PDA

View Full Version : Ross Brawn confirms Honda MAY INFACT still supply engines in 2009!

Giuseppe F1
11th December 2008, 20:16
This an excerpt from an Autosport Magazine Q&A exclusive in today's (December 11 2008) Autosport magazine:

Q:

Honda is willing to supply unbadged engines, while Ferrari has been mentioned, are there no problems on engine supply?

Ross Brawn A:

At the FOTA meeting there was definately a spirit to help the team. I think this is a different situation to one or two of the teams who have dissapeared recently, and certainly different to Super Aguri. I dont think any of the other manufacturers want to see another team go down, so quite frankly any of the major manufacturers will be wiling to at least discuss an engine supply for the future.
We'll start some discussions with them and see what they can do. Honda have kindly started to study whether they can supply engines. Although its not their prefered choice, it could be a lifeline - a willing partner

Valve Bounce
11th December 2008, 21:57
Yeah! they have a bunch of second hand engines repossesed from Super Aguri. For a small extra, Honda will upgrade them to Honda 2008 spec.

RWD
11th December 2008, 22:26
they have the engines, so I never understood why Honda wanted out completly. they should do what they did in the 90's early 00's and get Mugen to do the work with Hondas 08 engine.

Jag_Warrior
12th December 2008, 03:12
I'm sure I'm missing something. But since this is said to be an "unbadged" engine, I assume that means no $upport. So why would anyone sign up for a lump from Honda... especially if there is no money behind it?

Mark
12th December 2008, 07:36
So I'm sure by this point Honda have a car if not already built, the designs are in place and ready to go. The team personel is still in place, I guess for the moment at least. And they have a supply of engines. So it looks like quite an attractive proposition if someone wants to buy the team. They're all set for 2009.

leopard
12th December 2008, 07:40
amien to that, Mark.

Valve Bounce
12th December 2008, 08:31
So I'm sure by this point Honda have a car if not already built, the designs are in place and ready to go. The team personel is still in place, I guess for the moment at least. And they have a supply of engines. So it looks like quite an attractive proposition if someone wants to buy the team. They're all set for 2009.

Maybe Super Aguri will come to the party??

OK!! maybe not!! :(

Knock-on
12th December 2008, 09:37

Do you know what? This is what's confused me.

It's like a party. The invites have all been sent, the room decorated, all the food and booze brought. All they have to do is turn up and pay for the clear-up afterwards.

Honda already have significant commitment to the team for next year and it would almost be easier to race for 2009 than fold?

PolePosition_1
12th December 2008, 09:52

OK!! maybe not!! :(

:rotflmao:

ioan
12th December 2008, 10:01

And fire Fry, or hand him a brum and tell him to start his new job as well as he can! :D

One can dream! :)

Mark
12th December 2008, 11:32

It's like a party. The invites have all been sent, the room decorated, all the food and booze brought. All they have to do is turn up and pay for the clear-up afterwards.

Honda already have significant commitment to the team for next year and it would almost be easier to race for 2009 than fold?

Such is the way with corporate business, things have to happen now, doesn't matter that an investment has already been made.

Like many companies that spend millions building factories then close them 2 months later..

Valve Bounce
12th December 2008, 11:46

Let me explain, seriously, I promise. Honda sales are seriously down worldwide, their share price has plummeted, the share holders are angry. In addition, there have been layoffs of Honda's workers - ostensibly the most loyal workers in any corporate company in the world. It is impossible for Honda to justify spending hundreds of millions to continue their F1 campaign, especially when the only team they managed to finish ahead of was Force India - a "private" team.

Their company President and CEO had no choice but to pull out of F1. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72322

Knock-on
12th December 2008, 12:01
Let me explain, seriously, I promise. Honda sales are seriously down worldwide, their share price has plummeted, the share holders are angry. In addition, there have been layoffs of Honda's workers - ostensibly the most loyal workers in any corporate company in the world. It is impossible for Honda to justify spending hundreds of millions to continue their F1 campaign, especially when the only team they managed to finish ahead of was Force India - a "private" team.

