PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunately he (Montoya) no longer wants to be in Formula 1

CNR
11th November 2008, 11:22
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11112008/23/str-confess-failed-pursuit-piquet-montoya.html

More surprisingly still, team principal Franz Tost has now revealed that he also approached Montoya about the possibility of a shock return to the top flight. The 33-year-old Colombian triumphed in seven grands prix for BMW (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/formula-1/bmw-sauber.html)-Williams and McLaren-Mercedes over the course of his six-year F1 career, before acrimoniously walking away from the Woking-based outfit midway through the 2006 campaign to return across the Pond and compete in NASCAR. "Unfortunately he no longer wants to be in Formula 1," Tost is quoted as having said by German magazine Auto Motor und Sport.

ShiftingGears
11th November 2008, 11:26
Never had the brains to harness his talent.

I am evil Homer
11th November 2008, 11:28
Agreed...sublimely talented driver but in many ways an enigma. I always liked him at least he had a personality unlike many others.

ArrowsFA1
11th November 2008, 11:45
Montoya has consistently said he has no interest in returning to F1. He's enjoying life and NASCAR too much. Good luck to him :cool:

He probably doesn't particularly enjoy getting intentionally wrecked (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=igNx3PHo9sc) though, particularly as the Ganassi seem to have finally got themselves a top 10 car.

Knock-on
11th November 2008, 11:50
I love Monty for his dazzleing ability but he just couldn't handle the politics of the sport.

30 years ago then he was ideal but unfortunatly not now.

driveace
11th November 2008, 11:50
I always liked Jaun Pablo as a person .he would always come out on the pit wall and was a good freind of Marc Gene,and had a happy personality,I think the big thing with him was the same as all top drivers,they get married and her indoors keeps reminding them to go carefully and dont forget your wife and children.And that is I think part of his reason,he probably though he was safer in the states

ShiftingGears
11th November 2008, 11:52
Montoya has consistently said he has no interest in returning to F1. He's enjoying life and NASCAR too much. Good luck to him :cool:

He probably doesn't particularly enjoy getting intentionally wrecked (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=igNx3PHo9sc) though, particularly as the Ganassi seem to have finally got themselves a top 10 car.

It doesn't look intentional there. Gilliland holds his line and Montoya comes up on him.

Tom206wrc
11th November 2008, 12:09
And in the same time Berger says about Bourdais that he's not enough self-confident as not enough confident in his car... :s

It really looks like no more Sébastien at TR in 2009 :mark:

ArrowsFA1
11th November 2008, 12:26
It doesn't look intentional there. Gilliland holds his line and Montoya comes up on him.
Ok, maybe that was a harsh description (lifted from an alternative clip!) but Gilliland was called to pitroad then parked for the day by NASCAR for the incident.

11th November 2008, 13:42

Ok, maybe that was a harsh description (lifted from an alternative clip!) but Gilliland was called to pitroad then parked for the day by NASCAR for the incident.

Well, if you can't take it....don't give it out.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QwsYCN1g0xw&feature=related

ArrowsFA1
11th November 2008, 14:06
Well, if you can't take it....don't give it out
Kevin Harvick VS Juan Pablo Montoya is quite a good one as well :p Juan's havin' fun :s mokin:

11th November 2008, 14:13
Kevin Harvick VS Juan Pablo Montoya is quite a good one as well :p Juan's havin' fun :s mokin:

Wouldn't disagree with that

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e_yJHsYires&feature=related

Daika
11th November 2008, 14:24
I just went to his official website to see how he was doing. Don't wanna be rude but he looks out of shape to even fit into a formula 1 car.

ioan
11th November 2008, 14:46
I just went to his official website to see how he was doing. Don't wanna be rude but he looks out of shape to even fit into a formula 1 car.

The perfect excuse not to do it! ;)

gloomyDAY
11th November 2008, 16:14
So, it's been two years since Montoya left F1 and we're all obsessed with what decisions Juan has made. I don't blame Juan for not wanting to leave America, especially for STR, because he is more free to express his views and politics does not interfere with racing. Formula 1 is like a gentleman's sport with white gloves and incessant whining.

Juanito can get as fat as he wants and live up the high life in the USA. As of right now he is making plenty of money and NASCAR is just too much fun.

/thread

Allyc85
11th November 2008, 16:17
Old news, he said this ages ago....

goodf1fun
11th November 2008, 20:05
unfortunately he no longer wants to be in f1? who cares about him?
he didn't prove anything the years he was in f1. only to complain about other drivers nothing else.. and hitting the camera men...

Tazio
12th November 2008, 03:20
I miss that little monkey! :p :

Areez2006
12th November 2008, 04:41
I miss that little monkey! :p :

:mark:

Storm
12th November 2008, 04:45
Most exciting driver in F1 in the recent past...I still miss him.
Atleast he is happy doing what he is doing now.

Still would have liked to see him compete a few years in F1 and get a title. Supremely talented but I doubt he would have held it together all year. :(

wedge
12th November 2008, 13:15
As much as I admire JPM, I wouldn't want him in F1 now. We've got Lewis who's the same as JPM but with less aggro.

I'd rather see him succeed in NASCAR.

