with rich fathers, but believe you me - they are not only spoiled kids, but very talented too. Other young guns steadily pops up these days; Brynildsen, Bieltvedt, Kjær and more will come. We have a "youth class", allowing drivers to start with rallying from the age of 16, before they can take their licence for road-driving. In the midst of the financial crisis we started up a new Subaru Cup last saturday, with no less than 19 spanking new Impreza Sti N14s on the start line. It doesn`t look too bad, actually...

Yes, and the armada of young talent can in my opinion be traced directly back to Petter and Henning - what we are calling the "Solberg Effect"
Same as we see in other sport: Top athletes makes more people want to start, and then talent will come, and will have a path to walk in from their predecessors ! Let hope it continues !!!

Barreis
13th January 2009, 22:57
He can enter with his s9 I believe and change later

No active diffs for P.Solberg..

Gard
14th January 2009, 06:17
No active diffs for P.Solberg..

you're probably right.

Helstar
14th January 2009, 06:45
Do you have inside info for this ?

Come on you know it's true. Onboards video don't lie ... also Subaru mechanics often complained that Petter was messing too much with those buttons while driving. In service they always had to put things in "shape" again (well, we can argue if "good" or anyway "bad" shape as they don't listen to driver requests lol).

Petter and Dani are quite equal on tarmac

Wrong. Sordo is better.

Mikkelsen tested C4, Focus, and Subaru almost at the same time, and in his mind the C4 was a lot better then the rest.. He did'nt need much time to get on Loeb's pace (At least on the testtrack)
Well, finally we have an official confirm of what I'm saying since Monte 2008 ^^

"Hollywood" will brighten up the WRC with his celebrations when the wins come

Oh rly ? And when ?! In another life ? I hope for him he gets a competitive car in 2010 at least ...

Tumbo
14th January 2009, 07:26
Wrong. Sordo is better.

Just curious to know how many tarmac rallies Sordo has won compared to Solberg? Also note the subaru has been a dog on tarmac for yrs (they got left behind on the development train in 1999 and in moving to the 4 door chasis lost what they made up with the p2000) so we aren't comparing like with like anyway

Gard
14th January 2009, 08:18
Well.. it looks like PSRT has purchased C4's

Xsara Fan
14th January 2009, 08:29

Plz more info!!!!!!!

Tom206wrc
14th January 2009, 08:35

Several ???? :eek:

Helstar
14th January 2009, 08:41
Just curious to know how many tarmac rallies Sordo has won compared to Solberg? Also note the subaru has been a dog on tarmac for yrs (they got left behind on the development train in 1999 and in moving to the 4 door chasis lost what they made up with the p2000) so we aren't comparing like with like anyway

Without Loeb he could have some tarmac wins already and you know it ... sure, the C4 (07-08) and the active Xsara (back in 2006) were a lot more competitive compared to Subaru, but from what I've seen in Monte 2008 the skill is surely there, Citroen had to stop him with a "broken" engine you figure :p !
Petter is behind, it's not a question of the car, he often loses to Atko and look back in 2005, he was sometimes losing on tarmac to Gigi too - and they both had Pirelli tyres but Gigi was driving a crappy Lancer (the Impreza wasn't that bad in '05). And they aren't exactly the best ever on asphalt.

Gard
14th January 2009, 08:42
Several ???? :eek:

really don't know anything yet. It may be only one for RN.

Daniel
14th January 2009, 08:43
Without Loeb he could have some tarmac wins already and you know it ... sure, the C4 and the active Xsara back in 2006 were a lot more competitive compared to Subie, but from what I've seen in Monte 2008 the skill is surely there, Citroen had to stop him with a broken engine :p !
Petter is behind, it's not a question of the car, he often loses to Atko and look back in 2005, he was sometimes losing on tarmac to Gigi too - and they both had Pirelli tyres but Gigi was driving a crappy Lancer (the Impreza wasn't that bad in '05). And they aren't exactly the best ever on asphalt.

You're wasting your time :) People are looking for hope and clutching at every little bit of hope they can. If Petter is going to do well in rallies it will be on the gravel ones.

Camelopard
14th January 2009, 08:52

Noooooooooooo, please say it isn't true, it's bad enough that Akto has gone over to the dark side. :(

Glee
14th January 2009, 09:25
Not driving in the same team as Seb.

http://www.nrksport.no/motorsport/rally-vm/1.6432329

Googel translation:

Petter Solberg aims to participate with their own team at home.

The Rally Norway which starts 12.februar we either see youngest brother Solberg in his own team or as we see he is not at all.

- Will I, will be with my own team, Petter Solberg Team, "said Solberg, even to NRK.

- I'm still feverish with obtaining a car, but one thing is certain. I will not run in the team with Sebastien Loeb in the Citroën, "says Doe. I will attend on their own.

Citroën or Ford
World from 2003 starts to get extremely bad time, but can not say what kind of car he may want to run.

- It is either a car from Citroën or Ford, but it is fifty-fifty which team it is, continues Spydeberg None.

- There are many rumors about both the one and the other, but nothing is clear. I will be in many meetings, and hopefully will be ready next week.

Entry to Rally Norway
Solberg is already registered to Rally Norway, but must get all the pieces in place. He should probably even pay the full gilde if participation at home should be a fact.

- If nothing else, I will participate for the fans and the rally interested. I would like to give a little back, but it is difficult now. There are so many pieces that must be in place.

- The next days will show whether we will see Petter Solberg in Rally Australia held 12-15 February, end Solberg.

Iskald
14th January 2009, 10:41
Not driving in the same team as Seb.

http://www.nrksport.no/motorsport/rally-vm/1.6432329

Googel translation:

Petter Solberg aims to participate with their own team at home.

The Rally Norway which starts 12.februar we either see youngest brother Solberg in his own team or as we see he is not at all.

- Will I, will be with my own team, Petter Solberg Team, "said Solberg, even to NRK.

- I'm still feverish with obtaining a car, but one thing is certain. I will not run in the team with Sebastien Loeb in the Citroën, "says Doe. I will attend on their own.

Citroën or Ford
World from 2003 starts to get extremely bad time, but can not say what kind of car he may want to run.

- It is either a car from Citroën or Ford, but it is fifty-fifty which team it is, continues Spydeberg None.

- There are many rumors about both the one and the other, but nothing is clear. I will be in many meetings, and hopefully will be ready next week.

Entry to Rally Norway
Solberg is already registered to Rally Norway, but must get all the pieces in place. He should probably even pay the full gilde if participation at home should be a fact.

- If nothing else, I will participate for the fans and the rally interested. I would like to give a little back, but it is difficult now. There are so many pieces that must be in place.

- The next days will show whether we will see Petter Solberg in Rally Australia held 12-15 February, end Solberg.

Google translation is very funny, nearly as bad english as Petter Solberg himself. And if Petter is trying to enter Rally Australia 12-15 February, he is in for a surprise...!

Tumbo
14th January 2009, 11:08
You're wasting your time :) People are looking for hope and clutching at every little bit of hope they can. If Petter is going to do well in rallies it will be on the gravel ones.

Clutching at hope? Where did I say that Solberg would achieve anything much? In fact quite the opposite I think he's a spent force, and having said that I don't rate Sordo too highly either. Plus given that Solberg has the runs on the board and did well in a non-tarmac car (where the rain played a pivotal role no doubt) I think it's up to Sordo to show he is better; win a rally on tarmac in at least similar fashion and i'll strongly consider him to be better but atm it's all puff. PSRT in c4s will be interesting to see whether Petter can be competitive or will continue to blame the car, would love to see Atko out in the C4 for Norway as well as a true comparison

pino
14th January 2009, 11:14
Iskald, I don't see anything wrong in that translation ;) Anyway I really hope he will find a car/team to compete in all WRC events :up:

Iskald
14th January 2009, 12:05
Iskald, I don't see anything wrong in that translation ;) Anyway I really hope he will find a car/team to compete in all WRC events :up:

It all depends on how much money he is willing to spend from his own pocket. I think his addiction to rally driving possibly is stronger than his sexual drive, so that should count in the right direction. But on the other hand, "Scrooge" Solberg is not very happy to spend his own money. We`ll see...

Finni
14th January 2009, 13:22
It all depends on how much money he is willing to spend from his own pocket. I think his addiction to rally driving possibly is stronger than his sexual drive, so that should count in the right direction. But on the other hand, "Scrooge" Solberg is not very happy to spend his own money. We`ll see...

But isn't there millions of superrich sponsors on Norway?

Finni
14th January 2009, 13:26
I wonder if there is problems to get the 100% best package for the drver who driving in the team of his own. It would be nice to see if drives both cars, then I think, there would be competition between the teams and the quality would be top notch.

eppel
14th January 2009, 14:01
Petter Solberg is in discussion about 2010 with Fiat today in Italy. This is according to NRK.no..

RS
14th January 2009, 14:06
Petter Solberg is in discussion about 2010 with Fiat today in Italy. This is according to NRK.no..

