PDA

View Full Version : Second Best Spaghetti Sauce?

Hazell B
5th February 2007, 21:34
I'm guessing pino's is first best but as the local stores don't stock it, which is next best?

Just tried a Lloyd Grossman (sp?) garlic and wild mushroom, but it's not as good as Seeds of Change garlic and tomato.

It's not a thrilling subject, but still I felt the need to ask what everyone else recommends :)

inamo
5th February 2007, 22:14
Make your own! Much, much better, and really easy!
All you need is:
1 onion, finely chopped,
1 clove garlic, pressed / chopped depending what you have
1 tin of chopped toms, drained a little
1 pack mushrooms, chopped
2 carrots, grated
Mixed herbs
dash worcester sauce
Tomato puree / ketchup to taste.

Start off with the onions, then just throw everything in and let it bubble away until it's cooked.

Andrewmcm
5th February 2007, 22:51
I'm guessing pino's is first best but as the local stores don't stock it, which is next best?

Just tried a Lloyd Grossman (sp?) garlic and wild mushroom, but it's not as good as Seeds of Change garlic and tomato.

It's not a thrilling subject, but still I felt the need to ask what everyone else recommends :)

Grossman's sauces are great. The Tomato and Chilli one is my favourite of the tomato-based sauces for pasta. His Tikka Masala curry sauce is also rather spiffy....!

LotusElise
6th February 2007, 10:24
Loyd Grossman's Puttanesca is very nice, if a bit strong. Home made Puttanesca is also good and easy but I can't remember the recipe as I'm not in my kitchen.

Loobylou
6th February 2007, 13:59
I tried the Jamie Oliver one off the Sainsburys ad the other week, the one with the spinach & chopped tomatoes - very nice. Even nicer when I chucked in some chopped mushrooms, ham & spring onions though. :facelick:

Don't have a favourite jar sauce, just get whatever looks good when I'm shopping.

pino
6th February 2007, 16:42
Loyd Grossman's Puttanesca is very nice, if a bit strong. Home made Puttanesca is also good and easy but I can't remember the recipe as I'm not in my kitchen.

http://www.italianrecipes.ws/campania/ricette_recipes/campania_002_sugo_alla_puttanesca_en.shtml

My 3rd fave Spaghetti recipe after Carbonara and Alle Vongole :lips:

Hotbikerchic33
6th February 2007, 17:00
The Jamie Oliver one is lush ive had that afew times!! :D

schmenke
6th February 2007, 20:07
Make your own! Much, much better, and really easy!
All you need is:
2 carrots, grated

Sounds like a donkey sauce... :mark:

donKey jote
6th February 2007, 21:19
I'd rather give pino's saucy putanesca a go :uhoh: :p :

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

oily oaf
7th February 2007, 17:02
I'm rather partial to those Sacla stir through sauces that come in the little glass jars.

An authentic taste of Italia I always think ;)
In fact whenever I partake of the product I am at once transported into Pino's sunlit back garden where he is serving me ice cold Italian beer dressed as Gina Lollobrigida. Mama Mia!

I dunno all this talk of delicious Italian grub is making me hanker after a scrumptious taste of the Mediterranean :(

(opens can of Heinz Spaghetti Hoops and strides towards microwave)

Hotbikerchic33
7th February 2007, 17:19
I'm rather partial to those Sacla stir through sauces that come in the little glass jars.

In fact whenever I partake of the product I am at once transported into Pino's sunlit back garden where he is serving me ice cold Italian beer dressed as Gina Lollobrigida. Mama Mia!

I dunno all this talk of delicious Italian grub is making me hanker after a scrumptious taste of the Mediterranean :(

(opens can of Heinz Spaghetti Hoops and strides towards microwave)

Yeah, ive tried those they are lush but at the moment my money is on Jamie Olivers as thats luvvvvverly!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :D

oily oaf
7th February 2007, 17:35
Yeah, ive tried those they are lush but at the moment my money is on Jamie Olivers as thats luvvvvverly!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :D

I agree. Jamie's concoction is rather toothsome but I found that after eating it my tongue swelled up to twice it's size and I kept going round calling everything Pukka! ;)

LotusElise
7th February 2007, 21:00

Sacla Tomato Pesto + cheese + a few chopped olives on pasta = yum.

