PDA

View Full Version : Other series (o/t a bit)

hmmm - donuts
20th December 2008, 08:35
This year, due to credit crunch worries and the high price of a Silverstone grandstand seat, I've decided my money could be better spent on attending other series. That way I get to see more races and if I go to less than ,say, seven or eight meetings I also spend less money.

Question is what to see? Obvious contenders are DTM, BTCC, F3, FPA, Britcar.

Just interested to see what other suggestions people had.

Thanks

philipbain
20th December 2008, 09:04
I never attend Grand Prix as its shockingly bad value for money. I personally go to hillclimbs, the technology on show has the sophistication of F1 (indeed F1 & Champ Car engines are de rigeur in the unlimited single seater class) yet the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly with the opportunity to view the cars close up (in both the paddock and on the hills) and the drivers are very approachable. Add in the fact that entry is anywhere between £10 and £20 and you can do a whole season (based on attending half a dozen or so events) for less than the price of a general admission to a practice day of a Grand Prix!

Mach24
20th December 2008, 09:14
British Superbike Championship!

Or your local round of World Superbike or MotoGP!

20th December 2008, 09:59
World Series by Renault.

Tickets are free.

Donney
20th December 2008, 11:30
BTCC

Dave B
20th December 2008, 14:01
I'd (obviously) nominate the BTCC. Big enough crowds to give a decent atmosphere but not so rammed as to ruin your day out; plus reasonable ticket prices, packed support programme, enthusiastic garageistas mixing with world-class drivers, good geographical spread, and good TV coverage if you want to follow the whole season.

rob01
20th December 2008, 17:28
i would've said the britcar 24hr race but....
its got to be BTCC, F3/GT or BRC which is great to watch.

aryan
21st December 2008, 02:09
Any Aussies wanna join this conversation?

I too am skipping GP this year. The Melbourne GP tickets range from $450 to $850. It's simply too much in my opinion?

But what other options do I have to watch some good motorsoprt? Anything interesting in Victoria?

ShiftingGears
21st December 2008, 09:59

I too am skipping GP this year. The Melbourne GP tickets range from $450 to $850. It's simply too much in my opinion?

But what other options do I have to watch some good motorsoprt? Anything interesting in Victoria?

V8 supercars? MotoGP?

millencolin
21st December 2008, 11:06
Indy... yes its an A1 event but its still known as indy to us drunks, i mean... race fans

wedge
21st December 2008, 13:08
The highlights of the racing year for me in terms of attendance are the enduros whether its FIA GT, LMS, Brit GTs or the Britcar/Silverstone 24hrs

patnicholls
22nd December 2008, 23:42
World Superbikes.

32 riders already lined up for this year's series and more to come with five Brits, two new manufacturers entering (BMW and Aprilia), fantastic support series, superbly-run and featuring the best racing around. [Credit crunch?]

[unfortunately, only one British round this year and - sob - I'm missing it as am at Glastonbury, but am hopefully going out to Portimao in Portgual instead]

Other than that, I've been to most things. MotoGP and BSB, BTCC, F3/GT is a good package, WSbR is free and you'll see the odd future F1 star - plenty to go at.

Rusty Spanner
23rd December 2008, 11:20
BTRA at Brands – Big trucks, small circuit, big entertainment.

European Drag Racing @ Santa Pod – For shear noise and horsepower it can’t be beaten.

DTM – Proper touring cars. You might not get the same level of physical racing as the BTCC but you do get V8 engines!

Ranger
23rd December 2008, 12:42

Anything at Phillip Island would have me sold. :up:

Sarah
23rd December 2008, 14:53
I've been to a couple of GPs in the past 2 years and it is too much money to spend. I would recommend the BTCC.

raybak
23rd December 2008, 22:17

We can set you up with some nice private spectator points during the Victorian Rally Championship. Or if you wanted to d a start or finish control you would get even closer to the action.

PM me for info.

Cheers

Ray

markabilly
24th December 2008, 13:10
World superbikes, YES

I enjoyed them more at Seca then motogp, and given the choice between the motogp there now and the double race superbikes, would go with the Superbikes!!!!

ChrisS
24th December 2008, 15:20
motorsportvision offers season passes for all events on their circuits, their "Four Wheel Pass" looks like a good deal, 2 BTCC races, British F3/GT, A1GP, DTM, F2 and WTCC at Brands Hatch, BTCC and British F3/GT at Snetterton, BTCC and British F3/GT at Oulton Park, plus various other events.