If Petter does sign something with them early, it would be nice to see him run the rest of this year in a Punto, either in IRC or WRC :)

But Fiat had probably best wait if the FIA actually manage to make some rules up for 2010 first....

Iskald
14th January 2009, 14:26
But isn't there millions of superrich sponsors on Norway?

Of course, we are the real multimega billionaires of Europe!
But that doesn`t neccessarily mean that we are queing up to sponsor P. Solberg.

Finni
14th January 2009, 14:51
Of course, we are the real multimega billionaires of Europe!
But that doesn`t neccessarily mean that we are queing up to sponsor P. Solberg.

It's huge paradox if Petter don't get sponsorship in the light of Henning's continual sponsorship -as we all know there is difference of light years between brothers.

swordsman
14th January 2009, 14:58

Imagine the sweet dream team of Petter Solberg and Valentino Rossi in Fiat. Will probably never happen more than maybe for a single rally, but how nice wouldn't it be to the interest in the sport? :)

DonJippo
14th January 2009, 15:04

He is late, that seat is already reserved for Kimi Räikkönen... ;)

rx-guru
14th January 2009, 15:40
It's huge paradox if Petter don't get sponsorship in the light of Henning's continual sponsorship -as we all know there is difference of light years between brothers.

Petter is the faster of the siblings, no question. But they are not "light years" apart. However, while Petter, as a factory driver, did not care too much about sponsors Henning was always obliged to find some and please them.

Salist
14th January 2009, 15:48
Imagine the sweet dream team of Petter Solberg and Valentino Rossi in Fiat. Will probably never happen more than maybe for a single rally, but how nice wouldn't it be to the interest in the sport? :)

Abarth Fiat Rally Dream Team 2010 :)

Petter Solberg
Valentino Rossi
Kimi Raikonnen

:) :) :)

cali
14th January 2009, 16:13
He is late, that seat is already reserved for Kimi Räikkönen... ;)
Actually more like bought himself a car ;)

playmo
14th January 2009, 16:29
Well, i have to back Daniel this time, come on guys! these dudes at nrksport.no are changing the rumor every other day, it's been 500+ post and NOTHING is REAL (about petter anyway) besides that his first name is Petter and he's co-driver's Phill. I'd sugest you stop visiting their site until something official appears on Petter website or any other RELIABLE source, i'm gettin' a little sick of this peoples idiots roumors and gossip, they seem like the E! channel.
Other than that, it's funny how some people still believe these so called rumurs (i call them gossip) and go: oooohh!, aaahhh!, c4, focus, fiat.... next friday the rumor will be: petter is driving to the moon on a superhighway built by Wilson and Quesnel, and on a CFocus S2000+ on green fuel...

By the way, i'd like to see him driving a C4, but i'm pretty sure that WON'T happen.

Cheers.

jens
14th January 2009, 16:41
I'm already struggling to recall a rally car that hasn't been mentioned in this thread related to Petter's 2009 season. :p :

SubaruNorway
14th January 2009, 16:48
News on http://www.norsk-rally.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5934 :p etter-solberg-har-kjopt-citroen-xsara-wrc

Petter bought a Xsara yesterday, togheter with two engines and gearboxes. Doesn't say much just that it's likely that thats the car he'Il be using on Rally Norway.

JEM
14th January 2009, 16:50
Petter has bought Xsara... :confused: Is not this an old car for some one who ounly want the best.......?

http://www.norsk-rally.com/

swordsman
14th January 2009, 16:58
Petter has bought Xsara... :confused: Is not this an old car for some one who ounly want the best.......?

http://www.norsk-rally.com/

If he get's same spec as Kronos did in 2007, then he is totally tricked - i promise. Some parts were 2004 spec... If he get's 2006 Loeb spec or anything later than that, then he may have OK chances for a podium.

jens
14th January 2009, 17:01
Looking at how this thread and the rumours are developing, I'm already guessing that at Rally Norway Solberg will drive through the first stage in a C4, then sits into a Xsara for SS2. For SS3 he opts for a Focus and for the beginning of SS4 we can witness him in an Abarth, but to everyone's amazement it's possible to see him in a Fabia at the end of SS5...

J.Lindstroem
14th January 2009, 17:17
Looking at how this thread and the rumours are developing, I'm already guessing that at Rally Norway Solberg will drive through the first stage in a C4, then sits into a Xsara for SS2. For SS3 he opts for a Focus and for the beginning of SS4 we can witness him in an Abarth, but to everyone's amazement it's possible to see him in a Fabia at the end of SS5...

and on SS6 he will be changing to the Impreza and then the rally will be over...

User
14th January 2009, 17:21
I just heard that Petter has bought a Hyundai Accent WRC, ex Loix, with two engines and gearboxes.

Like c'mon, those dudes at Norsk Rally are getting annoying :D

jens
14th January 2009, 17:23
Can't wait until Petter has bought a Lancia Stratos plus a Mini Cooper S as a reserve car!

Wim
14th January 2009, 17:29
This is the soap The Bold & The beautyfull..Petter plays Ritch Forrester!

playmo
14th January 2009, 17:32
and waht if he gets an offer to run in a peugeot 206? aw! such a variety of choices he's got.....

swordsman
14th January 2009, 17:55
and waht if he gets an offer to run in a peugeot 206? aw! such a variety of choices he's got.....

I heard he stole my Peugeot 206 1.6 Sport and that he's gonna run full season with it - witout mechanics.

Tom206wrc
14th January 2009, 17:56
A Xsara ??? :eek:

:s

I'm sure he would do minimum as good in a whale, and a team like Bozian would cheer him to have a program in WRC09... :rolleyes:

JFL
14th January 2009, 18:06
If he bought a Xsara, I hope its a plan B car, or maybe he is gonna use it for testing.. I guess its quite similar to the C4.. For the 2010 season he is now in Italy negotiating with Fiat! I guess he's quite busy and is all over the places and talking to every team there is out there!
http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=&hl=no&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.norsk-rally.com%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26vie w%3Darticle%26id%3D5934%3Apetter-solberg-har-kjopt-citroen-xsara-wrc&sl=no&tl=en

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=&hl=no&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorsport.no%2Fwip4%2Fpetter_f iat%2Fd.epl%3Fcat%3D13747%26id%3D408424&sl=no&tl=en

ProRally
14th January 2009, 18:32
If he bought a Xsara, I hope its a plan B car, or maybe he is gonna use it for testing.. I guess its quite similar to the C4.. For the 2010 season he is now in Italy negotiating with Fiat! I guess he's quite busy and is all over the places and talking to every team there is out there!

The money he is spending flying around in his private jet :D you can buy any kind of wrc car !! :D :D

Or is his private jet gone ?

playmo
14th January 2009, 18:32
He's also in talks with a team to run in the Mexican Rally Championship (wich includes SS that feature shooters and stone-throwers that competitors have to avoid) from 2009 til 2012 (precisely december 12) in a LADA WRC+ (wrc+ nitrous)

JFL
14th January 2009, 18:38
No, the jets are still in the air! I guess that it brings him a nice paycheck!

Sulland
14th January 2009, 18:39
The money he is spending flying around in his private jet :D you can buy any kind of wrc car !! :D :D

Or is his private jet gone ?

You can, but they do not want to sell them to him !!!

Petter made money on his plane rent company last year, maybe not right now, but the guys that rents this kind plane dont care about the price !!

But I think Petter has a plan, lets give him credit until we see a press release !

noel157
14th January 2009, 18:41
Petter will surprise us all. With his choice of car and his performance in it.

BDunnell
14th January 2009, 18:56

:laugh:

urabus-denoS2000
14th January 2009, 19:29
Solberg will drive through the first stage in a C4, then sits into a Xsara for SS2. For SS3 he opts for a Focus and for the beginning of SS4 we can witness him in an Abarth

I thought C4 was for SS3 ;) :) :D :D

SubaruNorway
14th January 2009, 20:59
He hasen't bought anything, know someone who talked to him.

Bazza2541
14th January 2009, 23:31
http://www.rallybuzz.com/solberg-citroen-xsara-wrc/

calibr
14th January 2009, 23:51
http://www.vgb.no/30397/perma/402887

Here tries Petter and Phil OMP-equipment.

Seeing also that Bernt Kollevold has sent the picture. Norwegian OMP-dealer.

Since the team of Petter is called "Petter Solberg MSN Rally Edition"

http://static.rallynorway.no/files/2009/Entrylist-130109.pdf

http://rally.no.msn.com/?wa=wsignin1.0

Could we then see a BIG smiley on he`s car for rally-norway?!!? :) :D

Regards

CalibR

noel157
15th January 2009, 00:02
I don't believe we'll see Petter in an Xsara on a WRC round.

Daniel
15th January 2009, 07:45
A Xsara ??? :eek:

:s

I'm sure he would do minimum as good in a whale, and a team like Bozian would cheer him to have a program in WRC09... :rolleyes:

:rotflmao:

Everyone gets that these are just rumours except for you know who :laugh:

Gard
15th January 2009, 07:50
He hasen't bought anything, know someone who talked to him.

