PDA

View Full Version : 50 years of motorways

Mark
5th December 2008, 08:06
http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/img/photo.jpg

Today marks the day, 50 years ago, when the first stretch of motorway opened in the UK. The M6 preston bypass, which at the time was just a few miles long, two lanes in either direction and no hard shoulder. It's very different now.

Rather fittingly today sees the opening of a new part of the M6 from Carlisle to Guards Mill, known to many as the 'Cumberland Gap'. That bit of the A74 dual carriageway which was left between the M6 and A74(M) now upgraded to motorway. Which makes it possible to drive from Folkestone to Glasgow without leaving the motorway network.

MrJan
5th December 2008, 08:17
50 years and people still don't know how to drive on them without using their brakes :rolleyes: :p :

Bezza
5th December 2008, 08:51
It all starts from Preston - we have always been innovators ;)

Dave B
5th December 2008, 09:19
Today also marks the 49th year and 364 day since the first motorway roadworks. :p

Daniel
5th December 2008, 09:21
It all starts from Preston - we have always been innovators ;)
Preston bypass. So it started so people didn't have to go into Preston. Says something about Preston by the looks of it ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
5th December 2008, 15:57
Preston bypass. So it started so people didn't have to go into Preston. Says something about Preston by the looks of it ;)

:laugh:

I can name a thousand reason to go into Preston :)

Bezza
5th December 2008, 16:12

Bit rich considering you moved continents to get away from Australia!

Daniel
5th December 2008, 17:01
Bit rich considering you moved continents to get away from Australia!
My reason for moving here is called Caroline, not hating Australia :p

GridGirl
5th December 2008, 18:08
Well I've managed to use the M5 and M6 already today and plan to use the M5, M6, M42 and M1 after me tea. Ahhh motorways...gotta love em. :p

Bezza
8th December 2008, 14:26
My reason for moving here is called Caroline, not hating Australia :p

That's what they all say! ;)

Rollo
8th December 2008, 21:54
Does this now mean that the M74/A74(M) is going to disappear up its own fundamental sliproad? By rights, shouldn't it just fade away now?

Mark
9th December 2008, 07:59
Does this now mean that the M74/A74(M) is going to disappear up its own fundamental sliproad? By rights, shouldn't it just fade away now?

You would have thought so wouldn't you. By rights it should be M6 all the way, or at least change to M74 at the border and get rid of the silly change to A74(M) then M74.

As it stands there are no plans for a change with two arbitrary changes in the road number along the same stretch of road.

They are building the M74 extension in Glasgow which extends further than junction 1. Which means they are going to have to do something with the junction numbers when this opens, hopefully they'll do something about the A74(M) numbering at the same time, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

Daniel
9th December 2008, 11:53
You would have thought so wouldn't you. By rights it should be M6 all the way, or at least change to M74 at the border and get rid of the silly change to A74(M) then M74.

As it stands there are no plans for a change with two arbitrary changes in the road number along the same stretch of road.

They are building the M74 extension in Glasgow which extends further than junction 1. Which means they are going to have to do something with the junction numbers when this opens, hopefully they'll do something about the A74(M) numbering at the same time, but I wouldn't hold my breath!
Motorway nerds :p

Rollo
9th December 2008, 22:24

Oh damn.

If they continue pressing on towards the M8 and the famed "Glasgow Ring Road" then hell won't break loose, quite the contrary it will come to a grinding halt.

Is that where the ski jump is?

Mark
10th December 2008, 08:38
If they continue pressing on towards the M8 and the famed "Glasgow Ring Road" then hell won't break loose, quite the contrary it will come to a grinding halt.

Well that's what it's designed to fix. So you can go from the M74 to the M8 w/b without having to go over the Kingston bridge, it should take a lot of traffic off the M8 through Glasgow centre.

Iain
11th December 2008, 17:53
Motorway nerds :p

SABRE - w00t