PDA

View Full Version : What?! Edwards beat Schumacher?

Chaparral66
15th December 2008, 20:44
Did I read that right? Carl Edwards beat 7 time World F1 Champ Michael Schumacher at the ROC? Yikes, next someone will be saying Tom Cruise put Jeff Gordon in the wall...

NickFalzone
16th December 2008, 01:52
Not sure if you're joking or not, but it was Tony Schumacher, NHRA. Either way, although I like Edwards, he did not deserve driver of the year. Um, how about giving it to the guy that won Cup. Or Dixon who had an outstanding season.

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2008, 05:32
Chapp....Edwards can beat anyone anywhere...and the cars in the ROC are more akin to what Carl wrestles with than what Mikey used to drive....

Lee Roy
16th December 2008, 14:12
Did I read that right? Carl Edwards beat 7 time World F1 Champ Michael Schumacher at the ROC?

Was there ever any doubt?

rob01
16th December 2008, 14:30
Chapp....Edwards can beat anyone anywhere...and the cars in the ROC are more akin to what Carl wrestles with than what Mikey used to drive....

Focus WRC, KTM X-Bow Abarth 500 Assetto Corse more like what NASCAR
driver Carl Edwards is used to compared to Schumacher?

how'd you work that one out?!!!

Mihai
16th December 2008, 19:54
Edwards defeated Schumacher only in the Fiat Abarth 500. Mickey said he felt uncomfortable in that car (which is rather ironic, thinking that the car is made by the parent company of his former & current employer Ferrari).

When Carl finished the race, I expected him to do the backflip !!!

carracing
17th December 2008, 08:09
Was there ever any doubt?

Um... yeah. lol We're talking Schumacher here! :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
17th December 2008, 08:56
Focus WRC, KTM X-Bow Abarth 500 Assetto Corse more like what NASCAR
driver Carl Edwards is used to compared to Schumacher?

how'd you work that one out?!!!

Ok..maybe not but you have to also remember Edwards grew up on Quarter midgets and midget cars. Also, in the case of the Focus, it is a "stock" car after a fashion and handles better than his Cup car for sure.

Schuey is an open wheel guy....maybe driving tin tops isn't quite in his DNA. That said...after seeing the KTM and the Abarth as two of the cars in question....I do wonder. Every time I have seen highlights of this thing you see rally cars and some sort of buggy. I am thinking an F1 pilot would have a larger adjustment to the lack of power and the fact the cars roll and slide.

Sliding and rolling sums up the crappy handling of your average stock car.

Lee Roy
17th December 2008, 12:43
I guess there's always some kind of excuse.

BTW, Schumacher and Vettle won the nation's cup portion. He seemed to do okay in that competition.

RaceFanStan
17th December 2008, 12:48
A win is a win, no matter what slant some people choose to put on it. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
WTG Carl Edwards !!! :D :up:

Mark in Oshawa
17th December 2008, 16:07
Lets face the reality. This ROC thing is a bit of lark really.....what I would LOVE to see is Edwards or Shrubbie get an f1 test (Shrub was to get a joy ride at least in the Toyota f1 car and had to cancel) of some sort.

People always knock stock car drivers for being one dimensional but this generation of Sprint Cup guys really seem to have some abilities that trancend just driving stock cars. Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are the most obvious multi-genre capable guys in NASCAR but I think Edwards is so wired that he could make anything on any track go fast. Ditto for Kyle Busch.....

rob01
17th December 2008, 18:07
im wasnt saying he's a bad driver just that schumacher has raced a few different things in his time so if IMO i reckon schumacher is probs a better all round driver.

inimitablestoo
17th December 2008, 19:39
I saw a picture of a couple of the Fiat 500s on the NASCAR.com website today and wondered if it was part of a NASCAR Plan B, in case all the big US manufacturers go belly-up ;)

El Sween
17th December 2008, 20:52
I was there and it was a brilliant moment. Well done Carl.

F1boat
17th December 2008, 21:21
Well done, Edwards!

call_me_andrew
18th December 2008, 04:31
Most impressive.

wedge
18th December 2008, 13:05
Would love to see NASCAR drivers try their hand at rallying.

harvick#1
18th December 2008, 15:35
but in the end, Sebastien still kicked everyones asses :p :

Mihai
18th December 2008, 18:46
Would love to see NASCAR drivers try their hand at rallying.

Last summer during Central Europe Rally, I got Robby Gordon on tape saying to me "I'm ready for the WRC"

wedge
18th December 2008, 23:14
Last summer during Central Europe Rally, I got Robby Gordon on tape saying to me "I'm ready for the WRC"

Apart from Robby Gordon I meant the regulars who grew up on sprints and midgets

rob01
19th December 2008, 14:17
it would be interesting to watch but with the risk of upsetting some people i think it would turn into a crash fest =P

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2008, 02:33
Robby Gordon is quite capable of being his own crashfest....