Thats right. He denies buying anything in a interview in a newspaper today.

also says that we should stop listen to all the rumours. When things come together, info will be on his web-site

swordsman
15th January 2009, 08:01
Thats right. He denies buying anything in a interview in a newspaper today.

also says that we should stop listen to all the rumours. When things come together, info will be on his web-site

There is a statement about this on his official website too published just a while ago.

Halvis
15th January 2009, 08:28
There is a statement about this on his official website too published just a while ago.

http://www.pettersolberg.com/html/?lang_pref=en

"- There are a lot of rumours on the internet today, saying that I bought a Citroën yesterday. That is not correct. Nothing is decided regarding a rally-car yet.

Petter S."

Tom206wrc
15th January 2009, 09:10
OK that's clear :mark:

A.F.F.
15th January 2009, 09:34
There's a rumour that Petter has not bought a Citroen Xsara !!!!!!

Daniel
15th January 2009, 09:35
There's a rumour that Petter has not bought a Citroen Xsara !!!!!!

What!?!?!?!?!?!?! Where are the shakedown times? :mad:

cali
15th January 2009, 09:41
This is getting rather funny, people without patience are posting and telling rubbish (not only in this forum)... :D

Daniel
15th January 2009, 09:42
This is getting rather funny, people without patience are posting and telling rubbish (not only in this forum)... :D

Exactly the point I tried to make about 10 pages back but got shouted down for it :D

Roy
15th January 2009, 09:44
a wtf my joke doesn't work

Iskald
15th January 2009, 09:48
http://www.pettersolberg.com/html/?lang_pref=en

"- There are a lot of rumours on the internet today, saying that I bought a Citroën yesterday. That is not correct. Nothing is decided regarding a rally-car yet.

Petter S."

And his brother actually doesn`t know what is true or not...Spoke to Henning today and he is not quite sure wether Petter actually is willing to forget his ultimate winning ambitions and just "drive for the fans" in Rally Norway. Because as he says, the Xsara is not by any chance a winning car in the rally, he could just as well drive a Skoda Fabia and compete for 4-5th place.

Knowing Petter and his winning instinct quite well it really surprises me if he is running a Xsara in Norway!

Roy
15th January 2009, 09:48
T :confused: m2 :eek: 6WRC

feresc13
15th January 2009, 09:52
I still having the faith that he'll buy an Impreza S14 and add his efforts to Adapta

Daniel
15th January 2009, 09:57
T :confused: m2 :eek: 6WRC

:up: :laugh:

BDunnell
15th January 2009, 10:07
Exactly the point I tried to make about 10 pages back but got shouted down for it :D

I agreed with you then and agreed with you now.

Karbonyl
15th January 2009, 10:16
There's a rumour that Petter has not bought a Citroen Xsara !!!!!!I totally agree. I think that instead of Xsara he's going to buy another Xsara. I know, that Petter himself denied buying any car, but it simply can not be true, because many people (not only) of this forum know it better :D

Barreis
15th January 2009, 10:37
Interesting news.. Now we will see what is quicker C4 or Xsara..

A.F.F.
15th January 2009, 10:38
Rally Forum: The rumour lies here.

Koppomsbo
15th January 2009, 10:40
I still having the faith that he'll buy an Impreza S14 and add his efforts to Adapta

Or he just use the 2nd one that adapta already have.

DonJippo
15th January 2009, 10:53
Rally Forum: The rumour lies here.

Yeah but I know the truth ;)

Sulland
15th January 2009, 11:02
Let see where the truth lies when Petter and Partnes are giving a Big Bang Press Conference. He is probably trying to keep some surprises for that, and that is why he is being so secrative !

He is trying to hold on to the directors chair, but in the internet world, that is hard !! ;)

Tomi
15th January 2009, 11:09

same here

bluuford
15th January 2009, 11:57
Once up on a time there was a little boy in one very small village. He was sent to the fields to take care of the sheeps when the boy became 9 years hold. Once the boy ran to the Village and screamed "WOLF.. WOLF.. WOLF! All the village people ran to the field with different kind of weapons but there was no wolf. The boy was joking:-) Exactly the same thing happened next day again.. He was joking again.. but on the third day there was really wolf. but nobody believed him anymore. And the wolf ate the sheeps and the boy..
The point is that when there will be news about Solberg then nobody believes it anymore ;-)

cali
15th January 2009, 12:16
Once up on a time there was a little boy in one very small village. He was sent to the fields to take care of the sheeps when the boy became 9 years hold. Once the boy ran to the Village and screamed "WOLF.. WOLF.. WOLF! All the village people ran to the field with different kind of weapons but there was no wolf. The boy was joking:-) Exactly the same thing happened next day again.. He was joking again.. but on the third day there was really wolf. but nobody believed him anymore. And the wolf ate the sheeps and the boy..
The point is that when there will be news about Solberg then nobody believes it anymore ;-)
Only when news about Petter comes from him or from reliable source

AndyRAC
15th January 2009, 12:37

Yeah, same here:

"Solberg in shock F1 move" - from a source!! ;) :s mokin:

Daniel
15th January 2009, 12:39
Yeah, same here:

"Solberg in shock F1 move" - from a source!! ;) :s mokin:

People like you annoy me.... we all know he's going to Champcar :rolleyes:

:s mokin:

AndyRAC
15th January 2009, 12:47
People like you annoy me.... we all know he's going to Champcar :rolleyes:

:s mokin:

D'you know what - maybe he will dovetail both!!

Just for a bit of a challenge.......

BDunnell
15th January 2009, 13:00

I think that crying 'WHALE! WHALE! WHALE!' would be more appropriate in this case. ;)

BDunnell
15th January 2009, 13:01
D'you know what - maybe he will dovetail both!!

Just for a bit of a challenge.......

I don't know why you continue to post such silly rumours. We all know that jens was correct in his earlier post.

calibr
15th January 2009, 13:05

http://www.vgb.no/30397/perma/402887

Here tries Petter and Phil OMP-equipment.

Seeing also that Bernt Kollevold has sent the picture. Norwegian OMP-dealer.

Since the team of Petter is called "Petter Solberg MSN Rally Edition"

http://static.rallynorway.no/files/2009/Entrylist-130109.pdf

http://rally.no.msn.com/?wa=wsignin1.0

Could we then see a BIG smiley on he`s car for rally-norway?!!? :) :D

Regards

CalibR

I definitely know the truth. And Lundefaret who writed on norsk-rally.com is in team with OMP-team in Norway with Bernt Kollevold, Martin Stenshorne and Lundefaret http://www.norsk-rally.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5936 :p etter-solberg-bytter-til-omp

Lennat
15th January 2009, 13:46
Why would he get a 3+ year old car? Might just as well buy a S14 then which he at least is used to.

If it was just a short term thing for rally Norway though, perhaps...

But otherwise i would be rather suprised if he did not get an at least 2008 spec Focus or C4.

Lousada
15th January 2009, 14:20
So when is the press conference, as we all know the truth in here?

Iskald
15th January 2009, 14:29
The key question in this case, I think, is whether Citroën or Ford has any motivation whatsoever in supplying Petter Solberg with a really competitive car. Why should they, if they suspect that Petter actually is capable of beating their guys (and steal points in the championship from their own title candidates)?

Latest rumours says that Petter had a deal with Citroën for a Xsara, and Petter wanted latest 2006 spec. on the car (read: Loeb 06 New Zealand spec). What Citroën now wants to sell him is more or less a customer spec. Xsara - a car which Citroën knows is no threat to Loeb this year and furthermore Petter knows he will not be able to be competitive in.

MJW
15th January 2009, 14:33
Latest rumours says that Petter had a deal with Citroën for a Xsara, and Petter wanted latest 2006 spec. on the car (read: Loeb 06 New Zealand spec). What Citroën now wants to sell him is more or less a customer spec. Xsara - a car which Citroën knows is no threat to Loeb this year and furthermore Petter knows he will not be able to be competitive in.

In that case take drive RN in Grondahl's S10 or even a Skoda or Celica. Maybe even a Abarth S2000 car.
Ford & Citroen wont want to take the risk of a privateer beating their cars, remember Carlsson and Stohl's Xsara's?

urabus-denoS2000
15th January 2009, 14:45
Um,guys,I dont agree with you.....
I think it would be better for them to have a strong driver on their side.

Citroen had good use from Duval in Germany,Catalunya and Corsica.He couldnt beat Seb but he could beat the Fords

Same for Petter (do you really think Petter can beat Loeb...........no he cant)

Brother John
15th January 2009, 14:47
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0069.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=characters/character0069.gif) http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0182.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=characters/character0182.gif) http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0024.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=confused/confused0024.gif) http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/rolleye/rolleye0012.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=rolleye/rolleye0012.gif) :D

swordsman
15th January 2009, 14:58
The key question in this case, I think, is whether Citroën or Ford has any motivation whatsoever in supplying Petter Solberg with a really competitive car. Why should they, if they suspect that Petter actually is capable of beating their guys (and steal points in the championship from their own title candidates)?

