PDA

View Full Version : Go India!

Daniel
19th November 2008, 13:47
Another victory against the Somalian pirates :up:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7736885.stm

One does wonder why there isn't an aircraft carrier stationed in the region so that there can be a fast and deadly response when ships come under attack. If there were aircraft or helicopters in the area they could get more of these barstewards.

Azumanga Davo
19th November 2008, 15:09
You'd think they'd be a bit more clever, sit at home and concoct a banking scheme by email, like everyone else has. ;)

Storm
19th November 2008, 18:14
Yep INS Tabar at it again....

jim mcglinchey
26th November 2008, 12:33
I heard that there were 16 hostages drowned in this incident. Has anyone else heard that or is it another bullshtein rumour?

Roamy
26th November 2008, 15:56
Well the moral of this story is DON'T go fishing it the Indian Ocean. But what the hell does one do - you can't fly in or out of Bangkok. I guess the boat wasn't in the oracle database!!

donKey jote
26th November 2008, 18:52
apparently the "suspected pirate vessel" was a merchant vessel that had been captured by pirates :dozey:

Daniel
26th November 2008, 19:59
apparently the "suspected pirate vessel" was a merchant vessel that had been captured by pirates :dozey:
:uhoh:

jim mcglinchey
26th November 2008, 21:36

Well, a fully rigged, 500 ton, Spanish Galleon is a bit of a giveaway, har, har.

Storm
27th November 2008, 06:27
errr apparently it was a fishing trawler

Easy Drifter
27th November 2008, 15:44
It doesn't really matter what type of vessel the pirate ship was but opening fire on any type of warship with small arms is not the brightest of ideas.
I do not know what guns the INS Tabar carried but she had two surface to surface guided missle systems. The Tabar is Russian built and carries a battery of Russian surface to surface missiles and a battery of Isreali missles.

Easy Drifter
27th November 2008, 19:20
Being curious I decided to see what guns she carried. One 100mm (4 inch) DP gun appears to be all.
Interesting that she acts independently of the other naval ships in the Gulf.
My guess is India does not want to adhere to the restrictions placed on the other navies by namby pamby Govts.

Roamy
29th November 2008, 08:02
now this could be fun. We send a sub over there and just pop up and dump these mutherfuchers as they are cruising around looking for ships.

Tazio
29th November 2008, 08:50
now this could be fun. We send a sub over there and just pop up and dump these mutherfuchers as they are cruising around looking for ships. I wish it would be that easy :) These scumbags have increased their theatre of operation to several thousand square miles! These guys hit fast, and once they have the crew hostage they can’t blow them out of the water. I wish my Father was alive to see this! He was an officer in the U.S Merchant Marines He navigated the Strait of Hormuz to the shipping lanes off eastern Somalia, and North through the Suez Canal. I think he would have some strong opinions on how to elude these dirtballs.
Having made several crossings of the North Atlantic in WW2 avoiding German wolf-packs,
I would love to have gotten his take on this!

janneppi
29th November 2008, 09:38
So, will it be merchant ship convoys with warships alongside in the future for travelling near the coast of Africa?