PDA

View Full Version : the two best drivers of the season...

Mickey T
3rd November 2008, 21:15
...were not, in my opinion, the two who fought it out for the title on sunday.

both of them made plenty of shocking errors through the season and often drove like nonces. as did their teams.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that, for me, if i was building a team today and basing my driver payroll on 08 driver performances, i'd have:

1. F Alonso
2. S Vettel

as my main guys.

Vettel took a while to understand how to make it to Turn 2 in a Grand Prix, but when he did, he took Bourdais to the cleaners.

I'm still struggling to fathom the allocation of design, engineering and aero resources between the Red Bull teams, because the Toro Rosso was clearly the better car by mid-season.

About the same time, Renault came good. And Alonso shone, proving to the doubters that he still has it and, when the machinery is anywhere near him, he is capable of winning grands Prix on merit as well as luck.

cheeky and mischievous off track as well, especially when he was being tongue-in-cheek, less so when his inner demons were taking over.

As for the rest:

1. Hamilton.
sometimes drove like an absolute numpty. did he deserve the title? well, he won it, so you'd have to think yes, but, just like last year, his season was inconsistent and, at times, unconvincing. but, most of the time, he was incandescent.
If he could ditch the smugness, the manipulative cunning, the lateral moves under braking and keep the red-hot pussycat, he'd win a lot more friends.
impatience nearly cost him the title. if he'd waited another corner in Spa, it's hard to see how he could have lost the win, and it's not the only example.
massa v hamilton, who was more worthy? a coin toss, for mine.

2. Massa. Actually, you can photocopy Hamilton's season summary. Except the red-hot girlfriend. And the moves under brakes. And the smugness. and the cunning.
Massa's go has always been to disappear as hard as he can, but he has shown terrific racecraft this year as well. some of his overtaking moves have been brilliant, opportunistic and brave, which proved many doubters wrong.

why did he lose the title in the best car? It wasn't always the best car. ferrari and mclaren traded that honour through the season.

he probably shouldn't have been as close as he was. if the pit penalty in singapore was indicative, then he should have had a drive-thru and lost valencia. he was gifted points in Spa as well and let's not forget Kimi's present.

Had he won, he'd have deserved it just as much as hamilton did.

3. Kimi. kimi, kimi, kimi.
Steve Robertson is the smartest man in motorsport to organise kimi's mega dollar 2010 extension at ferrari.
in the rush of relief that followed no mclaren win in 07, people rewrote kimi's bio that year. at times in his championship year, kimi drove like crap.
this year, he drove like crap again. the big differences were that a) massa was better and b) only one mclaren took points off him this year.
according to my sources, it was the year where his utter disinterest in testing, development and engineering came home to roost, which is why he would be slow for the first stint and come good mid race so often. my guys tell me he was just trying to work out how to drive the car and, when he did, he took off.
not good enough. nowhere near it.

4. kubica.
What approached a stellar year sort of petered out. that may have been as a result of bmw putting a lot of brainpower into getting nick up to speed in qualifying (and altering the package from RK's preferences). it may also have been frustration that the development got halted in favour of the 09 car as soon as the season's objectives had been achieved.
still a coming man, he just needs to eradicate the Q2 starts.

the rest:

Heikki.
oh dear. for a man who took his first win, he's had an awful year. outclassed at almost every turn by his team mate, he couldn't shoulder a Toro Rosso off the front row in Monza and ended up an embarrassed second.
when the pressure was on and massa needed help at the end of the season, kimi was there to provide it.
where was heikki when the mclaren season was on the line and hamilton needed help? about 10th and buggerizing around with Red Bulls and Toyotas most of the time.
too slow, no challenge to his team mate and time is already running out on what was a promising career.

Heidfeld.
there's something to be said for bmw's sympathetic approach to driver management with nick. a consistent points gatherer, he's just the thing a team needs to have firing if it wants to challenge for the contructor's title in 09, not some blistering ego. so they worked hard to counter his awful first half (at some expense to RK's challenge) and he finished the season off by providing his team mate with a challenge and racing well.

webber.
drove some superb races and, as ever, qualified brilliantly. drove some less convincing races, too, but on the whole was never challenged by his team mate. less cursed with early reliability than he has been, he raked in points in the first half of the season, only to see the team's pace evaporate in the second half. even his one-lap talents couldn't regularly get him into Q3.