I barely dare, but on this topic I can't stop myself from posting a link to a blog post on EXACTLY that subject. It's a Citroen habit, I'm afraid: http://www.maxattack.net/2009/01/petter-solberg-in-the-xsara-wrc-in-norway/

urabus-denoS2000
15th January 2009, 15:05
Lets not forget that in 2007 Stohl drove on some rally (Cyprus I think) one of the oldest Xsaras,2001 exuiped with some more modern parts (none close to 2006-5) used by Puras

JFL
15th January 2009, 15:45
How often has it happened that a privateer or a M2 car have won a rally? Citroen won't allow it, and especially not a old Xsara beating the new C4. And I guess Malcolm Wilson is pretty strict in that case too..

Bazza2541
15th January 2009, 16:13
I hear that Solberg is in Ireland, he is negociating with Den Motorsport for a 2.4 Mk2 Escort.
It must be true as noone would make something like that up. ;)

Finni
15th January 2009, 16:18
How often has it happened that a privateer or a M2 car have won a rally? Citroen won't allow it, and especially not a old Xsara beating the new C4. And I guess Malcolm Wilson is pretty strict in that case too..

That's because M2 privateers have not been good enough to take wins. Duval was allowed to beat Hirvonen in Germany so I guess he could have won if he had been fast enough to beat Loeb.

JFL
15th January 2009, 16:38
That's because M2 privateers have not been good enough to take wins. Duval was allowed to beat Hirvonen in Germany so I guess he could have won if he had been fast enough to beat Loeb.
As long as Citroen has retired or they are behind, and the WRC standings allows it... Sure.. WRC has become a mafia sport! Lets hope the new WRC gets better with closer fights, and more different winners..

Finni
15th January 2009, 16:45

I think if Wilson suspects that Petter beats his drivers he would have very good reason to use Petter's service. In this case he would have a driver that is capable to fight Loeb.

DonJippo
15th January 2009, 16:51
Duval was allowed to beat Hirvonen in Germany

Yes because it was not Malcolm's car Duval was driving in Germany.

Tomi
15th January 2009, 16:54
I think if Wilson suspects that Petter beats his drivers he would have very good reason to use Petter's service. In this case he would have a driver that is capable to fight Loeb.

I cant hardly wait what the excuses will be, if the guy is off pace :)

Halvis
15th January 2009, 16:56

I think you're absolutely right here, the problem now is that I think it is somewhat uncertain which level Petter is on. How much of the poor results the last 3-4 years is due to the Impreza, and how much is driver related? I guess there will be an indication in Rally Irland, it will be very, very interesting to see Atkonsons' pace there! If one should assume that the things he have said about the C4 is correct, he will be very, very close to the fastest drivers - and where would Petter be, on Loebs' level?

Tomi
15th January 2009, 17:01
very close to the fastest drivers - and where would Petter be, on Loebs' level?

Or more likely, right behind Atkinson.

JFL
15th January 2009, 17:03

By the way! Duval was in a M1 car in Germany!

urabus-denoS2000
15th January 2009, 17:06
By the way! Duval was in a M1 car in Germany!

No he wasnt....

G249XDP
15th January 2009, 17:06
If its money worries Petter has, he could always do a Guy Willks and sell shares of himself to pay for a WRC drive!

Finni
15th January 2009, 17:09
Yes because it was not Malcolm's car Duval was driving in Germany.

Yes, and neither is Petter's car if he will get Ford.

JFL
15th January 2009, 17:12
No he wasnt....
My mistake...

urabus-denoS2000
15th January 2009, 17:16
My mistake...

He was M1 in Catalunya and Corsica ;)

DonJippo
15th January 2009, 17:17
Yes, and neither is Petter's car if he will get Ford.

From whom would he be getting it then?

Finni
15th January 2009, 17:42
I think you're absolutely right here, the problem now is that I think it is somewhat uncertain which level Petter is on. How much of the poor results the last 3-4 years is due to the Impreza, and how much is driver related? I guess there will be an indication in Rally Irland, it will be very, very interesting to see Atkonsons' pace there! If one should assume that the things he have said about the C4 is correct, he will be very, very close to the fastest drivers - and where would Petter be, on Loebs' level?

Wilson has nothing to loose. If Petter is not so fast what's the problem? In any case he is faster than other paying privateers. I wonder how Petter's presence could prevent Hirvonen or Latvala to beat Loeb.

I guess that the only reason why Wilson wouldn't offer Petter the best possible car is related to his egoistical tendencies, in other words irrational bias to show or believe that his "chosen ones" have been the best possible choise. Overally Malcolm gives impression of smart person but in ego-related issues he might be little stubborn (as the case of his son Matthew shows)

In rallies like Ireland or Monte Carlo Atkinson used to be faster than Petter with last Impreza. In my view Atkinson could realistically beat Sordo in Ireland but because he has had only one test-day in the car it's probably too difficult task.

How fast Petter really is? Some people here seems to think that Petter has lost his touch. I rather see that Petter's little regression during last year was related to his mental problems and unconfidende with the car. When the new car came in it seemed to me that Petter was generally ahead of Atkinson. In my view there is every reason to believe that Atkinson is as fast driver as Latvala and Hirvonen. The impression that Petter has lost totally his touch is just illusion that is created by Subaru's poor performances. Obviously last year Petter was not at the level he was in 2004 (the fastest driver on gravel). But I guess that with competitive car Petter is likely to recover from his slight regression.

Finni
15th January 2009, 17:44

From Wilson?

MJW
15th January 2009, 17:45
Perhaps they mean Ramsport

Tomi
15th January 2009, 17:49
I guess that the only reason why Wilson wouldn't offer Petter the best possible car is related to his egoistical tendencies, in other words irrational bias to show or believe that his "chosen ones" have been the best possible choise. Overally Malcolm gives impression of smart person but in ego-related issues he might be little stubborn (as the case of his son Matthew shows)

It can be things like contract issues, or Petter is not willing to pay what Wilson want or what ever as well.

Daniel
15th January 2009, 18:26
I barely dare, but on this topic I can't stop myself from posting a link to a blog post on EXACTLY that subject. It's a Citroen habit, I'm afraid: http://www.maxattack.net/2009/01/petter-solberg-in-the-xsara-wrc-in-norway/

Why do you insist on posting a link to your bog with rumours that Petter has already says are false himself? I don't want to do a Tom206WRC but I'm going to use the " :mad: " smiley......

:mad:

Fair enough if you're posting news but stop promoting your site, posting stuff that's already been posted or stuff that has been proven to be false at this point in time! It's ****ing annoying....

jens
15th January 2009, 19:36
I have no doubts in Petter. Besides Loeb he is the only current driver, who has proved himself to be a genuine top driver, having also won a title. And what is with all that talk he is "past his prime"? Well, he is similarly aged as Loeb, who is continually at the top. Grönholm fought for the title at the age of 39, Auriol and Sainz managed it in their 40's. Etc. Bottom line is, Petter has proven to be a top driver and his days are far from being numbered. Don't see any reason, why should Malcolm hesitate. If there is anyone, who could realistically challenge Loeb for the title, then Solberg is the best bet.

Iskald
15th January 2009, 19:43
If its money worries Petter has, he could always do a Guy Willks and sell shares of himself to pay for a WRC drive!

Great suggestion! "Scrooge" Solberg will like that...

Iskald
15th January 2009, 19:48
Why do you insist on posting a link to your bog with rumours that Petter has already says are false himself? I don't want to do a Tom206WRC but I'm going to use the " :mad: " smiley......

Fair enough if you're posting news but stop promoting your site, posting stuff that's already been posted or stuff that has been proven to be false at this point in time! It's ****ing annoying....

Are you a moderator or forum sheriff or whatever? Whats next, banning swordsman?

urabus-denoS2000
15th January 2009, 19:55
Guys,you are saying that "if Petter would get a proper C4 he would win rallys and be champion!!!!" ,you cant know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think he "lost it",although I would love to be proven wrong,I am a fan of him and his character :D
I think that specially since Atko outpaced him last year (they were close in pace,but Atko was way more reliable)

He spent 3 years in an uncompetitive car,but this is a world-class sport with world-class drivers and billions of euros and pounds in it.If you get even one step behind,you have a very hard path to make one step forwards

Just be patient and we will all see the best possible criteria of whether he lost it or he still has it : Stage times

Daniel
15th January 2009, 19:55
Are you a moderator or forum sheriff or whatever? Whats next, banning swordsman?

So we should just stand idly by while people choke the forum with advertisements for their sites and spamming? :)

Halvis
15th January 2009, 20:16
Wilson has nothing to loose. If Petter is not so fast what's the problem? In any case he is faster than other paying privateers. I wonder how Petter's presence could prevent Hirvonen or Latvala to beat Loeb.

In rallies like Ireland or Monte Carlo Atkinson used to be faster than Petter with last Impreza. In my view Atkinson could realistically beat Sordo in Ireland but because he has had only one test-day in the car it's probably too difficult task.

