PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe for Toyota to quit now?

Hondo
5th December 2008, 06:12
As Honda have bailed out of F1 first, can Toyota quit now without losing face, or do they have to win one first?

leopard
5th December 2008, 07:18
When it's a matter of fast, its a matter of time... :)

It sounds a bit ironic the biggest manufacturer pulls out of the competition. Not sure how do their success in F1 measured. Their involvement had contributed to their product disseminated more worldwide. I doubt that they will do it in near time of future with or without the win.

ArrowsFA1
5th December 2008, 08:04
Not so long ago John Howett said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71785):

"Generally we are assuming we are here until at least 2012. The ambition is to win and continue the contribution, if you like, to Formula One. The issue is we don't want a standard engine. If it is forced through, then it (quitting) is not a decision we will take here, it will be taken by the board in Japan, but they want a degree of differentiation between teams."

When asked what he believed would happen if the FIA's standard engine plans went through, Howett said: "I think you will see manufacturers potentially leaving F1 if there is a standard engine."
It's difficult to know how much has changed for Toyota since then and whether Honda's withdrawl will be just the first.

MrJan
5th December 2008, 08:20
They might want to get a race win first, afterall they entered F1 in a big ball of promotion and money with a very real goal that has never been realised. Trouble is that if the money isn't there then it won't matter what they want to do.

Dave B
5th December 2008, 09:32
Let's be honest: Toyota are only in F1 becuase their bitter rivals Honda are.

Change "are" to "were" and there's absolutely no other reason for them to flush half a billion dollars down the toilet every year just to scrape the occasional lucky podium.

If the FIA push ahead with the standard engine this will give Toyota the perfect opportunity to pull out without losing face.

Even without the standard engine I can't see them remaining in the sport for more than a couple of years unless they hit gold next season and start winning races.

You can bet that right now Williams are urgently considering an alternative engine supplier.

ioan
5th December 2008, 11:34
They will stay at east until the end of 2009 as they have a chance to go forward with the new regulations and will make it even sweeter knowing that Honda packed up already.

52Paddy
5th December 2008, 11:38
Change "are" to "were" and there's absolutely no other reason for them to flush half a billion dollars down the toilet every year just to scrape the occasional lucky podium.

Even without the standard engine I can't see them remaining in the sport for more than a couple of years unless they hit gold next season and start winning races.

I don't think Toyota should pull out at the moment though. 2008 showed promise in terms of speed, at certain GPs. I can't recall off hand but Trulli put in a handful of more-than-decent quali performances. Timo Glock seemed to improve during the course of the year too. I feel that Toyota are at a strong point which is going to get better and it would not be wise to pull out just yet.

That is, of course, failing a regs/rules change which falls against them (which isn't exactly out of question amid the present dross.)

RWD
5th December 2008, 14:36
Toyota should get behind williams, get the best of Toyota and the best of Williams and merge it into 1 team, they could be onto a winner, Williams would get more funding, they have the experiance, and Toyota would still be in F1 but wouldnt be as expensive for them.

ioan
5th December 2008, 15:57
Toyota should get behind williams, get the best of Toyota and the best of Williams and merge it into 1 team, they could be onto a winner, Williams would get more funding, they have the experiance, and Toyota would still be in F1 but wouldnt be as expensive for them.

Unlike Honda, Toyota do have sponsors so why mix it with Williams and all?
They are already better than Williams, take a look to this years standings.

VkmSpouge
5th December 2008, 17:02
I would hope Toyota stay but if the economic downturn continues and car sales remain in the doldrums, and if the team once again fail to achieve anything significant in 2009, how could Toyota justify flushing all this money down the F1 toilet? And with Honda gone there is now one less reason to stay.

jens
5th December 2008, 19:13
Even if Toyota leaves, then hopefully not before 2009. I would simply like to see, how can they deal with the new rules.
And I would like to see Trulli finally on slick tyres. :D It has been at times guessed that grooved tyres have hindered his potential (don't know, how true is this). Also that he could make a proper retirement, not to get suddenly kicked out during winter. And that Glock has time to find a drive, not to spend a year jobless...

But anyway, Honda's departure came as a big surprise without any warning, which means that predicting is really difficult and we may lose more teams over the winter even if there aren't any signs at the moment. But if Toyota stays in F1 for '09, then that year would be very important for them in every way regarding their future participation, taking into account competitiveness + also the general future of F1 (rules and other factors).

V12
5th December 2008, 20:17
I would guess Toyota are in for 2009 (although stranger things have happened, like Honda's sudden withdrawal in the first place!) but 2010 and beyond is anyone's guess at this stage. There have been murmurs about a Le Mans program and withdrawing from F1 before all this with Honda kicked off!

cy bais
5th December 2008, 20:50
Honda going 2 years without a visible sponsor on their cars was stupid. Their "earthdreams" became the proverbial nightmare. Not to say that was the sole contributor to their withdrawal from F1.

BDunnell
5th December 2008, 21:24
Well, it appears as if Toyota won't be following Honda out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7768596.stm

Valve Bounce
6th December 2008, 00:48
Unlike Honda, Toyota do have sponsors so why mix it with Williams and all?

Purely to justify remaining in F1 after sacking thousands of workers worldwide.

ioan
6th December 2008, 17:06
Purely to justify remaining in F1 after sacking thousands of workers worldwide.

Their advertising in Europe is heavily based on F1, I doubt they will give up, especially if the bill si footed mostly by Panasonic and Co.

jso1985
6th December 2008, 19:31
E
And I would like to see Trulli finally on slick tyres. :D It has been at times guessed that grooved tyres have hindered his potential (don't know, how true is this).

yep, alongside with global warming, his intestinal bacterial florae and Bernie's haircut :p

Jag_Warrior
7th December 2008, 18:53
How could Honda promote its involvement in F1 these past couple of years? We really suck in F1, but we still make good cars.

Toyota has had its moments, but the team is not the laughing stock that Honda became. My hope (for a lot of reasons!) is that this recession is not extended past late next year, and with Toyota's deep(er) pockets, it remains in F1 for years to come.

Course, with Max "Spanky" Mosley and Bernie "I can't believe I put it all in her name" Ecclestone in charge, the (wild and delusional) rumors of warmed over Cosworth XFE's and Panoz DP01's being the future of F1 might not be so far off the mark. Excuse me, I think I just threw up in my mouth.

tsarcasm
8th December 2008, 04:41
yup... it's blows goats!!

In a few years I won't have to complain about not having an F1 race here. As I can see spec. racers in the IRL everyday :(