PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton wins International Driver of the Year for a 2nd year running,

Knock-on
8th December 2008, 15:38
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72395

ArrowsFA1
8th December 2008, 15:45
Don't forget his two BRDC Gold Stars (http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/72403) ;)

Knock-on
8th December 2008, 15:53
Handed to him by the man in part responsible for the current economic crisis in this country :rolleyes:

Oh well, lets hope he gets the hat-trick with the BBC sports personality of the year :)

PolePosition_1
8th December 2008, 16:11
Undeservedly if you ask me, other drivers have driven better this season.

Knock On - what are you refering to by man responsible for current economic crisis? It was handed by Mika Hakkinen...

Knock-on
8th December 2008, 16:42
Undeservedly if you ask me, other drivers have driven better this season.

WDC in his 2nd year, youngest ever champion and driving in the 2nd best car out there.

What more does the boy have to do :confused:

Knock On - what are you refering to by man responsible for current economic crisis? It was handed by Mika Hakkinen...

Sorry, I was replying to Arrows and the Gold Stars. His 2nd was handed to him by Gordon Brown.

THE_LIBERATOR
8th December 2008, 22:20
WDC in his 2nd year, youngest ever champion and driving in the 2nd best car out there.

Not be black I guess.

Turkeyneck
8th December 2008, 22:52
Not be black I guess.

Very good contribution to the thread,

TWAT

ShiftingGears
9th December 2008, 00:04

See Alonso's 2006 championship. Flawless the whole way through, not like Hamilton's championship.

I don't see why Hamilton deserves driver of the year award, ahead of Sebastien Loeb.

PSfan
9th December 2008, 00:39

I was gonna agree with PolePosition on this, seeing as I believe there where better drivers in the F1 championship this year, and probably a whole lot more deserving "international" drivers in other series all over the world, but seeing as he has done more to deserve it this year, then he did last, then winning it again should really not be that surpising...

Not be black I guess.

Sorry I completely disagree... Had he been any other nationality or race, Hamilton would not of won the title of "International Racing Driver of the Year" Autosport would have probably given it to Button had that been the case...

And even more so, had Hamilton been a white Brazilian or German, but still been driving for MacLeran, he would most certainly had not won anything this year as MacLeran would have been sitting out the championship this year, and probably next year as well...

Hawkmoon
9th December 2008, 05:17
British magazine gives British driver an award. Gee, who'd have thought that would happen?

Personally I'd have given it to Vettel, Alonso or Sebastien Loeb. Though Vettel and Alonso only really came good in the later half of the year.

ShiftingGears
9th December 2008, 05:45
British magazine gives British driver an award. Gee, who'd have thought that would happen?

Personally I'd have given it to Vettel, Alonso or Sebastien Loeb. Though Vettel and Alonso only really came good in the later half of the year.

It's the international racing driver award. Loeb won the international rally driver award.

PolePosition_1
9th December 2008, 08:28

Sorry, I was replying to Arrows and the Gold Stars. His 2nd was handed to him by Gordon Brown.

I won't argue his achievements are amazing, and they themselves deserve recognition.

But if we're rewarding best driver of 2008, I can think of other drivers who drove better in 2008 than Hamilton.

Hawkmoon
9th December 2008, 09:04
It's the international racing driver award. Loeb won the international rally driver award.

Really? I didn't know that.

Seems a bit silly to me. Rally drivers are racing just as much as circuit racers.

Still don't think Hamilton deserved it any more than several others in F1. But when nobody really stands out you may as well give it to the guy who won. He obviously did something right.

ioan
9th December 2008, 11:46

Excellent post, just what I was going to say! :thumbsup:

ArrowsFA1
9th December 2008, 12:30
Bit of a shocker isn't it :laugh:

PolePosition_1
9th December 2008, 13:35
What really annoyed me about the award cereromy yesterday at the Cafe Royal for the BRDC, was the fact that Our British Prime Minister chose to show up and present the award to Hamilton. They have shown absolutely no interest in supporting F1 (apart from taking a donation from Bernie) up until now and were quite happy to see Britain lose its Grand Prix. Good publicity for Gordon Brown I suppose?

What is so wrong about Gordon not supporting the British GP when the private sector are able to support it without tax payers money having to be used?

I fail to see your point.

Plus Gordon Brown as PM is a representative of the UK, surely he is entitled to present the reward as much as any other representative of the UK.

ioan
9th December 2008, 13:55
What is so wrong about Gordon not supporting the British GP when the private sector are able to support it without tax payers money having to be used?

I fail to see your point.

Plus Gordon Brown as PM is a representative of the UK, surely he is entitled to present the reward as much as any other representative of the UK.

Ah, politics! Don't bother, every politician has he's supporters and detractors. if he happens to be PM during a serious financial and economical crisis he'll have more of the later ones.

woody2goody
9th December 2008, 17:49
It would be nice if some of you can put away your claws please.

I can't remember another British driver winning the award in about 5 years of reading Autosport.

And anyway, so what? Hamilton is the World Champion, so it's not a bad decision.

I agree others have driven better (Alonso, Vettel, Trulli IMO) but a lot of you are quick to jump on the fact that it's a British mag awarding a British driver. I wonder if the German press ever gave a similar award to Michael Schumacher? Shock horror if they did.

I have no problem with any other country or people from another country but I find it hard to just stand by while my country (and it's F1 drivers) are being slagged off.

To say that if Lewis was white they would have given it to Button is a daft thing to say.

Whenever sportspeople come to the UK, they always comment on how knowledgeable the fans are, and how many of them are fans of non-British drivers. I do have pride for Button and Hamilton, but otherwise my favourite drivers are Heidfeld, Trulli, Fisichella, Vettel, Alonso and Kubica.

This is quite typical of many British fans in my opinion. For example only 1 or 2 out of my ten favourite footballers would be English.

woody2goody
9th December 2008, 17:54
Ah, politics! Don't bother, every politician has he's supporters and detractors. if he happens to be PM during a serious financial and economical crisis he'll have more of the later ones.

Thumbs up to that one.

It's not easy for anyone in politics at the moment with the current conditions.

ioan
9th December 2008, 22:13
Thumbs up to that one.

It's not easy for anyone in politics at the moment with the current conditions.

You bet, if he does well he will still have detractors, if he does badly they will all want his head, its 'a lose lose situation in fact.

woody2goody
10th December 2008, 01:17
You bet, if he does well he will still have detractors, if he does badly they will all want his head, its 'a lose lose situation in fact.

I suppose you can say the same about F1 really. Look at the hamilton and Massa discussions these boards have seen over the past year (or two).

555-04Q2
10th December 2008, 05:25
Well deserved if you ask me :up: Well done young man :)

THE_LIBERATOR
10th December 2008, 05:57
Very good contribution to the thread,

TWATSpot the racist.

ioan
10th December 2008, 08:19
I suppose you can say the same about F1 really. Look at the hamilton and Massa discussions these boards have seen over the past year (or two).

Up to a certain degree, but while F1 is only about our stupid egos, politics do influence our everyday life and not liking a politician might be due to losing your job because of measures he proposed, something I doubt WE can say about F1. ;)

woody2goody
10th December 2008, 17:13
Up to a certain degree, but while F1 is only about our stupid egos, politics do influence our everyday life and not liking a politician might be due to losing your job because of measures he proposed, something I doubt WE can say about F1. ;)

Does not possibly watching F1 because of Bernie's idiotic measures count? :)