DC
an overdue retirement for a man who was given every opportunity to be world champion, but didn't take them.
still, a good guy and a good ambassador. can't help thinking he'd have been better thought of if he'd retired a year earlier.

trulli.
sporadic. sometimes brilliant, sometimes awful and harder to pass than a $7 note.

glock.
picked up from early disappointments and ended up having a solid year. challenged his vastly experienced team mate. surprised at his mental strength and resilience. will be a solid player into the future.

Rosberg
his star has dimmed, but it's not all his fault. drove some superb races and some superb qualifying sessions, too, but by the back end of the season, Williams' development had stuttered to a (comparative) halt.

nakajima.
frankly, surprising. and, on balance, surprisingly positive. there were tracks (brazil, for one) where he looked out of his depth and barrier shy. on other tracks where inexperience didn't bite so hard, he was competitive and feared no rival. surprised he outqualified his team mate as often as he did (though rosberg held the clear advantage).

piquet

you're not good enough, son. go home.

bourdais.
tough year against a coming man. tough breaks in races like Spa, where he went from podium to nowhere in half a lap. deserves another shot.

Honda:
err, the car's so bad, who would know? honestly? rubens came good late in the year, but the impression was that neither driver was giving it everything in the early to mid season.
and who could blame them?

F India

Fisi showed the thing wasn't awful in the wet (monza, brazil), but we know where fisi ranks in the show and sutil didn't knock him off enough, nor by enough.

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd November 2008, 21:43
Alonso has shown us why he is a two time world champion. He was very impressive and if Renault continue to make progress he will be in with a shout of the title next year.

Vettel will be a World Champion one day. But if he is driving for Red Bull it isn't going to be next year. I'd like to see him in a McLaren or a Renault next year. Hamilton/Vettel or Alonso/Vettel would be a dream team.

ioan
3rd November 2008, 21:47
Agree with the first post!

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd November 2008, 21:51
What was wrong with my post :(

:bigcry:

Daniel
3rd November 2008, 22:19
I disagree with you Mickey T and use Occums Razor as my reasoning and nothing else! You make too many assumptions in your post. The correct answer is almost always the simplest. Therefore the two best drivers are Felipe and Lewis.

donKey jote
3rd November 2008, 22:22
I agree with the sixth post aswell as the first :up:
dan you forgot the smileys :)
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

wmcot
3rd November 2008, 22:49
I agree with the sixth post aswell as the first
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Wait. Aren't YOU the 6th post?

wedge
3rd November 2008, 23:45
...were not, in my opinion, the two who fought it out for the title on sunday.

both of them made plenty of shocking errors through the season and often drove like nonces. as did their teams...

2. S Vettel

Vettel took a while to understand how to make it to Turn 2 in a Grand Prix, but when he did, he took Bourdais to the cleaners.

Don't know about you but not making past T2 during the first few GPs is easily classified as shocking errors in my book.

And as been said of Kubica, Vettel has never experienced the pressure of fighting for WDC in a multiple winning car on a race-by-race basis.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 00:05
Mickey! you forgot bunsen. :(

Mickey T
4th November 2008, 00:12
no i didn't.

bunsen forgot the season.

the honda guys got a generic rating.

largely out of sympathy, so i didn't have to single one of the poor buggers out.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 00:13
no i didn't.

bunsen forgot the season.

the honda guys got a generic rating.

largely out of sympathy, so i didn't have to single one of the poor buggers out.

That's not fair! he deserved a mention for setting the car alight after the race yesterday. :(

wedge
4th November 2008, 00:18
Why do you slag Piquet and yet put him above Bourdais who supposedly deserves the second chance saloon?

Mickey T
4th November 2008, 00:25
because bourdais actually outraced his team mate quite a few times through the year, especially in the first half.

he also put in some very fast practice and qualifying laps and he was incredibly impressive as Spa, which is regarded by the drivers as a true test of a driver.

the only time piquet outraced his team mate was when a kooky race strategy paid off. once.

and the biggest help he gave his team mate all year was when he crashed in singapore...

Mickey T
4th November 2008, 00:27
besides, they'll probably be together in toro rosso next year anyway, so we can see if their second seasons are any better...

