PDA

View Full Version : Andreas Mikkelsen

Pages : 1 2 [3]

rp
21st October 2020, 17:56
Will Tänak and Neuville be also on the market for 2022?

There will be a lot of drivers on the market if Hyundai´s WRC era is coming to an end.

TypeR
21st October 2020, 18:39
He must be living in some different zone.. There are maaany drivers who would get the seat before him..
Why would Toyota or anyone else give him a seat, if he wouldn't be in top3's speed or even top5 today..

mknight
21st October 2020, 20:39
He must be living in some different zone.. There are maaany drivers who would get the seat before him..
Why would Toyota or anyone else give him a seat, if he wouldn't be in top3's speed or even top5 today..

He was in top 3 in his second last WRC rally, 4th and 3rd in the 3 rallies before that again. So dunno what you on about.

He was obviously gambling on getting the seat at Toyota in case Ogier retired at the end of this year. Now that Ogier stays for one more year it's bad indeed for Mikkelsen as other "new" drivers might become more interesting.
At the same time Evans has confirmed that "anyone" of the established drivers can be fast in the Toyota. (only Toyota driver without podium is Katsuta, even Hanninen got one).

Getting a seat at a new manu team would be more realistic, but doesn't look like any new manu is coming. Anyway he is still only 30.

Examples of the "new" drivers are indeed Solberg, Loubet or even Huttunen. Breen has to show real speed on tarmac and above all consistency which is even below Mikkelsen standard. They drove 5 WRC rallies in same cars (2x i20 and 3x C3), Mikkelsen was faster in all except the first one.

AnttiL
23rd October 2020, 07:20
https://www.fiaerc.com/83152/

Mikkelsen starts ERC Hungary with a Skoda on Pirellis

EstWRC
23rd October 2020, 08:30
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ek_89qFW0AEuliy?format=jpg&name=medium

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd October 2020, 10:46
Interesting to see how the compares with the ERC guys. He must win to maintain his image as 'ready for a WRC return'.

denkimi
23rd October 2020, 18:07
Interesting to see how the compares with the ERC guys. He must win to maintain his image as 'ready for a WRC return'.
Hard to tell when he is on different tyres.

AnttiL
23rd October 2020, 18:27
Hard to tell when he is on different tyres.

For example Lukyanuk and Solberg use Pirellis. I suppose he can't use new models in competition...

AnttiL
23rd October 2020, 18:34
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/mikkelsen-closing-on-wrc-return-for-final-2020-events/

Mikkelsen going for a Skoda for Ypres and Citroen C3 WRC for Monza

PLuto
23rd October 2020, 19:55
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/mikkelsen-closing-on-wrc-return-for-final-2020-events/

Mikkelsen going for a Skoda for Ypres and Citroen C3 WRC for Monza

Not sure yet...

Fast Eddie WRC
24th October 2020, 11:26
Pirelli-liveried C3 WRC sounds more like another 'promo car' than a serious way of showing his pace.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th November 2020, 13:58
Mikkelsen won ERC Rally Hungary on his 'comeback'.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmTwnwWXYAU4Kxi?format=jpg&name=small

Jarek Z
8th November 2020, 17:18
He says he is unbeaten this year :)

meh
9th November 2020, 06:37
I think Mikkelsen's task with this rally was to show, that he is better than anyone from ERC and he did that job well. From some point of view, it is a bit taking part of high-school sport event, but you still need to be good enough to beat them.

RS
9th November 2020, 09:06
I think Mikkelsen's task with this rally was to show, that he is better than anyone from ERC and he did that job well. From some point of view, it is a bit taking part of high-school sport event, but you still need to be good enough to beat them.

Still, the rally itself will probably make Monza look a bit Mickey Mouse ;)

It was really nice to see Ola Floene so happy he was back together with Andreas and winning.

Nice onboard from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH_5Dm2iaN0

Lead
9th November 2020, 09:37
Still, the rally itself will probably make Monza look a bit Mickey Mouse ;)

It was really nice to see Ola Floene so happy he was back together with Andreas and winning.

