PDA

View Full Version : Testing at Jerez, Spain pictures from December 09-11

Birdman5700
11th December 2008, 15:12
http://www.formula1.com/gallery/testing/2008/335.html This is the first time I've seen the McLaren with its 09 front wing and I think they made theirs a lot nicer looking compared to the BMW and Williams.

Also what is that device on the wheel of Pedro De La Rosa? (Image #43 of 56) Is it just a more aerodynamic version of their old wheel covers? It looks like it could sever a tire easily if damaged.

Bagwan
11th December 2008, 17:30
Welcome , Birdman .

It looks to me like it would match up with the rear end of the wingplate , when the wheel is in the turned position , giving an extra drag on the inside of the car .
The angle also seems like it would have little or no effect with the wheel turned the other way .

Given that the two sides in the turned state would would have different effect , it would seem that this could not be considered cooling for the brakes , but rather , as you mention , an "aerodynamic version" , or to put it a slightly different way , a "moveable aerodynamic device" .
Now , I guess the front wings are now moveable , but does this fall under that category ?

Powered by Cosworth
11th December 2008, 18:29
It's just some sort of sensor used in testing only iirc.

Powered by Cosworth
11th December 2008, 18:34
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/92121.jpg
There's a photo of the one they used while testing in Feb this year.

Allyc85
11th December 2008, 23:30
Im sure I read that its used to read side wall flex or something like that. Dont shoot me or spank me if im wrong as I know some F1 fans take these things as life of death...

markabilly
12th December 2008, 03:10
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/92121.jpg
There's a photo of the one they used while testing in Feb this year.

They are based on those attachments to the wheels of chariots in Ben Hur for use by mac in close charriot racing.....the small print at the top that is barely legible, on the right side says "here's to you ferrari" ......and on the left wheel says, "bend over freddie"

Im sure I read that its used to read side wall flex or something like that. Dont shoot me or spank me if im wrong as I know some F1 fans take these things as life of death...

Okay, just hold this.. :bomb: and smile.... :grenade:

AussieV8
12th December 2008, 04:33
I think the only reason the front wing looks a little better on the McLaren is because they are still using the 2008 rear wing. If there was one of the pathetically narrow 2009 rear wings on the car, it would look as out of proportion as the rest of them.

The whole problem with the look of the 2009 car is the rear wing. It's too narrow and too high. The 2008 wing is much lower and wider. IMHO it makes the car look sleek and faster. The new rear wing makes F1 look like amateur hour.

For 2009, why didn't they simply ban the use of all the small aerodynamic devices, reduce the number of elements in the wings and keep the basic appearance the same.

Knock-on
12th December 2008, 09:39

Max is on his way round with a collection of paddles and they're not to propel you out of a creek :D

Do you think Maxy Boy was doing a Freddie with the vacuum cleaner when the eureka moment for front wing design hit him?

http://enuti.com.ua/graphics/napoln/Kirby_Sentria_index2.jpg

Big Ben
16th December 2008, 12:47
For 2009, why didn't they simply ban the use of all the small aerodynamic devices, reduce the number of elements in the wings and keep the basic appearance the same.

because it would be too simple, too logical...

aryan
16th December 2008, 13:07
I think the only reason the front wing looks a little better on the McLaren is because they are still using the 2008 rear wing. If there was one of the pathetically narrow 2009 rear wings on the car, it would look as out of proportion as the rest of them.

The whole problem with the look of the 2009 car is the rear wing. It's too narrow and too high. The 2008 wing is much lower and wider. IMHO it makes the car look sleek and faster. The new rear wing makes F1 look like amateur hour.

Well, which one do you want to see? Better racing, including cars being able to follow each other relatively closely, or nice shiny rear spoilers?

Personally, I'd prefer the second one, thanks you very much. In fact, I'd get rid of the rear spoiler if I could (I know... marketing... marketing...).

aryan
16th December 2008, 13:11
because it would be too simple, too logical...

No, because those those wings are the single reason creating dirty air, not allowing cars to follow each other.