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 00:49
OK!! what about Taku and ant?

wedge
4th November 2008, 00:50
because bourdais actually outraced his team mate quite a few times through the year, especially in the first half.

he also put in some very fast practice and qualifying laps and he was incredibly impressive as Spa, which is regarded by the drivers as a true test of a driver.

the only time piquet outraced his team mate was when a kooky race strategy paid off. once.

and the biggest help he gave his team mate all year was when he crashed in singapore...

then surely you should've ranked Bourdais ahead of Piquet :confused:

fugariracing
4th November 2008, 01:17
Bourdais could have had more points at the end of the tally - the engine meltdown in Melbourne from 4th, falling from 3rd to 7th at Spa on the dries, getting the bogus penalty at Japan, or failing to engage from the grid at Monza through no fault of his own. He made it to Q3 six times to Piquet's three.

Whereas Piquet lucked into most of his points and was woefully out of his depth in comparison to Alonso. The only driver in the field to not have outqualified his teammate on one occasion. Failed to advance from Q1 six times, three of the last eleven races when Alonso only twice got stuck in Q2.

Bourdais was better matched for Vettel with the older car before the new upgrade, but he was in a place where the younger Seb just had one of those years when a driver transcends his machinery. Bourdais was better than ordinary and IMO far deserves his place on the grid in the future more than Piquet based on what I saw this year.

I think Vettel is one of the two best but Hamilton should be up there almost as much - he did win the title after all.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 01:33
I'm surprised that Junior is still racing in F1 next year.

F1boat
4th November 2008, 07:04
I am maybe conservative, but I think that FM and LH were the best.

Mickey T
4th November 2008, 08:12
then surely you should've ranked Bourdais ahead of Piquet :confused:

it wasn't ranked. the order, apart from the first few went in teams or as i thought of their performances.

because their team mates were 1 and 2, they were kinda orphans.

besides, telling one to go home and saying the other was worthy of another shot seems self explanatory, doesn't it?

Ranger
4th November 2008, 08:21
I am maybe conservative, but I think that FM and LH were the best.

They were the 2 best drivers... in a consistently race-winning car this year.

I could whittle the top drivers to a shortlist of 4 or 5 who would be hard to separate.

PolePosition_1
4th November 2008, 08:29
I'm surprised that Junior is still racing in F1 next year.

I didn't realise Piquet was confirmed? I heard rumour Bourdais may be joining Renault, which I would love.

Going back to topic, my two drivers of the year would have to be Vettel and Alonso.

All year, they have been the most consistant, and when their cars came good, we saw statistical proof of this. With Alonso and Vettel being (1st + 4rd) top scorers out of the last 8 GPs.

Been a bit of a geek here for you all, and I've worked out the top 7 scorers from the last 8 races.

Alonso - 48
Massa - 43
Hamilton - 40
Vettel – 29
Kubica - 27
Heikki - 25
Raikkonen - 24

Now, to me thats mighty impressive. Renault, over course of the year has been the 4th best car (even then thats arguable), within the last 8 races, it has been the 4th / 3rd best car on the grid without doubt. And yet Alonso is the top scorer. There are 4 other drivers out there with a better car, yet he came out on top.

Same principles apply to Vettel, his car at last 8 races would be maybe the 5th fastest car, that means we have 8 drivers in better cars, yet he still beat them. Over course of the season, finishing 8th in the 6th best car, thats higher than he should be.

Without a doubt, Alonso and Vettel in my mind were the two best drivers this year.

I would say Massa was the forth best this year, behind Kubica.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 09:07
Going back to topic, my two drivers of the year would have to be Vettel and Alonso.

All year, they have been the most consistant, and when their cars came good, we saw statistical proof of this. With Alonso and Vettel being (1st + 4rd) top scorers out of the last 8 GPs.

Been a bit of a geek here for you all, and I've worked out the top 7 scorers from the last 8 races.

Alonso - 48
Massa - 43
Hamilton - 40
Vettel – 29
Kubica - 27
Heikki - 25
Raikkonen - 24

Now, to me thats mighty impressive. Renault, over course of the year has been the 4th best car (even then thats arguable), within the last 8 races, it has been the 4th / 3rd best car on the grid without doubt. And yet Alonso is the top scorer. There are 4 other drivers out there with a better car, yet he came out on top.

