PDA

View Full Version : Toseland new engineer

seppefan
27th November 2008, 10:17
I see Toseland has a new crew chief, Gary Reynders. Gary engineered Edwards machine this year. Wonder why the switch.

NinjaMaster
27th November 2008, 11:47
I think Toseland never 'clicked' with his crew chief this year. Guy Coulon (Toselands old crew chief) could never fully understand what Toseland wanted which makes things difficult for all involved. Of course Colin is not at all happy about the situation and there is now the tension in the Tech3 pit that we expected to see in the Fiat pit this year! ;)

seppefan
27th November 2008, 16:45
Interesting Tks. Has Guy Coulon switched over to Edwards or left?

leopard
28th November 2008, 09:44
Isn't Toseland a Brit? He shouldn't have any problem conveying message to the mechanic, crew chief and anyone in the team.

ChrisS
29th November 2008, 11:32
Edwards side of the story. This was posted at colinedwards.com by Colin Edwards Snr. Colin's dad.

It seems that JT was talking to Gary one day and Gary gave him a few tips and he tried them and they worked. After that JT made his mind up that he was going to get Gary as his crew chief for 09 and win races. JT conspired with Gary to make sure that he would go with him, after promises that if he had the right crew chief he was Yamaha's future and Gary would have a long future with him and they could win races. As Colin is on the back side of his career JT convinced Gary to go with him and I can see Gary's point there and he was just looking out for himself but he didn't think about Colin's reaction as a friend. After that was settled, JT and his manager called a meeting with the Japanese Yamaha heads and told them that he was Yamahas future both in MotoGP and the music side and gave them an ultimatum that if he didn't get Gary next year he was out of there or something to that effect. While this was going on it was just between JT and Gary and both Herve and Colin were kept out of this completely. The Japanese said if all the parties involved agreed with the change it would be ok with them. Well now the sticky part starts because Gary had to go to Colin and tell him that he has agreed to go with JT next year. Colin was completely blindsided as he thought that he had a real close friendship with Gary and for him to go behind his back with this was crushing. Gary started crying and carrying on that he didn't want to do it but he was just thinking about his future etc, etc as Colin only had a contract for 09 and an option for 2010. After that Colin was totally pissed that this had all happened behind his back but what choice did he have then ! He lost all respect for both Gary and James and really didn't have much choice about the matter and the original plan was that Gary was going to get another crew chief for Colin that had worked with Crivelle, because Guy didn't want any part of this conspiracy and stepped back. It wasn't until all the dust settled that Colin insisted on Guy for his crew chief so he wouldn't feel left out and Guy was happy with the deal as it seems there was too much tension in the JT camp for him anyway. JT even wanted Colin's computer and suspension guys too but that didn't happen. Around this time Herve caught wind of what was going on and he got pissed that he was left out of the loop on decisions in his own team and said the change wasn't going to happen and it was only after Colin convinced Herve that he was ok with it that Herve backed off and gave the deal his blessing but I think the shine between Herve, Gary and JT has dulled quite a bit. If they had used protocol and gone to Herve in the first place, it would have gone down the same way without the conspiracy and even tempers would have prevailed. Colin called me right after all this went down and he was really crushed, mainly because he thought he had a real friendship with Gary and JT and felt he was totally stabbed in the back and had lost a friend and all respect for "Wonder Boy". I am sure there were some choice words said and some juicy interviews but I think it is the best thing that ever happened as Colin rides his best pissed off or under pressure as he has proved in the past. As far as "ninjawhathisname" quote "Maybe if he'd kept up his early season form, and not sat back on his heels as soon as he knew that he had another contract, then HP might well have called it differently" it is quite evident that you need to have your facts straight before you put your foot in your mouth. And as far as the two talking again, I will let you all make up your own mind about that but I would imagine the relationship would be strained at the least. Colin was planning to retire next year but it was Yamaha that offered him the deal for the next two years and if they keep offering mill + contracts I think he will stay, so as far as "Colin sitting back on his heels as soon as he knew he had another contract" I will mention foot in the mouth again and quote "immature and silly" If you remember the fiasco in Germany and following races with Michelin, that had a little to do with Colin's poor second half of the year. From my point of view from listening to Colin about the tires, he just lost all confidence in Michelin after Germany.

patnicholls
29th November 2008, 17:21
Colin now seeming pretty happy with the switch:

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/motogp/news/172243-0/edwards__crew_chief_is_'borderline_genius'.html

29th November 2008, 21:53
Seems like a bloody poor show on Toseland's part. Pity he didn't have the decency to sort it with Edwards before poaching his engineer.....I thought he was made of better stuff than that. :down:

Corny
30th November 2008, 16:52
Seems like a bloody poor show on Toseland's part. Pity he didn't have the decency to sort it with Edwards before poaching his engineer.....I thought he was made of better stuff than that. :down:

Well, it's a bit nasty indeed, but isn't that what make the great champions? This is MotoGP, you have to get your absolute best out of every single detail otherwise you'll never get yourself up the front

tha_jackal
1st December 2008, 10:16
i don't think Toseland will ever be regularly up the front in MotoGP.. it's a big call i know, just a gut feeling.. he'll be back in WSBK sooner rather than later IMO.. :(

seppefan
1st December 2008, 12:29
Nasty stuff and as a Brit and a JT fan I want to say sorry to Colin Edwards. I always have liked Edwards ( Imola with Troy Baylisss for the WSB crown ) and for saying that when he first tested the Honda ( I think it was) that it was better than a !! An original and I wish he had won his first MotoGP by now.

But...maybe this is why. Do you have to be a to win in bikes as well as cars ?

ArmchairBikeFan
3rd December 2008, 20:02
I think there has to be more to it than this. Why would Yamaha be pushed around by Toseland? Surely they'd just tell him he's no Jorge Lorenzo and tell him to sod off! I don't believe Toseland could really demand anything, just ask for it. I don't think it'll make any difference to their relative results anyway.