Their company President and CEO had no choice but to pull out of F1. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72322

Thanks for the Janet and John but I think I know all that.

Now, let me explain why I'm a little confused, seriously.

Honda are offloading Hf1 for the minimum consideration which is £1. (legal term, look it up)

They have contracts in place which they cannot just write off if no owner is found. They have just signed a £24m contract with a driver which is still legally binding.

Whether the impression of limping out of F1 as they are doing is better or worse to the corporate image than restructuring the team is a matter for debate.

It is argued that the amount of money necessary to complete the season is not much different to their liability. There is also the new atmosphere of concord that suggests costs for 2009 might be even more manageable.

Couple this with a motivated team, a rumoured competitive car, experienced design and race team and it makes the decision all the more knee jerk.

It doesn't make sense.

Mark
12th December 2008, 12:15
It doesn't make sense.

They could do what Citroen did in the WRC. Officially pull out but have the same cars run by a 'private' team, before returning as a manufacturer the following year.

Bagwan
12th December 2008, 12:31
Will Honda be reconsidering the decision , now that the new rules are set ?

A softening of the "totally out" scenario is already on the cards with the suggestion that supplying engines might be considered .

If the new playing field that the rest of them see as sustainable , really is , then why would Honda not be in re-think mode ?

Knock-on
12th December 2008, 13:39
They could do what Citroen did in the WRC. Officially pull out but have the same cars run by a 'private' team, before returning as a manufacturer the following year.

Will Honda be reconsidering the decision , now that the new rules are set ?

A softening of the "totally out" scenario is already on the cards with the suggestion that supplying engines might be considered .

If the new playing field that the rest of them see as sustainable , really is , then why would Honda not be in re-think mode ?

You know what. This was going through my mind yesterday.

It would almost be poetic justice if Honda "did a maxy" and pulled out to force a step change and then stepped back in.

It's inconceivable isn't it?

Mark
12th December 2008, 13:47
You know what. This was going through my mind yesterday.

It would almost be poetic justice if Honda "did a maxy" and pulled out to force a step change and then stepped back in.

It's inconceivable isn't it?

They won't rejoin as a full team but if someone else does buy the Honda racing team, and keeps a 'customer' supply of Honda engines during that time. I can well see Honda returning within 2 years as an engine supplier for that team. As engines will be a pretty standard and cheap component they could argue that being an engine supplier is very good value for money.

They've done customer engines before supplying Mugen engines to Leiger.

Schumacher-Honda anyone? :p

Knock-on
12th December 2008, 14:16
They won't rejoin as a full team but if someone else does buy the Honda racing team, and keeps a 'customer' supply of Honda engines during that time. I can well see Honda returning within 2 years as an engine supplier for that team. As engines will be a pretty standard and cheap component they could argue that being an engine supplier is very good value for money.

They've done customer engines before supplying Mugen engines to Leiger.

Schumacher-Honda anyone? :p

Schumacher Honda would be a lot more preferential than Prodrive Honda to the Japanese masters :)

Honda were always great engine manufacturers and you could well be right.

gshevlin
12th December 2008, 18:50
I cannot see Honda staying as an engine supplier. Their 2008 engine was reckoned to be significantly down on power relative to the front-running engines (possibly as much as 50 bhp depending on which magazine you read), so it would need significant development (oops, sorry, to be competitive in 2009. Running an unbadged 2008 spec Honda unit would be a short-cut to oblivion for any team.
Honda wants to basically eliminate F1 spending in 2009, not perpetuate it.

Valve Bounce
12th December 2008, 21:25
Couple this with a motivated team, a rumoured competitive car, experienced design and race team and it makes the decision all the more knee jerk.

It doesn't make sense.

Unfortunately, Aguri San isn't too keen to jump back into the snake pit.