Without a doubt, Alonso and Vettel in my mind were the two best drivers this year.

Sorry for editing your post in my quote, but I just wanted to focus on Fonzo in my reply.

In the first half of the season, I had the impression that Fonzo was not happy to be at Renault, and was not equipped with a car with which he could compete with the top guys - he was fighting each race with Mark Webber.

Then there came a sudden change in fortunes and attitude and he was fighting with Kube Man and better. Then he was able to win races with the car.

Was it an improvement in the car or car plus Fonzo's attitude? Probably one followed the other.

He seemed happier towards the latter part of the season and his results, as shown by the quote above, improved dramatically. If this was the scenario at the start of the season, Fonzo possibly could have been champion.

I don't know what to make of it, except to say that his improvement was dramatic. He is a very good driver, make no mistake.

PolePosition_1
4th November 2008, 10:41
Sorry for editing your post in my quote, but I just wanted to focus on Fonzo in my reply.

In the first half of the season, I had the impression that Fonzo was not happy to be at Renault, and was not equipped with a car with which he could compete with the top guys - he was fighting each race with Mark Webber.

Then there came a sudden change in fortunes and attitude and he was fighting with Kube Man and better. Then he was able to win races with the car.

Was it an improvement in the car or car plus Fonzo's attitude? Probably one followed the other.

He seemed happier towards the latter part of the season and his results, as shown by the quote above, improved dramatically. If this was the scenario at the start of the season, Fonzo possibly could have been champion.

I don't know what to make of it, except to say that his improvement was dramatic. He is a very good driver, make no mistake.

Thats an interesting theory, one I disagree with tbh.

If you look at even the start of the season, he was pushing that car way above its potential, but to get it so high up, it meant he often exceeded the limit of the car, hence the mistakes. But I think he has maximised the car start to finish.

Though at the start, pushing over the limit, and hero or zero strategies, they looked poor.

pino
4th November 2008, 10:48
Two best drivers have been :

Lewis & Massa... followed by Vettel, Alonso and Kubica !

aryan
4th November 2008, 12:17
Awesome post Mickey T, awesome thread.

I found myself nodding in agreement reading it all way through. Really, you've summed up the season for all. Nothing to add here.

Tazio
4th November 2008, 12:50
Thats an interesting theory, one I disagree with tbh.

If you look at even the start of the season, he was pushing that car way above its potential, but to get it so high up, it meant he often exceeded the limit of the car, hence the mistakes. But I think he has maximised the car start to finish.

Though at the start, pushing over the limit, and hero or zero strategies, they looked poor.
I concur

It is obvious to those of us that actually watched the races.

My picks:

1)Fred, head and shoulders above the rest.

2)Hamiton or Vettel (take your pick)

Robinho
4th November 2008, 13:13
i actually though Alonso put in some shockers in the first half of the season at least, albeit trying to drag the car where it couldn't go, but Germany for instance springs to mind, where he spun several times.

i have to say he did have a great close to the season though at put in some great drives once the car was anywhere near competitive.

Vettel was brilliant at times, and stuck out from the crowd.

however the only reason we rememebr all of Felipe's, Hamiltons and Raikkonenes mistajkes is because they were near the front when they made them, i don't think that makes them unworthy winners, for my part i think it has been a highly inconsistent season from most of the drivers, but Alonso and Vettel cetainly do deserve mentioning in the same breath as Kimi, Lewis, Felipe, Kubica for their performances

Mifune
4th November 2008, 13:15
This thought has crossed my mind before but I don’t think it holds water in the end, to say who the best driver is rests on so many factors that you can slant to suit your purpose. I think Alonso, Vettel and Kubica had great seasons but in some sense they had an easier job mentally. No one expected too much from them and they had the freedom of being the guy coming up from the back or mid field, carving their place, whereas the established current front runners have far more considerations, protecting leads, thinking strategically in terms of the championship, dealing with intense pressure scrutiny from the media and their peers.
It just seems too glib and obvious to say Kubica did best; he had the least pressure and expectation. That’s not to say he didn’t do a fantastic job, and Alonso also really showed his worth towards the end of the season, however made his own bed and it was his lack of certain skills outside the car that put him in his present situation, I can’t imagine a Senna or Schumacher showing such poor judgement and petulant behaviour in the management of their career.
Being the best in F1 includes so much more than raw race performance, like those who say, “oh but Hamilton got straight into a good car”, yes he did because he managed his career and showed drive and ambition from a very early age. That opportunity was open to every driver in the field if they had the motivation. But he’s the one who actually did it and that might be hard to take for some but the facts speak volumes, in those terms I think only Vettel has the potential to eclipse him (and speaking as an unashamed fan of Hamilton) I hope he does because that’s what F1 is all about. Hamilton in a Mac versus Vettel in a Ferrari is a race I want to see.

