PDA

View Full Version : RLR to take over FBMW Americas operations

Placid
25th December 2008, 22:33
With the success of Alexander Rossi of Nevada City, California by winning the World Final in Mexico City, Rahal-Letterman Racing has officially taken over the Formula BMW America series beginning January 1st. With his announcement in entering the GT2 category in the ALMS, Rahal-Letterman will oversee the Formula BMW America series in 2009.

http://www.rahal.com/content/view/article/1142

Mark in Oshawa
29th December 2008, 01:15
I suppose it matters but to be honest, With Formula Mazda, Formula Atlantic, Formula Fords and 2000's, Indy Lights and FBMW's all pushing drivers forward, it is not only hard to keep track of all these feeder series but in the end, I think they clutter up the view of who is coming forward with talent. With all these series, I think the impact of being the champion of one or the other is sometimes lost.

Cart750hp
29th December 2008, 05:47
I suppose it matters but to be honest, With Formula Mazda, Formula Atlantic, Formula Fords and 2000's, Indy Lights and FBMW's all pushing drivers forward, it is not only hard to keep track of all these feeder series but in the end, I think they clutter up the view of who is coming forward with talent. With all these series, I think the impact of being the champion of one or the other is sometimes lost.

I agree. Just like NFL, they draft players from College and CFL. MLB draft their players from College, minor league and international series. NBA from College, D-Leagues, high school (I think it's banned now), and other international series. Tons of players but it's much more organized than racing. In open-wheel alone....there's tons of them. New fans would probably sit on Google all week learning what is NASCAR Cup, CART, NHRA, IRL, IRL Lite, NASCAR Craftsman, NASCAR Busch, Fomula Ford, Formula Nippon, Formula BMW, Le Mans, Speed World, Formula Atlantic, Formula Mazda, Sprint, Outlaws, GP2, Rolex, KARTing, A1GP, F1, F3000, F this and F that! What in the world? No wonder, not much are interested in racing as much as ball games. It's not that people are not interested in racing and technology but it's more of the darn confusion.

Mark in Oshawa
1st January 2009, 08:34
CART...it is the same reason we didn't need two leagues at the top of American racing in 1995. We now have one...but there is a lot of lost ground in the marketing world that needs to be made up and having 4 different ladders below the IRL isn't helping identify stars...

Easy Drifter
1st January 2009, 14:05
I only partly agree. If there was a clearly defined progression, without overlap, it would be fine. FF to F2000 is a clear step up. FBMW and FMazda are the next step but they clash as does FA with Indy lights on the final step to top line racing. Mazda are the engine in FA, although they are Cosworths so that is a logical step. Of course Indy Lights is TG's baby so he wants nothing to do with Atlantics.
Solution? Darned if I know.