PDA

View Full Version : No reason to buy a Peugeot eh?

Daniel
23rd November 2008, 21:40
As a Peugeot owner you can imagine Top Gear had me greatly annoyed tonight! :p

Why oh why did no one turn up in a 406 HDI? Or just any decent diesel car with a large fuel tank for that matter.

Think about it. It did 1459 miles on a tank in Australia in 2002 which was a world record at the time (Guinness World Records verified 94mpg!!!!!) , It's got a 70 litre tank so has another gallon on top of what the Legacy had and has a crapload more than the Polo and can be driven a bit more like the Jag without using as much fuel as the Jag. Even my 406 gives about 650 miles from a tank when driven fairly briskly with hardly any miles on nice motorway roads.

I do understand the producers like to have close finishes and all but sometimes it would be nice to see them actually show they know something about cars and give one of the presenters a car that's so much better than the others that they win by a mile not by sheer luck, not purely because Jeremy is stupid, but because one car is a smart choice over the others for the particular challenge :mark:

Daniel, 87 from North Wales, devoted Daily Mail reader :p

AndyRAC
23rd November 2008, 22:54
What - Jeremy wins another race shocker??

Haven't seen this weeks yet, but the races they do are undoubtably rigged in favour of Jeremy, why I don't know.

Bring back William Woollard.......

BDunnell
24th November 2008, 00:18

:laugh:

BDunnell
24th November 2008, 00:23

Haven't seen this weeks yet, but the races they do are undoubtably rigged in favour of Jeremy, why I don't know.

Because this is now essentially a sitcom in which every participant has an assigned role.

I would honestly be fascinated to know whether every single 'race' staged on Top Gear is genuinely as it seems — had this question been raised during the whole Blue Peter cat/rigged phone-in scandal period, I bet the results of any investigation would have made interesting reading.

Bring back William Woollard.......

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wTHQPMX2VFo

Drive safely. Goodnight.

Mark
24th November 2008, 09:00
I would honestly be fascinated to know whether every single 'race' staged on Top Gear is genuinely as it seems — had this question been raised during the whole Blue Peter cat/rigged phone-in scandal period, I bet the results of any investigation would have made interesting reading.

They've been over that many times and the upshot is that they do arrange it so that if everything goes as they expect the car will have a very slight advantage, but when things are underway that's it, is it as it is. The only thing they do is go back later and spend a few days doing panning shots etc, presumably without Jeremy driving.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th November 2008, 09:11
I might tape up my cracks! :laugh:

I noticed that May had folded in his door mirrors to reduce drag. Is this legal? After all, old cars don't have door mirrors.

Dave B
24th November 2008, 10:27
I've got a 306 on my drive which I can't get rid of. Mind you, it's raining so hopefully it'll rust away a bit more today.

:p

Brown, Jon Brow
24th November 2008, 11:11
I've got a 306 on my drive which I can't get rid of. Mind you, it's raining so hopefully it'll rust away a bit more today.

:p

Who gave you it?

Bezza
24th November 2008, 11:53
French cars, urgh! No thanks, been burnt once, never again!

I'm getting a brand new Seat Leon on Sunday :) Thank you.

MrJan
24th November 2008, 13:00
They always arrange the races so that they will be very close, otherwise it just makes dull TV on what has become an entertainment show.

Also I'd have thought that a lot of these sort of things are organised by who happens to have given them a car on that week or whatever :)

52Paddy
24th November 2008, 13:26
I know someone who recently got rid of a 1995 Peugeot 306. It was a 306 van which just gave up the ghost. He also suffered a tyre blow out on the motorway which was luckily during the night, with no traffic around. He now has a Suzuki Ignis.

Hazell B
24th November 2008, 13:40
I might tape up my cracks! :laugh:

Make sure you use low-tack tape in case you need to get it off in a hurry ;) And shave first!

I noticed that May had folded in his door mirrors to reduce drag. Is this legal? After all, old cars don't have door mirrors.

Totally not legal. If it's fitted it has to be able to be used. Older cars that never had them fitted I have no idea about, but it's probably like seatbelts which were (and I think still are) exempt from the laws. We used to use a vintage horsebox that had no seatbelts or indicators and that was legal.

Daniel
24th November 2008, 15:42
French cars, urgh! No thanks, been burnt once, never again!

I'm getting a brand new Seat Leon on Sunday :) Thank you.

You have my sympathies :p

christophulus
24th November 2008, 16:43

Hammond won actually, just to get the facts straight :p . Besides, no one rings in to vote on who should win, everyone knows it's both scripted and staged!