Nancy YU
4th November 2008, 13:38
I agree with Micky,alonso and vettel are genius

donKey jote
4th November 2008, 20:48
Wait. Aren't YOU the 6th post?
I was, yes.
I also agree with post 31 btw ;)

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 21:46
Nobody cares about bunsen anymore. :(
I thought he was trying, very trying. :p :

truefan72
4th November 2008, 22:42
Hamilton and Alonso
Given equal machinery, they were neck and neck, both leading the WDC all year long and if one acquiesced to the other, either one could have won it.

In all honesty I think Alonso is still the best driver. I don't like his attitude, I am no particular fan of him, but on pure driving he is tops. Hamilton is only slightly behind him and lacks the experience that only years of top racing can give you (which Alonso has). I think that ultimately Hamilton will surpass Alonso in my book, but in 2008/2009 they are 1a and 1b in my book

next tier, Vettel, Kubica and Raikkonen
Of those 3, I rank Raikkonen tops. And his off year is either representative of his diminished interest in racing or simply an off year. If the latter is the case then Kimi is probably close if not part of the top 2 and is probably a 1c. (which he probably will be in 2009) Vettel is undoubtedly an exceedingly good driver and will only improve. But e will have to see how he performs under immense pressure and when called to compete constantly for expected GP wins and titles. Kubica is a bit of an enigma to me,but is still a top driver. Seems to have that special something.

tier below that
Felipe, Bourdias, Webber, Glock
Felipe. a product of circumstance and having an outstanding car. Very good qualifier and fast when conditions are ideal and if leading the race. In any other situation, he has proven to be average at best. He has made incredible strides in 2008 but I remain skeptical about his true abilities.

Bourdais. Watch out next year, I predict a top 7 WDC standing. Now that he has had a year under his belt and will probably assume the #1 status in the team along with Ferrari powered engines, He is likely to turn a few heads next year.

Webber, An enigma here too,but I do strongly believe that if Webber were in the 2nd Maclaren instead fo Kovy,he would have podiumed more and probably won 2 races. He is a really good driver who has always driven average cars.

Glock. I've warmed up to his abilities as the year has gone by and next year will be a banner year for him, He'll totally blow away Trulli and is my dark horse for winning a GP.

Valve Bounce
5th November 2008, 00:50
Hamilton and Alonso
Given equal machinery, they were neck and neck, both leading the WDC all year long and if one acquiesced to the other, either one could have won it.

Really!! and on whose record of results are you basing this on? I don't remember Fonzo leading the WDC at any stage, let alone running neck and neck, and I'm not aware that Fonzo was in a position at any stage to win the WDC.
And I don't think the Renault was equal to the McLaren at all.

You sure you're not thinking about bunsen?

pino
5th November 2008, 06:40
Hamilton and Alonso

In all honesty I think Alonso is still the best driver. I don't like his attitude, I am no particular fan of him, but on pure driving he is tops. Hamilton is only slightly behind him and lacks the experience that only years of top racing can give you (which Alonso has). I think that ultimately Hamilton will surpass Alonso in my book, but in 2008/2009 they are 1a and 1b in my book

next tier, Vettel, Kubica and Raikkonen
Of those 3, I rank Raikkonen tops. And his off year is either representative of his diminished interest in racing or simply an off year. If the latter is the case then Kimi is probably close if not part of the top 2 and is probably a 1c. (which he probably will be in 2009) Vettel is undoubtedly an exceedingly good driver and will only improve. But e will have to see how he performs under immense pressure and when called to compete constantly for expected GP wins and titles. Kubica is a bit of an enigma to me,but is still a top driver. Seems to have that special something.

tier below that
Felipe, Bourdias, Webber, Glock
Felipe. a product of circumstance and having an outstanding car. Very good qualifier and fast when conditions are ideal and if leading the race. In any other situation, he has proven to be average at best. He has made incredible strides in 2008 but I remain skeptical about his true abilities.