Nice onboard from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH_5Dm2iaN0

2:45 and they are having fun in the car, thats a really good sign :)

Jarek Z
9th November 2020, 09:57
2:45 and they are having fun in the car, thats a really good sign :)

Yeah, I noticed that too :)

Here is the next episode of Mikkelsen's "My Life" series - this episode is about all the preparations for Rally Hungary. He seems very happy.
The next episode should be out on Monday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP2AqVLbUgY

Jarek Z
10th November 2020, 21:18
Here it is - Rally Hungary in the eyes of Andreas Mikkelsen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRvOv2Z1kvQ

RS
16th November 2020, 15:36
Mikkelsen confirmed for Canarias in ERC and working on Monza:

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/will-mikkelsen-get-a-seat-for-rally-monza/

M-Sport could do with the kind of help he is hinting at with their Fiesta R5, although I suppose it's more likely he continues in a Skoda.

pantealex
17th November 2020, 08:17
Mikkelsen confirmed for Canarias in ERC and working on Monza:

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/will-mikkelsen-get-a-seat-for-rally-monza/

M-Sport could do with the kind of help he is hinting at with their Fiesta R5, although I suppose it's more likely he continues in a Skoda.

Why would MSport want to promote R5 ?
They have had Rally2 for months now

Even Mikkelsen can´t fight for win with Fiesta R5, stop dreaming, car is way too slow.

AnttiL
17th November 2020, 08:27

Even Mikkelsen can´t fight for win with Fiesta R5, stop dreaming, car is way too slow.

Come on pante :D

TypeR
17th November 2020, 08:34
R5=Rally2...
I'm sure they will be called R5s for quite a long time..

RS
17th November 2020, 09:05

https://www.m-sport.co.uk/fiesta-rally2

Page title is Fiesta Rally2 but the text and photos say R5 :D

NoName
4th December 2020, 07:59
Was not the plan for Mikkelsen to drive WRC Citroen C3 ?

AnttiL
4th December 2020, 08:11
Was not the plan for Mikkelsen to drive WRC Citroen C3 ?

Was a plan, possibly some budget issues? He seemed to change his whole strategy of next year to drive more WRC2/3 to show his skills for a Rally1 seat in 2022

NoName
4th December 2020, 08:15
Was a plan, possibly some budget issues? He seemed to change his whole strategy of next year to drive more WRC2/3 to show his skills for a Rally1 seat in 2022

Would be the smartest..

PLuto
4th December 2020, 09:12

Was not a plan. Was a dream...

mknight
4th December 2020, 09:37
With the current conditions he would probably be slower in C3 WRC than in Rally2 Fabia.

Sulland
4th December 2020, 09:39
Ogier leaving was part of that plan, when he stays on, the only option is MSport, since they have not signed contracts yet.
Had I been Malcolm I would give him a call...

pantealex
4th December 2020, 16:38
Ogier leaving was part of that plan, when he stays on, the only option is MSport, since they have not signed contracts yet.
Had I been Malcolm I would give him a call...

Andreas should not pay to Malcolm but even for free, yes.

mknight
6th December 2020, 12:32
Back to WRC event in R5 it was pretty much like like last time in 2017. (Monte, Corsica, Portugal)

1 min lead after first day and rally done.

Broken gearlever on Saturday and 2x bad tire choice made it a bit interesting, but Sunday he controlled it and won the leg in RC2 again.

Based on Canarias and Saturday in Monza he definitely needs to get someone good to work with weather/tires if he keeps running semi-private. In factory teams he wasn't known for doing bad tire choices.

Don't see any way to WRC next year though. Toyota is full, part time at Hyundai doing gravel rounds sounds a bit pointless and Adamo repeatedly picked Breen over him even when Breen does worse (GB/AUS/SWE).

Driving at MSport to "also participate" also looks pointless, especially if he would need to bring budget.

RS
6th December 2020, 13:11
Judging by the livery, it looked like Andreas (and Lindholm) were running with Skoda support in Monza. Perhaps this is their model for next year - budget support but drive in private teams.

Sulland
18th December 2020, 08:27
So the plan for Mikkelsen to team up with Solberg for a Skoda team in WRC2 will not happen.

What options does that leave Mikkelsen:
Same deal with new teammate?
Trying to go to Ford for a WRCar stunt?

Rallyper
18th December 2020, 08:31
Is Mikkelsen still aiming for the big class?

Then Ford is only option I guess. If not 2nd teams will appear.

AnttiL
18th December 2020, 08:48
I believe Mikkelsen was planning on doing a WRC2/3 season in 2021 in order to get a Rally1 seat for 2022.

