PDA

View Full Version : So whats been happening to this forum then..

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 16:44
Almost all the old faces have disappeared that i used to chat to and theres still threads to the 25th of Oct on P1 of CC :mark:

Used to be a time when you'd get up each am and find a whole load of "replied to" threads all the way down P1

Every thread used to have a ton of replies too

As for the Nascar page, well :(

And wheres my bud CarlMetro :(

And this isn't a "dig" at the forum either before anyone says. It just seems different to how it used to be before my enforced absence

btw.. how does one put a US flag next to their name here?? :dog:

Mark
4th November 2008, 16:51
Times aren't what they used to be! Everyone has gone to post on facebook! :p .
You can change your flag from your profile options.
ps Watch out Whitbread don't sue your ass for stealing one of thier brand names ;)

Kneeslider
4th November 2008, 17:00
Ah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

Perhaps we have all got so tired of each other's company that there is nothing left to argue about?

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 17:25
Times aren't what they used to be! Everyone has gone to post on facebook! :p .
You can change your flag from your profile options.
ps Watch out Whitbread don't sue your ass for stealing one of thier brand names ;)

"CarlMetros" a brand name? :eek:

Hazell B
4th November 2008, 19:04
Naw, Carl's a whole brand to himself :p :
Actually Carl's not been here in maybe a year or so. He's just moved along with his life but is fine, as are wife Sam and baby Oliver.

IanMcC's the same, though not with Sam and Ollie :p :

Daniel
4th November 2008, 19:19
It's funny, I was going to post this about a week ago but I felt a little too sad to do so. It's weird, i do remember when you finished a post and in that time there were 10 new posts to read but sadly times have changed. I feel very sad about it because I remember when it was just a few people rattling around, then came the big numbers of really great people came along. I do hope things go back to that way but i just don't see that happening sadly.

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 19:20
well at least your still here Hazel :kiss:

people moving on with their lives?? Damn who would do such a thing :D

Daniel
4th November 2008, 19:22
I'm not Hazell! I'm Daniel :p

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 19:23
Sorry..who?

I don't believe you've had the pleasure...

Daniel
4th November 2008, 19:26
I think I remember you from somewhere? Any chance of adding a t onto Fred's last name Mark? :)

Ian McC
4th November 2008, 19:33
Bloody hell it's Fred! :eek:

How the hell are ya?

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 19:33
The "original and one and only" Fred Bassett with 2 t's is still banned it would seem :mark:

Ian McC
4th November 2008, 19:34
IanMcC's the same, though not with Sam and Ollie :p :

You're wrong there, Carl and I like to do the whole 'wife swap' routine now and again :p

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 19:35
Bloody hell it's Fred! :eek:

How the hell are ya?

and there was me hearing you didn't post here anymore Ian :wave:
I kinda moved on with my life.... :eek: ;)

Ian McC
4th November 2008, 19:39
and there was me hearing you didn't post here anymore Ian :wave:
I kinda moved on with my life.... :eek: ;)

Oh I pop into the F1 forum now and again but it's been a long while since I was in here.

Hope you're keeping out of trouble ;)

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 19:42
Yes i am.. Running a successful business in the US now :)

Hows your world Ian?

Ian McC
4th November 2008, 19:43
Fine thanks, older, no wiser but I am now a father so i guess I should grow up!

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 19:46
Fine thanks, older, no wiser but I am now a father so i guess I should grow up!

:eek:

Congrats, well done and good luck :)

If you see Carl, tell him i said Hi

Ian McC
4th November 2008, 19:47
:eek:

Congrats, well done and good luck :)

If you see Carl, tell him i said Hi

Thanks!

I will send him a message on Facebook

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 20:07
I'm on there too.. i'll look out for you :up:

Ian McC
4th November 2008, 20:24
I'm on there too.. i'll look out for you :up:

That would be Bassett with 2 t's? :p

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 20:44
Ummm no it would be under my business name :) :D

Wanna know it??