How fast Petter really is? Some people here seems to think that Petter has lost his touch. I rather see that Petter's little regression during last year was related to his mental problems and unconfidende with the car. When the new car came in it seemed to me that Petter was generally ahead of Atkinson. In my view there is every reason to believe that Atkinson is as fast driver as Latvala and Hirvonen. The impression that Petter has lost totally his touch is just illusion that is created by Subaru's poor performances. Obviously last year Petter was not at the level he was in 2004 (the fastest driver on gravel). But I guess that with competitive car Petter is likely to recover from his slight regression.

A very thorough and good analysis - in which I mostly agree. Thumbs up!

Halvis
15th January 2009, 20:24
Guys,you are saying that "if Petter would get a proper C4 he would win rallys and be champion!!!!" ,you cant know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think he "lost it",although I would love to be proven wrong,I am a fan of him and his character :D
I think that specially since Atko outpaced him last year (they were close in pace,but Atko was way more reliable)

He spent 3 years in an uncompetitive car,but this is a world-class sport with world-class drivers and billions of euros and pounds in it.If you get even one step behind,you have a very hard path to make one step forwards

Just be patient and we will all see the best possible criteria of whether he lost it or he still has it : Stage times

I don't think anyone has stated that if only a C4 he will be champion...

I also think you're way off by saying that Atko outpaced Petter, without going through all the rallies counting fastest times, I'm pretty sure that when there wasn't any technical problems, Petter was mostly faster than Atko. Not by much, but still.

What I agree completely, is that I wish Petter a competetive car - so that he has he chance to show that he hasn't lost it!

urabus-denoS2000
15th January 2009, 20:29
I really hope he gets a competitve car and the stage times will show us.

Off topic:How old is Atko?

Daniel
15th January 2009, 20:30
I really hope he gets a competitve car and the stage times will show us.

Off topic:How old is Atko?

30 later this year.

urabus-denoS2000
15th January 2009, 20:33
Thanks ;)

Finni
15th January 2009, 20:38

He lost by 2 points to Atko. But I don't believe last season's points tell the whole truth. The situation was much easier to Atko who is not used to winning than to Petter who was more frustrated.

2007 Petter did very good stage times at times but was not consistent. In my view Petter lost little bit during 2008. In terms of stage times only year 2008 suggests that Petter's personal speed was not at the sharpest end (style of Loeb or Grönholm). But I guess 2008 was only temporary regression (caused by frustration and lack of trust to the car).

Iskald
15th January 2009, 20:40
So we should just stand idly by while people choke the forum with advertisements for their sites and spamming? :)

Thats entirely your own view, so please do not use "we". Nobody else have expressed this view, and I sincerely dislike your tone against swordsman. It`s not the first time you`re on a mission to "arrest" a fellow forumer. I really think you should leave that to the moderators!

Finni
15th January 2009, 20:46
I actually believe that Atkinson is more talented driver than for instance Hirvonen. If someone compares Hirvonen's and Atkinson's first years in Subaru there is no question which one was better (Hirvonen was even more experienced at the time).

Daniel
15th January 2009, 20:52
Thats entirely your own view, so please do not use "we". Nobody else have expressed this view, and I sincerely dislike your tone against swordsman. It`s not the first time you`re on a mission to "arrest" a fellow forumer. I really think you should leave that to the moderators!

Others have expressed the same feelings at this person constantly posting links to their blog :)

I sincerely dislike your tone against me as well so ner :dozey:

Daniel
15th January 2009, 20:53
I actually believe that Atkinson is more talented driver than for instance Hirvonen. If someone compares Hirvonen's and Atkinson's first years in Subaru there is no question which one was better (Hirvonen was even more experienced at the time).

I agree. Most here didn't have the chance to follow Chris' ARC career and he really had a great attitude and style when he was there, with better equipment he will do well I feel.

Tomi
15th January 2009, 21:03

From that point of view its easy to agree, but Hirvonens bad preformance at Subaru has a lot to do with the thing, that he was not the driver choise that Richards wanted, he was Subarus choise.

leno
15th January 2009, 21:20
Both subaru guys (petter and chris) become way better drivers in those bad subaru years. Why? If you have bad car you need to go over limit to compete, and now with proper car both are closer to loeb then hirvonen. just my thinking

MJW
15th January 2009, 21:26
Both subaru guys (petter and chris) become way better drivers in those bad subaru years. Why? If you have bad car you need to go over limit to compete, and now with proper car both are closer to loeb then hirvonen. just my thinking
Hirvonen is a nice guy, but come on he hugged Loeb in JKLA after Loeb beat him on home soil. OK shake his hand, but I think Sebastien knew then, and always that Mikko will be no threat to him ever again.
JML is another matter.......... IF he can stay on the road. I think Petter in a Ford will be a closer challenger to Loeb than Mikko, but I suspect Malcolm will not allow that.

Tom206wrc
15th January 2009, 21:28
Why do you affirm Petter IN A FORD ??? :rolleyes:

MJW
15th January 2009, 21:29
Or a Citroen.

Tomi
15th January 2009, 21:58
Or a Citroen.

Dont tell me you dont know what he will drive by now?

swordsman
15th January 2009, 22:12

So Daniel, good enough. You're just rediculous.
If you stop your aggressions and just read the text in the page you're so annoyed of it's one third regarding the rumour of Petter in a Citroen Xsara, yes. That's not forbidden from what I know - but it's not even the point. I told quite openly when I posted the link that it was exactly regarding the subject that Iskald wrote about, Citroen delivering old parts, and that's also exactly what it is about (the rest 2/3). If I wouldn't had written the blogpost the day before Iskalds post, I would have written it here instead - but now I had and then I'm not stupid and write it once again, I post the link. It's some own experiences of exactly that thing - Citroen delivering old stuff (and that should be news with myself as #1 source since at least I've not heard this expressed that openly outside the team before).

What you're asking about is some kind of censorship of any posts that you doesn't like - but when did you get king of this forum? I guess you've never been - and for sure I haven't either. If a moderator think that the post was totally off-topic or violated any rule, then I would for sure accept that. However, don't take it personal but you are just a nobody wanting everyone else to do as you like. That's not how it is - and if it was - this forum would have been boring (and it would have if everyone did as I wanted too).

For sure it's promotion of my blog, but it's ON TOPIC promotion that add's something to the subject - and not with the main intention to promote - but to take part in the debate. I don't consider that spam, I don't consider it bad in any way. I would appreciate if anyone else posted links to their blogs on any subject in this forum if it's related and gives me more info/perspectives.

If any moderator is of another opinion I think it would be good to everyone in this thread if you expressed this now so we can change our behaviour to that, because I think the discussion is becoming far too much on "what you're allowed to say" - and THAT is the one thing that to me seems surely off topic. And accordingly; Sorry for this 3/4 off topic post.

Wim
15th January 2009, 22:24
I'm on a lot of furums..and this is a general thought. Often you feel a bitter taste and pointless discussions. Sometimes people seem to feel more bossy then other persons..lots of negative things said. That's a shame. Sitting behind a screen doesn't mean you are intouchable.
Rumours and thoughts and opinions, that is what a forum is about. When you want facts, you have to buy a newspaper...and even that is often false information.
But for sure the Petter situations now is something special. Everyone would like to know soon the outcome. And because it's taking too long, speculations are in the air, thats normal. But it's nothing to be rude about.

Bazza2541
15th January 2009, 22:53
There is always the 'ignore' list?

Daniel
15th January 2009, 23:35
So Daniel, good enough. You're just rediculous.
If you stop your aggressions and just read the text in the page you're so annoyed of it's one third regarding the rumour of Petter in a Citroen Xsara, yes. That's not forbidden from what I know - but it's not even the point. I told quite openly when I posted the link that it was exactly regarding the subject that Iskald wrote about, Citroen delivering old parts, and that's also exactly what it is about (the rest 2/3). If I wouldn't had written the blogpost the day before Iskalds post, I would have written it here instead - but now I had and then I'm not stupid and write it once again, I post the link. It's some own experiences of exactly that thing - Citroen delivering old stuff (and that should be news with myself as #1 source since at least I've not heard this expressed that openly outside the team before).

What you're asking about is some kind of censorship of any posts that you doesn't like - but when did you get king of this forum? I guess you've never been - and for sure I haven't either. If a moderator think that the post was totally off-topic or violated any rule, then I would for sure accept that. However, don't take it personal but you are just a nobody wanting everyone else to do as you like. That's not how it is - and if it was - this forum would have been boring (and it would have if everyone did as I wanted too).

For sure it's promotion of my blog, but it's ON TOPIC promotion that add's something to the subject - and not with the main intention to promote - but to take part in the debate. I don't consider that spam, I don't consider it bad in any way. I would appreciate if anyone else posted links to their blogs on any subject in this forum if it's related and gives me more info/perspectives.