Just because Solberg went to Hyundai doesn't mean Mikkelsen couldn't still drive in Toksport's team. Tidemand could still continue in the other car?

abcrally
18th December 2020, 09:25
Is Mikkelsen still aiming for the big class?

Yes he is. Toksport WRC2 is out of question.

Then Ford is only option I guess. If not 2nd teams will appear.

True.

abcrally
18th December 2020, 09:30
I believe Mikkelsen was planning on doing a WRC2/3 season in 2021 in order to get a Rally1 seat for 2022.

Just because Solberg went to Hyundai doesn't mean Mikkelsen couldn't still drive in Toksport's team. Tidemand could still continue in the other car?

Toksport WRC2 is out of question for AM.

mknight
18th December 2020, 10:50
MSport without paying either in WRC or WRC2 (to help sell Fiesta Rally2), or he funds (sponsors+own) something (Fabia or C3) in WRC2 with "private" team, that's my guess.

er88
18th December 2020, 11:22
Toksport WRC2 is out of question for AM.Still think he should find a way to get a drive with Msport this season in the WRC car, either driving for free or bringing some of his budget . Hopefully they'll have some of these deleyed/ much talked about updates on the car, but all he would have to do is outperform Suninen (if he is still with the team) to surely get a role at Msport in 22. Plus, if Mikkelsen is involved with Msport in 2021 doing some events, he should/ could be used as a test driver for their new 22wrc car. And Msport always seem to have good cars straight out the box, so being at Msport could be a great place to be in 2022+.

Hyundai is a no-go for him under Adamo, Toyota will only have one seat available in 2022 you'd imagine, so it would be clever to find a way into Msport and building a better relationship there as soon as he can.

Another manufacturer isn't going to magically turn up, so it's a big year for drivers like Mikkelsen, Lappi, Breen, Suninen, Loubet etc and some of the younger ones, to earn a 2022 seat somewhere. I feel if Lappi stays at home he will be hurt the most (look at Paddon who is being slowly forgotten about). At least Mikkelsen will be doing something, whatever it is.

AnttiL
18th December 2020, 11:25
I feel if Lappi stays at home he will be hurt the most (look at Paddon who is being slowly forgotten about). At least Mikkelsen will be doing something, whatever it is.

The difference between Lappi and Paddon is that Paddon has a career at home outside the WRC. AFAIK Lappi doesn't have any other projects.

As for Mikkelsen, let's see what he can pull together.

AnttiL
20th December 2020, 09:57
Toksport WRC2 is out of question for AM.

And how he's doing the WRC2 season with Toksport :rolleyes:

SubaruNorway
20th December 2020, 10:33
My life
https://youtu.be/sJJn3E6nIp4

Tom K
20th December 2020, 10:45
Toksport announced Ola Fløene but on the Monte entry is Anders...

SubaruNorway
20th December 2020, 11:00
Did you not watch the video?
I think Ola is just temporary

mknight
20th December 2020, 11:47
Not very surprising.

As he says many motivated co-drivers are likely better than unmotivated Jæger.

There is no doubt he can fight on podium in WRC, but he has never shown that he can have a real shot at title.

What he has been missing the last few years is that every 3-4 rallies he seems to have a really bad rally performance wise (in adition at Hyundai there were the tarmac issues, shared with Loeb, but that's car-specific).

Co-driver change is one of the few big things that could be changed and unlike team change he has more to say about it. Jæger now forced his hand to do something about it.

---
In the vid he talks about lots of traveling, so probably doing some of the overseas rallies (Chile, Kenya, Japan), though question is off course how many take place.

Co-driven
20th December 2020, 21:06
Did you not watch the video?
I think Ola is just temporary

Ola will compete in Dakar Rally...he can get to Monte on time for recce?

SubaruNorway
20th December 2020, 21:08
Ola will compete in Dakar Rally...he can get to Monte on time for recce?

I haven't seen the dates but Loeb did it in 2019 didn't he.

Seb Marshall is the only one that really comes to my mind as a replacement.

rallyfiend
20th December 2020, 21:26
Has andreas ever used English notes?

