PDA

View Full Version : Sadler out, Allmendinger in #19 or is he ???

Jonesi
28th December 2008, 09:07
http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/12/27/ajallmendinger.gem.esadler/index.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3795001

RaceFanStan
28th December 2008, 15:20
That sucks for Elliott Sadler, he was signed through 2010 ... :s
it just shows how worthless a NASCAR driver's contract really is. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Jonesi
29th December 2008, 00:56
That sucks for Elliott Sadler, he was signed through 2010 ... :s
it just shows how worthless a NASCAR driver's contract really is. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

It may not be completely worthless. He might be paid (and very well) for the next two years for NOT driving.
Also I think he'll end up with something for next year. He's got to be on the top 2 of anyone's list for any open drive.

tstran17_88
29th December 2008, 03:45
I'm surprised it took GEM this long to rid themselves of Bologna Burger Boy.

RaceFanStan
29th December 2008, 12:35
The thing that bugs me (& probably Elliott Sadler too) is that GEM signed a contract this year
with Elliott Sadler to drive the #19 GEM Cup car through 2010 ! :eek:

MD24
29th December 2008, 15:56
Never understood why GEM gave him a contract extension.
Sadler reminds me of Jeremy Mayfield, way overated and not the sharpest tool.

RaceFanStan
29th December 2008, 22:28
After reading some of the comments here it appears to me that Elliott Sadler is UNDER-rated. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif
GEM will come to regret hiring AJ Allmenwrecker IMO. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

(Don't forget that they took most of Sadler's crew at the end of 2007 for Kahne, yet Kasey still missed the Chase !) http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Mark in Oshawa
30th December 2008, 05:09
I think this is a joke. Obviously if Sadler had any kind of agent he would have had a buy out provision that will ensure he has a nice compensation for the public screwing he just took.

I like AJ but to get a ride this way didn't do the poor guy any favours. I don't know who Gillette has making the final call there but he is a jerk. The way Patrick Carpentier was treated at Talladega in the second race was unprofessional and dumping Sadler in Late December is also classless.

No....AJ will do ok if he has any luck, and Sadler maybe wasn't the best driver but he has won 2 races in Cup, which is two more than AJ has won and Sadler didn't drive for a top team at either win. I think if they were so unsure of Sadler then they should have never resigned him in the first place. Chaos theory is ruling GEM. At this rate Kahne will be looking at better options because it is obvious that they cant stay focused at GEM.

Speedworx
31st December 2008, 19:28
GEM is merging with Petty it seems.

#9 Kahne
#10 Sadler
#19 Allmendinger
#43 Sorenson

That would be how I would line the team up.

Mark in Oshawa
1st January 2009, 08:58
I don't get it. They dump Sadler for Allmendinger who at least has proven to be improving in leaps and bounds but they keep Reed Sorenson who has been in the series for 3 years and has done little to justify a top ride.

This is about money....I think Sadler was dumped because he wasn't going to work as a galley slave while AJ can afford to after Red Bull over paid him for his services in the two seasons he has raced. AJ also did alright in Champ Car moneywise to an extent and has a great hunger. That said...I think they let the wrong guy go but dumping Sorenson after taking him from Ganassi earlier would make them look like big putz's too....

RaceFanStan
1st January 2009, 15:27
... and Sadler maybe wasn't the best driver but he has won 2 races in Cup ...
Elliott Sadler has won 3 races in Cup :
01. March 25, 2001 @ Bristol Motor Speedway in the Woods Brothers #21 Ford
02. April 04, 2004 @ Texas Motor Speedway in the Yates Racing #38 Ford
03. September 05, 2004 @ California Speedway in the Yates Racing #38 Ford

Elliott Sadler has also won 5 races in the Busch/Nationwide Series :
01. May 18, 1997 @ Nazareth Speedway in the Gary Bechtel #29 Chevrolet
02. July 12, 1997 @ Myrtle Beach Speedway in the Gary Bechtel #29 Chevrolet
03. July 26, 1997 @ Gateway International Raceway in the Gary Bechtel #29 Chevrolet
04. March 28, 1998 @ Bristol Motor Speedway in the Gary Bechtel #66 Chevrolet
05. October 31, 1998 @ (Rockingham) North Carolina Speedway in the Gary Bechtel #66 Chevrolet

Mark in Oshawa
2nd January 2009, 18:44
Stan....even better. I remembered his Texas win and the win with the Woods at Bristol. It was one of my favourite racing memories seeing a really good young driver make a win for one of the great families in racing.

ms0362
4th January 2009, 03:27
I'm not sure of the numbers, but I think Sadler was 2nd behind Hornish for wrecking cars last year. If there was a wreck, it was pretty much a given he would be in it. Looks like that reputation came back to haunt him. Strange he was given a contract extention. Obviously a tight economy has made GEM racing rethink it's 09 plans. Sadler will likely get his contract bought out (he already has a lawsuit going). Looks like the second rate teams and trucks are in his future. He won't get picked up by a major team. To many starts and not enough top fives in his history to land anything good.