Bourdais. Watch out next year, I predict a top 7 WDC standing. Now that he has had a year under his belt and will probably assume the #1 status in the team along with Ferrari powered engines, He is likely to turn a few heads next year.

Webber, An enigma here too,but I do strongly believe that if Webber were in the 2nd Maclaren instead fo Kovy,he would have podiumed more and probably won 2 races. He is a really good driver who has always driven average cars.

Glock. I've warmed up to his abilities as the year has gone by and next year will be a banner year for him, He'll totally blow away Trulli and is my dark horse for winning a GP.

Dear friend, this thread is about the best drivers of this season, how can you put Kimi ahead of Massa ? :crazy: and what Bourdais is doing in your list ? :s Toro Rosso didn't even confirm him yet ! As for Glock to blow Trulli away next year...stop dreaming ;)

jens
5th November 2008, 08:51
I think we quite recently had a thread about this year's drivers performances. It appeared a couple of GP's before the season finale though. What about a merge? ;)

Tazio
6th November 2008, 20:38
Hamilton and Alonso

Not a bad pick
However I would put lewis in the second group.
It's my opinnion that Fred is without equal.
As for their endearing hatred of each other!

While the banter goes on in the peanut gallery over their adversarial relationship.
Fred, and Lewis are laughing all the way to the bank!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/motorsport/2008/11/05/3pm-video-why-lewis-hamilton-and-fernando-alonso-don-t-get-on-115875-20871913/

Sleeper
6th November 2008, 22:40
For me the best driver of the year has been Kubica, besides his off at Silverstone I cant think of a serious mistake that he's made all year and was a regular on the podium for 2/3rds of the year before the BMW started lagging. Relentlessly fast as well.

Hamilton second for me, despite some dreadful mistakes he's been very fast as well and consistently on the pace.

Massa has had a very good year, and largely removed the off weekends that he has sufferred before, But whenever Kimi has been really on it, Massa has been behind so I've stil got questions on just how good he is.

Alonso has had a very up and down season. In my mind he is without doubt the best driver in the field and proved it billiantly over the last 5 or 6 races, but for the first 10 or so races this year he was seriously overdriving the Renault and just seemed not to care to much, the result being far too many mistakes.

Vettel, seemed to have trouble finding the end of lap 1 at the start of the race but after the new car came on line he was suppurb. However, it was notable that when Bourdais, who is a very talanted driver but not a great, had a good weekend they were neck and neck.

truefan72
6th November 2008, 22:59
Really!! and on whose record of results are you basing this on? I don't remember Fonzo leading the WDC at any stage, let alone running neck and neck, and I'm not aware that Fonzo was in a position at any stage to win the WDC.
And I don't think the Renault was equal to the McLaren at all.

You sure you're not thinking about bunsen?

ahem, wuz thinking about overall

Dear friend, this thread is about the best drivers of this season, how can you put Kimi ahead of Massa ? :crazy: and what Bourdais is doing in your list ? :s Toro Rosso didn't even confirm him yet ! As for Glock to blow Trulli away next year...stop dreaming ;)

my fault, should have read the title better

Valve Bounce
6th November 2008, 23:28
ahem, wuz thinking about overall

Just for ioan's sake then, could we please include SchM?

leopard
7th November 2008, 06:58
My bets are still Alonso and Hamilton in tie.

markabilly
8th November 2008, 19:23
Next year it may be tough to keep FA in his place as being a non-contender.

No question that vettle and FA made their mark in F1 this year. The drive by Vettel was first class at Monza, and if he has a car equal to or close to Ferrari or Mac, he will challenge....but.....

2007, FA tied LH for the wdc, and given him what he lost as a result of the spat over the pitstop during Qing, where hamilton was the one refusing to obey team orders where FA had previously honored similar orders at earlier races (and then resulting bow up resulting in Mac blowing away 100 million...)he would have been the WDC for 2007 as all he would have needed was 2 additional points.