SubaruNorway
20th December 2020, 21:46

Only event that comes to mind is when he and Neuville swapped in Monza show, shouldn't be a massive deal to change with his system i think https://youtu.be/i_kLG9HuWIc

steve.mandzij
20th December 2020, 22:25
Has andreas ever used English notes?yes, with mikko markkula in his early VW years

er88
20th December 2020, 23:58
Sure he also has some English words in the notes anyway?

Regardless, it won't be an issue for Andreas to have English notes.

Lead
21st December 2020, 12:46
I dont remember why exactly Andreas split from Ola at the end of the 2015 season, but I though it was Mikkelsen's decision? As far as I can tell, they had a really good chemistry in ERC Hungary win. Would be nice if they could re-unite again (if Ola is up to it?).

mknight
21st December 2020, 17:26

yes, with mikko markkula in his early VW years

15 rallies with Markkula and 2 with Paul Nagle in VW.

Anyway from well known English speaking names, Seb Marshall is indeed the first name that comes up.
Veronica Engan from Norwegian ones, though not sure she is interested since she stopped driving with O. Solberg.

It is off course also possible to pick some relatively unknown one like P. Solberg did with Patterson in 2009...who later even got to drive last stage in Sweden.

Sulland
21st December 2020, 17:40
If they are to live, travel and drive for aprox 200 days a year, I think he is thinking more of finding someone he feel he can have fun with and like, in addition to that the crew wil gel during driving.

I think the whole package is much more important than language the notes are given in, but lets see who he will test and choose.

abcrally
25th December 2020, 08:58
And how he's doing the WRC2 season with Toksport :rolleyes:

Eventually the budget was not found to do full season with M-Sport so he had to choose Toksport option. Like many are speculating here AM will most probably do some events in 2021 with M-Sport's Fiesta WRC too.

Sulland
27th December 2020, 12:17
So both ERC and WRC2 in Skoda.
Development work towards 2022, Rally2

so a busy 2021 for him. Still no new on new codriver.

He says he will try to win all rounds, being fastest Rally2 car. Tough goal. He will get some tech issues, he might go off fighting in the hardest class in Rally.

the sniper
27th December 2020, 18:02
I noticed that Andreas in this video says he's selling this apartment (he has another place in Monaco): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVD_PW0Wd_8

I wonder whether that is funding his 2021 season?

SubaruNorway
27th December 2020, 18:22
I noticed that Andreas in this video says he's selling this apartment (he has another place in Monaco): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVD_PW0Wd_8

I wonder whether that is funding his 2021 season?

Not yet, still for sale
https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/ad.html?finnkode=147146027&fbclid=IwAR0pADGTcU6oSUepukDYiFB0OWdme7ukoIQzCPqGq 4TSNHVtZ4tFGslOwuI

denkimi
28th December 2020, 06:42
Not yet, still for sale
https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/ad.html?finnkode=147146027&fbclid=IwAR0pADGTcU6oSUepukDYiFB0OWdme7ukoIQzCPqGq 4TSNHVtZ4tFGslOwuI
2,3 million euro. He seems to have earned well.

EstWRC
28th December 2020, 06:46
i was thinking the same

must have had very good salary with VW

or he has some other business as well? maybe someone knows

Jarek Z
28th December 2020, 09:17
Isn't he another boy who comes from a rich family? I remember that he had been driving WRC cars for years before he was signed by Volkswagen.

skarderud
28th December 2020, 10:16
Deleted

Fast Eddie WRC
28th December 2020, 13:03
He's a 'Red Bull athlete' but maybe they are going to be his car sponsor too...

Fast Eddie WRC
28th December 2020, 13:12
Isn't he another boy who comes from a rich family? I remember that he had been driving WRC cars for years before he was signed by Volkswagen.

His family home was up for sale too:
www.wsj.com/amp/articles/norways-wealthy-home-buyers-are-heading-for-the-hills-11568820673

SubaruNorway
28th December 2020, 20:58

His dad used to run a gambling company and import vine, probably some family investment.
Apartment is 1.65 mill euro not 2.3
The cabin is also Norway's most expensive at 3.7 mill euro in 2018, been for sale on and off since 2008

Andre Oliveira
5th September 2021, 20:08
After Jonas Andersson in Barum, Andreas will be codrived by Elliott Edmondson in Acropolis.

Elliott is a "M-Sport" codriver no?

mknight
5th September 2021, 20:38
Andersson is Veiby's codriver and did a national rally with him on Saturday so not very surprising he is not doing Greece.