In same mould as Clark and Andretti, JPM can drive anything.

airshifter
13th November 2008, 00:46
he didn't prove anything the years he was in f1. only to complain about other drivers nothing else.. and hitting the camera men...

....not to mention making passes on Shumacher that nobody else even had the guts to try. Like him or not, the man has talent. He just often lacked the ability to reel it in some, and must have forgotten how fragile F1 cars can be. :laugh:

AndyRAC
13th November 2008, 08:32
JPM gets stick for realising there is a life outside of F1 - and that there are other racing series out there.

52Paddy
13th November 2008, 09:33
Montoya grew on me through the years. Initially I thought he was a whining little git. That he never said anything particularly productive, albeit sometimes funny. But then I realized that F1 is not his type of sport. He can drive as well as any guy out on the track, but in F1, the driving is only one part of it. And Montoya lacked the temperament (for the want of a better word) needed to succeed in F1 today.

I love Monty for his dazzleing ability but he just couldn't handle the politics of the sport.

30 years ago then he was ideal but unfortunatly not now.

:up: Definitely

I'm glad he's enjoying himself now. I wouldn't like to see him back in F1 because its not for him, regardless of how fast he could be.

555-04Q2
13th November 2008, 10:41
Thank goodness he doesnt wanna come back. Never liked Mr "You Broke My Head" anyway :laugh:

Big Ben
13th November 2008, 11:03
An offer from let's say Ferrari for example might change the perspective a bit...

Roamy
14th November 2008, 05:57
juan's loving life - thinks he would ever want to listen to Berger's sh!t - not in your lifetime.

F1boat
14th November 2008, 05:59
IMO he should return to open wheelers, but in the IRL, not in F1. But with the new merger of DEI and Ganassi, he might be competitive even in NASCAR, who knows?

Roamy
14th November 2008, 06:33
well he should be better as the dodge sucks- but irl is taking a new direction and i don't thing any of the known guys need to go there. I am more excited and AGp1 or whatever then call it.. country against country with two car teams could be awesome

carracing
15th November 2008, 19:26
I know a lot of NASCAR fans that would like to see Juan Pablo go back to F1... IRL... or anywhere for that matter. lol He didn't get the fan following that I think he THOUGHT he might get in stock car racing, but I have to agree with the other poster - he's grown on me a bit too. He comes off as really whiny and annoying at first, but now that he's settling in and the personality is coming out - he's not THAT bad.

;)

52Paddy
16th November 2008, 10:34
I know a lot of NASCAR fans that would like to see Juan Pablo go back to F1... IRL... or anywhere for that matter. lol He didn't get the fan following that I think he THOUGHT he might get in stock car racing, ;)

It depends. If his goal is to create a fan base, I agree with you. But if his goal is to have fun and enjoy himself (which I believe is close to the truth), then he should stick where he is. And I think he will, for a while at least.

markabilly
16th November 2008, 14:07
"Unfortunately he no longer wants to be in Formula 1,"

Not only JPM but just saw where Scott Speed said the same thing to ron dennis's offer to replace HK....

nigelred5
16th November 2008, 17:00

Well, he proved he could win formula one races repeatedly and for different teams. That's more than the vast majority of drivers that ever compete in F1 do. I think that he also proved in the last two years that F1 isn't the panacea that everyone makes it out to be. He's been FAR and away happier racing in America than he ever was in F1. He's not a European and I've been told repeatedly he did not particularly care for the European lifestyle. For such an emotional personality, Juan is very laid back. He gets to spend near every day with his family, even racing 40 weekends + testing days a year. He's said repeatedly, He's far happier RACING than testing, practicing and qualifying the majority of the time than turning 1000 laps testing and practicing.
In the past 10 years or so, F1 has become almost exclusively the place for very young, single drivers. It's no environment for a driver that wishes to have any sort of a family life. Even the playboys of old wouldn't be so very happy in Today's F1. JuanPablo can easily race competetively for another ten years in NASCAR and spend 4 nights a week in his own bed. Been there, done that.

I for one am glad he's staying right where he is.

nigelred5
16th November 2008, 17:12
I know a lot of NASCAR fans that would like to see Juan Pablo go back to F1... IRL... or anywhere for that matter. lol He didn't get the fan following that I think he THOUGHT he might get in stock car racing, but I have to agree with the other poster - he's grown on me a bit too. He comes off as really whiny and annoying at first, but now that he's settling in and the personality is coming out - he's not THAT bad.

;) Juan is honest, matter of fact and blunt and he doesn't take $#it. People that don't like that kind of driver aren't gonna like Juan, That's for sure. He's no Jeff Gordon, but he's every bit as talented of a driver. Juan's problem in NASCAR is Ganassi. Ol Cheepster just isn't the top tier organization in NASCAR as he is in Indycars and GrandAm where he also has the opportunity to drive during the NASCAR season if he chooses. When ws the last time anyone driving full time in F1 showed up to drive in any other category during the F1 season.

nigelred5
16th November 2008, 17:15
"Unfortunately he no longer wants to be in Formula 1,"

Not only JPM but just saw where Scott Speed said the same thing to ron dennis's offer to replace HK....

I''ve seen Speedie smiling more this year than I ever did in F1. Winning does that, even if it's in a 3rd tier series. Nice job qualifying in 2nd for Today's final NASCAR race of the season in a supposedly crap car.