I looked for "Carlmetro" but he wasn't there :mark:

Ian McC
4th November 2008, 20:48
Ummm no it would be under my business name :) :D

Wanna know it??

I looked for "Carlmetro" but he wasn't there :mark:

Have just sent you a PM

Fred Basset
4th November 2008, 20:56
Read, replied and digested :)

ArrowsFA1
5th November 2008, 08:09
What did ever happen to Fred Bassett? Is he alive and well?

http://www.toonhound.com/fredbasset.gif

Mark
5th November 2008, 08:23
I think the thing is that people leave forums for whatever reasons, the industry term is 'churn' and they need to be replaced by new members. But these days people have a lot of different things competing for their time, and thousands of different forums. Back in 2000 when we first set up we were only of only a few major motorsport discussion forums on the internet, but now setting up a forum is easy, and everyone has got one!

Plus we heavily rely on our partner sites to drive traffic to the forums, but they've been suffering from the same competition etc too, and new partner sites have no joined, as why would they because setting up your own forums is so easy.

leopard
5th November 2008, 08:47
It is almost certain once being connected to internet and visiting here I see message on the top welcoming new members, some of which didn't make a word because their user name consist of consonants. I think this forum have high traffic. :up: :)

Mark
5th November 2008, 08:53
It is almost certain once being connected to internet and visiting here I see message on the top welcoming new members, some of which didn't make a word because their user name consist of consonants.

That'll be the spam bots then.

AndySpeed
5th November 2008, 11:24
That'll be the spam bots then.

When registering is there not a 'please enter the letters from the above image' thing to stop the spam bots?

BDunnell
6th November 2008, 20:10
What has been happening on this forum? It's been going offline, that's what!

MrJan
6th November 2008, 20:54
I've noticed a recent decline with the disappearance of Mr Oaf, Senor Metro and several others.

Eki
6th November 2008, 20:59
Long time no wag :wave:

Ian McC
6th November 2008, 21:54
Blimey, even Eki is still here!

leopard
7th November 2008, 03:54
When registering is there not a 'please enter the letters from the above image' thing to stop the spam bots?

Couldn't you remember how were you registered? ;)

raybak
8th November 2008, 10:27
I'm still here after 7 years.

There is still plenty happening.

The forums have been useful to me, I picked up my first codrive in the WRC from these forums.

Ray

AndySpeed
8th November 2008, 11:07
Couldn't you remember how were you registered? ;)

Can I remember 6 and a half years ago? Mate, I can hardly remember what I did yesterday!

Brown, Jon Brow
8th November 2008, 13:01
What we need is a 'banter' thread. Just a thread for discussing anything, it would help rival facebook and the 'wall' on there.

wedge
8th November 2008, 14:31
I've avoided Facebook like the plague but now I'm considering.

What's the link?

The forum is definitely not what it used to be - Touring Cars and NASCAR especially. F1 has been the same as its always been and IRL/AOWR has been revitalised since the merger.

Azumanga Davo
8th November 2008, 15:16
Blimey, even Eki is still here!

We apologise for this unreservedly...

RaceFanStan
8th November 2008, 15:16
The "original and one and only" Fred Bassett with 2 t's is still banned it would seem :mark:
I did a search for the "original and one and only" Fred Bassett (with 2 t's),
it would appear you have received a pardon. :D :up:
(it wasn't me but I was thinking about doing it.)
Welcome Back Fred !!! :D :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
8th November 2008, 15:42
Long time no wag :wave:

We love you Eki! :)

What happened to Erki?

Ian McC
8th November 2008, 18:00
What happened to Erki?

Who????

:p

SubaruNorway
8th November 2008, 18:03
I miss having Gurl Racer on here. Nicer when there is someone you really know... :\

But yeah like i have maybe 5-7 forums i go through each day so it takes it's man to keep up.

BeansBeansBeans
8th November 2008, 21:46
I've only been a rare visitor for the last 18 months or so, but I like to drop in now and again.

This was the first internet forum I ever joined, but I used to be a bit of a pillock at times, so I disappeared and found other forums where I could start afresh.

