PDA

View Full Version : DEI & Ganassi form new 4 car team

MD24
13th November 2008, 00:38
http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/11/12/dei.ganassi.merger/index.html

RaceFanStan
13th November 2008, 02:03
Teresa Earnhardt has made a pack with the devil IMO ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif
Dale Earnhardt is probably turning over in his grave AGAIN ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif
1st Dale Jr leaves DEI & now Teresa partners his company with Chip Gana$$i. :s

muggle not
13th November 2008, 02:36
No mention of Regan smith. :(

tstran17_88
13th November 2008, 04:23
Teresa Earnhardt has made a pack with the devil IMO ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gifShe's just joining the club then...Rick Hendrick sold his soul years ago for wins and championships.

F1boat
13th November 2008, 07:06
If they can win, good decision. If not...

colinspooky
13th November 2008, 09:53
She's just joining the club then...Rick Hendrick sold his soul years ago for wins and championships.

eh? Ignorant Brit. Sorry, but don't get it. :eek:

Simmi
13th November 2008, 11:30
They should definately put AJ Allmendinger in the #41 next season.

It's a case of needs must for these two teams. Unfortunately we look to have lost 3 cars from the grid (#40, #15, #01), but better this then both teams pulling out completely.

tstran17_88
15th November 2008, 03:14
eh? Ignorant Brit. Sorry, but don't get it. :eek: Stan mentioned the widow Earnhardt’s pack with the devil and it’s my personal opinion that’s the reason for Team Hendrick’s success over the past 13 or so years. Rick sold his soul.

Hendrick’s teams were successful before, but not nearly to the dominance that started with Gordon’s first championship in 1995 and has run through this season.

This is going to sound heartless, but every once in a while "the anti-christ" comes a calling for payback…Rick’s leukemia, Rick’s federal charges and the plane crash outside of Martinsville, VA.

carracing
15th November 2008, 18:41
The sad thing is the assumed loss of 75+ jobs for an industry that has already been hit hard enough. First the absorbtion of Ginn Racing and the job losses that went with it - now this.

She should have given DEI to Dale's children - this was the legacy he was building for ALL of them, not just her and Taylor...

If this tragic story teaches you nothing else - make a will and be specific about your wishes especially if you've re-married and want to make sure something is left or done for your children from previous relationships. Wills aren't just for "old" people - regardless of your age, you should make one TODAY.

muggle not
15th November 2008, 23:18
Stan mentioned the widow Earnhardt’s pack with the devil and it’s my personal opinion that’s the reason for Team Hendrick’s success over the past 13 or so years. Rick sold his soul.

Hendrick’s teams were successful before, but not nearly to the dominance that started with Gordon’s first championship in 1995 and has run through this season.

This is going to sound heartless, but every once in a while "the anti-christ" comes a calling for payback…Rick’s leukemia, Rick’s federal charges and the plane crash outside of Martinsville, VA.
You aren't serious are you. :rolleyes:

call_me_andrew
16th November 2008, 04:39
Since when is Chip Ganassi the Devil?

Jag_Warrior
16th November 2008, 23:56
Since when is Chip Ganassi the Devil?

I admit, I used to think Chip was pretty shady... then I got a whiff of Paul Gentilozzi. Gentilozzi: from someone I once respected to someone who made me think, "ya know, that Andy Evans wasn't such a bad guy afterall."

I'm not a Ganassi fan. But I don't see how he or Rick Hendrick have pacts with the ol' Scratch. Maybe I'm just not gettin' the memos anymore... :confused:

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
17th November 2008, 10:01
They are just doing what they need to do to survive. Now if Dale Jr was still at DEI what it be in this much trouble?... I doubt it. He would still be bringing in the bucks and sponsorship.

Anyone the has seen the Documentary "Dale" know's theres a line in that where he says "Im building this race team for my kids". Teresa should have done the right thing 18months ago when Dale Jr said he wanted a say in the way the company is run and 50%. He would have been able to attract the right people and the money. She's now getting her Comeuppance for been so greedy.

wedge
17th November 2008, 12:14

Dude, that wasn't heartless, that was uncalled for. :down:

colinspooky
17th November 2008, 13:36
Stan mentioned the widow Earnhardt’s pack with the devil and it’s my personal opinion that’s the reason for Team Hendrick’s success over the past 13 or so years. Rick sold his soul.