With Renault, next year will be interesting...and will HK be given the same heavy fuel loads during Qing to keep him out of the way of Hamilton?

Meanwhile had Bemmer hired FA in 2008, they might be celebrating a WDC or even a WCC, but they remained an also ran in 2008 and now hope to repeat their outstanding success for 2009 Based on their own press releases) and be another also ran.

Ferrari may continue to slide down hill with Luca running things and trying to satisfy his ego, leaving LH and FA to battle it out for the WDC ....my bet

Valve Bounce
9th November 2008, 01:17
Ferrari may continue to slide down hill with Luca running things and trying to satisfy his ego, leaving LH and FA to battle it out for the WDC ....my bet

No way - I have it on good authority that ioan knows Ferrari's Massa will win the championship. And for those who don't believe me, just ask ioan yourself!!

BeansBeansBeans
9th November 2008, 14:25
Hamilton & Massa were the best drivers in 2008, in my opinion. Sure, they both made errors, but they also put in some incredible performances.

Alonso, Vettel and Kubica deserve honourary mentions also.

goodf1fun
10th November 2008, 14:32
Best driver for 2008 : Vetel in my opinion

Knock-on
10th November 2008, 15:34
Well, I've let the dust settle a bit before answering this one.

The contenders:

Hamilton
Massa
Vettel
Kubica
Alonso

Lewis:

Drove some spectacular races and really demonstrated why he is number 1. However, there were a couple of mistakes which need to be taken into account, particularly Canada.

Massa.

Most improved driver for sure but what the hell were him and Kimi doing? The Ferrari was clearly the best car out there and should have wrapped the WDC and WCC before the last race. The fact that they were in with a shout of the WDC going to Brazil was only thanks to some disgraceful interventions by the FIA.

Seb.

Gave some great performances and is definitely in the ascendancy.

Rob.

Very consistent all year and punched above his weight. Not exactly spectacular but superb driving.

Freddy.

OK, he was a bit all over the place early in the season but came back strong, showing just what we enjoy watching him for.

My top 2 are Lewis and Fernando followed by Kube, Massa and Seb in that order.

Valve Bounce
11th November 2008, 01:50

The contenders:

Hamilton
Massa
Vettel
Kubica
Alonso

Lewis:

Drove some spectacular races and really demonstrated why he is number 1. However, there were a couple of mistakes which need to be taken into account, particularly Canada.

Massa.

Most improved driver for sure but what the hell were him and Kimi doing? The Ferrari was clearly the best car out there and should have wrapped the WDC and WCC before the last race. The fact that they were in with a shout of the WDC going to Brazil was only thanks to some disgraceful interventions by the FIA.

Seb.

Rob.

Very consistent all year and punched above his weight. Not exactly spectacular but superb driving.

Freddy.

OK, he was a bit all over the place early in the season but came back strong, showing just what we enjoy watching him for.

My top 2 are Lewis and Fernando followed by Kube, Massa and Seb in that order.

You forgot bunsen - if you consider that he had to drive a Honda, then maybe he could qualify as the best driver this year. :p :

OK, maybe not :(

Tazio
11th November 2008, 02:25

The contenders:

Hamilton
Massa
Vettel
Kubica
Alonso

Lewis:

Massa.

Seb.

Rob.

Freddy.

My top 2 are Lewis and Fernando followed by Kube, Massa and Seb in that order.Can't we even give Kimi an honorable mention? :(

Knock-on
11th November 2008, 10:50
Can't we even give Kimi an honorable mention? :(

Why?

WDC in a car capable of winning the championship and he's nowhere.

Might just as well give a mention to Heikki for turning up.

Bull On Edge
11th November 2008, 12:39
It really pains me to say this but I vote for Alonso.

Second is an absolute tie between Massa and The current World Champion LEWIS.

Yes I am a big Lewis fan, but he is not yet the force he could be, along with Massa he has done some pretty good driving this year and along with Massa he has made some great big mistakes.

I think if Ferdy was in a Rarri or a McLaren he would have won the championship with several races to spare.

donKey jote
11th November 2008, 20:05
I think if Ferdy was in a Rarri or a McLaren he would have won the championship with several races to spare.
not if Rarri or Ron were racing against him again ;) :p :

Lalo
11th November 2008, 20:19
Definitly Alonso and Vettel!!

raphael_2
11th November 2008, 21:27
Vettel? Do you guys not remember how poor he was at the beginning of the season? If we're looking at who was the best driver at the end of the season, then Vettel could be an option, but not over the course of 2008.

