PDA

View Full Version : Alonso sticks with Renault

CNR
6th November 2008, 21:02
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=e47344c9-ce72-41e1-8eb5-da4c3e307a39

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso has agreed to stay with the Renault Formula One team for the next two seasons, while Nelson Piquet signed a new one-year deal. Alonso, 27

Piquet extend deals with Renault Formula 1 team

Tazio
6th November 2008, 21:16
:)

keysersoze
6th November 2008, 22:06
Alonso staying was not a surprise.

Keeping Junior? Now THAT was a surprise. :eek:

DazzlaF1
6th November 2008, 22:09

Aye, i was expecting di Grassi to get the drive, maybe that podium at hockenheim saved his bacon

gloomyDAY
6th November 2008, 22:14
:) omfg

LOL

Sleeper
6th November 2008, 22:47
Aye, i was expecting di Grassi to get the drive, maybe that podium at hockenheim saved his bacon
More likely those points finishes in Japan and China, as they were down to pace.

truefan72
6th November 2008, 22:54

will be replaced before mid season next year

Valve Bounce
6th November 2008, 23:33

When you really think about it, Junior was the best choice for a team mate for Fonzo. He ain't never going to upset the guy unless he tail boned him. :eek:

drinkyourmilk
7th November 2008, 02:32
I'm not sure about Piquet; on one hand he's retired in nearly half of the races this season (9 times), but on the other hand when he actually finished his results weren't half bad. I would have given him the boot but I'm sure more than just results are playing into their decision to keep him

Valve Bounce
7th November 2008, 03:12
I'm not sure about Piquet; on one hand he's retired in nearly half of the races this season (9 times), but on the other hand when he actually finished his results weren't half bad. I would have given him the boot but I'm sure more than just results are playing into their decision to keep him

Well yeah!! he hasn't bothered Fonzo in a single race - or even quals, that I know of. That must count for something.

leopard
7th November 2008, 06:53
:)

Rather than having camaraderie it looks Massa is trying to wrestle Alonso. :)

keysersoze
7th November 2008, 12:35
Davidson, Klein, Liuzzi would all be a marked improvement. Of the drivers rumored to be on the outs with their respective teams, Barrichello and Bourdais would've been terrific.

All of the drivers listed are very quick, but not too quick. Piquet is just too far away from Alonso. With this decision, Renault seems uninterested in the Constructor's Championship.

Valve Bounce
8th November 2008, 04:05
Davidson, Klein, Liuzzi would all be a marked improvement. Of the drivers rumored to be on the outs with their respective teams, Barrichello and Bourdais would've been terrific.

All of the drivers listed are very quick, but not too quick. Piquet is just too far away from Alonso. With this decision, Renault seems uninterested in the Constructor's Championship.

Maybe the name brings decent sponsorship.

jens
8th November 2008, 09:15
Renault just announced that they don't want 2009 WCC title. To those, who have in the past complained about Fisichella and Kovalainen being a waste of seat in a top car - well, with Piquet you can see, what does a bad driver in a top car really mean!

Some guys may perform brilliantly for a decade, but never get a proper chance. And then there is a guy, who doesn't need to prove anything, but is nonetheless awarded top opportunities...

Valve Bounce
8th November 2008, 09:59
Renault just announced that they don't want 2009 WCC title. To those, who have in the past complained about Fisichella and Kovalainen being a waste of seat in a top car - well, with Piquet you can see, what does a bad driver in a top car really mean!

Some guy who would never bother their #1 driver. Now that makes sense, doesn't it?

Roamy
8th November 2008, 17:06
good move by renault - now hire a brilliant guy for the test position before you throw him in

F1boat
8th November 2008, 21:12
I think that it is a sensible decision. While Nelson is improving, he could be no more that a solid number two driver to the team leader Alonso, as is Kovalainen to Lewis Hamilton. This for me is a winning strategy.

bowers
8th November 2008, 22:46

100% agreed.

Valve Bounce
9th November 2008, 00:07
I think that it is a sensible decision. While Nelson is improving, he could be no more that a solid number two driver to the team leader Alonso, as is Kovalainen to Lewis Hamilton. This for me is a winning strategy.

I think we need clarification of the word "solid" here. I suppose if he hits a McLaren or Ferrari, then that would be solid enough. :p :

Roamy
9th November 2008, 10:38
it is a good move - renault wants to concentrate on the car with alonso. Piq will not be demanding and is getting quicker.

Dave B
9th November 2008, 14:53
Sensible move by Renault, Piquet won't be a threat. Alonso may be gifted but we all know how he throws his toys out of the pram when his team-mate beats him, even on those few occasions where Fisi showed some real pace.

BDunnell
9th November 2008, 16:59
Sensible move by Renault, Piquet won't be a threat. Alonso may be gifted but we all know how he throws his toys out of the pram when his team-mate beats him, even on those few occasions where Fisi showed some real pace.

But, it would seem that Alonso doesn't hold a grudge for too long.

Long may he prosper at Renault — his presence there will help ensure it's another team that's a force at the front.

truefan72
9th November 2008, 18:52
Alonso will be better served by a more competitive teammate who can run near the top and support him in that arena ala fisichella. Piquet is just not good enough to be driving the renault. If it was simply a matter of inconsistency of pace, I could live with it. It is the accidents, incidents, and driver errors that realy bother me. Just simply too many to justify his seat.
Alonso may be the #1 but you need a solid #2 which piquet isn't.

But I am happy for Renault, with their continued improvement and along with STR (if they stay as competitive) we will have 5 legitimate GP winning cars on the grid. Which I rather enjoy.