PDA

View Full Version : Another New Ballast System for WTCC

Allyc85
30th November 2008, 11:28
Once again theyve gone and messed around with the sucess ballast in the WTCC. One of the reasons I dont follow wtcc that closely is the fact that they are constantly changing things. This is taken from Autosport.com...

"The World Touring Car Championship will revise its success ballast system next season, with weight placed on car models rather than individual drivers.

The previous system was widely criticised as it prevented drivers from producing consistent results, but series bosses believe the compensation weight will balance the performance of the rival cars, leaving the drivers to compete freely.

The new system will be calculated by taking an average of the two fastest lap times of each car in qualifying and the race over three rounds. The weight changes will then be applied for the following three rounds.

If a car's average time over three events is within three tenths of a second of the fastest model, no action will be taken. If it is outside the 0,3s mark, 10kg will be deducted for every 0.1s up to a maximum of 60kg.

Then if the average times of a car with reduced weight gets within 0.3s of the quickest, 10kg will be returned per 0.1s.

Series bosses explained that the system is not intended to be an absolute equaliser, but to help slower into a more competitive position. They are confident that success will still depend on the best driver and car combination, rather than the compensation system."

VkmSpouge
30th November 2008, 14:25
Well the WTCC ballast needed changing but frankly I think they made it more complicated than they needed to.

Eurotech
30th November 2008, 21:08
why does the BTCC system work so well when the WTCC system is so rubbish? the BTCC system can even compensate for two classes of car...

Allyc85
30th November 2008, 21:13
Probably because the WTCC is run by the FIA, who are a complete bunch of idiots, who dont have a clue what fans really want to see :(

Daniel
12th January 2009, 00:20
Probably because the WTCC is run by the FIA, who are a complete bunch of idiots, who dont have a clue what fans really want to see :(
Which is why the WTCC is still healthy and the BTCC isn't? :p Sorry to bring an old thread up but couldn't resist :p

BTCC2
19th January 2009, 22:06
Which is why the WTCC is still healthy and the BTCC isn't? :p Sorry to bring an old thread up but couldn't resist :p

Why is the BTCC not in a healthy state?
True there is only Vauxhall left as a manufacture backed team but the racing is a lot better and closer, and the championship is all together a more exciting experience. I think the fact that Jason Plato is so desperate to stay in the British Championship and has ruled out a move to the World Series is further proof of this.

Daniel
20th January 2009, 08:01
Why is the BTCC not in a healthy state?
True there is only Vauxhall left as a manufacture backed team but the racing is a lot better and closer, and the championship is all together a more exciting experience. I think the fact that Jason Plato is so desperate to stay in the British Championship and has ruled out a move to the World Series is further proof of this.

This idea that close racing (which is a function of the ballast anyway!!!!!) means a good racing series is silly. People seem to ignore the fact that the sporting regs spoil the series. I mean we've only got sprints and no feature races, we've got the wheel of who'seonpolechoosingness and we've got ballast. All things which are enemies of a good racing series.

Jason merely wants to stay in the BTCC because he's a big fish in a small pond rather than being a small fish in a big sea in the WTCC. I wouldn't use Plato's preferences as some kind of barometer for judging whether the BTCC is better than the WTCC. I could name a few Brits who seem far more content to stay in the WTCC anyway.....

Eurotech
20th January 2009, 19:15
but only a few seeing as their is only three.