PDA

View Full Version : End of year awards

wedge
22nd December 2008, 12:16
Best driver?

Hamilton - for being the worthy WDC on account of some of his magnificent come back drives in Spa (not taking account of his penalty), Monaco and Germany.

Alonso showed why he's the best overall driver on the grid in the vastly inferior Renault

Best car?

Hard to decide since the McLaren and Ferrari had their strengths and weaknesses but I give it to Ferrari - only just - on the the account that Hamilton struggled with his car a bit during the first quarter with Bahrain being a good example and Ferrari having slightly better aero during the same period.

Best team?

Renault. Although Piquet was the missing the link in the chain and Alonso took most credit, overall I applaud the guys putting in the hard work in the factory and whilst having to compromise the '09 car into the work schedule. Not to mention some canny pit strategies to take advantage of the silly SC rules.

Race of the year?

Brazil & Spa

Drive of the year?

Undoubtedly Hamilton at Silverstone - made everyone look like monkeys on inters. Rubens did a great job that day as well but he took on full wets at the end and there's nothing harder in racing than to drive a car in inters on a wet track.

Vettel deserves praise for his stunning victory at Monza and Sutil at Monaco. Huge pity after being wiped out by Kimi.

Overtaking of the year?

Massa overtaking Hamilton on the outside of T1 at Hungary

Battle of the year?

Kovy vs. Hamilton at Silverstone. Kovy holds off Hamilton at the first corner at the start of the race. Hamilton nearly took out his team mate and Kovy fantastically held it together.

Team principal of the year?

I suppose I award it to Ron Dennis for finally clinching WDC with Hamilton

Technical Director of the year?

Bob Bell/Renault, and Neil Oatly/McLaren. Both deserve praise for their continuous updates on their respective cars but I'll give it Giorgio Ascanelli for turning the STR from minnows to getting the best out of the Ferrari-Red Bull package and deserved victory at Monza.