If any moderator is of another opinion I think it would be good to everyone in this thread if you expressed this now so we can change our behaviour to that, because I think the discussion is becoming far too much on "what you're allowed to say" - and THAT is the one thing that to me seems surely off topic. And accordingly; Sorry for this 3/4 off topic post.

My issue is only with you constantly posting your links on the forum. I really do think people should be encouraged to post links when they are relevant and add something new to the discussion. But all you did was post a link to your site containing rumours proven to be false and stuff which is common knowledge. Yes Citroen don't give cutting edge parts to privateers..... we've known this for ages and I could probably find 50 posts saying the same thing. If someone posted that the sky was blue and you'd said this in your bog in the past would you feel the need to link to it? :dozey:

Have you wondered why I seem to have singled you out? Why have I not gone off at Xsara Fan on this thread here -> http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131187
Perhaps it's because he added something new and unique to the thread and wasn't simply trying to promote his site. I think people like Xsara Fan are an asset to the forum with their information which I simply could not find anywhere else.

sollitt
16th January 2009, 01:45
I agree with you Daniel. This forum ought not be used for shameless self promotion. Perhaps we should declare that anyone posting over 29,000 posts is immediately banned!

Daniel
16th January 2009, 01:46
I agree with you Daniel. This forum ought not be used for shameless self promotion. Perhaps we should declare that anyone posting over 29,000 posts is immediately banned!

Agreed, Anyone with that many posts is definitely somewhat unhinged. What am I meant to be promoting? :laugh:

Gard
16th January 2009, 06:33
Daniel, what was the topic again? Strange that you almost make every topic debating the same, you

You have been much right in this tread, but swordsman link was more on topic, than most of your postings. and even though Petter denying, some insiders still says he has bought a car. We know that plan A is to get a car with winning potensial, but also that plan B is to get "any" car and just drive for the fans

ProRally
16th January 2009, 07:15
Rumor heard last night...

PSRT , Petter Solberg Rally Team run out of UK by Phil Mills outfit (he makes historic cars), which 'convert' to modern cars, they would run 2 cars, mechanics are easy to find, they can pick from the 'rumored' 180+ people who lost their job at PD ... did not find out which car (yet) :D

swordsman
16th January 2009, 07:26
Yeah, yeah Daniel, keep bashing and crying. No moderator has told me I'm wrong so you wanna keep running this discussion that in itself is off-topic it will at least not be with me. I'll keep posting my on topic links both to my own and others material and I engourage anyone else to do it too, including you. Have a nice day, man!

grugsticles
16th January 2009, 08:03
Rumor heard last night...

PSRT , Petter Solberg Rally Team run out of UK by Phil Mills outfit (he makes historic cars), which 'convert' to modern cars, they would run 2 cars, mechanics are easy to find, they can pick from the 'rumored' 180+ people who lost their job at PD ... did not find out which car (yet) :D
Now the idea I love. Absolutly brilliant in my opinion.

The thing is that im not convinced that they would have the financial backing to rival the works teams through testing and development. If thats the case would it be really worth creating a team carrying your own name if you wernt going to win?

Does anyone know what Petters financial situation is in terms of sponsorship?

Iskald
16th January 2009, 09:28
Agreed, Anyone with that many posts is definitely somewhat unhinged. What am I meant to be promoting? :laugh:

Yourself perhaps...?

Rally_Rocks
16th January 2009, 10:41
I've always considered forums to be a place for debate, arguement, gossip, news and information. And to that end, this forum does a great job. Daniel, after nearly 30,000 posts I'd have thought you would have been the first to recognize this. If hard news and fact is all you want, don't upset your precious sensitivities here, go to one of those reputable sites you talk about.

pino
16th January 2009, 11:00
Can we go back to the topic now ? thank you !

Iskald
16th January 2009, 12:31
Latest qualified rumour: Petter Solberg is to test two different cars during the next couple of weeks (Ford and Citroën, I guess) to decide what car he will run in Rally Norway. I think this confirms - together with Petters own denial that he has bought a car - that he is not a Citroën owner yet.

Petter has also been offered a Skoda Fabia drive, on the grounds that this will be just as good as a customer Xsara - and certainly cheaper regarding running costs.

Daniel
16th January 2009, 16:14
Latest qualified rumour: Petter Solberg is to test two different cars during the next couple of weeks (Ford and Citroën, I guess) to decide what car he will run in Rally Norway. I think this confirms - together with Petters own denial that he has bought a car - that he is not a Citroën owner yet.

Petter has also been offered a Skoda Fabia drive, on the grounds that this will be just as good as a customer Xsara - and certainly cheaper regarding running costs.

I think that's probably the most credible sounding rumour on the forum at the moment.

wrc_flipper
16th January 2009, 16:49
looks like Petters off to Proton for 2010
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72832

Daniel
16th January 2009, 16:53

If that be true then it seems Petter is looking to cash in his reputation as he doesn't feel he can get a proper car :crazy:

wrc_flipper
16th January 2009, 17:02
If that be true then it seems Petter is looking to cash in his reputation as he doesn't feel he can get a proper car :crazy:

well he has said he wants to win, so the car must be good - just because it a low end brand nothing to say that the setup may be well suited to Rallying.

playmo
16th January 2009, 17:48

Isn't this the same solberg that sucks at developing a car?

I mean, c'mon! if the latest evo of the impreza (s14) had some kind of pace i think it was due to Martin's role.... How long did it take for prodrive engineers to find the solution to handling problems that solberg had? (and seemed that atkinson didn't, or at least not that bad)
Seems that in a properly set-up car, he can (could?) be very fast, but he finds it hard to set the car at his liking by his-self.

Lousada
16th January 2009, 19:02
well he has said he wants to win, so the car must be good - just because it a low end brand nothing to say that the setup may be well suited to Rallying.

You're right, although this quote does ring alarmbells:

"The WRC is very interesting, we'd be fighting with the big boys - the chance to take on manufacturers like Ford and Citroen, albeit using a much smaller budget, is something we would welcome."

Koz
16th January 2009, 20:25

You can't really say that.
Look at Marcus. 2003,04,05, how were his results? How good was the 307?
But he came back pretty well in the Ford and nearly took the title in '07. Why can't petter be the same in a new car?

(although was much more competitive throughout the time, even if results didn't show that)

Same thing with Petter he was much faster than anyone in 04, his car failed him. And it's been downhill since, you can't say he lost it because no one has CLEARLY outpaced him; by that I mean compare Marcus and Markko in the 307. Marcus was quicker almost always quicker.
I think maybe you get to a point where the car will only go so fast regardless of who drives it.

Well... I'm no fan of Petter. Him not cutting hair, dancing, falling off his car etc., it all annoys me abit. Too much publicity, not enough of anything else (lately).

Quite sad he put in so much time and loyalty into the scooby. Same thing as Galli, which is very sad in both cases.

Psycho!
16th January 2009, 20:56
The main thing for me is that both drivers have lost precious years with not so good cars,while Loeb was in front....

Tom206wrc
16th January 2009, 22:16
Petter with Proton...Petter with Proton...well... :crazy: :crazy:

pettersolberg29
16th January 2009, 22:23
With the Proton, will the deal be announced this year or next year?

Also, is it known if he will take part in possible IRC rounds this year with the Proton?

JFL
16th January 2009, 22:28
He is just around talking to different teams.. Fiat, Proton, and maybe Peugeot next, or MG?

A.F.F.
16th January 2009, 22:46

Folks were as amazed when Markku Alen talked with Subaru. Petter with Proton, or any other newcomer to the rally, makes sense to me. He get to build the team as he wants and be the number one as he seem to need. For the team, it'll benefit it too.

noel157
16th January 2009, 23:53
He is just around talking to different teams.. Fiat, Proton, and maybe Peugeot next, or MG?

Exactly, just talking. Why does everybody talk like he's signed a 2 year deal with Proton?

WRCfan
17th January 2009, 00:23
On a serious note, I think Solberg is talking to everyone who will listen. He has to cover his @ss somehow. The more fingers he has in the pie the better chance he has of landing a drive. The WRC is in a weird time now as this is the last year to see WRC cars at top level before s2000 takes over so Petter may be thinking hard about whether he runs a WRC machine or gets a jump on others by running in a car useful to him when rule changes come into effect.

eppel
17th January 2009, 09:14
Petter tells Norwegian media today that he got an offer to drive Le Mans. Unknown which team and car. He will consider it.

muscrae
17th January 2009, 10:02
Seb also has some experince with Le Mans as you remember, what if they compete in Le Mans in the following years instead of WRC :D

leno
17th January 2009, 11:29
Seb also has some experince with Le Mans as you remember, what if they compete in Le Mans in the following years instead of WRC :D

Petter and SEeb should make WRC team in LE Mans haha

Tom206wrc
17th January 2009, 11:31
One thing is sure, there's a WRC event the same week-end as the 24h race... :mark:

ShiftingGears
17th January 2009, 11:39

My thoughts exactly.