IMSAFAN1
7th February 2007, 21:14
first off..eating pasta sauce out of a jar is so not right. My momma would be heart broken if I ever did that.
Second...sugo should take a day to make. not this heat and serve stuff.
Third...to make a great sauce is like making love...it takes time to be worthwhile.
In a pot heat up some extra virgin olive oil...in the mean time slice up some white onions and about 4 gloves of garlic. slice the garlic paper thin..just like in the movie "goodfellas" put this into the hot olive oil. add about 4 tins of plum tomatoes not drained. no tomatoe paste. add alot of herb to this. Oregano..basil...parsley....add more garlic and about 2 cups of red wine. when you see bubbles on top it's time to turn it down to a simmer. In the mean time you're going to make meatballs. In a bowl add ground beef...ground pork...and ground veal..with two eggs and bread crumbs. mix well and make into balls...not too small. put each one into the sauce and let the meat cook in the sauce. be sure to keep stirring thie sauce. don't let it burn. don't put the lid on either..you want to reduce it. this whole process should take about 6-8 hours to make. a tip when cooking pasta....always use fresh not the bagged stuff and never rinse it.

oily oaf
8th February 2007, 07:10
first off..eating pasta sauce out of a jar is so not right. My momma would be heart broken if I ever did that.
Second...sugo should take a day to make. not this heat and serve stuff.
Third...to make a great sauce is like making love...it takes time to be worthwhile.
In a pot heat up some extra virgin olive oil...in the mean time slice up some white onions and about 4 gloves of garlic. slice the garlic paper thin..just like in the movie "goodfellas" put this into the hot olive oil. add about 4 tins of plum tomatoes not drained. no tomatoe paste. add alot of herb to this. Oregano..basil...parsley....add more garlic and about 2 cups of red wine. when you see bubbles on top it's time to turn it down to a simmer. In the mean time you're going to make meatballs. In a bowl add ground beef...ground pork...and ground veal..with two eggs and bread crumbs. mix well and make into balls...not too small. put each one into the sauce and let the meat cook in the sauce. be sure to keep stirring thie sauce. don't let it burn. don't put the lid on either..you want to reduce it. this whole process should take about 6-8 hours to make. a tip when cooking pasta....always use fresh not the bagged stuff and never rinse it.

Can I just say that I'm in total agreement with you that making a great sauce is like making love which is why I always plump for Homepride "Finished In Seconds" Cook-In Sauce :(

Seriously though your recipe sounds great :)

Just one question where did you learn to cook this somewhat notorious dish?

Before I attempt to make it myself could you please sign the following disclaimer:

"I am not at present nor have ever been a member of The Cosa Nostra.........." ;)

oily oaf
8th February 2007, 07:13
Sacla Tomato Pesto + cheese + a few chopped olives on pasta = yum.

What time do you want me round my little Lotus Blossom :D

(shoves napkin down shirtfront like the neanderthal working class oik that I truly am) :(

IMSAFAN1
8th February 2007, 14:34
my momma taught me how to cook....i'm the oldest of 3 boys.

jim mcglinchey
8th February 2007, 17:56
Lloyd Grossmans tomato and chilli tonight, and, at the risk of sounding like a miserable ingrate since it was beautfully cooked and presented to me, I didnt really like it. Sorry dear.

Giuseppe F1
8th February 2007, 19:18
http://www.italianrecipes.ws/campania/ricette_recipes/campania_002_sugo_alla_puttanesca_en.shtml

My 3rd fave Spaghetti recipe after Carbonara and Alle Vongole :lips:

Pino, are you going to tell everyone the English translation for 'Puttanesca' or am I?! :) :)

P.S: Great choice - I love Puttancesca Sauce too although nothing beats my home made Lasagne from my Grandfathers recipe - whenever you are local, you are always welcome for a plate or 2 and a glass of vino paesan'!

Giuseppe F1

LotusElise
8th February 2007, 20:21
What time do you want me round my little Lotus Blossom :D

(shoves napkin down shirtfront like the neanderthal working class oik that I truly am) :(

There's some leftover risotto in the kitchen now if you want it.

schmenke
8th February 2007, 23:15
There's some leftover risotto in the kitchen now if you want it.

Yum! :)

Just last Saturday evening the missus and I decided to give our usual steamed carp a miss and cooked up a delicious asparagus risotto :facelick:

donKey jote
8th February 2007, 23:53
Pino, are you going to tell everyone the English translation for 'Puttanesca' or am I?! :) :)

I wonder what you'd get if you ordered some 'puttanesca' for your 'penne' in a Spanish restaurant. :)

Giuseppe F1
9th February 2007, 08:40
I wonder what you'd get if you ordered some 'puttanesca' for your 'penne' in a Spanish restaurant. :)

Good one donKey jote! :)

Giuseppe F1