Edmondson was codriving Mikkelsen on Sardinia during a Pirelli test this week.

Quite surprising that he is codriving in Greece, though a bit less since they now drove some kms together on the test.

Was expecting Veronica Engan to codrive Mikkelsen at some point at least for testing. But maybe since she works at Toksport she is too busy.

macebig
5th September 2021, 22:35
Seems interesting how Mikkelsen went with Edmondson as co driver. He always used Scandinavian co drivers, so opting for a relatively inexperienced Englishman is kinda intriguing.

Steve Boyd
5th September 2021, 23:48
relatively inexperienced

He's been active for 10 years and has a couple of years in the WRC, so he's not that inexperienced.

Andre Oliveira
5th September 2021, 23:49
Seems interesting how Mikkelsen went with Edmondson as co driver. He always used Scandinavian co drivers, so opting for a relatively inexperienced Englishman is kinda intriguing.

2 times with Nagle.

Bukken74
6th September 2021, 00:05

And Mikko Markkula

You will see Mikkelsen change codriver from race to race for a while, he has said he might try out a few for the rest of this season before any final decision is made.
In Barum he used Jonas Andersson,

TypeR
6th September 2021, 06:45
seems like Edmondson stayed in touch with M-Sport.. was co-driving Matthew also last month

dimviii
9th September 2021, 12:10
If Mikkelsen does end up winning both WRC2 and ERC, he would deserve bucketloads of credit. But rallying isn’t always a results business – at least when on the periphery of the WRC.

The way to convince the manufacturer teams that he is worthy of a third shot in the WRC is to go out and blow his rivals into the weeds. Mikkelsen hasn’t done quite enough of that this year – particularly in the ERC – and has gone from being a surprise factor in the Rally2 field to a constant that’s grinding out solid but (probably quite unfairly) forgettable results.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/is-mikkelsen-being-unfairly-overlooked/

Sulland
9th September 2021, 14:15
I still do not think the MSport option is closed.
Breen and Mikkelsen in the pointscoring cars.
Greensmith and Fourmaux sharing or car 3 and 4.

MSport need two drivers that can bag godd points in all rallies!

Danny0405
10th September 2021, 17:02
I still do not think the MSport option is closed.
Breen and Mikkelsen in the pointscoring cars.
Greensmith and Fourmaux sharing or car 3 and 4.

MSport need two drivers that can bag godd points in all rallies!

Not convinced, even with a Breen-Mikkelsen-Fourmaux line-up, I don’t see how M-Sport could target the manufacturer title so scoring good points is not the real target.
The real target is to make wins (or podiums) and why not the title if Breen skyrockets (but I don’t think so).

So I don’t really see the point for them to take Mikkelsen on a paid full-time basis in Rally1. The only interest IMO would be to take him in a part-time basis to also step up the Fiesta Rally2 as they do not improve in the last few years. Or if he pays for the drive.

But other than that, I would try a young driver with potential and some money (Bulacia, Greensmith, Gryazin)

For me, the main hope for Mikkelsen is a shared third car at Hyundai because Solberg is too much of a gamble and a title in both WRC-2 + ERC would show a certain level of consistency.

CWJ
18th October 2021, 13:47
I wonder if AM is allowed to drive 2017 minus spec next year ?

Mirek
18th October 2021, 13:50

Why would anyone do that?

AnttiL
18th October 2021, 14:22

No. He has been a factory driver during the past 5 seasons.

Mirek
18th October 2021, 14:34

I meant my question more from Mikkelsen's point of view. Driving a detuned old car outside of any competition is nothing more than a very expensive way of being irrelevant. Mikkelsen has for sure higher targets.

AnttiL
18th October 2021, 14:35
I meant my question more from Mikkelsen's point of view. Driving a detuned old car outside of any competition is nothing more than a very expensive way of being irrelevant. Mikkelsen has for sure higher targets.

I know, but he wouldn’t even be allowed. Notice that I didn’t reply to you :)

CWJ
18th October 2021, 16:27

I'v missed that. Sry

AnttiL
18th October 2021, 16:34

It was said by Latvala in Finnish media. WRC cars will have smaller restrictors and drivers who have had P1 within past five years are not allowed to drive. So gentleman drivers and young drivers are allowed, although no sense for any young driver to spend the money…

CWJ
18th October 2021, 16:59
It was said by Latvala in Finnish media. WRC cars will have smaller restrictors and drivers who have had P1 within past five years are not allowed to drive.