You what ??!?!!>!> !!>??? :eek:

Is this a new Omen script idea? :rolleyes:

ms0362
17th November 2008, 21:00
I'm sure more team partnerships are in the future. The size of these teams and the expenses are going to have to get cut down. They need to get the costs back down to 12-15 mil a season per car or they won't get any sponsorship.

But mmmm...let's see... wasn't that one of the contributing factors for the COT? Or was it better racing? Don't think we got either.

youtellme
27th November 2008, 02:22
HMS Holdings, the off shoot of Hendrick Motorsports which owns the Hendrick engine department, is suing DEI for $1.5 million.

Ginn Racing had an agreement to buy engines from HMS. When DEI bought Ginn in 2007 they assumed all of Ginn's contracts. So, DEI had to get out of the Hendrick engine deal since they build their own engines.

The two agreed to a buyout of the contract. DEI was to pay $1.75 million in July of 2007 then $1.5 million in Nov. of 2008.

The first payment was made but the second was not. Hendrick is seeking the $1.5 million plus interest and another $225,000 for their troubles.

Hendrick wasted no time taking this to court. It makes me think they know DEI is in trouble and they are trying to get their money before the ship goes under.

djhany
27th November 2008, 07:02
Hendrick wasted no time taking this to court. It makes me think they know DEI is in trouble and they are trying to get their money before the ship goes under.

business is business :s mokin:

colinspooky
27th November 2008, 11:23
Amazing the amount of money sloshing around in big business. :(

Wish I had some of it.

youtellme
27th November 2008, 14:08
Also be looking for the Feds to get into racing with DEI

Jag_Warrior
27th November 2008, 19:12
Also be looking for the Feds to get into racing with DEI

Did they do some Gene Haas/Helio Castroneves/Morgan-McClure type stuff?

Jonesi
27th November 2008, 23:52
Did they do some Gene Haas/Helio Castroneves/Morgan-McClure type stuff?

No, I think he was implying a bailout. ;-)

youtellme
28th November 2008, 15:18
Nope Feds as in going down!!

Jag_Warrior
29th November 2008, 17:54
Oh, I get it now. :D

Well, Teresa made her bed, now I guess it's on fire. Too bad to see Dale's operation go down the tubes like that though.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
4th December 2008, 11:35
She shot herself in the foot. Its the employees i feel sorry for.

Lee Roy
4th December 2008, 15:02
All successful teams have a dynamic individual who owns and motivates the team. Rick Hendrick, Jack Roush, Joe Gibbs and Richard Childress, for example.

Once Dale Earnhardt died, that team needed either Dale Jr. to step up and take on that mantle, if he could, or sell the team to some dynamic individual. Not to say anything bad about Teresa, but I don't think she was the one to continue ownership of that team and expect the team to prosper.

carracing
4th December 2008, 16:32
I agree - I feel sorry for the employees. These guys were so proud to be associated with something Dale Sr. started - but the first sign it would be going under was when Teresa got stupid with the Earnhardt legacy - his children. Well said - she definitely made her bed... sad, really...

:(

RaceFanStan
5th December 2008, 12:10
I hope Teresa got a good price for betraying Dale's vision. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
5th December 2008, 16:24
I hope Teresa got a good price for betraying Dale's vision. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Thats what really makes me angry. Dale built it "for his kids" in his own words and this thieving bint (who is quite happy to slap Dale Sr.'s name on anything with a surface) took little intrest in the company, wouldnt give it to Dale's kids a year ago and has now (with DEI on its last legs) has gone into a merger with Ganassi.

Harvick was right, she is a deadbeat owner! and an arsehole at that.

RaceFanStan
5th December 2008, 17:21
Dale Jr made a fair offer to buy DEI from Teresa but she wouldn't hear of it. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif
I guess Teresa would rather lay with the Chipster then keep DEI in the family. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/s.gif
I hope how soon she is gone from NASCAR, just looking at her now makes me sick.

(with Chipster, her fate is sealed, soon DEI will likely be only a memory.)

Jag_Warrior
6th December 2008, 21:04
I have no use for Teresa Earnhardt. But how often is it that you hear about stepmothers pushing the stepkids to the side once pops is gone? From what little I've read about the Earnhardts, Teresa wasn't particularly close to Dale's kids from his first marriage anyway. So it seems like he would have made more specific provisions in his will - especially given the dangerous nature of his profession.