Daniel
8th November 2008, 21:54
I've only been a rare visitor for the last 18 months or so, but I like to drop in now and again.

This was the first internet forum I ever joined, but I used to be a bit of a pillock at times, so I disappeared and found other forums where I could start afresh.
Mate :)

If everyone who hadn't been a pillock at some stage on this forum had left the forum would be practically empty :mark: I for one miss your presence on these forums :)

BeansBeansBeans
8th November 2008, 22:06

If everyone who hadn't been a pillock at some stage on this forum had left the forum would be practically empty :mark: I for one miss your presence on these forums :)

You're very kind!

I think Mark's right about the emergence of social networking. It's easy to waste about two hours on Facebook without acheiving anything.

BDunnell
8th November 2008, 23:14

I agree.

Daniel
9th November 2008, 16:41
You're very kind!

You seem to have mistaken me for someone else :p

Brown, Jon Brow
12th November 2008, 09:38
You seem to have mistaken me for someone else :p

We all know you are as soft as a kitten really :p

MrJan
12th November 2008, 09:55
We all know you are as soft as a kitten really :p

I didn't know that :p : :D

Drew
12th November 2008, 20:12
Christ, Fred Bassett! Next it'll be Oily!

Eki
12th November 2008, 20:54
Or Adrian J, Ibby, Lizzardking or Demolicion Chica.

Fred Basset
13th November 2008, 03:36

I hope Jesus knows how lucky he is to be thought of in the same sentence as me :dog:

"Knock On" and "Kitten Kat" ?? :(

pino
13th November 2008, 08:53
"Knock On" and "Kitten Kat" ?? :(

Knock-On still here and you can find Him "trolling" on F1 Forum :blackeye: :p :

SOD
13th November 2008, 11:23
whaasuppppp?

Daniel
13th November 2008, 11:38
Knock-On still here and you can find Him "trolling" on F1 Forum :blackeye: :p :

Now now provide evidence and links and so on :p

LotusElise
14th November 2008, 21:43
I used to be a daily poster, but then my other non-forum-based life intervened and I nearly forgot about this place.
I'm trying to make a "comeback", as it were - I still prefer forums for randomised anything-goes discussion to Facebook, which all gets a bit specific and self-obsessed.
Mark, is there any chance of me having my old name back, or has it been consigned to the forum recycling bin?

Fred Basset
15th November 2008, 04:12
Just been on the nascar forum and there will soon be 1 month of threads on page 1 :mark:

At least Hazels still here :up: Does no other forum want her? :dog:

pino
15th November 2008, 07:03
Mark, is there any chance of me having my old name back, or has it been consigned to the forum recycling bin?

Just tell me what was your old name and I will put it back for you :)

Brown, Jon Brow
15th November 2008, 11:24
Almost all the old faces have disappeared that i used to chat to and theres still threads to the 25th of Oct on P1 of CC :mark:

Used to be a time when you'd get up each am and find a whole load of "replied to" threads all the way down P1

As for the Nascar page, well :(

And wheres my bud CarlMetro :(

And this isn't a "dig" at the forum either before anyone says. It just seems different to how it used to be before my enforced absence

btw.. how does one put a US flag next to their name here?? :dog:

I don't think we've ever had the pleasure?

I'm Mr Brown, Jon Brow :D

Fred Basset
15th November 2008, 13:18
Hi Jon! :wave:

I'm the one and only Fred Bassett with 2 "t's" although with the ban i got a long time ago when me and my bud BrownDog ran free on the forum for sometime, she left the forum and i got banned hence i have 1 "t" now :mark:

Funny thing is BrownDog only lives 2 hours from me down the road now since i moved here and got all responsible :dog:

MadCat
15th November 2008, 15:59
I seemed to have turned into a rare visitor to these parts now.

Still nice to come here from time to time, away from the politics of other forums.

Long may it live :)

Hazell B
15th November 2008, 17:20
At least Hazels still here :up: Does no other forum want her? :dog:

There are other forums? :confused:

Lizardking's fine. He rang the other evening and we're probably going for a day out within the next month or so.