Mmmhh. Might be my fault, I remember him personally saying 2 years...

Mackie
19th October 2021, 07:14
In an interview with norwegian newspaper VG after the Championship-title in WRC2, Mikkelsen says he feels he deserves to be in the WRC. But it's hard due to the lack of seats avaliable.
"- What about Ford?"
"- At Ford you need money to get a seat. That is not an option for me."
He has an option in Skoda, staying there in WRC2 at least for the start of 2022.
"- And then we will see what happens..."

So it's not looking too bright for Mikkelsen...

abcrally
19th October 2021, 09:05
In an interview with norwegian newspaper VG after the Championship-title in WRC2, Mikkelsen says he feels he deserves to be in the WRC. But it's hard due to the lack of seats avaliable.
"- What about Ford?"
"- At Ford you need money to get a seat. That is not an option for me."
He has an option in Skoda, staying there in WRC2 at least for the start of 2022.
"- And then we will see what happens..."

So it's not looking too bright for Mikkelsen...

Very difficult to get back to the main class when you have lost your seat. History shows that too.

AnttiL
19th October 2021, 10:20
Very difficult to get back to the main class when you have lost your seat. History shows that too.

In the recent years Tänak, Evans, Mikkelsen himself, Östberg, Breen, Meeke, Lappi…

dck1989
19th October 2021, 10:57
Not right place to ask but....

"At Ford you need money to get a seat. That is not an option for me."

What the details of Breen's deal if he went to m-sport and asked them to give him a contract...was he bringing money and driving for free?

Mackie
19th October 2021, 11:26
What the details of Breen's deal if he went to m-sport and asked them to give him a contract...was he bringing money and driving for free?

It's fair to assume that Greensmith is paying. But Fourmaux and Breen? The question is, have Ford said to Mikkelsen that if he wants a seat he has to pay what Greensmith is paying.

seb_sh
19th October 2021, 14:27
It's fair to assume that Greensmith is paying. But Fourmaux and Breen? The question is, have Ford said to Mikkelsen that if he wants a seat he has to pay what Greensmith is paying.

Fourmaux' car has big Red Bull stickers and afaik the FFSA also has some budget for young drivers. No idea about Breen, could be he has some sponsorship and/or MSport thinks he's worth putting in the car.

Lead
25th October 2021, 09:26
So what will future bring for 2021 WRC2 and ERC champion? Didnt dominate every event he entered (to say at least), but steady and clever drive got him two titles even before both last championship rounds.

Not looking very bright for Mikkelsen at the moment, as there is no free Rally1 seats available for next season and there is no interest from any of teams about his services.
Is there a point to continue in WRC2 for next season (Skoda?) and wait for opportunity if any of Rally1 factory teams decide to change their lineup mid-season? If he decides not to compete at all, he could end his career now as WRC2 and ERC cahmpion? Or wait for additional manufacture team entering 2023 season? Really tough situation for him.

AnttiL
25th October 2021, 09:52
Good question. I don't think he has motivation to repeat this season again. If he can't get a Rally1 deal, will he search for new career paths outside WRC? Rallycross, Extreme E, Rally raids?

rallyfiend
25th October 2021, 09:53
Maybe now Red Bull will find him a seat in World RX now that they are also promoter of that as well as WRC.

I mean, they did use him as the test driver for the new electric car...

mknight
25th October 2021, 10:18
He said he doesn't want to do two championships at the same time next year. So most likely WRC2 with Skoda imo.
Or in other words he prefers to get paid by Skoda to paying at MSport (for unsure performance).

abcrally
26th October 2021, 16:57
In the recent years Tänak, Evans, Mikkelsen himself, Östberg, Breen, Meeke, Lappi…

Yeah, just wrote that it's difficult. Nothing like that it's not possible.

er88
26th October 2021, 22:35
Not right place to ask but....

"At Ford you need money to get a seat. That is not an option for me."

What the details of Breen's deal if he went to m-sport and asked them to give him a contract...was he bringing money and driving for free?Breen is being paid as a lead driver at Msport, 2yr deal on a good contract (for him). Nowhere near what the Toyota or Hyundai drivers will earn, but still nice deal for him. Bringing no investment.