I'm not letting Teresa off the hook. But since she's now in the clutches of Chip Ganassi, I figure Karma has a plan for her that is worse than anything that I can imagine. What did Jimmy Vasser say a decade or so ago? "There's no 'i' in 'team', but there is in 'Chip'!"

carracing
8th December 2008, 19:36
Thats what really makes me angry. Dale built it "for his kids" in his own words and this thieving bint (who is quite happy to slap Dale Sr.'s name on anything with a surface) took little intrest in the company, wouldnt give it to Dale's kids a year ago and has now (with DEI on its last legs) has gone into a merger with Ganassi.

Harvick was right, she is a deadbeat owner! and an arsehole at that.

Well said - and "anything with a surface" is so dead on. We told the family to quit buying things for hub's b-day/Christmas, etc. that comes from DEI - don't want her to get another penny. The fans want the #3 stuff as memories of Dale, but not at the cost of supporting Teresa.

tstran17_88
12th December 2008, 18:54
(with Chipster, her fate is sealed, soon DEI will likely be only a memory.)Yup...you can't take the "ass" out of "Ganassi"! :laugh:

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2008, 05:42
All successful teams have a dynamic individual who owns and motivates the team. Rick Hendrick, Jack Roush, Joe Gibbs and Richard Childress, for example.

Once Dale Earnhardt died, that team needed either Dale Jr. to step up and take on that mantle, if he could, or sell the team to some dynamic individual. Not to say anything bad about Teresa, but I don't think she was the one to continue ownership of that team and expect the team to prosper.

Lee Roy, I agree with you 100% on this.

AS for Teresa, I wont be as harsh as many of you guys are. I think she doesn't know what the right answers are and lets face it, what Kelley and Jr. were proposing was the exact sort of deal that Tony Stewart got from Haas. It just sounded so much for a guy who still had a lot to prove and I cant blame her from being hesitant. I think she made the wrong call and said so then, but I wont toss her under the bus entirely. If she had Max Siegal in doing the negotiations sooner and had kept it on a business level, I think a deal might have been reached. Teresa isn't stupid, and she is the one that got Dale Sr. into the stratosphere financially. She isn't stupid, but she didn't understand how to run a race team. She cannot and couldn't learn what Senior knew. It is a business that has a bit of a black magic aspect and she couldn't understand what Junior was asking for.

Well...this is where it ends up. Lawsuits and shutting down teams. No guarntee's they would be winning championships with Jr. running the racing dept. but I do know they wouldn't be in the shape they are in now....

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
16th December 2008, 13:02
Lee Roy, I agree with you 100% on this.

AS for Teresa, I wont be as harsh as many of you guys are. I think she doesn't know what the right answers are and lets face it, what Kelley and Jr. were proposing was the exact sort of deal that Tony Stewart got from Haas. It just sounded so much for a guy who still had a lot to prove and I cant blame her from being hesitant. I think she made the wrong call and said so then, but I wont toss her under the bus entirely. If she had Max Siegal in doing the negotiations sooner and had kept it on a business level, I think a deal might have been reached. Teresa isn't stupid, and she is the one that got Dale Sr. into the stratosphere financially. She isn't stupid, but she didn't understand how to run a race team. She cannot and couldn't learn what Senior knew. It is a business that has a bit of a black magic aspect and she couldn't understand what Junior was asking for.

Well...this is where it ends up. Lawsuits and shutting down teams. No guarntee's they would be winning championships with Jr. running the racing dept. but I do know they wouldn't be in the shape they are in now....

At least they would of had some guaranteed sponsership. Even some of the other drivers sponsers were at DEI hoping some of the Jr Factor would rub off. And once fans saw Jr. and the Eurys leave (leaving DEI Earnhardtless essentially) they lost interest in the team.

I bet shes at home kicking herself for not taking Jr's deal.

carracing
17th December 2008, 08:11
At least they would of had some guaranteed sponsership. Even some of the other drivers sponsers were at DEI hoping some of the Jr Factor would rub off. And once fans saw Jr. and the Eurys leave (leaving DEI Earnhardtless essentially) they lost interest in the team.

I bet shes at home kicking herself for not taking Jr's deal.