They came with with the split-wing solution... we hated it, so they had to settle on this.

You do realise that the only reason these new wings look odd, is because we have been conditioned to the former wider ones. If wings had looked like this since day one, no one would raise an eyebrow. And guess what? By GP #3 in the calendar, no one will bother thinking about them again.

What's wrong with F1 fans? Can't we just accept something good?

Big Ben
16th December 2008, 19:57
No, because those those wings are the single reason creating dirty air, not allowing cars to follow each other.

They came with with the split-wing solution... we hated it, so they had to settle on this.

You do realise that the only reason these new wings look odd, is because we have been conditioned to the former wider ones. If wings had looked like this since day one, no one would raise an eyebrow. And guess what? By GP #3 in the calendar, no one will bother thinking about them again.

I thought he said they should have banned all those little wings and make the front and the rear wing more simple while keeping their current size. IŽm not an expert in aerodynamics but I think that would reduce downforce... probably

and btw this abundence of overtaking is still to come. IŽd say you shouldnŽt hold your breath

ioan
17th December 2008, 12:45

From my experience on the F1 forums and also in real life, most of the people try to oppose changes instead of trying to use them in their own interest. It's some kind of psychological inertia fueled by fear.

aryan
17th December 2008, 16:06
From my experience on the F1 forums and also in real life, most of the people try to oppose changes instead of trying to use them in their own interest. It's some kind of psychological inertia fueled by fear.

I know. I've dealt with this in my own field as well (IT). Every new project that you want to role out in a new organisation faces stiff opposition from everyone who uses the current system. Doesn't matter if they were against the current system as well when it was new a couple of years ago.

When I went to uni, I remember a professor who was teaching us Project Management telling us right at the start: PEOPLE HATE CHANGE. It seems that is true in F1 as well.

jens
17th December 2008, 17:23

I know. I've dealt with this in my own field as well (IT). Every new project that you want to role out in a new organisation faces stiff opposition from everyone who uses the current system. Doesn't matter if they were against the current system as well when it was new a couple of years ago.

When I went to uni, I remember a professor who was teaching us Project Management telling us right at the start: PEOPLE HATE CHANGE. It seems that is true in F1 as well.

Good thoughts, mates. :)

As for new cars, I don't have a problem with the rear wing, but no matter how I look at the front wing, it is just too wide. It's as wide - if not wider - than the car itself. I don't think in open-wheel racing some kind of details should extend wider than the wheels itself. The thought about this creates a vision like let's build a 5-meter-wide pipe, so no-one can pass from either side... :p :

BDunnell
17th December 2008, 17:29

:up:

What I dislike more than that, though, are two things: change for change's sake, and the way in which negative things like service cutbacks are portrayed in bland corporate-speak as positive changes.

aryan
17th December 2008, 18:25
:up:

What I dislike more than that, though, are two things: change for change's sake, and the way in which negative things like service cutbacks are portrayed in bland corporate-speak as positive changes.

You have my sympathy on both counts :)

Definitely I was not trying to say that all change is good.

Big Ben
18th December 2008, 10:36

whatever... let them change everything every year.

reversed grids, medals, candies , belts, spanks for the losers, bombs on cars, sprinklers, snow machines, points for poles, for leading

forgive for being so narrow minded... i forgot just how much I enjoy f1 the way it is now and the glorious results of all the changes made in the last few years...

I don't really care much for changes made by morons

ioan
18th December 2008, 20:42
Good thoughts, mates. :)

As for new cars, I don't have a problem with the rear wing, but no matter how I look at the front wing, it is just too wide. It's as wide - if not wider - than the car itself. I don't think in open-wheel racing some kind of details should extend wider than the wheels itself. The thought about this creates a vision like let's build a 5-meter-wide pipe, so no-one can pass from either side... :p :

If I'm not mistaken than the front wing isn't wider than the car (or the cars track i.e. distance between right and left wheel extremities).

ArrowsFA1
18th December 2008, 21:14
Definitely I was not trying to say that all change is good.
But it is inevitable :s mokin: