PDA

View Full Version : If I were Fernando Alonso...

Areez2006
14th December 2008, 18:37
...honestly, I would just stay at Renault for a WHILE, because every other move seems to not work. If he would have gone to Honda like they'd have asked, he wouldn't have a drive for 2009. I don't understand why Honda would ask for someone like Alonso only to go belly-up after he didn't sign (hmm...). After watching the 2007 Review DVD, he really doesn't need another teammate that would give him a hard time if he was constantly asking Ron to let Lewis let him by at Indianapolis 2007. Im sure a drive at Ferrari or BMW would be just as bad, so why not stay at a team that has the resources to build a car around him and give him #1 status? I truly believe Renault could give him at LEAST 1 more championship, and maybe more if they get it right. I think drivers get caught up in the notion that you have to drive for Ferrari or you'll never be anybody, plus Alonso said it himself you never know who will be at the top next season. I think Alonso is an extraordinary driver, but he needs that #1 status and that's ok, but I think it will work best at Renault.

gloomyDAY
14th December 2008, 19:12
....I'd stop being an asshole?

Seriously, he's fine at Renault. They love him at that Regie.
I'm sure Alonso will be a contender for the title next season.

Tazio
14th December 2008, 19:54
...honestly, I would just stay at Renault for a WHILE, because every other move seems to not work. He's made one move that "didn't work"
...If he would have gone to Honda like they'd have asked, he wouldn't have a drive for 2009.. :laugh: :laugh: Do you really believe that? Personnaly I believe that if Fred went, Honda would still have a team!
...I don't understand why Honda would ask for someone like Alonso only to go belly-up after he didn't sign (hmm...)Now you know! ;)
After watching the 2007 Review DVD, he really doesn't need another teammate that would give him a hard time if he was constantly asking Ron to let Lewis let him by at Indianapolis 2007. Im sure a drive at Ferrari or BMW would be just as bad, Painting with kind of a broad brush there, aren't you.
Is that all there was to the "Saga of Fred and Lewis at McLaren 2007"? :confused:
I think drivers get caught up in the notion that you have to drive for Ferrari or you'll never be anybody. He is the most accomplished driver in F1 with 2 WDC
I think it is a forgone coclusion that he already is "Somebody"!

but I think it will work best at Renault.
I'm sure many followers of F1 will agree! However It's Fred's call!

Rollo
15th December 2008, 02:47
If I was Alonso, I'd be inclined to ask Renault to build an S2000 car and have a tilt at the WTCC. Because the way Renault have been leaning what with them and Nissan hovering over the carcass of Chrysler, the F1 program might not be long for this world.

Adding a WTCC crown to his bow, might in the long term make his employment prospects a bit brighter. Plus, it might give him the chance to stick one right up Mercedes-Benz.

gloomyDAY
15th December 2008, 05:23
If I was Alonso, I'd be inclined to ask Renault to build an S2000 car and have a tilt at the WTCC. Because the way Renault have been leaning what with them and Nissan hovering over the carcass of Chrysler, the F1 program might not be long for this world.

Adding a WTCC crown to his bow, might in the long term make his employment prospects a bit brighter. Plus, it might give him the chance to stick one right up Mercedes-Benz.If you were Alonso you would ask Renault to build you an S2K? :confused:

Wait, I think you should run that by me one more time.

ShiftingGears
15th December 2008, 06:10
Adding a WTCC crown to his bow, might in the long term make his employment prospects a bit brighter. Plus, it might give him the chance to stick one right up Mercedes-Benz.

Yes, that highly revered series.

PolePosition_1
15th December 2008, 08:28
I don't think Alonso needs number 1 status within a team. At Renault, he has gone into every season as equals, this can be seen with Fisichella at the team, where he would often win a race at beginning of the season, only to fall throughout the season, where the team would support driver in best position.

I think what got his nose up at McLaren is that Ron Dennis, persuaded him to move to McLaren, on condition they'd produce amazing car, which they did, and that with Lewis as his partner, he would play a supporting act. So for when he did arrive, not only did they give Lewis an equal chance, they had more affection for him, and this led him to believe they favoured him, and considering some of the quotes which came out from Ron Dennis, I'd have to say I don't blame him.

If McLaren had told Alonso he would be racing Lewis, as equal number 1s, and how fond they are of Lewis, I don't think they'd have had that problem.

Though in McLaren's defence, they weren't meant to know of just how good Lewis was going to be, and at time of signing Alonso, he was a huge coup to the team, who to be fair weren't doing brilliantly.

wedge
15th December 2008, 11:51
I don't think Alonso needs number 1 status within a team. At Renault, he has gone into every season as equals, this can be seen with Fisichella at the team, where he would often win a race at beginning of the season, only to fall throughout the season, where the team would support driver in best position.