RaceFanStan
5th January 2009, 03:26
As expected Elliott Sadler will sue GEM for breach of contract.
I hope Elliott Sadler wins $MILLIONS in his settlement. :D :up:

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/01/03/esadler.ajallmendinger.gem.lawsuit/index.html

Mark in Oshawa
5th January 2009, 04:09
As expected Elliott Sadler will sue GEM for breach of contract.
I hope Elliott Sadler wins $MILLIONS in his settlement. :D :up:

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/01/03/esadler.ajallmendinger.gem.lawsuit/index.html

This could be one of the more important court cases in NASCAR history. If Sadler doesn't win this one, you can be any driver making a big ticket and not performing at some point might be in for getting the heave ho with no compensation. Sadler I think would be happy if they paid him the money they offered him to resign. This makes so little sense to anyone who was paying attention that I have lost all respect for the Gillet organization. I thought resigning Sadler was only a good idea if they had faith in him. Otherwise they should have never resigned him. To do what they did here is just making themselves look like brain dead fools.

Kasey Kahne has to be watching this and wondering how long will it be before he can jump to a team with more resources. If contracts mean nothing...then take the Bud money and run.....

DanicaFan
9th January 2009, 08:21
Well, the latest news now is that Elliott Sadler will remain in the #19 car this year. He will not be replaced. Also AJ Allmendinger has never signed any contract with GEM.

So it appears that AJ will again be looking for a ride this year.

willracefan
9th January 2009, 13:26
if that's true, thats kind of good to hear, iv talked to elliot a few times on fast talk the few times i have called in, and its the only reason i dont put him down like i would mayfield or any other washed up driver because he was very cool with my harvick complaints. :D

i havent lost the computer yet or it hasnt messed up. we have two now! only a freak accident could stop that.

Mark in Oshawa
9th January 2009, 18:06
Well, the latest news now is that Elliott Sadler will remain in the #19 car this year. He will not be replaced. Also AJ Allmendinger has never signed any contract with GEM.

So it appears that AJ will again be looking for a ride this year.

That's interesting.. GEM looks pretty silly on this one. How could Elliot WANT to be there after all of this? AJ must feel left out too. Is there a link?

Mark in Oshawa
9th January 2009, 18:10
Actually the story is on Jayski that Allemendinger and his agent want a full time ride but I don't think they were crazy about being the people who kicked Sadler to the curb. Now it appears Dinger will be a part time driver for GEM on a limited basis and Sadler has his ride back.

Meanwhile Kasey Kahne must be sitting back going "mmmmmm no...I wonder who is running the shop and when is my contract up?"

DanicaFan
9th January 2009, 20:08
That's interesting.. GEM looks pretty silly on this one. How could Elliot WANT to be there after all of this? AJ must feel left out too. Is there a link?

I agree to an extent. There has to be some pride that Sadler is swallowing after this but you have to remember, he had the 2 year extension with GEM. Allmendinger never signed any contract with them.

I hope Allmendinger gets a full-time ride somewhere.

Here is a link to an article..

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/01/08/esadler.ajallmendinger.no.19.car/index.html

Mark in Oshawa
9th January 2009, 22:08
After reading the article on NASCAR.com I am of the belief that they tried to kick Sadler out and I think realized Sadler wasn't going to go away quietly and had their tender bits in a vise legally.

Allmendinger has a TON of upside that is unproven and I can understand why they want to try to hang onto him but Sadler finished 24th in points with just about all the bad luck one man can have in one season. Most of his issues this year were ones born out of team related failures as much as driver error. To let him go in the way they did and then see the quotes from GEM spokespeople saying it was a family dispute is laughable. They SCREWED UP!

Sparky1329
10th January 2009, 19:22
What a joke GEM is. I'm glad that Elliot got his job back.

ms0362
14th January 2009, 18:49
Guess they should have done their contractual and legal homework. Now he's back in. Gee.... I bet that's going to be a happy atomsphere this year. I'm sure everyone will get along just swell.

RaceFanStan
14th January 2009, 22:21
For 2007 Elliott Sadler earned $4,466,240 in prize money ...
using 50% as an expected salary, that would be $2,233,120 per year ...
then figure 2 years left on his contract, (Sadler is signed until the end of 2010) ...
GEM would have had to pay Elliott Sadler around $4.4 million to sit out of the #19. :eek:

The sponsors wanted Elliott Sadler & the bottom line is that they pay the bills. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Mark in Oshawa
18th January 2009, 01:54
Stan, what floors me is that someone at GEM thought that this was doable. They just resigned the guy in the summer with some fanfare. To dump him in December just stunk.

In interviews Elliot was giving he was downplaying them firing him and saying he brought in the lawyers to remind management he was still employed but that wasn't what was released. He was fired by GEM as far as the press releases go and Elliot is being classy and helping no one ask many more awkward questions. They stepped in it deep and it looks retarded how they can back track. That said, Elloit pointed out it still is the best option open to him since he wasn't going to find another quality ride in January 09 if he wasn't with GEM.

I just hope people in GEM learned something. The shabby way they let Carpentier go said a lot about the middle management at GEM. George and Ray are classy guys but some of the middle people need a kick up the backside and if I was running the show, someone other than Elliot would be looking for work this week....