Valve Bounce
16th November 2008, 00:39
Being on a different time zone to the majority of the members, I do find sometimes the forum is quiet during our daytime. Then, of course, it will be even quieter during the off season, unless someone starts a "fight" of some sort. Kicking bunsen in the arse helps to kick things along for awhile, but there are very few other drivers to pick on.

Maybe the answer is to try to compare whatever goes into F1 cars with any bits that might resemble, even in a distant way to our family cars. Maybe kers will help save petrol, at enormous cost to putting them into our cars in the first place.

The saddest part is the off season coincides with that of our footy season. :(

Fred Basset
16th November 2008, 01:44
There are other forums? :confused:

Lizardking's fine. He rang the other evening and we're probably going for a day out within the next month or so.

Tell him i was asking about his "well" being :bandit:

LeonBrooke
16th November 2008, 22:14
I used to come here a lot when I was at uni, but almost never since I've started working... I could slack off when at uni, but not when I'm at work... but I'm moving to Wellington soon, and until I start my new job at Wellington hospital, I'll be able to come here more frequently :)

El Sween
16th November 2008, 23:49
Just noticed I have been here for six years now. Where did that go? The forums have changed a lot since then. Too much aggression from posters these days and too much "my drivers better than yours". That's why I don't comment as much as before.

Valve Bounce
17th November 2008, 04:39
Just noticed I have been here for six years now. Where did that go?

Good grief!! I've been here for seven years. :(

Rudy Tamasz
17th November 2008, 06:59
I'm still here if that makes anybody feel better. ;)

Daniel
17th November 2008, 10:32
Just noticed I have been here for six years now. Where did that go? The forums have changed a lot since then. Too much aggression from posters these days and too much "my drivers better than yours". That's why I don't comment as much as before.

OMFG STFU my driver IS better than yours! :p

Bezza
17th November 2008, 14:46
I'm still here, although rarely on Chit Chat, mainly on the F1 Forum thesedays.

Scares me to think that when I joined I was 15! Now I'm 23! Lots has happened since then!

Once it was all delusional, PlatoFan and Austin Brammer, then it was BeansBeansBeans and oily oaf. Of course there was always Dave Blaney ;)

Thesedays I live in Salford with the misses :)

Still - Blackpool 1 PNE 3

:champion:

Some things never change! :D

Daniel
17th November 2008, 14:52
delusional

You still pining for her? :p

martinbalmer
17th November 2008, 15:13

It's because everyone is eating Crunchies on credit..

This forum has been caught out after lending members to other forums who could not pay them back.. :p :

harvick#1
17th November 2008, 15:24
welcome back Fred :wave:

I just think alot of people just moved on, I am occassionaly on here, but the Nascar room is dead, and its just politics in F1 and IRL boards.

LotusElise
17th November 2008, 22:29
Once it was all delusional, PlatoFan and Austin Brammer, then it was BeansBeansBeans and oily oaf.

Did anyone ever meet Oily Oaf in real life? He was a great forum character and was often extremely funny, but I have a sneaking suspicion he was not exactly who he claimed to be...
Did RaikkonenRules get banned or did he just wander off? He was pretty prolific poster last time I was a regular here.

leopard
18th November 2008, 02:12
I'm still here if that makes anybody feel better. ;)

I can either be silent or post opinion here whichever makes anybody feel better. :)

Azumanga Davo
18th November 2008, 13:54
Did anyone ever meet Oily Oaf in real life?

Perchance to dream... :D

Ian McC
24th November 2008, 07:20
Did anyone ever meet Oily Oaf in real life?

Those that did are still locked in his basement, never to return!