I think what got his nose up at McLaren is that Ron Dennis, persuaded him to move to McLaren, on condition they'd produce amazing car, which they did, and that with Lewis as his partner, he would play a supporting act. So for when he did arrive, not only did they give Lewis an equal chance, they had more affection for him, and this led him to believe they favoured him, and considering some of the quotes which came out from Ron Dennis, I'd have to say I don't blame him.

If McLaren had told Alonso he would be racing Lewis, as equal number 1s, and how fond they are of Lewis, I don't think they'd have had that problem.

Though in McLaren's defence, they weren't meant to know of just how good Lewis was going to be, and at time of signing Alonso, he was a huge coup to the team, who to be fair weren't doing brilliantly.

True but the top drivers are ultra ultra competitive. They hate losing so much that it gets to the point where they do whatever it takes to win.

PolePosition_1
15th December 2008, 12:00
True but the top drivers are ultra ultra competitive. They hate losing so much that it gets to the point where they do whatever it takes to win.

I agree with what you say.

I'm just pointing out what I understand to be the events of 2007. As now whenever I see a comment with regards to Alonso and his future options, they tend to state he needs to have number 1 status, which simply isn't the case.

jens
15th December 2008, 18:26
The current situation of F1 and the future outlooks of it are so unclear that it is difficult to guess, which decision could be the best one, also from FA's point of view. In the original post it was mentioned that joining Honda would have been a bad move, because he would have been out of drive for 2009. Well, Renault might do exactly the same in a short future and in that case this "safe and good long-term bet" has gone to bust. Arguably one of the reasons, why Alonso left Renault, was exactly their unclear future, especially in the end of 2005.

After watching the 2007 Review DVD, he really doesn't need another teammate that would give him a hard time if he was constantly asking Ron to let Lewis let him by at Indianapolis 2007.

Did this really happen?

MrJan
15th December 2008, 18:36
If I was Fernando Alonso I'd be rich :D :D :D

wedge
15th December 2008, 23:51
Did this really happen?

Unless you interpreted it differently, one of the key moments during the race was when Alonso swerved close to the McLaren pitwall to show his displeasure to the team for not implementing team orders to his liking.

ioan
16th December 2008, 08:19
If I was Fernando Alonso I'd be rich :D :D :D

Excellent! :up:

Big Ben
16th December 2008, 12:28
I wouldn't be here reading this probably.

jso1985
18th December 2008, 20:46
Unless you interpreted it differently, one of the key moments during the race was when Alonso swerved close to the McLaren pitwall to show his displeasure to the team for not implementing team orders to his liking.

and it's a matter of interpretation! cuause I thought he was just "venting" his anger about Hamilton playing dirty with him and not necesarily asking for a team order to let him pass.

Rollo
18th December 2008, 21:35
If you were Alonso you would ask Renault to build you an S2K? :confused:
Wait, I think you should run that by me one more time.

In the light of Honda effectively pulling two teams from F1 in 2008, both Subaru and Suzuki canning their WRC programs, it seems obvious to me that money is tight.

If Button had asked Honda to build him an S2K car he'd currently have a job as opposed to living in chav land. Remember that apart from Renault, the primary sponsor is ING who recently accepted a €10 billion capital injection from the Dutch government. Does the Dutch Government really want to play with an F1 team?

When you consider that Renault itself is only running at a margin of 6%, there is a very real quick way of cutting costs... so the idea is not that stupid.

driveace
18th December 2008, 21:55
If I were Fernando I would be happy wearing the suit I am in.I think that he has as good a chance as any top driver of getting another world championship with Renault.Maybe Massa will be the one to beat in 09,if he learns to keep it on the terra ferma when it rains,as he looked frustrated and dangerous in the rain at Silverstone
Fernando,s frustration at Mclaren was due to the fact that he honestly believed that it was his hard work in testing in Spain pre season that got the Mclaren quicker only for Mclaren to favour Hamilton

Tallgeese
24th December 2008, 20:56
If I were Fernando Alonso I'd stick to Renault & hope to join Ferrari by 2011, or 2010 at the earliest. Honestly, who doesn't want to be with the Scuderia?

rob01
25th December 2008, 01:53
if i were alonso i wouldnt give a crap what you all think cus id be stinking rich! but i would get a hair cut!

26th December 2008, 13:56
I'd have enormous eyebrows.

Ranger
28th December 2008, 12:00
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/72582

Looks like now the Italian press are on the Alonso-to-Ferrari bandwagon. Starting 2011.

Tazio
28th December 2008, 14:39
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/72582

"A Ferrari spokesman declined to comment on the Gazzetta report, but told news agency Reuters: “We can only repeat that we have two drivers signed to the end of 2010."

Translation:
"It's a done deal"