The two best drivers this year were:

1) Alonso
2) Kubica

Alonso made some errors when taking gambles at the start of the year, and Kubica faded during China and Brazil, but apart from that - they have both been exceptional. While Massa made some major mistakes at the start of the season, and though was unbelievable on a dry track, when out front in the lead, if he was in any other scenerio, he was average, good at best. While Lewis made mistakes, and had a very inconsistent season, and had the great race here and there, but not over the course of the season.

Valve Bounce
12th November 2008, 01:33
................then, of course, there's Lewis Hamilton!! who is almost as good a driver as bunsen. :p :

6wheeler
12th November 2008, 15:29
Both Massa and Hamilton made some serious errors. The fire in the drive of Alonso in a car that was just starting to come back, highly regarded.
But driver of the year......their can be only one.

Sebastian Vettel

13th November 2008, 13:09
I didn't realise Piquet was confirmed? I heard rumour Bourdais may be joining Renault, which I would love.

Alonso - 48
Massa - 43
Hamilton - 40
Vettel – 29
Kubica - 27
Heikki - 25
Raikkonen - 24

Same principles apply to Vettel, his car at last 8 races would be maybe the 5th fastest car, that means we have 8 drivers in better cars, yet he still beat them. Over course of the season, finishing 8th in the 6th best car, thats higher than he should be.

pole position1 thats all i hear off you is alonso alonso alonso.

he is a very talented driver but not the best by a long way.
you are the type of person who drives a saxo and thinks hes in a porsche

Knock-on
13th November 2008, 13:37
pole position1 thats all i hear off you is alonso alonso alonso.

he is a very talented driver but not the best by a long way.
you are the type of person who drives a saxo and thinks hes in a porsche

Really :confused:

I thought he made a good arguement and is entitled to his point of view.

Perhaps for your first post, you might like to offer something objective to the thread and your opinion.

I might guess it would be Massa ;)

donKey jote
14th November 2008, 20:02
"The People have spoken and Fernando is the best driver of the season"
http://timesonline.typepad.com/formula_one/2008/11/the-people-have.html

The masters
1. Fernando Alonso - 1,071.5
2. Lewis Hamilton - 1,061.5
3. Felipe Massa - 989

woody2goody
19th November 2008, 22:04
1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Massa
4. Vettel
5. Kubica
6. Trulli
7. Webber
8. Heidfeld
9. Raikkonen
10. Kovalainen

Christina
24th November 2008, 01:52

I love how you compare Bordais and Piquet by how they performed against their team-mates, but did you compare the actual team mates? Bordais is running against Vettel, who is undoubtedly talented, but is still only in his first full season in F1. Whereas Piquet is running against Fernando Alonso. Two time world champ who has been racing in F1 since 2001. Not the best base for a comparison is it?

Add to this the fact that the Renault this season has been an absolute dog for the majority of the time and the Toro Rosso is last year's Red Bull car with a new paint job and a few modificatons.

ioan
24th November 2008, 08:10
... the Toro Rosso is last year's Red Bull car with a new paint job and a few modificatons.

The Toro Rosso is this year's Red Bull car, not the last year's one.

PSfan
24th November 2008, 18:14
The Toro Rosso is this year's Red Bull car, not the last year's one.

Um, it was last years Red Bull upto Monaco IIRC, and then was then it was this years Red Bull, and probably not current spec until later in the season when developments slowed allowing Team Torro to catch up...

Mickey T
17th January 2009, 09:37
I love how you compare Bordais and Piquet by how they performed against their team-mates, but did you compare the actual team mates? Bordais is running against Vettel, who is undoubtedly talented, but is still only in his first full season in F1. Whereas Piquet is running against Fernando Alonso. Two time world champ who has been racing in F1 since 2001. Not the best base for a comparison is it?

didn't seem to worry a young bloke called Lewis in 2007, did it? you're good enough to be there or you're not. and he's not.

you're also selective, because i mentioned that he put in terrific qualifying through the season's early stages and drove superby in belgium - against all comers, not just his team mate.