Psycho!
18th January 2009, 18:42
Petter in Malaysia to speak with Proton headquarters...MY GOD!!!! :eek: :eek:

pettersolberg29
18th January 2009, 19:03
^ Is this new news or from the past?!

Psycho!
18th January 2009, 19:33
^ Is this new news or from the past?!
I saw today that he has gone to Malaysia...It's not a new....? :rolleyes:

jens
18th January 2009, 20:42
Petter Solberg is like the sale of Honda F1 Team. A lot of rumours, every day folks are waiting for concrete news, which somehow never seem to arrive.

A.F.F.
19th January 2009, 06:34
Petter is going to buy Honda F1 Team ??!!?? :eek: Thanks jens !!

swordsman
19th January 2009, 08:55
Petter has made an official statement that he will decide what car to use in 2009 during next weekend!

Sulland
19th January 2009, 09:26
Do you have a link to where the official statement was made ?
So much info floating around, hard to keep track !

swordsman
19th January 2009, 09:27
Do you have a link to where the official statement was made ?
So much info floating around, hard to keep track !

Sorry, thought I posted that. http://www.pettersolberg.no

bluuford
19th January 2009, 10:22
Most probably we have some other news on Friday afternoon as well.. will be nice weekend.

swordsman
19th January 2009, 10:26
Most probably we have some other news on Friday afternoon as well.. will be nice weekend.

So, that was a super-secret post. Why don't you make it a true rumour? At least some people will get annoyed ;)

J4MIE
19th January 2009, 10:33
What other news? :confused:

Sulland
19th January 2009, 12:09
Does Markko Martin also have news ?

cali
19th January 2009, 12:44
Does Markko Martin also have news ?
Yes, his car dealershop had revenue of 200 million EEK :) (sells Nissan, Chevrolet and Subaru).
This is only news + he runs still his own domestic rally team which does service to the most subies here.

Otherwise he is keeping very low profile and will not pay for drive.

Sulland
24th January 2009, 13:49
Rumours that Petter is in Sveden today to test Ford and Citroen.

Also that on tuesday on a pressconference in Oslo it will be presented two new WR Teams.

JFL
24th January 2009, 14:01

Also that on tuesday on a pressconference in Oslo it will be presented two new WR Teams.
The Citroen/Ford test is not a rumour is it?

jbmarcus21
24th January 2009, 14:20

2 new WRC Teams ???!!!!

Which new Team wrc and which drivers ????

2 teams = 2 drivers inside it... so 4 drivers add on wrc 2009 ... ?

Halvis
24th January 2009, 15:32

Surely he must have decided now? I don't think it's likely that he will do that. And 2 new teams?

JFL
24th January 2009, 15:38
Surely he must have decided now? I don't think it's likely that he will do that. And 2 new teams?

Maybe the test will decide his choice.?

Tomi
24th January 2009, 15:57
Surely he must have decided now?

Why dont he just take a works Citroen, if it's up to him?

Barreis
24th January 2009, 17:34
Why to pay??

Torsen
24th January 2009, 18:03
regardless of what he chooses he'll still be top 3 at best... even with a decked out C4

noel157
24th January 2009, 18:45
I may be in the minority but if Petter gets the right package he will be back, back to challenging for P2 and P3 on a regular basis and maybe, just maybe a P1.

RS
24th January 2009, 20:03
2 new WRC Teams ???!!!!

Which new Team wrc and which drivers ????

2 teams = 2 drivers inside it... so 4 drivers add on wrc 2009 ... ?

Real teams or marketing tricks like Stobart and Munchis?

jbmarcus21
24th January 2009, 21:23
Strange because .. Stobart and Munchi's are not new Team ...

And Stobart has announced his program... Maybe other drivers ?

pettersolberg29
24th January 2009, 22:24
Either way the statement he said about announcing his car tonight is obviously a lie! (AGAIN!)

When will we ever know?

Glee
24th January 2009, 22:28
It seams like Petter has something big going on...

Maybe he could be the first privateer who win the wrc title since Ari Vatanen in 1981?

You can get 1/25 in odds for Petter winning WRC 2009 (as "any other driver"). If Petter have a good car he should have a realistic chance of winning in 2009.

AndyRAC
24th January 2009, 22:50
It seams like Petter has something big going on...

Maybe he could be the first privateer who win the wrc title since Ari Vatanen in 1981?

You can get 1/25 in odds for Petter winning WRC 2009 (as "any other driver"). If Petter have a good car he should have a realistic chance of winning in 2009.

Are you being serious?

With the best will in the world, I can't imagine Petter winning the Championship - even winning a Rally is stretching the imagination.

Glee
24th January 2009, 23:00
Are you being serious?

With the best will in the world, I can't imagine Petter winning the Championship - even winning a Rally is stretching the imagination.

That depends on the car. If Petter has a top priority Focus or C4 he will have maybe 1:10 inn winning the championship, at 1:25 in odds.

Seb has in his C4 has about an 1:1,6 chance to win the championship, at 1:1,6 in odds.

But anything else than a top priority car, even a M2 car, would make that bet a waste of money bet.

Tomi
24th January 2009, 23:22

LOL, sure yes if you can get the best car for him and lousier cars for the rest.

JFL
25th January 2009, 02:53
Ha Ha Ha... Jesus... Thought that you guys figured out that nobody, exept the nr.1 driver of the leading team, could win... Did'nt you realise that the hole sport(WRC) is controlled?.. . The only way to figure out who's the best is.. Like in Norway: make a cup.. No exuses. . And of course ..everybody knows that Loeb would'nt be de obvious winner.. Maybe, Solberg, or Latvala, or Hirvonen..? maybe someone else...

Glee
25th January 2009, 07:55
Either way the statement he said about announcing his car tonight is obviously a lie! (AGAIN!)

When will we ever know?

From his press release:
"There are still some issues to sort out regarding which car I will be driving this season, but a decision will be made during next weekend."

1) It is still "next weekend"
2) It is the decision witch is due this weekend. It says nothing of the publication of the result of the decision.

bassist
25th January 2009, 11:08
I am probably biased in the fact that I would like Petter to continue in the WRC, purely to give something back to Phil. He`s stood by Petter through all the crap over the past few years, and (Ok he may have been paid a decent amount) remained loyal to their overall objective. I think we perhaps forget the crutial role of the co-driver in suceeding in rallying,and when, as Subaru did before Christmas, the plug is pulled the driver is always in the spotlight.On the matter of what Petter will drive in Norway, we will have waited a hell of a long time to find out, so another few days or so is not going to make any difference.I along with most of you on this Forum hope that whatever they both compete in, it will be on as equal footing as it can be to an M1 car.I think Petter and Phil, could deliver if this were made possible, and silence those doubters as to their ability to challenge Sebastian. :s mokin:

harriswrc
25th January 2009, 11:59
Strange because .. Stobart and Munchi's are not new Team ...

And Stobart has announced his program... Maybe other drivers ?I suppose that the teams should be Petter Solberg rally team with Petter as a driver and Adapta Rally team with Mads Ostberg as a driver.
If Petter choose Ford, is there any possibility that we would have a M2 Solberg Rally team with drivers the Solberg brothers? Or Henning has signed a contract with Stobart team?

Gard
25th January 2009, 14:01
Stobart shared the bill with Expert and friends, so my bet is that Henning will stick with Stobart

jbmarcus21
25th January 2009, 14:47
Why the new team will not be, RAMSPORT .. With Petter and one other driver as Galli or Duval or Marcussss ? Why not ?

Wim
25th January 2009, 20:36
a Xsara? Could be faster in a S14. Poor...

Halvard
25th January 2009, 20:39
I can now confirm that we will start Rally Norway in an Citroen Xsara 2006 model.

A lot has to organized before we come to Hamar. Information regarding the team, who will run the car and sponsors will be announced at a press conferance before Rally Norway.

Petter Solberg

Source : pettersolberg.com

Don`t know what I think about this....

A.F.F.
25th January 2009, 20:45
Safe choise. That's what I think about it. :mark:

DonJippo
25th January 2009, 20:57
I can now confirm that we will start Rally Norway in an Citroen Xsara 2006 model.

So Xsara in Rally Norway, what about the rest of the season?

jacko
25th January 2009, 21:00
it will be a car like Gardemeister on some rounds, a good decent car, not the top material from Citroen. I really think he will be there in the top5 if he get's some testing. I wonder why he didn't want a Subaru drive anymore, i really think Subaru had some offer for him, but i think he's complete finished with Subaru. With this car it's a bit safe or Ford was asking too much. For the Norwayround Ford already has 3 fast guys and i don't think Citroen would make a car for Petter because there's a limit of C4's in the first part of the season.
At least there's a good car/ driver in the Norway event and that's good. I don't think he will enter more rounds with this car and he could end in the Munich's Ford for some rounds...
Time will tell.

Iskald
25th January 2009, 21:07
Safe choise. That's what I think about it. :mark:

Exactly, but then he is not aiming for a victory. I think he has set aside ultimate ambitions and wants to give his fans a show on home ground, but with a possibility to get a decent result and score a few points.