Fourmaux has the red bull backing and Greensmith fully pays Msport what is needed to run his car for a full season.

Effectively after realising they couldn't attract Neuville/ Evans/ Tanak etc and build a proper championship challenging team, they have overlooked the best of the other available drivers to bring in money instead. So no Lappi, Mikkelsen, Suninen, Ostberg etc signed up to form a team alongside Breen, and lesser drivers with substantial backing given seats instead (although Fourmaux has great potential along with backing which is a double bonus for Msport).

mknight
27th October 2021, 06:05
It's then interesting that Breen himself is openly questioning whether it is a good idea for him to be the most (and only) experienced driver in the team. Probably remembers Citroen 2017 experience.

doubled1978
27th October 2021, 07:45
It's then interesting that Breen himself is openly questioning whether it is a good idea for him to be the most (and only) experienced driver in the team. Probably remembers Citroen 2017 experience.

Yeah I agree, I’m sure he knows that it will help greatly if they had someone like Mikkelsen in there as well. Breen, Mikkelsen, Formaux with Greensmith paying and occasional Loeb sounds like a decent line up to me.
Thing is I can’t believe it’s not achievable with Formaux bringing backing, and if Mikkelsen is as believed able to contribute.

mknight
27th October 2021, 11:46
It goes back to the main question. Is MSport doing everything to win one or both titles (even with limited budget)?

The answer seems to be no for 2022. It's "good enough" effort to keep the business running and Ford reasonably happy.

Tbh I can't really remember when was the last time they went all in during the last 10 years. Maybe something like 2011?
2017-2018 they pushed and used money for driver title, but 2017 manu title was "unexpected success" (Tanak seemingly improving a lot and DMACK dominating two rallies with different tire), for 2018 they seemingly already gave up on manu title. (much less priority for other drivers than Ogier).

doubled1978
27th October 2021, 12:23
It goes back to the main question. Is MSport doing everything to win one or both titles (even with limited budget)?

The answer seems to be no for 2022. It's "good enough" effort to keep the business running and Ford reasonably happy.

Tbh I can't really remember when was the last time they went all in during the last 10 years. Maybe something like 2011?
2017-2018 they pushed and used money for driver title, but 2017 manu title was "unexpected success" (Tanak seemingly improving a lot and DMACK dominating two rallies with different tire), for 2018 they seemingly already gave up on manu title. (much less priority for other drivers than Ogier).

Well I guess it depends if they have the money to fund another driver or not. Ultimately they can only be as serious as the budget allows.
On the other side, it depends on the desire of someone like Mikkelsen to put up the funds to get into the car….but then I would also understand guys being a little cautious with their cash until they have seen how competitive the Puma is.

Mirek
27th October 2021, 16:53

This is something which has been puzzling for me all the time. How on Earth could they be happy with this? If I was them I either go for it fully or I don't bother spend any money at all.

AndyRAC
27th October 2021, 17:52
This is something which has been puzzling for me all the time. How on Earth could they be happy with this? If I was them I either go for it fully or I don't bother spend any money at all.

I quite agree; in the end, it seems as if they're possibly somewhere in between.....

However, I've seen some comments that suggest they put as little in as possible - if M-Sport are unsuccessful, then it's not cost Ford too much; whereas if M-Sport win/do well, then it reflects well on Ford who can bask in any glory.

mknight
27th October 2021, 19:36
Yes, it seems that since it's MSport competing and not "Ford WRT" they do it like Andy says.

After Goodwood this year with Ford execs present I had some hope Ford is more serious with the Puma, but since then it seems like it's "same old" and they are just going for max PR for least money.

That's imo basically the story with Loeb as well and reason why he most likely doesn't pay. Sure his development feedback is likely usefull, but it's not like he is the only driver ever involved in developing a fast car (the most dominant car in last 15 years was udoubtedly Polo). But when he tests the car or starts, massive PR is assumed.
Funnily enough I would say PR value diminishes if he starts too many rallies and doesn't fight for top spots in them. (see his PR value from Sweden 2019 for example). So there's imo very little chance that he will do more than some 4-5 rounds.