I just keep remembering what Tony Stewart said once (paraphrasing here, not an exact quote) - that DEI without Dale is just a museum. How true.

Mark in Oshawa
17th December 2008, 08:52
I don't think Teresa ever once looked upon Jr. Leaving as impossible. Gibbs, Roush, RCR and Penske all have won races without Jr. They are not going anywhere either. Jr. isn't the be all and end all to racing cars. HE is however the most popular driver and finding a sponsor is a damned sight easier with him on your team.

Teresa probably figured she would find a way because other teams found ways to get sponsors without Jr. She likely figured Truex might have a good break out season too. She was WRONG on these counts and Tony Stewart is looking pretty much dead on the money but I wouldn't say she was the first owner in racing who didn't figure losing a driver would be a death knell. In this case...it was...but most of the time it isn't.

Mark in Oshawa
17th December 2008, 20:17
this deal happened because Teresa got her self boxed in. If there are not two teammates for Truex, he and Bass Pro have an opt out clause to leave and THAT would be the end so if she couldn't get sponsors for the 8 and the 01, Menard leaving left her little choice but to find a Merger. Ganassi's issues are similar.

This is a symptom of bad decisions and an economic climate unfriendly to companies blowing millions in Cup racing. No devils or comeuppances necessary.

ms0362
4th January 2009, 03:38
Guess DEI should have found out what kind of baggage Bobby Ginn had before they joined forces. From what I could tell, he had a sticky reputation. Guess they shouldn't have been so desperate.

trumperZ06
18th January 2009, 18:38
:dozey: According to Fox News, Truex says EGR will start three cars for Daytona's 500.

After that they only have two cars with sponsors, his & Montoya's.

:rolleyes: Maybe Tony Stewart was right when he said DEI would wind up being a museum.

The current economy has hastened DEI's problems,

which were evident when Jr. & Bud departed.

Mark in Oshawa
18th January 2009, 23:28
Theresa rolled the dice....and came up Snake eyes.

When John Menard's money left, that was the pounding of nails in the coffin lid...

Sparky1329
19th January 2009, 04:45
Teresa Earnhardt lost more good solid sponsors than some teams ever had. Losing Budweiser, Dale Jr and John Menard were the nails in the coffin. Smart businesswoman my butt. If Martin Truex is smart he'll blow that pop stand ASAP.

Jonesi
19th January 2009, 05:28
Teresa Earnhardt lost more good solid sponsors than some teams ever had. Losing Budweiser, Dale Jr and John Menard were the nails in the coffin. Smart businesswoman my butt. If Martin Truex is smart he'll blow that pop stand ASAP.

This should be the last year on the current contract. If he can make the chase this year, he'll probably get some good offers even in a tight economy.

Sparky1329
20th January 2009, 05:45
This should be the last year on the current contract. If he can make the chase this year, he'll probably get some good offers even in a tight economy.

Rumor has it that Martin and Bass Pro Shops have an out in the contract extension option that DEI exercised and was negotiated in 2008. According to this rumor if DEI doesn't field three fully funded Cup cars they can depart for other opportunities before the end of 2009. How true that is I don't know but DEI wasn't in much of a position to argue when that option was negotiated. Martin wasn't either because most of the decent available rides were already settled or close to it at that point.

I hate to see Martin have to ride out a whole season in a mediocre car which is what he'll surely get in 2009. When you combine two crappy race organizations all you get is a bigger pile of crap. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Martin gets close to making the Chase.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
21st January 2009, 16:03
Rumor has it that Martin and Bass Pro Shops have an out in the contract extension option that DEI exercised and was negotiated in 2008. According to this rumor if DEI doesn't field three fully funded Cup cars they can depart for other opportunities before the end of 2009. How true that is I don't know but DEI wasn't in much of a position to argue when that option was negotiated. Martin wasn't either because most of the decent available rides were already settled or close to it at that point.

I hate to see Martin have to ride out a whole season in a mediocre car which is what he'll surely get in 2009. When you combine two crappy race organizations all you get is a bigger pile of crap. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Martin gets close to making the Chase.

Lets hope for the sake of the Pettys and GEM that they can turn their two turds into Roses.

willracefan
5th February 2009, 17:49
who cares? martin should go anyway he deserves better. as for the rest, including punktoya they can drive into a ditch.