52Paddy
24th November 2008, 13:33
I agree Fred, doesn't have the same buzz about it. Ah well, you snooze you lose. Hello again everybody :wave:

stevie_gerrard
9th December 2008, 12:40
this is the first time ive been on for about 2 months, i've got so busy with work and modern day life, i have forgotten how to be lazy and spend my days on these forums :p :

It's good to see there are still a few people here i remember from the time ive been here, but its true to say that people come and go reguarly from this place. I miss Oily Oaf :( :p :

donKey jote
9th December 2008, 22:47
not as much as Miss Oily Oaf misses her carrots ;) :p :

:wave:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Cindy_AL
23rd February 2009, 18:38
Hate to drag out an old thread but was looking to see if any of my buddies here had posted their facebook page. I only know most by their user name and that just dont work at Facebook. :mark:
I've lost interest in racing but I miss my friends here. :(

Fred..... do you know how many people share your "real" name there?

(you can pm me with your link)

Hope everyone is doing well. :D

CarlMetro
1st March 2009, 22:31
Naw, Carl's a whole brand to himself :p :

Ain't that the truth :p :

Me? I occasionally flick through the CC, F1 and BTCC pages, sometimes contribute the odd thing to the wordgames thingy but like many others got fed up with all the 'my dad's better than your dad' crap that was going on and didn't seem to be moderated as it was when I first joined. That's not a reflection on the mods, but the forum got bigger with too many numptys posting so I sort of faded away.

Then I found the dark side that is Facebook and spend time on there playing chess and poker. Add me if you want, just look out for Carl Metrovich.

Fred Basset
2nd March 2009, 03:46
Hate to drag out an old thread but was looking to see if any of my buddies here had posted their facebook page. I only know most by their user name and that just dont work at Facebook. :mark:
I've lost interest in racing but I miss my friends here. :(

Fred..... do you know how many people share your "real" name there?

(you can pm me with your link)

Hope everyone is doing well. :D

You found me again Cindy.. thats all you need :dog:

As for my real name.. i believe i'm the only "bassett" here :D

emporer_k
3rd March 2009, 20:56
I can't believe it will be 6 years since I signed up next month (wherever did the time go).

I remember when my computer was being evil and not letting me on here and I had to acess the forums from uni. And feeling very plesed with myself when I managed to make the computer let me back in. I used to log in several times a day and I spent more time here than in lectures but sort of moved on and a bit, for reasons can't put my finger on but checked back from time to time.

Sometimes during my longer absences I used to wander what was going on on this forum, which is probarbly indicative of the fact I have no life. Anyway Im making a bit of a comeback.

Iain
11th May 2009, 08:07
I'm still about. :) I'm more of a browser than a poster these days.

pino
11th May 2009, 09:40

These days ? :confused: you meant these years ? :p :

Hazell B
11th May 2009, 17:56

Not good enough, young man.
I miss your posts :)

Eki
11th May 2009, 18:06
If you are a browser, which browser are you? Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome...

Magnus
11th May 2009, 18:24
Je suis here also!

52Paddy
11th May 2009, 19:19

Ah if it isn't yourself, which it is. I remember the amount of things you needed to tell me when I first came on here. Good memories, good memories :)

leopard
12th May 2009, 05:47
good, browsing trough forum will help giving members assistance.

I think these days is perceived more as lately, this month or last month...

Iain
12th May 2009, 07:51
These days ? :confused: you meant these years ? :p :

It's because I'm scared to go into the football thread because my team is rubbish. :p :

Not good enough, young man.
I miss your posts :)

I didn't have much to post. My font of knowledge has run dry!

If you are a browser, which browser are you? Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome...

I'm no longer human and I've morphed into Firefox. I'm really disappointed you didn't mention me feeding Pringles to ducks, Eki......

Ah if it isn't yourself, which it is. I remember the amount of things you needed to tell me when I first came on here. Good memories, good memories

Yes those were the days, ta for the Facebook add by the way. :)

PTW86
20th August 2009, 12:26
Oh wow, this place has changed! my log in clock says its been 4 years since I last logged in...

Daz and Iain just added me on Facebook and thought I would check in and say hello! i'm still alive and kicking!

Eki
20th August 2009, 13:47
I'm no longer human and I've morphed into Firefox. I'm really disappointed you didn't mention me feeding Pringles to ducks, Eki......

Yap, Pringle to ducks, pearls before swine.