Andre Oliveira
21st December 2022, 13:37
https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2022/wrc/mikkelsen-no-truth-in-rumours-of-m-sport-move/

Lead
21st December 2022, 14:14
Ok, at least now its clear.

Tom K
13th March 2023, 13:37
Mikkelsen - and Veiby - will do Azores Rallye (TER Series this year). Both driving Fabia RS - Toksport/RaceSeven.

240RS
11th September 2023, 12:05
Following his all-or-nothing drive this weekend, Andreas Mikkelsen warrants some attention. What is clear is that he has been driving well within his capabilities, with the championship his main prerogative. Unlike Oliver Solberg, he has been measured and cautious all through.

With the gloves off, he does look the best available option should a short-term Rally1 option emerge. Not only does he have the experience, but he did prove the speed is not gone.

denkimi
11th September 2023, 12:54
Following his all-or-nothing drive this weekend, Andreas Mikkelsen warrants some attention. What is clear is that he has been driving well within his capabilities, with the championship his main prerogative. Unlike Oliver Solberg, he has been measured and cautious all through.

With the gloves off, he does look the best available option should a short-term Rally1 option emerge. Not only does he have the experience, but he did prove the speed is not gone.
i agree. it's a mystery to me why none of the manufacturers seem to have any interest in him.

skarderud
11th September 2023, 13:23
i agree. it's a mystery to me why none of the manufacturers seem to have any interest in him.Me too, maybe because he deny bringing money.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

rp
11th September 2023, 13:40
That´s true! Andreas should get one more chance at the top level.

skarderud
11th September 2023, 14:31
That´s true! Andreas should get one more chance at the top level.Yes, if subaru actually are seriously planing a comeback, Mikkelsen has to be on theire shortlist.

M-sport next year is probably bad both economic, and a sporting point of wiew?

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

mousti
11th September 2023, 15:16
i agree. it's a mystery to me why none of the manufacturers seem to have any interest in him.Hyundai was and they had an agreement (9 rallies) before Lappi and Breen suddenly came up last year..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 2201123G met Tapatalk

Eli
24th April 2024, 15:12
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/mikkelsens-high-hopes-for-poland/

Also confirms what we’ve known, CER & Japan as his other outings.

er88
25th April 2024, 16:01
You really think if Hyundai are neck and neck with Toyota going into those rounds, they'll waste a drive on Mikkelsen? Lappi will be drafted in. If not, Sordo.

Eli
25th April 2024, 16:35
You really think if Hyundai are neck and neck with Toyota going into those rounds, they'll waste a drive on Mikkelsen? Lappi will be drafted in. If not, Sordo.

No, but if they have any intentions of continuing for 2025 & they want to retire Sordo for next year (assuming he'll only be in the Canary), they better start filling a fourth car, to see if Mikkelsen is worth the hassle (on gravel).

240RS
29th June 2024, 09:10
After the early season tarmac rounds in which Andreas Mikkelsen seemed all lost at sea, I must admit I had began seriously doubting whether he had anything left to give at the sharp end.

That time on SS 11 has put to rest those thoughts. Keep going Andreas. . . .

Sulland
29th June 2024, 16:35
I am guessing Mikkelsen is in process to play himself into the gravelteam, and out of the asphaltteam @ Hyundai.

masa90
29th June 2024, 19:56
Must say that I have been positively surprised in this race. Season sofar was catastrophic, here the result is really good.

mknight
30th June 2024, 08:43
Whole Saturday in Poland was very impressive. Fighting with Rovanpera and Evans with same road position. He was actually faster than Evans even without his puncture.

This on his first gravel rally after 5 years. Compare that to Suninen in his Estonia and Finland outings last year.

On tarmac it looks again like the car suits mainly Neuville. Tanak was also very frustrated after Croatia and only Lappi got decent result in Croatia last year, but he is prone to crashing (CER) and when driving safe the pace is somewhere else (Japan).

For the rest of the year I would expect Mikkelsen to drive in Greece and then split CER and Japan with Lappi. Though running 4 cars on CER might also be an option if driver title is close.

masa90
30th June 2024, 09:21
Though we need to see if this is "normal" or oneoff great result on his strongest rally.

mknight
30th June 2024, 09:25
Though we need to see if this is "normal" or oneoff great result on his strongest rally.

Which is why I believe Hyundai will put him in the car for Greece before deciding anything for next season.