My first car was a green Peugeot 106, I had it for two years and it didn't break down once. Great car, sad I had to sell it in the end..

fizzicist
24th November 2008, 22:04
Deep within the bowels of Peugeot there was a chassis engineer who really understood how to make a car ride and handle well.

He or she quite clearly left in about 1994. Everything since the 306 has steadily gotten worse and worse until we end up with the nondescript blobs we get now. Everything in their range is depressingly awful now.

Shame really as the 106, 205, 306 were all great little cars - especially in go faster spec.

Daniel
24th November 2008, 22:13
Deep within the bowels of Peugeot there was a chassis engineer who really understood how to make a car ride and handle well.

He or she quite clearly left in about 1994. Everything since the 306 has steadily gotten worse and worse until we end up with the nondescript blobs we get now. Everything in their range is depressingly awful now.

Shame really as the 106, 205, 306 were all great little cars - especially in go faster spec.

Quite true. I don't actually disagree that there is no reason to buy any of the Pugs from the current range at all, it really was just a reason for starting a thread :uhoh: :p

When my 406 dies you won't be seeing me in another Peugeot unless I decide to get another one or something older :crazy: I quite fancy a 205 GTi but then with my lack of driving skill I'd probably be backwards through the first I saw :mark:

Valve Bounce
24th November 2008, 22:42
My first car was a 403. I saw one the other day going past - it brought back very fond memories. Funny, the water pump bearing was also rattling on this car.

fizzicist
25th November 2008, 12:17
I quite fancy a 205 GTi but then with my lack of driving skill I'd probably be backwards through the first I saw

Probably :p :

Everyone I know who's had a 205GTI has spun or crashed it. They're absolutely brilliant little cars but the lift off oversteer is vicious!

306GTI-6 and S16 are both great drives as is the Citroen ZX Volcane (essentially the same car).

A mate of mine knows someone selling a 20,000 mile 1.6GTi which I'm really tempted by. If it was a 1.9.....

alfa155btcc
25th November 2008, 12:22
As a Peugeot owner you can imagine Top Gear had me greatly annoyed tonight! :p

Why oh why did no one turn up in a 406 HDI? Or just any decent diesel car with a large fuel tank for that matter.

Think about it. It did 1459 miles on a tank in Australia in 2002 which was a world record at the time (Guinness World Records verified 94mpg!!!!!) , It's got a 70 litre tank so has another gallon on top of what the Legacy had and has a crapload more than the Polo and can be driven a bit more like the Jag without using as much fuel as the Jag. Even my 406 gives about 650 miles from a tank when driven fairly briskly with hardly any miles on nice motorway roads.

I do understand the producers like to have close finishes and all but sometimes it would be nice to see them actually show they know something about cars and give one of the presenters a car that's so much better than the others that they win by a mile not by sheer luck, not purely because Jeremy is stupid, but because one car is a smart choice over the others for the particular challenge :mark:

Well they were right Peugeots are crap :D

wedge
25th November 2008, 14:48
Despite less than reasonable body roll and spine breaking driving position, I've still got my 206!

Don't ask me why!

Brown, Jon Brow
25th November 2008, 17:43

Everyone I know who's had a 205GTI has spun or crashed it. They're absolutely brilliant little cars but the lift off oversteer is vicious!

306GTI-6 and S16 are both great drives as is the Citroen ZX Volcane (essentially the same car).

A mate of mine knows someone selling a 20,000 mile 1.6GTi which I'm really tempted by. If it was a 1.9.....

That sounds fun! I have the reactions of a fighter pilot!

................from WW1 :uhoh:

Daniel
26th November 2008, 14:55

Yeah it's sad that the PSA group has gone this way.

There really isn't a Peugeot in the current range that I like at all. When it comes to Citroen's the C4 and C5 are alright and I think the C6 is lovely but frankly I'll leave the privelige of losing £10-15k in depreciation in 2 or 3 years to some other poor sap!

Drew
26th November 2008, 17:43
Yeah it's sad that the PSA group has gone this way.

There really isn't a Peugeot in the current range that I like at all. When it comes to Citroen's the C4 and C5 are alright and I think the C6 is lovely but frankly I'll leave the privelige of losing £10-15k in depreciation in 2 or 3 years to some other poor sap!

Where as Italian cars on the other hand... ;)

Daniel
26th November 2008, 19:59
Where as Italian cars on the other hand... ;)
Yup! Thankfully the Italians are on the rise! If they weren't I'd have no cars to like :(

fizzicist
26th November 2008, 21:21
You'd be lucky to only lose £15k on a C6 in a few years.

I had a look at a C6 2.7HDI when I was shopping around for my current car.

£34k in the spec I wanted...

I reckon it'll shed £20k+ in 3 years