Rally Norway lost a lot of money in 2007. Lack of sponsorship and big uncertainty regarding spectator interest and ticket sales for this years event, points to another event in red figures. If the rally once more loses a lot of money, it can possibly mean an end to a norwegian WRC-event. Petter knows that, and primarily he wants to drive the rally - wether or not he have a chance of winning it.

muscrae
25th January 2009, 21:10
Nice car, nice driver, and a homeland... ı hope good result for Petter...

swordsman
25th January 2009, 21:41
Smart choice by Petter. He would never have managed to get fair circumstances running in a C4 or a new Focus, since all the works drivers in such cars have done at least one season in them. Here comes Petter, a few weeks before the event - what would he have? More than one day of testing would have been a surprise. Also, he wouldn't get the sharpest parts.

No, considering the spectator experience the Xsara isn't the best, but good enough. Considering his brand, it's the best choice he could make - and I'm quite sure that's why he did it. I've written a longer story on the thing in the blog, but that's the essence.

Let's now hope it get's to be a great show, at least :)

JFL
25th January 2009, 21:45
As we heard he tested the Focus and Xsara "side by side". I guessed he picked the quickest one?

Gard
25th January 2009, 21:55
As we heard he tested the Focus and Xsara "side by side". I guessed he picked the quickest one?

or the one that will suit the team he'll use for the rest of the season

Fischer
25th January 2009, 22:02
Will be nice to see him in another car than Impreza, I hope he does well.

Tomi
25th January 2009, 22:23
Rally Norway lost a lot of money in 2007. Lack of sponsorship and big uncertainty regarding spectator interest and ticket sales for this years event, points to another event in red figures. If the rally once more loses a lot of money, it can possibly mean an end to a norwegian WRC-event.

Thats the spirit, if that happens i think a few swedes feel a bit fooled.

Sulland
25th January 2009, 23:50
So it became true after all, the statement that came a while ago about the Xsara.

Hopefully he can get all the right bits and pieces for it from Citroen, if so this can get fun. If he has tested Focus and Xsara in parallel, then he know what he is doing - he took the best overall package !

I hope he can get it tested and sorted out before Norway.

This also mean that Petter will be continue to work towards 2010, and test a lot of S2000 cars, maybe also some rallies.

Have fun on the Le Mans testing Petter !!!

swordsman
26th January 2009, 07:38
Now it's proved that Petter did test the Citroen this weekend. Swedish newspaper VF (Värmlands Folkblad) has a photo of it!

http://www.vf.se/Sport/Varmland/Det-blev-Citroen-090125.aspx

Sulland
26th January 2009, 08:49
http://www.vf.se/upload/Ar%202009/Januari/Vecka%204/Lördag/1Petter%20Hak.jpg

What does this numberplate tell us, is this one of the newest Xsaras, at least the chassis ?
Hopefully he gets all the good bits on it !

swordsman
26th January 2009, 08:55

What does this numberplate tell us, is this one of the newest Xsaras, at least the chassis ?

I got a few thoughts seeing this pic, reading the news on NRK Sport, etc. Petter says on NRK sport that he will be driving the car first time in 2 weeks? And now we know he has already driven it... And it sounds like he has purchased it too. Since he seems to be stretching a little with the truth on if he has driven the car or not - may he previously have been stretching the truth regarding if he had bought the car?

Can it be so that Petter HAD bought the car when it was rumoured a few weeks ago, but he just didn't want to admit?

Xsara Fan
26th January 2009, 09:06

It`s the same car which Conrad Rautenbach used in Ireland:

http://www.crspics.com/2009/Tarmac%2009/galway%20int%2009/09-2CRS10579.jpg

RS
26th January 2009, 09:08
Oh good, at least it's not another bloody Focus!

The Xsara should be ok, no worse than a Subaru, and for Petter it is a good choice. If he is not on the top pace he can blame the car.

Xsara Fan
26th January 2009, 09:11
I`ve got an info that PH-Sport will NOT work with Petter Solberg`s car.

Tom206wrc
26th January 2009, 09:28
A whale would have been equal to that Xsara me guess(and as I told earlier Bozian would have been delighted to work with Solberg)... :(

Sulland
26th January 2009, 10:00
I`ve got an info that PH-Sport will NOT work with Petter Solberg`s car.

So will he have people from PSA Sport, or at least train the trainer for his people, and all the required electronics to maintain the car !

Rally Hokkaido
26th January 2009, 10:55
This is part of the babelfish translation of story on French rally website: WRC is Free
As announced, Solberg confirms it, it will take part in the rally of Norway at the wheel of Xsara of 2006. It is pH which will make roll the car, Norwegian will find Fx Demaison, French engineer with whom it could worked at Subaru. A press conference will be given to the day before it rally to introduce in detail the team and her partners.

So, Xsara Fan are you saying that only pH Sport will not be involved or that Francois-Xavier Demaison won't be chief engineer, as well?

Xsara Fan
26th January 2009, 11:03
So, Xsara Fan are you saying that only pH Sport will not be involved or that Francois-Xavier Demaison won't be chief engineer, as well?

Letter from PH-Sport:
"Petter is not running with us. Sorry, but I don't have other information".

That`s all info...

noel157
26th January 2009, 11:12
XF, what's the history of Solberg's Xsara?

Xsara Fan
26th January 2009, 11:16
XF, what's the history of Solberg's Xsara?

For the moment I don`t know. Citroen has rebuilt one of their chassis and give a new numberplates. Let`s wait and see, what chassis numbers has this car.

Tom206wrc
26th January 2009, 12:59
Letter from PH-Sport:
"Petter is not running with us. Sorry, but I don't have other information".

That`s all info...

So perhaps BOZIAN :confused:

Sulland
26th January 2009, 13:37
This is part of the babelfish translation of story on French rally website: WRC is Free
As announced, Solberg confirms it, it will take part in the rally of Norway at the wheel of Xsara of 2006. It is pH which will make roll the car, Norwegian will find Fx Demaison, French engineer with whom it could worked at Subaru. A press conference will be given to the day before it rally to introduce in detail the team and her partners.

Do you have a link ?

koko0703
26th January 2009, 15:20
Top spec Xsara shouldn't be too bad. I mean it won't probably anywhere near the factory drivers but should give Petter a chance to show what he's still got in himself. Colin took his Fabia to the level nobody else could do, so if Petter is still what he was couple years back, why not?

Halvis
26th January 2009, 15:58
I still think it's kinda strange that he didn't go for the Adapta possibility for Rally Norway, would have been much cheaper, and in my mind, probably a better car - considering they're free to use which dampers they want. Look at Østbergs times from Sweden last year in an older car! Maybe Petter just probably have had enough of Subaru ...

pettersolberg29
26th January 2009, 16:48
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3667&desc=Petter%20Solberg%20confirms%20Citroen%20comeb ack

I may be way behind, but here is semi-confirmation of a whole season, possibly with different cars. The Proton deal is also a possibility - as he says he has had several offers.

Sulland
26th January 2009, 17:35
I still think it's kinda strange that he didn't go for the Adapta possibility for Rally Norway, would have been much cheaper, and in my mind, probably a better car - considering they're free to use which dampers they want. Look at Østbergs times from Sweden last year in an older car! Maybe Petter just probably have had enough of Subaru ...

For some reason, I think Petter is a bit fed up with Subaru :dozey: , and want to broaden his horizon this year in prep for 2010 !

Tom206wrc
26th January 2009, 17:41
I don't believe the Sub(even S14) is superior to the old Citroën when both equally driven... :rolleyes:

A.F.F.
26th January 2009, 17:46
Rally Norway is probably the best rally this year to drive a car which is downgraded to others.

Petter might surprise us all with his result :up:

Tom206wrc
26th January 2009, 17:56
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3667&desc=Petter%20Solberg%20confirms%20Citroen%20comeb ack

I may be way behind, but here is semi-confirmation of a whole season, possibly with different cars. The Proton deal is also a possibility - as he says he has had several offers.

What car for Cyprus after Norway ??? :confused:

If he drives S2000 on several events, would he enter Pwrc ????

swordsman
26th January 2009, 18:48
Rally Norway is probably the best rally this year to drive a car which is downgraded to others.

Yep, if he gets a good road position and a lot of snow :)

Tomi
26th January 2009, 19:19

He has good chanses to get in top 6.

A.F.F.
26th January 2009, 19:27
He has good chanses to get in top 6.

I was thinking top 4.

Tomi
26th January 2009, 19:38
I was thinking top 4.

not by driving, but if there is retirements, why not.

swordsman
26th January 2009, 20:34
Maybe I'm pessimistic but I think more in top 8 or in worst case top 10...

Viking
26th January 2009, 20:39
“Okay, I know many people think I’m crazy for doing what I’m doing. Would Marcus Gronholm, Tommi Makinen or Colin McRae have done what I’m doing now? - I don’t think so,” he added. :up:

http://wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3667&desc=Petter%20Solberg%20confirms%20Citroen%20comeb ack